Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Traffic & Commuting Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,274 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I fail to see the hypocrisy Andrew. In fact it's just the opposite.

I want the laws of the land to be interpreted correctly by those whose job it is to put them into effect, in this case the local authority.

And I want the laws of the land to be enforced correctly by those whose job it is to enforce them, in this case the Gardaí.

My position is utterly consistent, it's your own makey uppey, everything for bikes is good, even if its not legal stance that you could do with taking a long look at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,214 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

How can the Gardai get to enforce the laws when you're intimidating those who plan to report offenders to the Gardai with your stitches threat?

And feel free to point out where I said that "everything for bikes is good even if not legal " so I can take a long hard look at it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,198 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I wonder if the members of the National Economic and Social Council hang out with a few of the cycling fascists from this thread. The whiff of cart before the horse anti car fundamentalism smells about the same.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/cut-number-of-parking-spaces-to-discourage-car-ownership-committee-to-be-told-41249699.html

While it's certainly a contentious issue of policy and will get more adversarial in the next few years, it's not really a Dun Laoghaire Thread issue is it?

We do discuss specific locations in the area, but national policy debates aren't a matter for us, I suggest.

We should all be on the look out for cycling fascists. Please call your local antifa group if they are seen in your area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Was away for a few days and when I came back today I was delighted to see that "the gap" as its known locally has been closed at long last. I refer to the gap in the poles on Leopardstown Road at the junction with Leopardstown Avenue. No more will we have to witness the gobshites trying to make an illegal right turn to and from Leopardstown Avenue. One very happy bunny here. 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Mav11

At the risk of standing accused of resurrecting a zombie thread (genius idea to split the old DL thread into two BTW) and almost 12 months on from the post above, I cycled along Georges st and Myrtle Sq. today and it is NOTHING like the depiction above. Lr Georges st itself is full of traffic, fumes, oil spattered roadway and dirt. I imagine this is because the street cleaners can't get at it because of the traffic.

Myrtle sq. has gone from having great beginnings and potential last year, to a fairly dirty and grotty area. No planters, trees or atmosphere as depicted above, just a few stained, grimy sad tables and benches. Doesn't look like it has been washed down for ever!

A great area and attraction in 2021 has become everything that the former poster taxiperson said incorrectly that it was back then.

Shameful really!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

DLR intend to lodge a Part 8 planning application soon that will seek to permanently pedestrianise part of George's Street and that will also incorporate works to Myrtle Square. The aim is to have the whole process completed by summer 2023. And yes, it is quite shabby now but it's definitely an improvement on what was there previously, let's hope the Part 8 addresses the obvious issues outstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

Crofton Road was a nightmare when this was trialled last year with traffic often being brought to a stand still along its entire length. Yeah, it was a nice idea in theory. In practice, it was introduced without a hollistic approach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

On the contrary I thought this worked quite well brought more life into the town. And I didn't find it that disruptive to buses the routing via Crofton Road is actually slightly shorter than the routing via Marine Road and Lwr George's Street for the 46a/63/75 which alleviates some of the issues caused by additional traffic created for buses meaning its a bit of a much of a muchness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,587 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I thought it was quite successful, certainly a much more wellcoming part of the town to shop in.

i’d hazard a guess and say the businesses were up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Thought the same thing passing through on Tuesday. Trees have been removed along with public toilets and it now looks pretty sad. Having said that there quite a lot of people using the picnic benches for lunch so it goes to show if you create the space (even a shady, grotty one!) people will use it. Would be great if the planning application referred to by other posters is the reason for the hopefully temporary backwards step.

The few times I drove down this stretch of road at peak times begs to differ. I'm sure it was fine off peak.

It was also fine at peak times, an attractive public space where people could get away from traffic.

BTW the fact that you drove down might be the reason that you missed the point.

that pretty much typifies Dun Laoghaire council though. They spend money on capital projects but then don't bother to maintain them so everything ends up looking shabby and grotty. The only exception is the almost obsessive way they maintain the People's park.

The library is looking shabby, Hudson Park is becoming overgrown with thistles and weeds and as stated, Myrtle Sq is looking awful.

What point?

It sounds as though you are saying that re-routing cars via Crofton Road had no affect on car traffic which IS far from the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,587 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Its lookkng shabby as the plan was put on hold so as to link up wity the newer mastsrplan of georges street

The thistles dtc are in hudson park as part of a national campaign to support wildlife in particularly bees

i get the wildlife and bees bit, but there are thistles growing in and around the area that children are supposed to play in. in fact, there are weeds growing out of every pavement in and around the Glasthule area.

me thinks the bees are an excuse for the council to do nothing.

What point?

The point is whether traffic is part of the problem or the solution to the sad and grotty nature that the area has degenerated into over the past 12 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,617 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

If they really want to help the bees, why not plant lavender or other bee friendly plants with high quality pollen and nectar as opposed to grass, dandelions and thistles which have low amino acid content and aren't all that good for the bees. The equivalent of feeding them only on rice cakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Have we sorted out the deansgrange traffic yet? Lol

You hit the nail on the head about an excuse for the council to do nothing. Just stop mowing. You'd think that they might shift themselves and put in a few wildflower seeds. Or would that be too much effort?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Wont be sorted until they build the flyover !!!

Fascinating to see how the Beacon managed to operate profitable billboards on Council owned land for twenty years, despite safety risks to traffic.

Article is from yesterday's Sunday Times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

The Results of last years Summer Streets Trial have been published.

You can read the short overview document here:https://www.dlrcoco.ie/sites/default/files/atoms/files/dl_summer_streets_evaluation_summary_report_f0.pdf

The 99 page full reportcan be found here:https://www.dlrcoco.ie/sites/default/files/atoms/files/dl_summer_streets_evaluation_report_f0.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,318 ✭✭✭markpb

It’s odd that the sign went up on public property, I’d love to know how that came about.

I’m not sure I buy the road safety reason though. There are billboards all over the city, some of them near major junctions and no one is calling for their removal.

Well, it would seem from a cursory read through, that the reaction, despite all the hype to the contrary, has been overwhelmingly positive. DLRCC now need to get off their ars*s and implement it permanently, as per the recommendation. The summer is half gone already!

As per reports to the Councillors at various meetings in May and June, the Council aren't going to close George's Street Lower at all this summer.

They have undertaken to prepare a detailed 'Part 8' proposal to be published around October, containing solutions to all the issues raised by this assessment report and by stakeholders. This will go to public consultation with a view to having a plan agreed for Summer 2023.

In the meantime, the approved Part 8 to do the full improvement on Myrtle Square and Convent Lane will go to construction.

Its worth noting that at the abovementioned Meetings, Councillors expressed serious concerns about the bus services and misgivings from many businesses not involved in hospitality, which will not easily be addressed by any full closure of Gs Street to traffic.

I certainly will be fighting to keep the street open to limited traffic; buses, taxis, cycles and delivery vehicles. I believe there will be more than enough safe public realm space in the area, in what has already been approved, without the unacceptable consequence of removing bus services from the Hospital and Bloomfields, where they are needed most by those who can do without them the least.

Well, 81% of residents and 67% of customers would disagree with you. If you read the report or even the summary you will note that access to the hospital and shopping centre has been identified as an issue that will need to be addressed.

Also I think it is more about providing attractive public realm spaces, which you can never have too much of, the provision of such benefits everybody, including businesses.

• Advertisement

Yeah let's just wait for the Part 8 shall we? The Councillors will hear directly from stakeholders, in no uncertain terms.

I read the report of course, but I did notice on social media that even some zealots described the findings of the report, around traffic volumes and displacement, as not reflecting the "lived experience".

And really, you can have too many public realm spaces, attractive or otherwise, if they take away public transport services from those that most need them and where they need them the most.

There's many a pedestrianised shopping area in towns across the UK that are basically derelict. Not only because of pedestrianisation, certainly, but it does demonstrate that its no panacea either.

Advertisement