Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod Note Post #1 - The 2022 All Ireland Senior Football Championship.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Two eventful games in a poorly attended Croke Park (games should never have been staged there)

Roscommon will be left wondering how they let a 5 point lead slip with 67 minutes played. Clare to their credit never dropped their heads and the late penalty was the lifeline they needed. 

Second game Kildare looked like causing a huge upset 6 ahead at one stage? Much improved defensively from the Leinster but Mayo used all their experience grit and determination. Mayo fitness and conditioning it up there with the best which is why you can't rule them out against anyone. 

• Registered Users Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

I'm not condoning it, I hate to see it, my own club is one of the worst at it but Kildare were at it from around 50 minutes today. My sympathy wouldn't go too far for them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Love seeing idiot goalkeepers getting caught out. Also there is definitely no cure for the stupidity of having those two games in Croke Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Impossible job for the refs to do with the speed of the game and if they got a genuine decision wrong and let play go on, there would be war.

Video analysis would stamp it out overnight at the top of the game. One match automatic ban and it stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,932 ✭✭✭doc_17

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Mayo are done. I thought maybe they could build towards something this season after a slow start but no, they are not good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Yes Kildare we’re gassed after 60 on the clock . If they had 80 I’m them they would have won

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭HBC08

Also if kildare had scored more than Mayo they would have won.

If my aunty had balls....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭snowgal

Honestly, don’t know what I’m missing here ( as in the last at least 2 years) how he is still on starting 15, maybe even panel, is beyond me. He contributes so little in reality and I genuinely think the team click so much better when he’s not on. Slows the whole team imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭snowgal

Also, the game at Croke park today was as people bad predicted, a disaster… feck all fans from all counties, even Mayo… a lot of fans did not travel…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I'd say 15k were at the match, they will probably release it eventually.

I'm also gonna jump on the conspiracy that sky sports were given the pick of the matches and wanted them both in CP because its easier to broadcast from there, and perversely it suits them if it's harder for the fans to travel as it boosts their viewership aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭recyclebin

The seagulls kept the numbers up in Croke Park again today! They were in the camera shots a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I wouldn't be too harsh on the keeper coming out as having that big an impact on the result. It was the two dodgy kickouts before that that really let him down, but it was the teams overall composure and fitness that lost the game today.

Too many wides, we had plenty of opportunity to keep the scoreboard ticking over and could have stretched the lead when we were on top, instead we were too gassed to defend the lead and let mayo back into it.

I'm glad we went out on a competitive note, Happy with the changes made to the team, they really made an impact defensively with david hyland and fergal Conway bringing a bit of fight (and experience) that was lacking in the leinster final. I don't think this kildare team are as bad as the Dublin result would indicate and hopefully they have redeemed themselves and gotten some big game experience that can stand to them going into next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

The thing of calling keepers up for frees needs to stop. Clock needs to start once the free is awarded and you get X amount of seconds to take it.

And it's not even working. At least 3 times today the keepers came up to take a free and missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,601 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Not sure. I'd say a player would take the suspension if it helped his team win an AIF, possibly a semi or QF. To me the basis of the solution has to lie in adding on enough injury time (clue is in the name) to cover any stoppage, whether legit or not. Then you're gaining no advantage from simulation, well maybe a little bit from hindering the opposition's 'flow'...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Can you tell me how different Mayos win and performance was much different to wins against the likes of Derry,Tipp,Fermanagh etc was in recent years. If Mayo are on the Derry,Galway side of the draw on Monday i will expect them to reach another Al Ireland final.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭neiphin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭MfMan

Based on what? Mullin's goal was fortuitous, only for it, it's unlikely Mayo would have prevailed. They would probably beat Derry but no guarantee they'll beat Galway again (or whoever wins that 1/4 final), they're not playing at all well enough. At this moment, a repeat of the 1983 final looks on the cards, with the same outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,097 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

I'd rather Galway, to be fair, like Roscommon they have a poor enough record in croke park recently

I can't believe you are cat calling us out of the championship ye are probably one of the best teams remaining, ye will kill mayo let alone us

How about we go first half football, second half hurling if we do meet in the semi final 😜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Fortune favours the brave. Based on experience know how at this stage of the competition compared to Derry,Galway the last number of years count for a lot. Many years during the qualifiers they didn't look to be playing well but came good in the quarter and semi final.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,097 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Just to defend the lad he is our 3rd choice keeper due to injuries

If you want to point a finger of blame, Declan O'Keefe is your man , multiple all Ireland winner from Kerry living in the banner for years now and the worst goalkeeping coach in the country , the only flaw on Colm Colin's resume

• Registered Users Posts: 8,233 ✭✭✭threeball

It's not only the time aspect. It's the blatant cheating. Ruane tried to get the guy in his incident sent off by inferring he was struck in the face when he hadn't even touched his body at all. In a tight game like today a sending off could have a huge impact and in this case it would have been a case of duping the officials. Players who do this should be retrospectively give match bans.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

If it was different players for different counties there would be uproar.

COC also trying to take a Kildare player out and went down “injured”

Depending on opposition O Shea plays but some teams he’s a passenger. Wouldn’t be in my starting 15 every time. If you need runners he’s not your man to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I think missing a game would be a fairly big deterrent. Added to what you say about making sure enough time was added, it would almost completely stamp it out imo... It would certainly reduce it significantly.

We were at it yesterday, but so were Kildare while they were ahead. I don't think there's a team in the country that wouldn't do it to varying degrees.

Stopping the other teams "flow" or being able to set yourself defensively is as big a part of it as wasting time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,700 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The problem is if you have a serious incident the ref would get cruficied. We really need this to be taken out of regs control and co sider video analysis afterwards and hand out suspensions or add yellow cards for it so a.players would suffer a ban of it and as happening continually.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

The other thing is wasting the time while you have a player in the sinbin from a black card.

like Tyrone managed v Armagh, had 3/4 injuries during those 10 mins - “game management”

• Registered Users Posts: 26,582 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Sinbin just doesn't work properly in a game that doesn't have a stopped clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,700 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Yes but the target is not to just time waste but to slow the momentum of the opposing team. You are 3 points up with 5-10 minutes to go if the momentum is with you a opposing team player goes down, if it's starting to go against you you go down.

This is all about breaking or preventing momentum. I do not blame players for doing it but that is what is happening.band it similar if you use a player to a black card. Was there one incident last year where there was only 6 minutes playing time during a BC incident

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

I thought i seen this in soccer where they're stretchered off and treated on the sideline

It's routine now at the end of games, stopping the watch won't work cos it's too pc now to play with someone lying down

Advertisement