Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Now that the dust has settled on the season and two bitterly disappointing losses, where does Leinster go from here? Ignoring the trolls who have infested this thread. Claiming the side lacks desire is one of the worst attempts I've seen in a while.

The coaches devised a new gameplan to help get around the hard nosed packs we struggled against. And for much of the season it worked. We played some of the best attacking rugby I've ever seen from a Leinster side. The handling ability of the forwards has come on in leaps and bounds and we were able to play around sides rather than through them.

I think we also developed physically as well. We bowled over a Leicester side at home who had taken apart every other Premiership side up to that point. Last seasons defeat to La Rochelle was different to this seasons as well. Back then we were beaten up, but this season we more than held our own.

Honestly, I think decision making was the big killer. We had a solid gameplan and greater physicality compared to last season. But when the pressure came on we made errors in attack. Made offloads which shouldn't have been thrown and dropped passes which also shouldn't have gone to ground. Against La R especially we reverted to a more one out game which we really didn't need to, as we weren't losing the physical exchanges as badly as previously.

Post edited by Clegg on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭A-Train

With a cooler head this morning then last night, I agree with your points.

Where dies the team go from here? Hopefully take the learnings from the losses?

The lack of desire is a massive disappointment.

Post edited by A-Train on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Short hiatus, but in brief:

• To the majority of Leinster fans, commiserations. (I know more than most how sh*te it is to lose a semi-final).
    • From minute 1, Bulls were unbelievably physical in the tackle and at the ruck. Coetzee and Louw in particular were outstanding.
    • Having said that, Leinster had the chances to win it. I felt at the time they should have taken the points at least once from the penalties they were winning.
    • Was it just me or was some of the commentary on Premier Sport really weird?? I’m almost positive I heard them suggest ~50 mins that the Bulls are still in with a chance? They were 3 points up at the time.
    • Whatever way you slice it, the URC, and addition of the SA teams, has been a huge success. And that was during a Covid-interrupted season.
    • Pretty poor attendance all things considered.
    • To the select couple of posters who were aghast at booing in other provincial grounds during the season. Any thoughts?
    • To the select poster who bemoaned the URC, and wrote off the new SA teams mid-season. Any thoughts?
    • Hopefully Ulster do the business now.
    Post edited by aloooof on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

You have to hand it to the Bulls. Travelling over 8000 miles on a 6-day turnaround and getting the job done when they've had their best players - the likes of Snyman, etc. - picked off by wealthy sides overseas. If Leinster had gone down to SA and won it would have been all 'the best non-international team in the world' and the like.

When the Bulls repelled the early Leinster pick and drive onslaught with the game still scoreless it made me think that it's all very well using those tactics against the likes of Ulster, Glasgow, etc. but you need a bit more intelligence if the other team can stand up to those sort of bullying plays.

Would Leinster have won if they started Sexton? I suppose those are the kind of selection gambles coaches make. You'd have to think there was an element of underestimating the opposition, though.

I don't agree with the comments saying it's worrying for Ireland. Even if a lot of players are the same it's different teams with different coaches. There wasn't much correlation between Leinster and Ireland performances/results in 2011/2012 and in 2014/2015, so why would there be now?

That's a pretty poor way to end a season. I was relatively apathetic about the game last night, the URC has offered up good contests at times but consistently Leinster have been a level above (as has been reflected in the last 4 titles) and much like with Dublin in the GAA it begins to feel a bit gratuitous.

I didn't expect the players to be similarly apathetic but that's what came across throughout the game. We matched the Bulls physically (contrary to some of the nonsense I see quoted) but we didn't match their urgency or determination. It was most telling at times when we needed players to get back into the defensive line and where once there was an aggressive need to hold shape last night a saw players simply jogging back into position giving the Bulls much easier territory than they should have.

That mixed with countless uncharacteristic handling errors and a failure to capitalise on attacking line outs was the game. I was at the last Bulls game and whilst you could see the promise I thought Leinster were a long way ahead of them in terms of our developed game plan. I still think that, but for us to impose that we need to be at or near the top of our game and we just aren't at the moment.

This would have been a more forgivable result had we toppled La Rochelle, but the manner of the loss hints at a malaise or fatigue that is concerning from an Ireland perspective. I'm left to wonder did having such a large contingent contesting the six nations have an impact on the business end of the club season. I don't think either of the recent losses saw Leinster at their best, so I'm trying to understand what underscores the drop in performance.

Whatever about LaRochelle, the Bulls are no bigger or more physical than teams we are consistently capable of beating and to my mind the physical contest was a match (and no doubt statistics around the contact area will back this up). Where we fell down was our utility with possession and our lack of conversion inside the Bulls 22 and most of that was down to individual errors. Pressure sure - but that's not a new phenomenon.

A bad day at the office and a question mark over a couple of players (Ross Byrne in particular). A wider concern over the condition of the frontline playing squad with a Summer tour on the horizon.

Still though - a memorable season with some terrific performances and a lot of caps for up and coming talent. Good to focus on the positives rather than wading in disappointment. What are peoples best memories of the season? I think mine was Soroka's "WTF" at the end of the Stormers game!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Leinster 89 - 7 Montpellier

Leinster 76 - 14 Glasgow

La Rochelle 24 - 21 Leinster (when Leinster were 16-point favourites or something)

Leinster 26 - 27 Bulls (Leinster 20 odd point favourites pre-match)

It's hard to disagree with TRC's assessment.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Venjur - ‘A wider concern over the condition of the frontline playing squad with a Summer tour on the horizon.’

that for me now is the most pressing thing moving on from the last few disappointing weeks. Last week at RDS could really see how some of them were struggling and absolutely gassed, that doesn’t always show on tv. You’d really worry about the tour and what shape they’ll be in after it, what knocks they’ll pick up.

Jenkins coming in will help as he's a massive lump. Extra forward power is always welcome even if I think it's not the thing which we're most deficient in. I think we have to seriously look at someone other than Ross Byrne at 10 as well. He struggled under pressure against both La Rochelle and the Bulls. Maybe have a look at Frawley? But the most important area must surely centre around mental skills and decision making. Too many poor choices were made when the players weren't under pressure.

And what we're doing at set piece has to be re-evaluated. Our lineout was taken apart in a way that I've never seen before. Sheehans throwing was on the money, but time and again the call and lift were well scouted.

Leinster don't lack the physical tools to win these games. At certain instances we struggled physically, but we were physically dominant just as often. I think the mental and technical side of our game has taken a beating in recent weeks though. That's the main area of concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I don't think it's apathy, I'd say they're just wrecked, physically and mentally

It's been five knockout games in six weeks. Even allowing for how poor Glasgow were, that's a huge ask at the end of a long season.

I'd say Farrell is happy enough we're out tbh

The season hasn't been a total disaster. We've played a lot of good rugby and even more importantly, seen young players take a step up in their development and overall on pitch performance. That'll stand towards us in the years to come.

Last season Dan Sheehan was firmly behind Ronan Kelleher. The latter was that but more physical in tight and had better handling. And whilst I still think that's the case, Sheehan has improved on those aspects of his game as well. There's not much to separate them now.

Jamie Osborne looks very comfortable at 13 now. Makes very few mistakes and isn't phased in attack or defence despite being just 20 years old. Thought he was excellent in the South Africa tour when so many senior players were absent.

Joe McCarthy is the big breakthrough this season. He has all the physical tools to be a dominant second row. Powerful carrier in tight, but also has a decent burst of speed to be a useful option in the wider channels. I've also seen him put opposition forwards on their arse when tackling them. He's also in that new mould of second row forward that's just as comfortable with passing and offloading.

A word on TOB too. Injury has ruined his season and he'll be absent for months to come as well. But he's another with a big future provided his knee holds up. Has McFaddens attitude around the pitch, but reminds me a lot of Hugo Keenan in that his basics are rock solid and consistently makes good decisions. Hope he can make it back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Itxa

McCarthy had at least three knock ons yesterday - it might have been more. For me Sheehan is the breakthrough player of the season.

Knock ons will happen when conditions are as poor as they were yesterday. McCarthy just turned 21 but wasn't bothered in the slightest by the Bulls physicality. That's pretty rare for an Irish second row.

Sheehan is a great player and had a great season. But his breakthrough was last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Shehal

Its comments like this that sum up would big issue in Irish rugby, in France they would be backing and praising McCarthy for all the great things he brought to the game yesterday but in Ireland its all about 1 or two mistakes they made...while then at the same breath back an established international as a breakthrough player even after botching 4 line outs 5m's out yesterday...

Probably for the best the season ended ASAP as now it gives the Leinster players almost 3 weeks to rest up before the test series in NZL.

Right so when Leinster struggle to adapt against a physical side next year we will stop making this excuse? Perfect, maybe then the actual problem will be solved.

If we are going to talk about Ross Byrne surely we need to talk about Sexton too, for all the criticism he's got Sexton hasnt exactly brought much either despite the fact he's supposed to be a "leader".

That's another issue, since 2019 we've become the new SA as in our opposition seem to do all the homework on how to play us and we seem to do diddly squat on the opposition, that's the 2nd time in as many weeks that Leinster were outsmarted.

It aloud of nonsense the physical argument, its a mixture of being soft & game management.

Blaming the hooker for your lineout issues is too simplistic. And it's just wrong in this instance as well. All of Sheehans throws were straight and directed at the Leinster target they were supposed to go to. The issue was the Bulls consistently reading Leinsters calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭LRind2008

Biggest issue for me was the lack of desire and real hunger to win which only really kicked in when Sexton came on and gave everyone a collective aggression boost and kick in the ass.

He had a bigger set of balls then the entire leinster forward pack did for most of that game, came on very aggressive and demanded his team front up, lead from the from exactly how you'd expect the captain to behave ... the size of the loss hes going to bring to Leinster and Irish rugby when he retires will be huge, brings so much belief to the players around him.

Leinster are missing a few real tough talismanic players up front which they had in previous cup triumphs, the Rocky Elsoms, Brad Thorns, O'briens, Bods, Heaslips - Healy in his prime etc etc,

Joe Mccarthy really impressed me and took it to the Bulls physically which was great to see from such a young man - he could be a really important player for leinster going forward. To be able to physically bring it at 21 years of age to a massive Bok pack was great to see.

Margins are small this team could easily have won a double with some better decision making and a few less errors - they are not a million miles off from where they need to be and thats whats extra frustrating - the top 2 inches have now eluded Leinster for multiple seasons back to back.

It depends what you mean on breakthrough season. If you mean first season of getting first team caps then you’re right. But if you mean the season where he establishes himself as potential starter for all the big games then he didn’t do that until this season.

McCarthy stood right up when there was handbags at the beginning of the match. For a young player to step in to a confrontation for his teammates showed he’s not worried by the seniority, status or size of his opponents. He puts in big hit also the only thing I think needs working on is intensity.

I thought Ryan was very docile and laboured and some say that is “composure” and maturity but I don’t think that’s what’s needed in a physical confrontation where Leinster are trying to lay a platform of quick ruck ball. The front 5 need to be quicker and bring more intensity. Back row also. Doris brings that to a certain extent as does VDF but clearing out as a unit needs to be implemented more cohesively.

But again that show's how much of a softness there is in the side, why does it take one player being present on the field for the rest of the players to realise how important the game is they are playing? Its a complete cop out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

I also think JGP is not the scrum half you want on the field when sexton is off the pitch.. taking quick taps when the points were better option and faffing around. In the past few games he hasn't gotten the back line going at all... The best back line move for o'loughlins try came after JGP was gone off.

His organisation is very sporadic. Mcgrath may have been a safer pair of hands directing the team around the field especially at this end of the season..

Also after re watching, the decision not to take the points when 10 down with Ryan in the bin was a poor call.

The penalty would have eaten up the clock. We needed the penalty and would have received the ball back from the kick off. Going for the corner with only Molony in the 2nd row allowed Bulls to target him at the lineout and they got 2 men up around him and turned it over. Very easy say that in hindsight obviously..

• Advertisement

I don't think Leinster are a mentally or physically weak side and to my mind the overwhelming bulk of available evidence suggests the opposite.

That's not to say that they can't be on occasion. I would say that mentally a lot of the players were checked out last night. Sexton came on and made a difference because he changed things up and rocked the Bulls out of their comfort zone. That created a better territorial platform for Leinster to play and hold onto the ball a bit more. It's not that the team raised it's game with his presence, he just did a better job individually to exploit the Bulls.

Regardless - I'm an Ulster fan so what do I know.

Well if they need Sexton on the field to perform maybe many of these players need to look in the mirror rather than throwing the 10 under the bus.

Im a broken record on this but with the quality Ireland and Leinster have they shouldnt be so reliant on Sexton being on the field, they should be good enough to win most games they play with anyone at 10, serious soul searching is needed for some of the players if they are this reliant.

Not sure if you didn't read my post or if I wasn't clear but I'll try again.

I don't think Leinster need Sexton on the pitch to reach peak performance. I think Leinster were well below peak performance last night. Sexton coming on saw us improve but that's because Sexton is an exceptional player.

The France away game showed us that we aren't reliant on Sexton to put in a performance, but you can't ignore the fact that he is a world class talent and his absence will have an impact.

I don't think any of the Leinster squad are 'reliant' on Sexton's presence. I think the team on the pitch will generally hold better shape and be more organised but that's down to his superior skill set as against other available options for Leinster and Ireland.

Leinster have had two poor games when it mattered, that's disappointing - but they've shown quality with and without Sexton all season. Last nights game raises concerns for me, but at the same time there are a lot of reasons of not great significance that could have played into the result. Even just a segment of the squad knowing they are going to New Zealand can impact the mentality they bring into a game.

There has been a toys out of the pram response from some supporters and some in the media that I think is absurdly premature. We talk about false dawn's a lot in sports, let's not fall into the trap of over talking false dusks either.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I don't think Leinster need Sexton on the pitch to reach peak performance

I mean, they are always going to be better with him on the pitch as he's an outstanding player and still much better than the alternatives. So in sense they do...

The lineout meltdown was a massive part of the loss and that has nothing to do with desire/mentality/physicality. Its good opposition work and a failure to adapt.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Only watched the highlights there, hard to get a sense of the game. Being a missed conversion away from the final is tough. Were there a lot of missed kicks or the like?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Leinster made more elementary mistakes than they usually do in 5 games, lineout was a total shambles, knock-ons under no pressure, turned over a bunch of times at the ruck, just a terrible performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Stade Toulousain 21-7 up at HT against La Rochelle in the Top14 SF. Makes the Marseille defeat even more painful given what we did in the Aviva. 😭😭😭

It’s amazing how Toulouse have dominance domestically but not in Europe. La Rochelle have a bit of a block when it comes to Toulouse. Haddad and Berjon looking special again tonight. Final wasn’t a one off!

OMG. Toulouse just beat LaRochelle.

LaRochelle just couldn't handle the physicality and got bullied. They're great against weaker teams but when they come up against a pack like Toulouse they get completely found out.

• Advertisement

I've watched the La Rochelle and Bulls games twice now. Live and a recorded version.

My thoughts on both games are pretty much the same. Leinster weren't bullied like I originally thought. A lot of online coverage is focusing on the physicality deficit, which I think is incorrect. We faced an early physical onslaught in both matches, weathered it and then started applying our own pressure. There were plenty of occasions in both games when our forwards won the collisions. But we made simple errors which I really didn't expect a team as skilled as Leinster to make.

There were too many handling errors when not under much pressure and also poor game management. Against La Rochelle we should've gone for the corner more when they were under a yellow card warning, and against the Bulls we should've taken the points when our lineout was creaking. It's worrying because our players didn't take heed the lessons learned, but it's definitely fixable.

Yes, Leinster faced sides who didn't wilt against our forwards carrying game like so many. But a lot of the online pundits, who hold themselves up to be gurus of the game, seem to have boiled it down to Leinster getting the shite kicked out of them. They took a battering, but gave our just as much as they got. Leinsters problems are far more mental than physical. The coaches and players need to address why they make bad decisions when things aren't going entirely their own way.

Post edited by Clegg on

Advertisement