Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

F1 2022 Round 8 - AZERBAIJAN GP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Joeface

No Further action against Hamilton & Norris , both were still on the lap Delta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭quokula

Let’s have some perspective. In every single race they’ve finished this year prior to Monaco Max finished 10+ seconds ahead of Perez. Without the DRS issue in Spain he’d have probably finished 30 seconds ahead in that one. At Monaco Max couldn’t get a final Q3 run because Perez crashed, while in the race Perez was never able to pull away at all and Max looked to have the pace to comfortably keep up, but it’s impossible to overtake in Monaco and the team gave Checo priority in the pitstops.

They’ve been teammates for 29 races and Monaco was the first time Perez finished ahead where Max wasn’t taken out by reliability or a crash. Baku is Sergio’s best track by far so if he’s going to do well anywhere it’s here, but it’s a long race tomorrow and there’s a mountain of evidence pointing to Verstappen being comfortably the faster driver over a season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I really hope RB don't gift a position for Max at the expense of Checo. He's legitimately in there for a Championship challenge.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Leclerc is an outstanding qualifier. His ability to dig deep and pull out a huge lap is unparalleled on the grid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Doesn't really matter if he's quicker. He's the no.2. He has been decent in quali this year (much improved on last year). But he can be pretty far off Max's pace in races.

If red bull has an opportunity to swap the cars or even give max an advantage, they'll do it. Max is in the title battle, checo isn't.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them put Checo on a longer first stint to hold up the Ferraris after their first stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

In not sure about that. He has had much better reliability than Max this year and red bull can't afford to prioritize a driver who isn't finishing races.

Yes, they can. It's their only option. Perez can't usually beat Charles, on pace. So they can't prioritise him over their faster driver who can beat Charles, on pace. Verstappen, with his poor reliability, is 15 points ahead or perez. Max would want to go on a run of 5 races without finishing (or break a leg like Schumacher in 99) to even make red bull consider perez their main championship option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Joeface

I don't believe Perez will win this season but he has to believe this is his chance . New cars means it's not fully developed towards Max yet like last year's car . So this year he is closer and Redbull have not picked a direction yet . He needs favours ,he needs Sainz to get into the mix as well , steal points form others . He currently is doing what he needs to do . Faster all this weekend again .

It makes better viewing for us .the more races he can string good weekends together the more confident he will get .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Leclerc needs to convert those poles to wins, he has 14 poles but only 4 wins

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

I think he's driving really well and seems to have less issues with his car than Max which has helped.

I don't think he will win the championship but he can certainly challenge for it just like Leclerc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭quokula

Red Bull had multiple opportunities to swap them in Monaco and chose not to and gave Checo priority in the pitstops when they could easily have pit Max first and he would have won the race.

They have a long and consistent history of never ever favouring one driver over the other, even when they had a four time WDC in the car he was never given number one status.

Perez has been beaten by Max in 99% of the races they’ve been teammates because he’s been slower, not because of some imaginary team decision.

I think what happened in Spain had a lot to do with Checo winning in Monaco. Verstappen is Redbulls prized pony, he's going to be favoured. Checo is there to get podiums and help RB win the constructors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Killinator

"They have a long and consistent history of never ever favouring one driver over the othe"

Ah come on, like just come on, you can't actually be serious!!!!

They used team orders a few races ago. Twice in thst race. Once when petez was on a different strategy and was faster but was told not to attack max. The second time he was told to move over for Max.

Hard to argue RB never favour one driver when we all discuss Perez as a no.2 driver, and they treated him as the no.2 driver a few races ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

It's Sergio. Not giving out to you put it really annoys me when the commentators says and Checo Perez is on the front row. It's stupid and immature. What's so hard about saying Sergio Perez that is his name not Checo.

Great quali session by the way. Carlos seems to be in good form here. A pity he did not get pole but his time will come hopefully.

Well done to Charles Leclerc.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

Sainz was 4th in a car that got pole. I don't think there was a team order when Sainz joined Ferrari, but there should be now. He's not as quick or as good a driver as LeClerc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It's Sergio. Not giving out to you put it really annoys me when the commentators says and Checo Perez is on the front row. It's stupid and immature. What's so hard about saying Sergio Perez that is his name not Checo.

not giving out to me yet you picked my post to have a go when there are more then myself who referred to him as checo. I’m well aware his name is Sergio Perez btw. I take it you’ll be issuing a strongly worded email to sky sports F1 and channel four who several are long time friends of Sergios and call him checo ?

you could have Easily made the same point without quoting my post btw.

• Advertisement
    Ms

No need to get your knickers in a twist. I do not watch Sky F1 so no idea if they do it or not but yes it was very bad today. It just annoyed me today and your post was just the first one I read today with it that's why I picked it. I was not complaining about you saying it I was just using it as an example.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Don’t worry I’m not but you saying I’m not picking on you and then quoting my post bugged me. I’m not the only poster on this forum nor the only broadcaster to call him checo. If you watched channel 4 today then you saw Lee Mackenzie host those highlights and given she’s a 15 year friend of Sergio Perez it not surprising she might call him checo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Race gets underway at midday Irish.

That might catch a few people out since qualifying was scheduled for 3pm Irish (15 minutes delayed) so people might have been expecting a similar race start time.

i had to do a double take yesterday when I saw the start time.

Seems Checo is standard Mexican Spanish nickname for anyone named Sergio

https://www.thefocus.news/sports/motorsport/f1/sergio-perez-nickname/

"Why is Sergio Perez nickname “Checo”?

In 2013, Sergio Perez answered the question as to why his nickname is “Checo”.

He said: “It’s not really that complicated or interesting.

“In Mexico, where I come from, all Sergios are automatically given the nickname ‘Checo’.

“Sorry, there’s no story behind it!”

In the same way Jim is short for James in English, “Checo” is the short of Sergio in “Mexican” Spanish."

Calling Sergio "Checo" is like calling Robert "Bob", no need to get offended over it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I just hope they get it correct on the radio later when they ask him to move over 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

My friend Willie Stroker has just rang me and said he will join me for the race. All is well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

If Checo wants to prove himself he needs to do it in a race. He’s got great quali pace but Max will most of the time out drive him over the course of a race.

Today would be a statement from him if he were to manage it - but I honestly don’t expect him to.

Yeah good quali pace is a good skill but the race is a different beast. Bottas could pretty much match Hamilton in quali a lot of the time. But that's didn't reflect the gulf between them in race pace. Bearing Lewis was nice for bottas, but he was never in danger of beating Lewis in points over a season.

Same with Perez. Beating max in quali is nice for him. But it's not really the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Checo has always had good race pace and tyre management, and one-lap quali pace was always seen as his weakness.

Max is obviously the team's number one, but given how close to the pace Checo is, the fact that there are two Ferraris in the mix, and the fact that reliability is a bigger issue this year, he'll be in touching distance for a long way yet. Not unlike the Vettel / Webber years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Knowing your posting history on this forum that must be a hack.

Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

Maybe the tyre management thing is kind of to his detriment - it’s great for RB and Max because he’s usually then put on a longer strategy to cover off other cars while Max can concentrate on banging in lap times.

If he wants to consider himself in the championship maybe he needs to forget about his tyres and force himself into the conversation - but I still think Max’ ability would have him win out.

Good of Paul diresta to say that the FIA shouldn’t do anything to help Mercedes’ because the bouncing is happening to all teams to some degree.

If it’s mics cutting out and Ferrari mechanics making noise just as he starts talking. Damon hill should take the hint.

Sky should really put Hill and Herbert out to pasture

well I thought they had with Herbert. Naomi schiff and Paul diresta are great.

I was hoping he wouldn't get up when he was in the wall on his bike.

What did the Ferrari crew do to suffer Herbert following them when they are getting the car ready for the race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭rameire

I really hate the way Herbert pronounces Charles name.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement

I can't believe he has been given the mic for that long, I am listening and not listening at the same time, so I hope he didn't compare the deaths of drivers as similar to the bad strategy calls from Ferrari last time out.

He really pronounces the C at the end of LeClerc.

Yeah he did compare the deaths of senna and ratzenberger to bad team strategy.

"Oi! Helmet!".

Christ. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

He refers to himself as Checo, even his foundation is called the Checo Perez foundation

https://fundacionchecoperez.com/

So anyone here been to Baku ? During qualifying yesterday I was looking at the camera shots and it looks a beautiful city with the historic and modern. It reminded me of Prague.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

All the drivers respecting the national anthem and looking straight ahead, Hamilton chewing gum and looking around.

Not a bad anthem, gets the point across. :D

So I think the name of the country is Azerbaijan but the anthem was a bit vague

• Advertisement

Was just thinking that during the national anthem, looks like a really nice place

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement