Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Price Tracker

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Was thinking of Bass this morning when I was feeding a few for an uncle. Nothing wrong with them at all if you had enough of them

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Grueller

He gives them a good do alright. Buys at 3-4 weeks and brings most thru to slaughter.

I’d call him a clever man but then I remember he’s gone to Listowel this weekend to give money to Paddy Power!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭morphy87

• Registered Users Posts: 18,520 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

They are good friesians by your uncle. He should be feeding them maize. As he only has a few he should buy it in bags and feed it 50/50 with the nut or even by itself. The maize really pushed them on

He feeding them 4ish weeks and they probably got nuts over the winter. It amazing how well friesians look as they come to finish. As they get over 630-650 kgs if they have plenty of grass the three kgs of maize and hulks( oatfeed this year) really pushed them on with flesh cover. At 340+ kgs DW they be into 1800 euro this year. For all the yap about mart prices they are sell for 100+ less than they value generally. Watch Sixmilebridge yesterday saw two HE 580 kgs with flesh probably going for slaughter make 100+ less than there factory value

I have four of them gibney troughs as well. They are twenty years old next summer. Great trough. I drilled holes at two diagonal corners. If they get a bit of water in them if you run the corner with a stick it flow away out.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

Getting 4kg of a beef nut. I’m assuming the uncle is allergic to small bags as he has meal bins everywhere!

Probably got nuts over winter too. He picks out 3-5 whenever they’re near ready and feeds them to finish

When is he hopping to sell them? Let us know how he gets on

If he has a bin he should be getting a cereals/ roughage mix blown in. Biggest problems is it's very dusty. I bought a dust coat ( basically a storeman's coat) and I use a cloth mask we hen filling the buckets.

4 kgs is a lot. I only put the on four if short of grass. I have th.on three at present and will drop it by 1/3 of a kg this week and maybe 2/3's.

A lad could not believe that the ration was sub 400/ ton he was paying 450 for a bit. However I think he buys by the pallet

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Met a lad from Clare that was picking up a cow and calf from the sale. Quality pair

• Registered Users Posts: 31 rojas68

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭893bet

Unbelievable. There has to be big prices rises in the factory price in the pipe line still.

Took a few photos of mine today.

Here is a good type HO bullock about 680 kgs I would say.

Here is a type I alway like to buy, black body with white legs, again I expect HO breeding. If they kill 340ish DW they grade O=. This lad should do it easy

This lad will need to go 360 DW if he is to grade he is only on ration a few days.

Here is a classic BF but HO again I suspect

Here is a a fine bullock. A HO, only on ration 2-3 days. Already carrying flesh. If you could buy them all like him you be delighted. Should flesh up nice and square and carry weight.

A similar one but not as square great bullock all the same, might squeeze into O-

While these cattle are inefficient converters at grass they will power on the weight of you can give them enough of it. A lot of these are Late a February or March bullocks or even April.

Slava Ukrainii

Fine looking beasts and nice shape to them.

Feel free to tell me mind my own business, but would they leave you 3-400 euro when it’s all added up?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭jaginsligo

Their mighty for fresian, how long do u have them?

Were they 2 years old this spring?

Depending on your ability to buy them 3ish last year. But I am heavily stocked so have a bit of inputs. I am carrying 60+ on 24HA going into area aid. I never let them get super heavy and generally I am hanging them around 340-350 early in the year.

I would buy them very mixed weight wise( weight can vary a lot within bunches as well) so it a matter of cashing in as many as possible before mid September when costs start to climb.

Slava Ukrainii

Yes two year old this spring. I buy from June to November. Early in the year cattle can be 320 kgs at purchase, the last would be up on 450 kgs if I can get them. However I bought 330 kg friesians in late October last year as they were only costing 480 euro they were may and June '21 born calves.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

Great cattle there Bass. Have only 1 or 2 FR bullocks that would match them, you must be a good judge when buying.

This lad is the best FR I have.

If you can buy the right FR the margin is greater than anything else. He cost 610 at 320kg last Apr (with 3 others. They are good too but not a patch on him). He was always well fleshed and has no mind for the ration, he's basically finishing himself off 100% grass. Cost very little to get him to ~700kgs. He will leave a great twist. Trouble is some other FR lots that are much harder finished, still learning on the buying front I suppose.

The black Friesian behind him with white legs is a usually a good type of Friesian as well. Might be a big frame but 3kgs of maize/hulls will put flesh on him in 8ish weeks and he should grade O-/= at that stage. Mine never get ration over the winter and I have one finishing bunch. They get fed for 6-8 weeks before slaughter

Slava Ukrainii

Yeah same as that, I don't give cattle over a year old any ration over the winter - just good silage. That bunch are on ration 5 weeks now, 3kg of high energy nuts (has maize and hulls). He just doesn't eat it, prefers grass.

Have you a meal bin. If so price Maize and either hulls or oatfeed(husk of the oat seed) get it 70/30. There would want to be 30 euro difference between hulls and oat feed to use oatfeed.

It shows be coming in cheaper than the nut and you have no fillers. Watch them flesh up.on that

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

No meal bin here, get 1.5T bags delivered. Considered a bin a few years back but only finish 30/35 cattle a year over the summer, usually only 15 cattle on 3kg at any one time over the 3 months. A 1.5T bag lasts over a month and its easy enough to fill buckets from it so I found it hard to justify the investment at the time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,882 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I see Gortalea had 2 monsters of bullocks on offer yesterday, they looked to be as big as they come. The second bullock didn't look over fleshed to my eye's and would probably carry another 100kg+ or more he seemed to be a total giant of a beast. I didn't see there age but I'd imagine they were 5 years old or more going by the heads and horns on them.

If I had a run of dry land capable of extensively running stock all year round I'd be tempted to graze something similar on it. You'd buy big plain store cattle handy enough at times and it's amazing what even a very average beast will do when they come to 4 years old. At the worst of times there always worth cow price and it's the weight that pays.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭Good loser

Got 3 near identical Holstein 3 month old calves on 1/12/20 for €210 (privately). Had scales hired for calf scheme last year and this year.

Mid Oct last year they weighed 369, 388 and 392 kg. On Friday last they weighed 558,552 and 556 kgs respectively - the lightest was now the heaviest. Small ration for Winter.

Bass are you ever tempted to go to mart?

To sell, not with Friesians. First If you add 50 kg to mart weight they seldom make factory price at those figures. Add that as a small finisher I either have to hire transport or load two into the box at the time( am I glad I do not have a LC I shudder at the running costs at present). I am not sure about mart sellers fees but some marts charge different to other maybe somebody will put a figure on them.

I can haul my own cattle to the factory not cheap any longer but less than mart distance.

At present those Friesians will make 1.9-2.2/ kg. That is 1100-1150 euro. If you carry to August put them on three kgs of ration and I'd September is wet up it to 4 or 5 kgs so 80-100 euro will be ration cost at 400/ ton they will kill l320 kgs. At 4.5/ kg that is 1440 euro

Carry them on grass and silage to next May/ June and the will kill 450+ DW @ 4.5/ kg netting 2k+.

Mart dose not add up

Slava Ukrainii

I would not. Your output would drop through the floor. Land needs a rest from Mid November to March. Heavy cattle plough land no matter how dry it is unless stocked at a very low level. Where cattle have the run of land for the winter you will have no grass until May.

Those older stock absolutely hoover up grass. Demand is astronomical at po resent by me. Cattle are near 600 kgs across the board.

Maybe if I had 500++ acres and I wanted an easy life. I see a farm near me that set stocked for the summer. It's 200+ acres. No fences or ditches in it now. He would have 3-4 year old bullocks but has another 1-2 farms. He has no children so little labour, meal or other costs this way.

On the farm where he has the sheds he cuts a couple huge cuts of silage but 90% of the cattle are taken off in December and do not come back until mid April

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,882 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I was thinking more along the lines of a winterage type set up like you'd see in the Burren. I agree that most land needs to be rested from December through to Paddy's day or you'll end up with poaching and little grass growth until the following July/August.

You'd need a large land bank to be able to run any sort of half decent number's. It's the cost of wintering stock that kills any beef venture in the North West. Once you're dealing with a 5 month or more housing period and trying to bolster sub quality silage with expensive ration it's hard to make the figures add up.

I'm starting to think that buying stores rather than weanlings would be the way to go in this aspect. Granted there's room for improvement in the quality of silage that's produced but even on what I think is good silage I still need to feed meal to weanlings overwinter. At least with a store they should stay thriving on silage alone. The weaning process coupled with the rapid growth and development of a young animal leaves to many holes that you can fall into unless you're management and feeding regime is top class. I'd be hoping an older animal would alleviate some of those issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Would it not be better to feed 2kg over the winter to get them stronger going to grass?. Never feed at grass here. Ninety persent reach fat score 3

I would only have 2-3 that would fall out of FS3. But more importantly I have right good grading with this system. I get the full benefit of compensatory growth. Feeding 2 kg/ day over the winter will be 180-200 kgs. Last winter this would have cost 75 euro. As well alot research has shown that you cannot se the benefit of winter meal feeding.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

I understand the compensatory growth. They are cut off meal in mid Feb. Much less labour feeding in shed. Will certainly consider changing system this winter

• Advertisement

Some of my own fresians, won’t be 30 months till mid October

Advertisement