Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two motorcyclists killed today on M50

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

Give it time.

The number of pedestrians walking around Dublin city wearing headphones and not looking where they're going is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,317 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Careful now,he'll also assume you go around mowing everyone down that doesn't look where they are going.

He has 4 months experience after all.

I could do a wheelie longer than 4 months. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭dbas

Are you saying you've kept underpants on longer than that 😂

When would you think someone stops being a novice biker?

I'd still consider myself a novice after 4 years, especially with lockdown. I'm not on it half as much anymore, and I notice that in my own riding when I am out

At least 5 months 😁.

Novice or pro, just need to keep being on the ball as much as possible.

I'm glad I get assessed and look forward to it.

The reports are always glowing but if the day comes when I'm told I need to brush up on something (by an actual professional driving instructor) I'll gladly take it on board.

I'm in the low risk category and a top driver apparently 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭kravmaga

RIP to the 2 motorcyclists .

What I observed today on the M50 today driving southbound from airport junction to /M50M7 red cow interchange was very poor standard of driving, the number of drivers switching lanes with out indicating between lane 1, 2 and 3 was madness.

We nearly witnessed 2 near misses in front of us in the space of about 15 mins of very impatient drivers changing lanes constantly at the same time at high speed with out indicating. We were doing about 95kmph, these drivers were imo doing about 120/130 kmph.

When I drove on Motorways in the UK I find the British are more disciplined and stay in their respective lanes and are actually courteous.

The M50 what I witnessed this morning was like a race track , where is everyone going in such a rush, its a no wonder there was 600 road traffic collisions last bank holiday week-end. Stats provided by AGS at a press release after the 6 road fatalities last banker.

Everyone needs to slow down, stay in lane and use your mirrors, its not that difficult to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

For me the British driving is more aggressive and faster in general

If someone does dawdle in the wrong lane you will get near rear ended out of the way

The roads there are almost identical in terms of safety numbers to here given population

What is that assessment? I'm not familiar with it

If you don't get assessed for your job you probably wouldn't be. 😉

Fair enough. I'll likely do some advanced training within the next year or so. Haven't done any training since my driving test, which is bare minimum really in hindsight

The British police enforce Lane discipline laws if I'm not mistaken.

I've never heard of anyone being pulled for being in the wrong lane in Ireland. It's a rampantly broken rule. There should be at least an ad campaign on the telly about it

• Advertisement

Ride within your comfort zone and keep building your confidence and stay cool. 👍

There is an ad for it but it's only on now and again...not sure if I heard on the radio also.

I find staying cool a bit difficult at times. I get a right burst of adrenaline/ fright when someone drives carelessly around me and nearly hits me. No one ever hears me shouting though. No harm no foul I suppose

Is that not just an ad about correct overtaking, rather than being in the correct lane, and conversely not being in the wrong lane

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭anplaya27

Yeah they are the ones that look.

Doubt noise pollution bothers them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭anplaya27

Am profound. Whatever about being Deaf re noise pollution I know not to rev the **** out of them as I have enough cop on to know they are loud.

You're onto a different issue now.

Reving the **** out of a bike is mostly done for attention.

A direct quote from you: "The loud pipes stop morons from walking out in front of an oncoming bike."

If you feel that you need an audible warning, you're doing it wrong. I don't care if you think you're good or bad on the road. I just passed my driving test this week. That means someone, whose job is to find fault in my driving, sat behind me for an hour and decided I was good to go. Does that then mean that I'm at the pinnacle of driving ability in the country? No. Of course not. But I can still navigate my way through busy streets without having to announce it to everyone in advance to try and keep myself from running people down.

For what it's worth, I'm not saying you're a bad driver. I don't know you. However, the 'loud noises' argument is just so fcuking stupid. It's obnoxious stuff.

If they're wearing headphones then they're not gonna know or care how quiet or loud your bike is. Everyone who can hear it will just think you're a wanker though and it re-enforces that all bikers are morons and contributes to the fact that no one cares when they're being scraped off the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

**** this motorbikes are bad, the M50 is bad

one of the unfortunate riders clipped his pal, going the correct speed, with no stupid filtering

it was a freak accident

end of

shut this bikes are fatal bullshit tread down

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Melted

People walk out on the road and look when they are half way across. it happens all the time. You must not be riding very long. Rev bomombing is stupid but in town in slow speed stuff people will walk between cars and not check if the way is clear before crossing, as well as that filtering in slow moving traffic or traffic at a standstill the increased presence does help.

Higher speed stuff its not worth a bollix though, by the time they get their head out of their phone and hear you, you are passed.

Edit: Loud pipes can be obnoxious but to suggest that it contributes to people bot caring if bikers die is a bit fucked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I had loud pipes in the past but I agree with you. They're just obnoxious imho and I'd never get them again. Sort of cringe at the thought of owning them now, but I had them and loved them, so hard to begrudge anyone with them now. But fúck, they're annoying

I'm not riding a bike long at all, no. About 4-5 months-ish. Have been out on it a good bit though, 90% of which is in built up areas. I also drive (a car) and pretty much live in it (covered approx 100k km in the past 14 months).

I am well aware that pedestrians don't always pay attention, and that car drivers are often on the phone. I'm aware that bikers filter way too fast and that Gardai don't enforce any useful or meaningful rules of the road. I'm aware that drivers will still try to 'speed past' the School warden/lollipop person to avoid having to stop for 30 seconds. I'm aware that someone will always be driving so close to you that you'll think they're stealing stuff from the boot of your car. I know that a red light means 'go faster' to many.

I know that kids will run out in front of a main road, or that footballs will bounce onto the road in housing estates. I know that people will cross the road without really paying any attention. I know that people will go for a walk with a child in a buggy on the inside of a bend on an R road. I know that motorbikers, when in groups, will sometimes cross the white line to the opposite side of the road. I know that cars will come out of their houses onto R and N roads where they're just coming out blind and hoping for the best. I'm aware that the hedge cutting tractor may not have bothered to put out signs to say he's on the blind bend and I know that the farmer doesn't give a toss that the road is covered in slippery muck and dirt after him.

I know that none of the above will stop happening because my car or bike are any louder than they currently are. I just have to anticipate these things and drive accordingly.

If you want to have an unnecessarily loud bike, you're a dick, in my opinion (I include cars in that too). It's totally unnecessary. However, at the end of the day, it's your choice and you can do what you want with your own vehicles. However, don't try to dress it up as some kind of safety feature, because it's laughable and only serves to make the general public think that bikers (as a whole) are a bunch of attention seeking 'my bike go vroom vroom' children.

(if it's not already obvious - I despise needless noise!)

Regarding your Edit; anyone that I've heard mention the M50 crash immediately put the blame on the bikers involved and rambled into a story about a negative experience they had with bikers. From my conversations with people, its absolutely the case that people have no sympathy, largely because they instinctively assume the bikers were acting the bollocks and brought it upon themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Melted

Well I said it helps increase your road presence I never said its going to stop people doing all those things you listed. People will always have opinions about certain things I supose and I get why people hate loud noises, I would not really get an aftermarket exhaust and remove the baffle myself, not my thing.

I am a biker myself but I dont filter fast, I filter at an aproriate speed. If a car moves over the line to stop me doing it and puts me at risk does that mean all car drivers ****? no.

But i would say the only people who are dicks/**** as you say in this scenario are the types that go around not caring if "bikers are scraped of the road".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

I saw 1 motorcycle yesterday. I pulled out at roundabout in a 50 zone, nobody to my right then out of nowhere within 20 metres past roundabout this guy overtook me doing at a guess 90kmh, next junction undertook 2 cars and by the time I got to that junction (15s max) he was at least 200m down the road. Absolute lunatic.

So 1 motorcycle and maybe 60 cars on my journey.

You're getting hung-up on the loud pipes saves lives slogan. I never mentioned loud pipes. I was replying to your post saying you should be able to anticipate in advance, and in reality you hopefully will but that won't stop you having many heart-attack moments when pedestrians step out in front of you where they're threatening your safety as well as their own.

Right so,noise doesn't stop people from walking out in front of something because it's obnoxious and you hate noise pollution etc.

Its a wonder fire engine and squad cars use sirens at all.

Bunch of children going around making noise offending people.

• Advertisement

I've seen people walk out in front of motorbikes without looking and the rider just opens the throttle and frightens the bejaysis out of the pedestrian that has just endangered their own lives. Definitely more effective with a loud bike, and the pedestrian learns a vital lesson and no harm done.

All our best lessons in life involved a fight of some sort

Advertisement