Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

We really really need Rod back for quarters

And to draw Derry. No ifs bits or maybes we need the luck of the draw to get on that side

Then anything is possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Poor performance

Usually I think well they'll brush that off but you need some form to mount a challenge. Long time since I've felt this pessimistic about Mayo.

Very few positives but a win is a win. Delighted for Darren, on a day when everyone seemed to be throwing poor passes, either short or directly to a Kildare man, Darren held onto it smartly while at the same time looking to go forward.

No doubt we need to be on the Derry/Galway side of the draw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

He has really made an impact in the last two outings. But it hasn't taken much to stand out. The team seem very flat and devoid of ideas when trying to break down a defence.

Some positives out of the day. Even though they didn't shine, I think Carr and Carney are edging slowly but surely towards being big players for us. Carney especially I think will be one for the future.

I'm not sure if there's many ideas coming from the side. O'Shea, Coen and Loftus aren't offering much against those kind of defences... Thought Horan was way too slow to get some strong runners on. And the game was crying out for KmcL.

You get a sense that it's just gone very stale. Maybe we need a big opponent in the QF to set something alight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

defibrillator put away for another 2 weeks .

-1) nobody’s pointing out that Kildare were gassed at 62 mins onwards . The recurring injuries Kildare were simulatingwere just trying to slow things up . If Kildare were capable of 80 mins we would have lost .

-) we upped the ante but it ( from horan speech) was the players( Ohora etc) decided to play out of position in order to force the game . The worrying thing there was who was making the decisions .

positives and I’m clutching here . Injured players coming back are getting more and more game time .

ive said enough already . The team are utterly running off the bat I’m terms of planned outcomes in games .

Coen is having a stinker of a year. The issue with getting a tough opponent is that it means Kerry AND Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Derry is probably the best draw since we can't get Galway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

This is the lad that wants to get involved with Mayo football

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

The above is yet another reason why I continue to give Twitter a skip, it really is full of folk like that.

Strongest XV for quarters if ROD is fit

Hennelly

Leroy

O’Hora

Hession

Paddy

Oisin

McLoughlin

Flynn

Matty

Carney

Doc

Boland

ROD

CIllian

McHale

Just too one paced in possession with O‘Shea starting. He still can have a vital role to play as a sub, just like in the early rounds of the league. And DOC can influence the game more from 11, just like the early rounds of the league.

How were the two most obvious positive developments on the league completely jettisoned?

• Advertisement

Doc is another man that is out of form

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Pity others would not just ignore him around here and stop posting what he says on other platforms.

How were the two most obvious positive developments on the league completely jettisoned?

Simple answer, injuries.

You needed AoS to start once Flynn was out, you had no one else.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Diarmuid or Jason?

I thought Diarmuid was decent vs Kildare. Jason doesn't have the legs to play in the middle third anymore and I don't think you can have him and Cillian in the same full forward line.

In fairness, Coen and especially Aidan O'Shea were very good last weekend. Loftus did well off the bench too. So not that surprising they started. I don't think Kevin McLoughlin was on the bench either despite being named.

Plenty of negatives in that game of course but some good signs too. Enda Hession and Jack Carney have been very impressive the last 2 games considering both only recently turned 21. Oisín Mullin and Eoghan McLaughlin are two of the main men now despite being only 22.

If those lads have the longevity of Leeroy we're in safe hands!

Was in form when he was played at 11. Lost form when moved to the wing. He has the attributes to be our most influential leader going forward if we play him where he can best exert those qualities. Playing him at 11 could also draw out some of the deep lying sweepers that are so common against us

Every single supporter you talk to wants Mullen at 6 and Diarmuid at 11

But it won’t happen.

Horan knows best sure

On a more positive note I am just going to come right out and say that I think Lee Keegan is mayos best ever footballer and it’s a privilege to watch him play .

The reason I've posted them is to highlight what type of a fella this lad is, in case there was any doubt that the county board made the right decision in telling him to f**k off

It would be hard agree that he isn't. He is phenomenal, that point with his left yesterday was spectacular and of huge importance. I certainly haven't seen a better player for Mayo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Arkiema

Leeroy is the best we’ve had alright, led by example once again yesterday.

Shoutout to Fergal Boland too, linked play well and kicked two huge points, was delighted to see him come on.

Happy to get the win and to be in the QF’s but so much room for improvement, was as bad as I’ve seen us play in a long time for large parts of that game. Kildare put 15 behind the ball in the same vein as Galway and we struggled badly again - fortunately they just ran out of gas and we capitalised.

We need Ryan back to have any hope next time out.

They did, but do we go on last weekends form or do we go on Croke Park form... It's a very different game and the quicker we play the better imo. There's a huge role for both but I don't think it is for the full / majority of the match.

The future is in good enough hands for sure.

McLaughlin is a great athlete, if he can improve his footballing side, and that should happen over time hopefully, he will be one of the best around. He's a frustration for me based on that high expectation. His decision making and composure needs a lot of work.

On a side note, is Paddy Durcan's soloing getting more and more borderline? I'm nearly sure he fouled the ball 2 or 3 times yesterday, but got away with it. It was always a unique solo, but the ball is barely leaving his hands these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

We're on borrowed time tbh. The win is putting a gloss on an absolutely abysmal team performance. Horan doesn't know what his best team is and playing key players out of position is a huge problem now - Oisin Mullin is not a full back. Full stop. He would have been better going to Australia than stay here and have to play in this ludicrous situation.

Matthew Ruane needs to find some form asap. Another stinker from him yesterday. He hasn't had a good game since the Dublin match last year. How Conor Loftus stayed on the pitch, I do not know - his management of the basic skills were woeful.

Only for Kildare's inaccuracy and terrible game management did we stay in it yesterday. A better team would have had us on the bus back home by half time time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Can someone explain to me why AOS has never been deployed as a FF breaking ball(as opposed to catching and getting bottled up)? Surely it would be a good 'go to' option whe all else is failing as happened in final v Tyrone last year. He's played every other role. 10 days before the final last year he was in Bellavary being coached to kick scores by Kieran Mc, something that should have happened 23 years ago when he was 8. AOS get's too much flack. He's been a super servant and still has lots to offer but management do him no favours, they screw him in fact.

Our S&C probably was a huge factor in winning the game yesterday would you agree?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Loftus had a very good last 10 mins. Up to that point I was screaming for him to be taken off, I couldn't understand how he was still there. His 10 yard kick pass, under no pressure, straight to a white shirt alone was enough to get the hook.

• Advertisement

Id agree with a lot of that, we are on borrowed time, whether that runs out at the QF, SF or Final all depends on the opposition.

And I think we need not worry too much about Horan playing players out of position, because I think he will finish up this year anyway.

I listened to it on Midwest and it was really depressing at times.

The sloppy play, the inability to "lay a finger on players going through"

Where are the days when Mayo played the hard game, where everywhere the oposition turned there was a Mayo man there to put them on their ass ?

Their experience and fitness got them through last night, but it probably won't be enough from here on.

I think Kildare's inaccuracy and terrible game management was a huge factor. Would be very concerned about us going forward.

We shouldn't be relying on S&C to get over Kildare tbh.

I agree. We're lining ourselves up for a hammering tbh. The overall team standard isn't good enough and we will be found out against better opposition.

Absolutely, I don't know what was going on on the sideline... Or in training the past month but we really don't have much answers to a blanket defense.

I asked about the S&C because you seemed to think there was some major issues there a few weeks ago that none of us were willing to talk about. You got us talking, but never came back to tell us what was going wrong on that front.

Our S&C has gotten us over the line in many games over the years and bailed us out again yesterday imo.

I'm afraid I don't have time to be always on the internet. But the S&C issues speak for themselves in the recurrence of soft tissue injuries. S&C isn't just about running for 70+ mins. It's also about preventing and recovering from injury. Something which has been a big problem for us. There might be the odd "freak injury", but the majority of injuries happen because of issues relating to conditioning and stress. Being rushed back is a big factor too.

Our S&C won't bail us out against better opposition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Well done yesterday lads.

Is Cillian o Connor ok? And the midfielder? Both went down yesterday holding their heads/faces near the end?

Nobody touched them. Shocking stuff really but look if thats part of their game now so be it.

Ok, surely being rushed back can be put on management (or even the player) rather than the S&C set up.

By your logic, if the S&C team did a terrible job in failing to prevent all the injuries, they've done a remarkable job in getting the majority of them back.

Maybe when you've time, you can tell us more about the claims that it was commonly know (but unspoken about) that there had been a big decline in the county S&C set-up conspiracy.

Both fine and onto the next round thankfully.

How are your guys who were doing the same before blowing the beans and a six point lead?

Mullin was the only option for marking Dan Flynn yesterday so I don't really understand those complaints. Stephen Coen would have been burned for pace and the rest are too small/light. Flynn was moving in and out of the full forward line too so it was ideal for Oisín.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Yeh all good. None needed treatment. Hopefully Killer will be fine for next round. Looked like he was badly done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The tacking standard seems to have seriously dropped over the past while. Its so bad. We rarely win turnovers anymore from tackling.

Yep, that's what I found so poor about the performance based on what I was listening to on the radio.

The lack of that hard tackling to force turnovers that have been a trait of Mayo since 2011.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Minor match on tg4 YouTube

It is part of the game these days, every team who is serious about winning is at it. Up to the people with the rules to figure how to cut it out. Kildare were at it from 50 minutes so they cant have too many complaints

Niall Hurley at it again, serious goal. 1-2 to 0-2 after 15 minutes, against a big wind. Look the better team

• Advertisement

Some minute

Great first half. 3-5 to 1-7, two goals in 30 seconds. I haven't seen a Mayo team as well coached in a long time, doesn't hurt that they have two absolute superstars in the full forward line With Clarke & Hurley. Meadady at 10 has been excellent too

Very enjoyable game

2 late goals from kildare made it tighter than it should have been. Mayo able to get their scores much easier throughout. Anyone know what the SF draw is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Wonder where the ref is getting all this extra time from

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭franklyon

Was at the game yesterday, as somebody alluded to Kildare were gassed after 60 minutes, that and the missed chances to kill us off cost us.

am a fan of AOS but as soon as he went off saw a big improvement. He should be an impact sub and/or stuck up at FF to give an option B for the last 10 -20 minutes of games. Carr Coen and Loftus all looked poor.

Kildare were probably gassed from bringing everyone into their own half when defending. We missed as much if not more so I don't accept that as an excuse.

I’m glad we didn’t draw Donegal looking at this !

Kerry in the SF. They've ve played each other a fair bit in challenges over the last couple of years and Kerry have had the upper hand afaik. Still, they seem to be getting better as it goes on, so hopefully they're in with a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

Anyone know where the minor SF is likely to be played?

Advertisement