Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Cordell

Fair play to him for choosing Ireland over England.

But what is your point? Are you trying to say that black men can also be successful? Are you surprised to see a successful black man?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Call me slow to pick up but rest assured my wonderment does only intensify.

I was born on a ferry. Father’s the ferryman, my accent is ferry good sah.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It's the standard operating procedure of the politic. Indeed I'd see it as propaganda of the politic. Oh look successful Black man or woman(the vast majority of the time in sport or the arts), multiculturalism works!! *cue happy clappy unthinking smiles in the faithful. While the same politic ignores the wider facts about the seemingly intractable negatives of and for Black communities over generations in the same multiculturalism regardless of the country where it's in play. Not least for the Black community itself. Even at this happy clappy end the experiences of BAME sportsmen and women in our nieghbour paints a wider picture. Where 83% have been the target of racism.

In many ways it's a twisted update of the old style racism of "I like Blacks so long as they're entertaining for us(or dying in our wars for us)". You see this in the history and the current narrative of the Black American community. It's something those in that community have long recognised and spoken about.

But.... this time Ireland standing alone in the world, will be different. Of course when pushed for answers for how, we get nada, or deflection, or empty solutions of "education". Promises and solutions that haven't worked elsewhere.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

The country is fcuked already. Over 19,000 waiting on hospital appointments in my local hospital. It takes between a week and a fortnight to see my GP. That's if you do eventually get to see them. A couple of my family are working and renting, earning to much for council housing and not earning enough for a mortgage but paying more rent than a mortgage would be. A good few houses around them are habited by non nationals who have their rent paid. They are now concluding that they will never own their own home. I could go on but what's the point. This country has forgotten its own and I haven't a clue what the agenda is,and when it comes to racism and the likes, its the government who are the cause of racism by their totally disregard for their own citizens and total rudderless running of the country.

It's worth noting that that lad wouldn't be able to play and score for Ireland if he had been born here after 2004.

Makes you wonder did we shoot ourselves in the foot with that particular referendum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Cordell

Why do you assume he's an anchor baby? Do you know that his parents didn't have Irish citizenship, or they wouldn't ask for it if needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

He plays for Swansea in the Championship. It was a cracking goal, but let's not lose the run of ourselves.

If he wasn't playing maybe Scott Hogan who also plays in the Championship for Birmingham would have. If young Aaron Connelly wasn't injured he'd have been playing.

If my Uncle had.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

All of it is really irrelevant as very few people want a multicultural football team over a high trust and highly functioning society.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭lmao10

Unbelievable strike and the whole country was celebrating. The pub I was in went crazy and was still buzzing way afterward. The faces on some of the non existent far right must have been a picture watching this and the best thing about it is that there is much much more to come :)

• Advertisement

he faces on some of the non existent far right must have been a picture watching this and the best thing about it is that there is much much more to come 

I'll put my life on it that no one in the "far right" cared. You really think some lads were sitting around going "oh no a black lad scored for us"? 😂

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

My view is if they’re commited; they’re commited. To the ASYLUM! cough but just like Clint and those before, going way way back now Chris; Terry ..

nobody mentions terry but it makes no odds; end of the day long as you go out there, give it your best and put your best foot forward.

That's the thing, no one cares. Even the Justin Barrett's of the world likely didn't care because at the end of the day it's all of little to no importance. I happened to see the goal live, and I didn't even think about it, yet the "pros" on here are salivating over it. That's the problem with them, they think the other side has the reverse mindset; they get ecstatic over a non white scoring, so they think that the "far right" are sitting around seething over it. Yet in reality they're the only ones with a bizarre obsession with skin color, which is something that they once accused their rivals of.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Mr.KarateII

Don't forget that nearly every Politician here is a landlord. So ofcourse they want the population to explode. More money for them because they can keep jacking up their rent prices. Plus damn near all of them are eyeing a job in Brussels for the EU. Hence why they're so determined to keep up the Good boys act and continue this damned the consequences. Pure self interest in play.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

But.... this time Ireland standing alone in the world, will be different. Of course when pushed for answers for how, we get nada, or deflection, or empty solutions of "education". Promises and solutions that haven't worked elsewhere.

Promises and solutions that haven’t worked elsewhere because Governments appeared determined not to make them work. They were fine with immigrants to fill labour shortages, and didn’t really care about integration as long as their economies were kept ticking over. When their economies aren’t ticking over, people look for people to blame, and immigrants are always an easy target.

Ireland can’t help but be different, because we don’t have anything like the history of immigrants that other countries do. We still don’t have a large immigrant population, and attempts to import the politics of other countries has failed miserably - Ireland just doesn’t do political extremism like is seen in other countries. Extremism of any flavour just has never been popular with Irish people. We have an international reputation as a nation of charitable, pacifist humanitarians. We punch well above our weight on all three counts for a nation of our size. That’s what makes us different from other nations.

It’s easy to dismiss the idea of charity or humanitarianism out of hand, but that doesn’t invalidate the argument -

https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/travel/arid-40318733.html

I wouldn’t take much heed of what appeared to be Sweden’s ‘about turn’ on immigration either tbh. The recent ‘warning’ aimed in Ireland’s direction was nothing more than political posturing of one Swedish MEP who is in favour the EU building a wall on it’s border with Turkey while his own party back home at the same time are struggling to save their political skin by making deals with Kurdish politicians and introducing more lenient policies to regularise illegal immigrants -

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Weimers

https://www.ft.com/content/468b2fe4-370f-4ff4-b9c6-33bf5fa90dfa

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/sweden-19367-residence-permits-were-issued-in-april-representing-over-a-quarter-of-permits-granted-so-far-in-2022/

Similar story in the Germany, the Prime Minister in Sweden is lamenting her own countries failure to integrate immigrants in the same way Merkel did after her country failed to integrate immigrants. That lamentation came late in the day for Merkel, and wasn’t enough to save her political skin. New kids on the block came in and immediately promised to make good on their mandate of reforming immigration policies -

• Immigrants able to apply for citizenship after five years and allowed dual citizenship, a potential big change for thousands of ethnic Turks, many of whom remain foreign nationals after decades in Germany

https://amp.dw.com/en/germanys-spd-fdp-and-greens-unveil-governing-coalition-deal/a-59915201

https://wap.business-standard.com/article-amp/international/immigrants-could-solve-germany-s-birth-rate-crisis-121051000411_1.html

Meanwhile in Ireland, I still have my doubts that we’ll see Sinn Fein in Government after the next General Election, and the current shower knowing which way the political winds are blowing, are doing everything they can to hold them off and keep them out of Government, even going so far as to abandon their traditional political positions and ape leftist rhetoric - in essence we’re getting a preview of what the country would be like under a Sinn Fein government - all fur coat and no knickers, but that’s what appeals to the younger voting demographic, so you get this sort of thing going on among politicians -

Post edited by One eyed Jack on

its the government who are the cause of racism

No it’s not. It’s racists are the cause of racism. It’s as simple as that. The argument you’re trying to use to justify racism amounts to the same thing - “I wouldn’t be racist if other people knew their place”, “I’m not a bigot, I just blame the Government for treating foreigners better than Irish people”, etc.

Forgetting of course that the Government are elected by Irish people, because it sure as hell isn’t immigrants who are voting for them. On the same day as Irish people voted to curb citizenship, they also voted in favour of giving asylum seekers and refugees the right to vote in local elections -

https://www.unhcr.org/en-ie/news/latest/2004/4/40925f804/ireland-grants-refugees-asylum-seekers-right-vote.html

There were other reasons for the vote in favour of curbing our citizenship laws besides just putting it down to the idea that Irish people then were a nation of undercover racists, albeit that the Government of the day were appealing to racist sentiments in order to save their own political skin. They needed someone besides themselves to blame for the downturn in the economy, and immigrants were again just an easy target -

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2004/jun/13/ireland

One of the reasons for the 19,000 on waiting lists is because Government aren’t prepared to invest in resources in medicine in Ireland when it doesn’t have to. It’s one of the reasons for the Treatment Abroad Scheme which is an EU-wide initiative -

https://www2.hse.ie/services/treatment-abroad-scheme/treatment-abroad-scheme.html

The other reason is of course that while we can get the staff from overseas, we can’t retain them under current conditions -

Doctors complained of workplace understaffing and issues relating to the European Working Time Directive and the hours they are expected to work.

Medical Council chief executive, Bill Prasifka, said their survey shows that doctors trained in Ireland do not want to work in the Irish health service.

"As a result, the percentage of foreign qualified doctors on the register is increasing. They are, if you will, filling the gap,” he said.

So the issue for us is not that we have too many foreigners but we are not retaining doctors who are trained and qualified in Ireland. They are finding it better to practise medicine abroad. That is not sustainable.

President of the Medical Council, Dr Rita Doyle, said the situation is leading to an over-reliance on overseas trained doctors, which is escalating.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-30917179.html

Your relatives who are growing increasingly resentful of foreigners will be positively apoplectic if for any reason they need medical treatment in an Irish hospital and have to go on a waiting list, only to be likely treated by the same foreigners they bear resentment towards 😬

What a load of whataboutery crap.

Our health services are not suitable for our own population, we have no houses for our own, our public transport is not fit for purpose etc. Etc.

Time to close the door unless we're taking in professional people who are willing to support their family and themselves. But this will be totally lost on you as reading your Last paragraph it's all Doctors and professionals were taking in.

Either it pushes your narrative or you seriously need to wake up.

Nah, the whataboutery crap is one of your own making in pushing your own narrative of “our own” vs “everyone else”.

I just don’t subscribe to that narrative, which is why I never made any argument that it’s all doctors and professionals we’re taking in, in order to justify immigrants being treated treated fairly - what you’re trying to portray as Irish people being treated unfairly.

In reality, healthcare and housing have always existed as issues experienced by everyone, regardless of whether they were Irish or immigrants. Your relatives are now experiencing the same difficulties as everyone else has been experiencing for decades. While that is the fault of Government, it was Irish people who voted for them in the first place.

It’s always been Irish people who voted for them. Immigrants did not, no point in your relatives blaming either Government or bearing any ill will towards their neighbours for what is the result of… well, what you frame as “their own people”. That excuse isn’t going to justify resentment and discrimination, and it sure as hell isn’t going to close any doors. All it is, is people cutting off their noses to spite their face.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Promises and solutions that haven’t worked elsewhere because Governments appeared determined not to make them work. They were fine with immigrants to fill labour shortages, and didn’t really care about integration as long as their economies were kept ticking over. When their economies aren’t ticking over, people look for people to blame, and immigrants are always an easy target.

Ireland can’t help but be different, because we don’t have anything like the history of immigrants that other countries do.

There are many "multicultural" Western nations to choose from, with all sorts of politics, some extreme, some just as "ah sure it'll do", and different histories of immigrants(Sweden was hardly front and centre of European imperialism. Neither was Finland, or Norway). Find me one that works, where the exact same trends aren't in play. Just one will do. Please and thank you. It's quite amazing to me that all those social and political brains across numerous nations have failed and spectacularly failed in many cases to "integrate" their immigrant groups. Well some immigrant groups. You'd think one of them would have cracked this knotty problem, but they haven't. What does that strongly suggest? I would suggest it shows that at best a nation can keep a lid on the internal flashpoints, but they never go away. Basic human nature and you can't socially engineer that out so easily. But ah y'know sure the Irish, we're different. Radically different it seems.

We still don’t have a large immigrant population,

I don't know how you do basic sums, or how you define "large". Irish Times article from 2012, going on 2011 figures:

1 in 5 people living in Dublin were born abroad; 218,653 non-Irish born nationals now live in the city

70% of the 5,345 population of North City electoral division wre born outside the State

6 areas in Dublin city centre have a non-Irish resident population of more than 50 per cent

Figures that have certainly gone up. And that was just the official figures, not the illegals, pardon my language; "undocumented". And when you factor in the numbers who are in receipt of social support... Oh and look, ten years ago we were already seeing ghettoisation. Again just like every single other "multicultural" Western nation on the planet. Same trends already after barely a decade in play. But yeah, we're going to be magically different. Nah, nothing to see there at all, at all.

It’s easy to dismiss the idea of charity or humanitarianism out of hand, but that doesn’t invalidate the argument -

Actually it's a complete non argument in the case of the multicultural politic. America is the most charitable nation on the planet and their race relations are famously fúcked and their melting pot is melting, if it were ever whole in the first place.

There were other reasons for the vote in favour of curbing our citizenship laws besides just putting it down to the idea that Irish people then were a nation of undercover racists, albeit that the Government of the day were appealing to racist sentiments in order to save their own political skin. They needed someone besides themselves to blame for the downturn in the economy, and immigrants were again just an easy target

The article gives few of the "other reasons" and just trots out the guff of the time that this was "racist" and yet it still it got the overwhelming support of the Irish electorate. Along with of course that old rusty saw of the multicultists of "the Irish wuz migrants once".

'The lie stuck and I fear by stoking the race issue, the number of racist attacks will massively increase.'

So essentially that NGO talking head(quelle feckin' surprise..) was saying the race issue was the primary factor behind the vote? I have little doubt it had a large part to play in it. I have never denied racism and the "Them Vs Us" factor is one of the single main reasons multiculturalism fails. Of course it is, and it's not just one way either.

Your relatives who are growing increasingly resentful of foreigners will be positively apoplectic if for any reason they need medical treatment in an Irish hospital and have to go on a waiting list, only to be likely treated by the same foreigners they bear resentment towards

Yeah, that might fly if those working in our health services were underqualified, on social welfare, or illegals. Nobody on this thread has been against legal and controlled migration. And as you point out the main reason for the need to import labour is because of bad management of our health service going back decades.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Your right I'm pushing the narrative our own against the rest. And that's why you don't like it.

Let our government look after their own citizens before they start trying to look after any other countries citizens.

Firstly I have no objection to anyone coming to this country to work and support themselves and their families and add to the expansion of the country.

What I do have a problem with is the door being open to people who are straight on the social welfare payments and in need of housing and will never have any intention of working. We have enough of our own in this category needs addressed.

Secondly the word racist is now being used to stop people objecting to ridiculous government policies and saying how it really is.

If you're a racist for standing up for yourself and your family and calling out when something is wrong then I must be racist in your eyes.

• Advertisement

No we didn't. And we wouldn't have nearly as large a social welfare and housing bill or ghettoisation creep and social problems coming down the line if that stupid blank check for citizenship jus soli loophole never existed either. But hey some footballist scores a goal and that makes up for it in your mind. Of course it does.

African Americans dominate sport in the US and when the US competes internationally. Medals and records all over the place and multimillionaires made. Yay! Go Team Melting Pot America!! Yet the Black communities they hail from are fractured, poorer, die younger, are unhealthier, less educated, more likely to be homeless, on drugs, more violent, more dis-enfranchised, far more likely to be in gaol, where the leading cause of death in young Black men is murder. But wouldya look at all those medals...

The "arguments" for this Gilded Truth multicult are truly mind numbingly and shockingly naive and/or mind numbingly and shockingly imbecilic.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

Yet another article in the Indo today complaining that there's a 2 tier system at play for refugees in Ireland, nothing new there, what is worrying is that this article and more like it in recent days, are mentioning that Ireland is going to be the new go to destination for Afghans and every other bogus asylum seeker who won't go to the UK in case they end up in Rwanda. The government needs to act now but they won't. This country is an absolute joke. People need to read between the lines about what's going on here.

We cannot allow this country to become a giant asylum centre. Hotel prices are through the roof because so many hotels are block booked for asylum seekers and Ukrainians. There's a tiny percentage available for the ordinary tourist. People can't afford to pay 400 quid for an overnight stay before flying out of Dublin airport so DAA walk an extra 70 euro a week on to the price of car parking to gouge people who drive up because they can't afford hotels. Of course it suits the government, most people flying out of Dublin don't live in the area so that means filling up the tank and filling the government coffers there too.

I read earlier last week that a former Teaching Union official was complaining that the 183 per pupil allocated each September to cover the costs for the school year haven't increased to cover the additional student influx of the past few months, that has to be borne in mind when you think how many of these children have been put into small rural schools that could barely cope before this. There needs to be a complete overhaul of the asylum application system here, there should be no question of people arriving here illegally being considered for asylum. EVERY SINGLE failed asylum seeker needs to be put on a flight home, no ifs buts or maybes and it needs to happen now. Wait until we get to September and the **** show that is the refugees housed in student accommodation hits the fan.

I am totally convinced myself that it's Europe calling the shots in this country.

I can't think of any other reason that our government is letting this happen. And worse still there is not one party who seem to care that the country is going down the drain.

EU policy matters, Irish politicos falling over-themselves to appease their "betters", and shape their image, matters far more though. Most of us were brought up with: "Would you jump off a bridge if X wanted you to?". The Irish politicians answer to that in regard to the EU would be: "Yes, and I'll jump off the highest bridge than I can find".

There aren’t any that work, for the plain and simple fact that tribalism is part of human nature and social groupings are the fundamental building blocks upon which any society is based. There are always going to be inner and outer groups, with those in power deciding who’s in, and who’s staying out on the fringes of society. It’s true that Sweden weren’t up there with countries ruled by a Monarchy in terms of the lands and resources they claimed for their rulers, but they were none too shabby either -

https://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Swedish_colonial_empire

I define large by the idea that of the number of non-Irish nationals, immigrants, illegals, whatever, is greater than 1/8th of the population of Ireland as a whole -

The reports shows there were 645,500 non-Irish nationals living here last April, accounting for one in eight (12.9%) of the total population, the population of Dublin was estimated to be 1.43m, representing 28.5% of the total population, and there were 742,300 people aged 65 and over, an increase of 112,500, or just under 18%, since April 2016.

I’m not surprised the figures are higher in Dublin, it represents 1/4 of the population of Ireland as a whole. By my math at least, 1/4 is greater than 1/8.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40370168.html

The idea of Ireland having an international reputation as being a nation of charitable, humanitarian pacifists and being 3rd in the world punching well above our weight relative to our size, doesn’t lose it’s impact even when you’re comparing it to America which does not have an international reputation of being charitable, humanitarian pacifists. Their international reputation is the complete opposite of ours, it’s why they are scornful of their neighbours to the north who are a multicultural nation, just without the 2nd amendment. Instead they have the Canadian Multiculturalism Act since the 70’s. That’s not to say Canada is by any means a multicultural Utopia, it’s not, but it’s a lot more comparable to Irish society than the US.

http://news.unm.edu/news/what-we-can-learn-from-canadas-multiculturalism-policy

The “them vs us” factor based upon race wasn’t the only factor in terms of outcome of that referendum. Having two issues on the one day also helped increase voter turnout, the other issue being voted on is the one that’s always ignored, which lends credence to the talking heads idea that we’re a nation of racists - Irish people also voted in favour of extending the right to vote in local elections to asylum seekers and refugees! The Government favoured the passing of the referendum, well, they would, but it also ignores the fact that even when on the same day they held local and European elections, only two-thirds of the electorate turned out to vote, and of course in spite of the referendum being passed by a large majority, it did nothing to curb the numbers of asylum seekers and refugees seeking refuge in Ireland -

https://www.macrotrends.net/countries/IRL/ireland/refugee-statistics

Yeah, that might fly if those working in our health services were underqualified, on social welfare, or illegals. Nobody on this thread has been against legal and controlled migration. And as you point out the main reason for the need to import labour is because of bad management of our health service going back decades.

Oh it flies alright, we weren’t referring to anyone on this thread, the point was being made about the posters relatives who were able to determine that their neighbours accommodation is being paid for. From their relatives account we can determine two things - either they’re very friendly with their neighbours that their neighbours divulged such personal information about their circumstances, or - their relatives are making determinations about their neighbours off their own backs based upon the idea of their neighbours being blow-ins to the area and they don’t care much for their legal status and what they actually do or don’t do for a living.

The latter is far more likely than the former, but either way, getting all bent out of shape about their neighbours business isn’t going to have any positive impact on their circumstances, they’d still be in the same circumstances if their neighbours were Irish citizens.

Brits have played a blinder for themselves with the Rwanda stuff. Every day it's their policy will put off hundreds of people. We're going to look even more appealing with the CTA along with EU access. We've been sold out and for me it's pretty much time to leave. ****'s a bit fucked up in most places but most places have more upsides and a chance to get out of it, we're well past the point of return.

So true, because the people who are supposed to be looking after the needs of the citizens of this country are definitely not interested and don't give a damn for the future of it.

Your right I'm pushing the narrative our own against the rest. And that's why you don't like it. 

It’s not that I like it or don’t like it, I just don’t care much for it one way or the other, it’s your narrative, not mine.

Secondly the word racist is now being used to stop people objecting to ridiculous government policies and saying how it really is.

If it’s of any small comfort to you, I don’t care much for the word racist either, it’s why I don’t use it. I don’t imagine anyone who is actually racist cares much one way or the other for the opinions of anyone who would call them a racist.

If you're a racist for standing up for yourself and your family and calling out when something is wrong then I must be racist in your eyes.

Again, that’s YOUR narrative, not mine. I’m not responsible for what I actually see in my eye as your wanting to play the victim when you’re not being treated any differently than anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭lmao10

Is Ireland one of the only countries in the world where there are no racists or far right?

• Advertisement

Certainly one of the countries with the smallest numbers. Though some here would describe anyone who challenges the current immigration policy as ‘far right’.

Advertisement