Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dole 'summer bonus' .. are they for real?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

You'll get this last response.

How dare you question my need for a medical card, you've been told why I have one, you clearly have not a clue about types of medical cards issued. Your shameful and disrespectful post will be reported, absolutely disgusting and more so as I've explained the reason for mine.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭KilOit

Time and energy needs to be directed to billionaires accumulating wealth, top 1% got considerably more wealthy during the pandemic. But the usual **** here, upper class telling the middle class to blame the lower class for society issues

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I guarantee I earn more money than you.

What chaps my ass is that my taxes paid for your education. What a waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭ericfartman

I will question it as you seem to fail to grasp what really is happening in benefit Ireland and acting like a complete and utter bollox on this thread.

My last response to 😉

Christ you're a miserable individual.

Get a hobby, drink some camomile tea, see a counsellor - do whatever. Just stop trying to fool yourself you're doing anything other than logging in every day spewing bile.

Successful well adjusted people in life don't do what you do.

• Advertisement

Your the one replying here talking nonsense, maybe go get a hobby or something yourself instead of wasting your life on the internet?😘

Your the most miserable poster I've ever seen. I think your the one that needs help to be honest.

Seek help. A different life is possible.

Don't even bother with the winking emojis as it's obvious to everyone you're posting with a deep reserve of anger.

Beggar's belief how someone can be so narrow minded, spiteful, angry, bitter and childish

Some of the most bizzare comment and statements I've ever seen on Boards and that's saying something, I've been on Boards almost 12 years

I'll leave it at that 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 8,682 ✭✭✭corks finest

👏👏👏👏👏👌

• Registered Users Posts: 8,682 ✭✭✭corks finest

Tbh I sincerely think the majority of ppl on SW rather they wouldn’t be

• Advertisement

Indeed. He's posting here like he's hot sh*t, there's very little doubt in my mind that he's not exactly Jeff Bezos.

I've never met a someone that's settled within themselves and successful (and I'm not even talking about financial success here) that vomits such narrow minded bile.

Keep replying, I find it funny when someone responds to me who has the IQ of a turnip.

Do you like getting in arguments with random people on the internet? Have a drink or go for a long walk and relax because your clearly wound up.

Maybe counselling would help you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

That was Yurt who said that.

Well this is awkward…

It's astonishing stuff. I've worked for some extraordinarly wealthy and well know people over the years, all very grounded and decent people on a personal level, generous too and treated their staff with the upmost respect. Tough, demanding but appreciate and decent, they obviously didn't need to flaunt their success, it was obvious.

I'm actually stunned by this individuals arrogance and insensitivity, it's breath taking 😳😉

Don't you worry about my IQ eric, I do just fine in life.

Take a scan of your posts on this thread from the start and audit them for signs of anger. You've been vomiting bile from the first one.

You've had it coming.

Be well, I mean that. A different life is possible for you, but it's not found on here barfing narrow-minded gunge about people on welfare and insulting other posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

I’m joking this conversation a bit late so apologies if this has been addressed already.

I see the need for an increase in welfare rates and to help out people who are genuinely struggling, my question is where does the income to do this come from?

Are we raising taxes on the rest of the population or are we cutting funding to services?

Or 3rd choice are we going to borrow more to cover this recurring cost (economic no no option!)

It's not what counts in life Jangle, but in our friend eric, I know I'm not dealing with someone who contributes more in taxes than I. It's easily known.

And for accuracy, he was calling Dempo and I dole heads etc etc. I tought it might be of use to him to disabuse him of that notion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Do you believe that these billionaires are tax frauds or not paying their dues?

My mistake but having read back on the bile, I can now see why it was said,

Nothing awkward about vicious slurs and offensive comments being responded too, I suspect this mornings disgusting contribution from the predictable source will be deleted shortly

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Is this one of those stories like the free prams being left at the bus stop?

To compare, there is no Christmas bonus in Australia and they are generally more strict on how gets cash handouts then here.

• Advertisement

I'm not reading 400 posts, but are people really supporting the idea of a summer Dole bonus?

Cash giveaways don't work in any way shape or form, to lift people out of poverty, which should always be front and centre to lift people out of poverty.

The evidence is actually the exact opposite. For families and idividuals in a poverty trap, they know exactly how to spend it. School outcomes for children improve, the quality of the food they consume improves, the money generally stays in the local economy. Their ability to access employment actually improves. There are many many longitudnal studies across cultures and economies that bear this out.

The fags and booze sentiment is Tory boy nonsense not borne out by data. The above statement you made is an absolutist and ideological one - you should probably recognise it as such.

I'm not even necessarily speaking in favour of the 'summer bonus' here, but cash to individuals and families absolutely helps their circumstances, and taking it away definitively harms both them and social cohesion (not that many posters give a hoot about that).

Pure cash giveaways do little to help lift people out of poverty.

Setting up schemes to help those who want to be helped is much more beneficial to the individual and taxpayer. There is a mountain of evidence to show this. You get much more bang for your buck than just giving people money.

In Ireland we do a lot of the cash giveaway stuff, e.g. Child Benefit, which I would scrap in favour of free full-time childcare for everyone in the state.

Not sure why you have to get personal though with the 'Tory Boy' jibes if someone disagree with you. Cop on.

Mark, you're ideological predilictions are well known.

You made an absolutist and ideological statement that cash never helps. That's a nonsense, it's borne out by dozens of studies by serious people doing serious work to study these things and to implement policy.

I'm satisfied with my Tory boy nonsense (fags and booze) comment. It may sting, but it's true.

Too many people are happy with pretty little lies that serve the ideological psychodrama going on in their minds. This thread is evidence of that.

Using 'Tory Boy' pejoratives is just arguing in Ad-hominins and while it may stroke your own ego, ill call it out as juvenile nonsense.

I don't do it to you because I have more respect than that.

As I already said, the state should be spending much much more on childcare and getting rid of the ridiculous thing we call child benefit which oftentimes doesn't go near the child.

Why do wealthy people get child benefits? Older wealthier people get free tv licenses, fuel allowances, free travel and perks?

We all know why people get such allowances and perks, because people like the feeling of a direct benefit from the state in their back pocket, instead of money going to some other services that would help waaaayy more people in a more direct fundamental way.

People vote, but services don't. This.Is.Ireland

I've been consistent with that from day 1. It doesn't matter if you are on the dole, a Garda, a teacher or a millionaire pensioner, the same rules apply.

This is why things like Summer or Christmas Dole bonuses are ridiculous concepts and in reality a waste of money in the vast majority of cases. Spend it where it will make an actual difference for christ's sake.

You made an absolutist and ideological statement that cash never helps.

Just saw this now, and that is not what I said.

I said they do nothing or much to lift people out of poverty... key words are 'out of poverty', not that it doesn't help because it may help in the short term, but usually not in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,936 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

"Their ability to access employment actually improves"

Is this a piss take. Anyone who has every stepped foot in a shop or a pub in the last year has seen a sign for additional staff. There are thousands of jobs out there to be filled but they're not financially attractive enough for people who are given that money for nothing.

FWIW I never directed the Tory boy comment directly at you.

But, the booze and fags sentiment is definitively Tory Boy, and unfortunately it's on the same continuim of welfare to unemployed is a waste of "early risers" taxes. Everyone thinks they are the most productive clever boys, and everyone thinks they are losing out to someone else.

Actually, welfare measures such as cash are proven (longitudinal studies) to improve outcomes long term.

We've done this to death, but unfortunately there is a fallacy at play on this thread where people on the right on this matter like to pretend that the live register is frozen in time, and that the people accessing the dole this year are the same people that will need to access it next year or the year after that.

That's simply not true and we know it because the number of people who are long term unemployed and satisfied to stay there is vanishingly small.

We have to start dealing with reality and not ideological fever dreams.

Post edited by Yurt2 on

• Registered Users Posts: 28,936 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Do you have a figure on the "long term unemployed"?

• Advertisement

Advertisement