Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Had to miss the match with work, but decided to avoid the scores and watch in full on the player (thank god for vpns) - delighted I did! I saw the huge number of posts next to this thread so feared the worst, but bloody hell what a treat.

That front midfield/forward 5 has to just be the first team now. As others have said, Hendrick is a better footballer, but ultimately the bite and energy Molumby offered was outstanding. Never let the Scots settle. Could see his red boots snapping into everything. Best he's looked for us since Kenny's first window... hopefully now that he's finally playing regularly for his club he can keep this level of intensity up. Cullen and Knight are no brainers, and now so too are Parrott and Obafemi. I've a lot of time for what Ogbene and Robinson have done over the past year, but ultimately today's lads are just a class above.

I feel a bit justified now in my constant and probably annoying level of support for Obafemi over the last 3 years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Very impressed with Obafemi's performance, especially the vision he showed for the assist which is not something I thought he had in his locker. I wouldn't be getting carried away though as he was coming into the game with something to prove. Just hope he maintains the workrate when things aren't going our way.

I still think Kenny was right not to start him in Armenia. On the basis of what happened in March it wouldn't have been a good message to send out to the squad.

Collins looks superb. There was a passage of play in the second half where he outmuscled his opponent out on the wing to win the ball, coasted passed the same player and laid off the ball, then after Scotland won it back he made two interceptions in our box. I was reminded of Rio Ferdinand in that passage. A long way to go of course.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭McFly85

Very impressed with that win. Obafemi and Parrott were excellent but the whole team were on it today. Ireland are so much more relaxed when they score first, it’s the kind of thing you’d hope Kenny could teach them to be before they score!

It’s the kind of thing I’d hoped for from the Kenny reign - buzzing to be able to talk about positive performances and multiple goals! Tuesday will be tough but hopefully this result gives the team confidence. A draw there would be a fine end to this series of games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Yesterday was the perfect performance. 3-0, clean sheet, front players scoring and goalkeeper had no save to make.

Lansdowne was rocking yesterday . If you did not enjoy yesterday then you will never enjoy a Irish game.

Bily Gilmour was a eye-opener when came on. Scots have beaut there.

But we were outstanding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,474 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

At the game yesterday. Very positive Irish performance with some lovely goals.

Scotland were dreadful.

What's the story with the occasional booing of Robertson and McTominay? I truly hope it wasn't club football related!? If so, I give up on some people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Of course it was club related. Surprised you even had to ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Tbf the booing was **** embarrassing and fairly small time to be honest.

I mean, Kelleher plays for the same club as Robertson ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

5 great seasons with Liverpool and Scotland but a poor, tired performance in what was essentially an end of season friendly game makes him overrated- ffs. If he wasn’t captain, he’d have been on holidays by now having played so many games this season.

ireland played much better last night. Scotland are very poor. Obafemi is essential for us though as talent is so scarce in the squad. He’s a really decent player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

It was absolutely pathetic. My ST is in Upper West Stand and as far as I could make out it was predominantly from behind the goal. Hate that crap. First happened with that Danish player who played for Rangers (name escapes me) - absolutely childish behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

Fair play to Kenny he made all the right changes Parrott Obafemi Molumby McClean in from the start gave us a real energy that we haven't had in the last couple of games hopefully this is the last we see of Hendrick in midfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,860 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Fantastic performance yesterday.

I’d say kenny got a bit of quiet satisfaction out of that.

Particularly with so many firing sneaky comments his way.

I read in the Irish times yesterday that Martin o neill was making a few comments about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

One swallow does not make a summer. The amnesia in here of getting beat by Luxembourg, Armenia, Finland x2, draws with Azerbaijan, Qatar, Bulgaria x2, Hungary.

We’ve beaten a shockingly poor Scotland team with an awful manager, in a local derby. Our best player was a striker who up until now was shunned by our manager. Kenny still need to go, or we’ll never qualify for anything and never even challenge for qualification. He out of his depth, don’t let this freak result hide that.

Drawing with Hungary, a team that has recently beaten England and drawn in Germany is a very strange stick to beat Kenny with.

I genuinely feel sorry for you if you looked at yesterdays game and all you could take out of it was the manager had poor results in other games.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭athlone99

Hendrick is simply not good enough anymore. He has nice touches but simply hides and doesnt put in the work. Id rather Molumby all day and let the forward players at it. Hendrick goes wondering. He was a premier league player at the start of last season, went on loan to a championship club and couldnt get a game. He needs to get his finger out quick or his career will be over.

But its not one swallow. There has been results and good performances over the last year. They need consistency but with that the players need to be playing with their clubs.

How many games did Ireland get hammered in? How many long range shots were they beaten by? On other days those loses would have been draws.

So you expected us to be well beaten by Scotland, we beat them now and they are poor? How was Obafemi shunned? He hasnt played regular 1st team football till after xmas this season. He then turned down a call up in march and refused call ups for the 21s in the past.

The bitterness is unreal and if you couldnt enjoy yesterday i suggest you stop watching Ireland games until Kenny is actually gone, it cant be good for your health.

Goes to show that if Kenny does actually qualify the team for the Euros he still wont get any credit, sad to see.

For some people there is no recognition of improvement. Whatever Kenny does someone else will do better. If Kenny got us to a semi final in the Euros we’d be told a half decent manager would have won the tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Hahahahahahahaha, Kenny qualify for anything. Funniest post on the thread in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Really shows the work that went on behind the scenes to bring Michael back into the team too. We've been crying (in some cases literally) out for the sort of creativity he displayed yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

Lovenkrands and the fans actually booed the wrong player that night as well another fella was announced as lovenkrands and booed. The booing of Robertson is much worse as its Irish man utd fans booing a Liverpool players which is all kinds of pathetic and sad.

How things might have been different if Hourihane could kick the ball into the net from 5 yards out...

Bitter till the end, that takes some committment, fair play to ya!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭trashcan

This is the hilarious thing. Before the game Scotland were much better than us, now they’re a poor team with a bad manager ! People say Kenny supporters spin things, but it works both ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

The landsdown crowd has always been a bit odd. I'd say about half of them never go to any other games. Remember when Liam Miller got pelters for leaving Celtic.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,992 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Hendrick has come in for some stick when he's the midfielder most likely to try penetrative passes to split the opposition defence. Yesterday suited Molumby to a tee as it was a game we needed players with energy in midfield, and maybe we wouldn't have faded after the opening 15 mins against Ukraine if he started that game too.

Hendrick has his uses as he's the most likely midfielder to try play those passes that will split a defence, but if we're playing with a two man midfield it's gonna put unnecessary pressure on the team most likely.

Didn't think I'd be defending Jazzy Jeff in the year 2022 but since Kenny has come in its the best we've seen from him since Euro '16. Badly needs to sort out his club situation this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Yeah I know what you mean, as most of the Irish supporters look at the Irish team through the British (club) lens. As that is where the ‘glamour’ and ‘event’ is.

The majority are just consumers of the British football product ONLY rather than Soccer fans in the truest sense.

Which usually starts when they are about 10 of which ever British team was successful at that time.

So majorly of Irish soccer supporters are framed mentally by the British game ONLY. It is colonialism by marketing.

Celtic is a particularly odd one the marketing says Celtic =Oirish. People still fall for the trick. They play up to the didily die do Oirish angle.

The funniest one I remember was involving foreigners. Spanish student goes off to Carroll’s tourist shop. Comes back real proud of himself said he had an Irish jersey. It was a Celtic one. That took some explaining! Or another time with Spanish students, me watching telly soccer on. They glance at it Celtic? No says I, it is Shamrock Rovers! Confused looks.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Kerr basically praising the overall effectiveness of Ireland’s more direct approach in the Scotland game. Showing variation keep opponent teams guessing etc.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

You would think Spanish fans would know we'll that many teams wear Green or green and white. In fact I think it's only the UK that green is almost non-existent as a club colour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,982 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

How many of the Scottish squad yesterday could of played for Ireland ?

Good result yesterday but could mean nothing if we go over to Poland and get destroyed which is very possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Well there should be no reason to fear being dismantled off the back of a confident win. I mean we played these lads less than a week previous and only lost 1 - 0.

”Don’t get beat”

This is great prep for the Euro qualifiers. The type of results we need to get. I’m confident we can get a result, how could you not be after yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,612 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Would agree with that, not just him though. There’s no need to play out from the back unless it’s possible to do so. Whenever there’s a midfielder or wing back available you play out if not you go long and try to pick up second phase possession. It also makes sense to keep the opposition guessing, to mix it up at every opportunity. If you always play out from the back they’ll just press high. You must keep them guessing is the key thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

"Means nothing if we get beaten by a team who should be in League A"

G'way ya spoofer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

The absolute state of this. The energy you get out of being so miserable must be something otherwise why would you even bother watching us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Why are people still biting to fandymo?? :Facepalm:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭deisedude

Obafemi previously was either not fit, not playing or didn't make himself available but sure, distort history to suit your argument.

Hungary beat England the other night btw

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Clarke isn't an awful manager either. He took Kilmarnock to Europe (his successor got them relegated). He got Scotland to the Euros by beating Serbia and they drew with England in Wembley at it. They beat Denmark in World Cup qualifying and got to the playoffs.

They're all decent achievements. They definitely had an off-night yesterday, but that happens and for a change, we took full advantage.

Kenny isn't a saviour all of a sudden, but let's not hold back credit where it's due.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Missed yesterday's game as I was at a wedding but what a fantastic result. Delighted for the players and for Kenny, it's a badly needed confidence boost. Watching it back here now on the player.

It's clear one or two posters have such a strong hatred for Stephen Kenny that they almost want to see the team fail. But I do agree that the pressure is still on him, a result and performance like that is no use in isolation. We know what this team is capable of and we will get better, but we can't keep taking two steps backwards everytime we look like we're finally becoming a decent team. A win on Tuesday would be huge, we have to be confident after yesterday but realistically Ukraine are a much better team than we are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

seems like practically everyone is an awful manager to some people. Clarke is a good manager on what I observe. Kenny I’d say is an ok to good manager; somewhere in that range. He’s one of the most inarticulate managers I’ve seen but I just don’t watch his media output.

from listening to ex pros a lot of quite celebrated managers are complete bluffers, such as Harry redknapp.

the players had a few pints in the Aviva lounge After the game going by Instagram. Hope it didn’t turn into a late session on the town.

will be interesting to see obafemi’s next year, he played to a level yesterday that I was highly dubious I would ever see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

I'd agree with the sentiments above about Kenny not being good enough to qualify us for a major tournament. You cant expect a manager that had a disastrous reign as Dunfermline manager to be capable of managing a top 50 ranked side in world football & previously regularly top 30. He's the cheap option, yes, & yesterday was a good result but if you get beaten by Europes worst side & then played off the park by a second string Ukrainian eleven you should be out the door.

The key thing here is progression, the players arent showing enough improvement whatsoever in playing under him. A good win here or there against a Scottish side who didnt seem to care doesnt cut it.

Unfortunately our options are limited, the FAI thanks to Delaney are screwed for a long time to come. The players coming through are no where near the calibre we used to have. I think we really messed up when we didnt lock in Grealish & Rice. If we had managed to get both of those, I could've seen alot more players with Irish heritage coming to play for us. But it is what it is now.

Id like the govt to get involved a bit more. Put more money into the FAI & get rid of the majority of board members who colluded in corruption under Delaneys reign. Increase funding in the grass roots level & improve our scouting across the UK. Fire Kenny & get Chris Hughton, Hodgson or even Keane in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭deisedude

Can we have a rule in this thread that if you suggest we should have capped Grealish and Rice that you get permabanned.

Jaysus H Christ they didn't want to play for us, get over it to fcuk

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

You could play a fun game of bullshit bingo in Jim Wallace's post.

We should have capped Rice/Grealish - check

Bring in Roy Keane - check

Let the Government make changes in the FAI that it has no capacity to make - check

More money for grassroots and foreign scouting but no mention of the LoI - bingo!

• Advertisement

2 things

• - I don’t believe Kenny’s reign at Dunfermline was disasterous. Maybe at shamrock rovers it was. The pars were relegation candidates that got relegated. The manager lost his job, it happens all the time.
    • - the Irish government should be more hands on with supporting infrastructure development but not giving money to the fai for appointing managers which you appear to be suggesting. It’s not a government function to improve the brains trust of the Irish football manager….and if it was I’d hope they’d look at better names than the ones you are suggesting

Firstly you assume Hodgson, Keane or Hughton want the job.

Then you forget the likes of Southgate, Lowe, Page and half the managers of the "minnows" doing better than us. International management is now the domain of dedicated nobodies (not an insult) and semi retired big league managers.

The only way out of this is your suggestion to increase funding in grassroots which is exactly what "minnows" like Armenia and Luxembourg have done. But that's a long road strategy and we will lose a lot more along the way before we start to win.

Not as simple as that. I believe both would've been happy to play for us before the agents got involved. Most modern day players are money motivated firstly and then after that international allegiance come into play. They both liked us enough to play for our youth teams. They should have been capped at a much earlier stage to prevent what happened. It was primarily because of our dysfunctional football association. Its not like Grealish especially is having a much better time being a bit part player as a part of the English squad.

The association needed to be smarter & more on the ball, thats what im talking about

I agree but respected journalists in Ireland are forever mentioning it aswell.

Grealish never had a chance of playing for irelahd once he showed he was a first rate player. Rice maybe could have stuck with Ireland but he’s was an English man pretending to be Irish ; good luck to him.

frankly England deserve something from Ireland for basically providing a football industry to Ireland coz we couldn’t.

For a start Kenny was 35/36 when he went over to manage the pars. Thats also 15 years ago. How about his achievement of winning games in Europa league group stage?

To me that post is nothing but a wind up. Also you want government money so the FAI can fire Kenny? Utter utter nonsense!

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

He’s having a better time because he’s playing for the country he identifies as being from.

wallace, your post demonstrate that you are clueless. The Irish government cannot run the fai by proxy.

to educate yourself read more here https://punditarena.com/football/robredmond/fai-fifa-uefa/

Whats his age got anything to do with it? Either he's good enough or not. No wonder the Irish team is where it is. He achieved close to nothing outside of Irish football

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Egan confirmed out. Definitely haven't had much luck with injuries. Hopefully Obafemi is fit, if he's out as well I don't think we've much hope of getting a result.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement