Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

Apparently the number of Liverpool players registered as asthmatics and requiring salbutamol is outrageously high compared to statistical analysis of incidence in the general population. The accusation is that it’s a form of doping as salbutamol affects the alveoli in the lungs and aids oxygen absorption. There are a few articles about asthma/Liverpool online.

This isn’t a new phenomena, I went to a boarding school with high achieving teams in the late 80’s, inhalers were handed around the dressing room before matches, everyone used them, even non asthmatics. But in PL only players who have registered the existence of the condition can use salbutamol. Apparently 63% of Liverpool squad are asthmatic, the national average is 12%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Aye that seems a bit sus alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

The origin of the inhaler story was a low-rate sports website (i believe) and the journo was an unknown, with no genuine sources. So in essence it's a piece with utterly no substance, yet it grew legs for a while. Just recently an Instagram influencer (MorePlatesMoreDates) picked up the same story and featured it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Went to a Christian Brothers school back in the 80s and we thrived on getting picked up by the locks and getting the odd chalk board duster getting thrown in our direction.

We went onto reaching two school Croke park finals and managed to win one. Good times, it's a pity we weren't allowed to play football though because we had some handy players.

Never heard of this inhaler thing till the Liverpool conspiracy.

It is hard to find an elite professional cyclist apparently who isn’t an asthmatic, and there were rumours a few years ago that both Leinster and Ireland rugby teams had an unusually high number of asthmatics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It's worth keeping in mind that there is a distinction between general asthma, and excercise-induced-asthma. Apparently a huge number of athletes fall into the latter camp literally as a by product of long term top level wear and tear on the lungs from being pushed to the limit so often for long periods of time.

So the comparison with the general public is not so relevant, as in the cases we're talking about here it's literally come about as a result of being a top athlete. And to be allowed to use inhalers etc, you have to show proof of this type of asthma having developed.

Bit of an article on it here from the European Lung Foundation.

Having said all that, in Liverpool's case there was never any confirmation that loads of them are asthmatic. There was only ever that one joke of an article from that weird Irish fella in Russia that read like it was written by an 11 year old, and who only cited a 'source close to the club', and that was it. Nothing more concrete than that. So, major pinch of salt that Liverpool are actually an outlier I'd say.

Here's an interview with the Head of the Exercise Respiratory Clinic at the University of Kent talking a bit about that rumour, in connection with excercise induced asthma (and debunking the actual performance benefits of inhalers);

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Sus level reducing...

Thanks for that post Rebel.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

A decent analysis on Nunez form a while back. It cleared it up for me at least. Better than saying he like Andy Carroll.

The pizza chart numbers are extremely impressive. You would really wonder if JK plans on adjusting Liverpool's strategy any or will he ask Nunez to press. His pressing stats are very average, but as pointed out, he currently does not play for a pressing team in a league where Benfica enjoy 65% possession most weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Possibly a 6 year deal being mentioned, probably wise given the latest trend of players letting their contracts run out and the uncertainty that causes.

I still wouldn't rule out a mane u turn, if firmino, origi and minamino were gone..... I presume it might hinder investment in to bringing down the average age of our midfield though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ballyargus

I'm a runner and ran competitively for many years. I have exercise induced asthma too. Tbh Ive never really noticed it. I was just told that i had it by a doctor. If he hadnt said anything, i doubt I'd have ever been aware of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

Surely all that matters is the evidence. Does anyone writing articles or commenting on the % of Liverpool players registered as Asthmatic have actual published referenceable data or is it all conjecture?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

So about one Harry Maguire.

Hopefully he hits the ground running now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Damien360

I’ll wait for the official picture complete with a good angled lean.

Agreed with the player, agreed with the club, I presume the medical is a formality.

Don’t forget Fekir did the interview with LFCTV n full kit before the club then decided to pull out of the deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Cant help but be impressed by our decisiveness and speed in the market again, 2 weeks ago a key player says he's leaving and we have his replacement signed in a big money deal.

Bring in an experienced young midfielder next and we are done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Damien360

I knew there was a recent one but couldn’t think of his name when posting

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

This.

I'm confident but will still wait for the pic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Funded by sales again. Imagine what Klopp would do if the club could get a £1.5bn loan from the owners (that never had to be paid back).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Give him a chance. Can't expect a top notch lean until he's spent a few weeks with the Liverpool leaning coach!

A reported £120k a week wages on a 6 year deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Klopp has always been a Kane fan and would take him in a heartbeat if he could get him. Liverpool would be european champions right now if Kane, rather than the misfiring Salah, had been on the end of all those wasted opportunities against Real that night. It's not going to happen now but at times you need to plan for short term gains rather than long term ones. Nunez could well turn out great but, right now, he is nowhere near as accomplished as Kane or even Haaland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Imagine what he could do if he could manage a club that were a commercial superpower that could get hundred million euro "sponsorship deals" from start up's despite only being successfull a wet week!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Regarding the 6 year deal, you can look at it 2 ways, if he works out, it will look like a great move, but, if it doesn't work out, we could be left with a player that's difficult to move on.

Salary will seem very low in a couple of years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

We'll only really know in a few years if it was a good deal or not, when Salah was signed for example I thought we had overpaid for an average enough player, now that deal looks like the best bit of business Liverpool ever did. The Keita deal on the other hand would have to be viewed as a bit disappointing overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Let's hope he is more like Kane and less like Karius with the Uber long contract

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Those startups were never successful, some of them didn't even exist!

Im not even a pool fan and i am more positive about them than you have ever seemed to be by reading your post which are always always so negative

Nice options with a few different formations now

-------------------------------------Ali----------------------------------

TAA/Ramsey-------------Gomez/Konate/Matip/VVD------------Robbo/Tsimikas

---------------Fab/Thaigo/Hendo/Naby/Jones/Elliott/Carvalho-------------

-------Salah/Elliott--------------Nunez/Jota/Bobby----------------Diaz/Jota.

---------------Fab/Thaigo/Hendo/Naby/Jones/Elliott/Carvalho----------------

------Salah/Elliott--------Bobby/Carvalho/Naby/Thaigo------------Diaz/Jota

----------------------------------Bobby/Nunez/Jota----------------------------

-----------Salah/Fab/Thaigo/Hendo/Naby/Jones/Elliott/Carvalho/Diaz------------

-------------------------------Bobby/Jota/Nunez----------------------------------

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Alisson signed a 6 year contract when he was bought and VVD signed a 5.5 year contract when he was bought, in January. They were the 2 previous biggest transfers, so there is history with giving the longer contracts to the big transfers.

Clubs, in their financial accounts, will amortize players transfer fees over the duration of the contact, so that could have played a part too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,488 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

64m pounds, thats a long way from 100m pounds.

He's reasonable priced now, not some crazy number, it's a decent price, you'd fully expect we'll do more in sales than that 64m.

Minamino I'd keep though. With Mane Ox and Origi going or gone Minamino will be more useful.

Hopefully Diaz improves next season, needs more of an impact in the massive games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Wonder will we get a midfielder this summer? Think we really need an injection of new talent in midfield with Fab/hendo/thiago's injury record

Is Tapping Up a fact of life these days. It used to be a term thrown around to shame both players and agents, but these days it's a free for all. We all know Mane is a Liverpool players, fact, but we all know Bayern have talked to him, and agent about a move according to reports. Mane's Agency is located hour from Bayern

Barca again are promising Salah the moon and the stars come Jan, 6 months away.

Seems so silly now reading that, as everyone is at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I guess you cannot stop agents from speaking to club representatives to gauge interest in their player. Once it is known another club is interested the power lies with the player so they are in pole position to ensure the move will happen. I would guess with football being quite a small family as well it is in your interest to maintain good relations with the other clubs rather than approach other players without the permission of the club he currently plays for.

As you mention it seems to be an open and shut case that tapping up happens, but no club would be innocent and it makes no sense to start throwing accusations as it could come back to bite you. If we do accuse Bayern of tapping up they may throw Thiago at us.

• Advertisement

Adel Taarabt on his team mate Nunez

We saw in his first training session that he would be one of the best strikers in the world. He has the mentality of a South American. He likes to win, he is a winner and a fighter. The only issue I see is the language barrier

Nunez’s physicality, pace, and power should mean he adapts to the Premier League with ease.

How I’d compare him? He’s a mix of Edinson Cavani & Luis Suarez. He can leap and he can go behind. For those who have a look at his physique, he’s a machine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Seems like we have reached an agreement with Benfica. All that is left now is for the player to sign and the medical.

"In the early morning hours of this Monday (0:44 am), Sport Lisboa e Benfica – Futebol, SAD informed the Securities Market Commission (CMVM) that it had reached an agreement with Liverpool FC for the sale of all rights to the player Darwin Nuñez, for the amount of 75 million euros.

To the CMVM, Benfica's SAD also informed that " the agreement provides for the payment of a variable remuneration, so the global amount of the sale could reach the amount of 100 million euros ".

"It is further informed that the aforementioned agreement is dependent on the signing of the player's sports employment contract with Liverpool FC", it is further explained in the official document."

Translated from the link. I assume that is the official website for Benfica.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Tiz done,just the leaning to cement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Really impressed with how decisive we've become. I'm sure they were thrown a curveball with Mane looking for out, but within a fortnight or so they've gone out and got their man (I don't think this would have happened unless Sadio was moving).

No delay, no pi55ing about, no arguing or missing out for the sake ot a few % on the deal, just close the MF and get it done.

Haven't seen a whole lot of the guy, but one thing we've been good at in recent years is recruitment, so I'm not worried about him succeeding on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

it is said here so many times, but it really is a golden time to be a Liverpool supporter. Thrashing it out on several fronts including Europe year in year out, bossing the transfer market in the most satisfying way, shrewdly.

it won’t alway be like this but I think last years monumental efforts put Klopp at the pinnacle now.

for my money and limited knowledge, the greatest manager in the clubs history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The fact there had been no rumours of a new contract for Mane makes me think he told the club last Summer he'd like to move on and they came to an agreement for one more year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Couple more billion and could be able to score in a final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

I've just received a "We didn't want him anyway ..." message. They're getting the message out before the signing is officially announced I guess. 😂

• Advertisement

Couple more billions and MC might win their first CL. Worth noting that two of those finals were against the team that beat MC in last yrs final, where MC didn’t score, and the other one was against the team that scored 6 against MC to get there.

Advertisement