Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭combat14

hearing from some landlords that prices are now good and its quite simply the time to sell

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I wouldn't be comparing to the Trichet era ,he was a disaster as ECB president and lesson's were learned from his ultra hawkish approach, no going back to that, even the Germans don't want that

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Indeed ,REITS are effectively inverse bond proxys, investors won't buy a REIT paying 4% of a dividend if treasuries are paying over 3%.

The main Irish REIT is well down this year too in expectation of ECB hikes , it has never tracked the real property market as its purely a creature of investment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

A good analysis on what has been mentioned here around companies buying housing for workers. Honestly, I completely understand why people would vote for any party that claims it will ban corporate owners of property at this point. We are very much not a rental country in that it is totally unsustainable to rent long term in comparison to buying a home so if you are an unfortunate caught renting, you are really getting shafted the longer Ireland experiences "growth" (which is double speak for impoverishing renters and "late to the punch" homeowners).

What's crazy is that people somehow think prices could not come down and that they are sustainable in some way despite clear evidence the only reason prices are constantly increasing is because of State actions (throwing money at the market and trying to quench supply as much as possible) and (as far as I'm concerned temporarily desperate) companies (not property investors) now getting involved to buy up properties. The scary thing is that now these companies will be added to the list of vested interests that don't want to see housing costs drop the necessary amount they need to to become more sustainable (30/40%) because of course they will lose out big time. There's now little cash in the budget to take the heat off workers so it is getting even more likely that neither FF and FG will be near government after the next election, with SF and friends potentially holding all the cards (which is a political risk to our economic model according to the IDA).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

We have exactly the same reaction now as 8 years ago from some posters. Back then because small LL were not upgrading properties they taught corporate LL ( which LL lead to the REIT legislation).

The government is not trying to stifle supply, but it knows the way it can get the most properties build is to have the private sector build them. Neither dose it want to recreate getto's of the 60's-80's.

The only answer is SUPPLY it really simple. But in Dublin anything is expenyto build as most labour has to travel in and out of the city.

From 2010-2016 we build virtually no houses at 30 k/ year that is 240 k properties ( just about what we are missing) so go figure.

Yesterday we has Social Democrats, Roisin Shorthall once again on about a rent freeze. Giving 10 euro to all SW payments encouraging every small LL to consider there position.

The HAP increase last week will put 60+ euro/month into the pocket of any SW couple renting privately in Dublin.

Reits are now tied into the system they seem to be targeting the rental 1&2 bed apartment sector in central Dublin. If they exit then no apartment's will be build. Do I like them no but at this stage we have no choice. We need SUPPLY, SUPPLY, SUPPLY and it's going to cost money

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

How one could not forecast that govt pursuing such policies would lead to an emergency situation not just for housing but for the economy as a whole. Fg have alot to answer for as its predominantly their policies that got us here and they were in power when maximum lower cost solutions could have been implemented to alleviate the issue

At least when Ff broke the country, we had something after it in infrastructure terms and a practically debt free state with a pension reserve fund going into it. They also did much of the heavy lifting in implementing the tough corrective action after the bust and taking the electoral punishment.

24 billion in excess corporation taxes since 2016 and the state can't add or implement policies that add a few houses each year to help the people and companies that generate this revenue for the state, not to mention that such policies not only cool housing inflation, but could also be a significant revenue generator to the state. This benefits not only the general population but also long term investors in property in smoothing out the boom/bust cycles that can potentially destroy them

I apologise for speaking kindly of FF, but we are where we are, that often quoted term of the last crash

Until 2016 the state had virtually no excess cash. At present we have a current budget deficit if 4+ billion. There was no way pre 2016 that there was a political will to start house building. If you suggest from 2010-16 we needed to build houses you be sent to a psychiatric hospital and locked up. I can guarantee you that nobody forecast the present problem in the 2020-2916 period

If the state builds direct it in general gets lower production from the same workforce. Even if they did mass build from 2017/18 it would have increased labour costs faster. Nobody forecast the effect COVID and the Ukraine war would have. Actually at the start of COVID you had many on the property market forum all on about a collapse in house price and advising low ball bidding and welshing in contracts pre signing.

You still have these people as we enter an inflationary period s as Ying house prices will collapse by 20% in the next 12-18 months if PQ was around he would have being forecasting a drop in value ever three months for the last year.

There is no magic bullet just SUPPLY to solve this issue

Slava Ukrainii

If you suggest from 2010-16 we needed to build houses you be sent to a psychiatric hospital and locked up

You may have put your finger on the problem. Lobbyists and vested interests were embraced while independent genuine experts were ignored

Ronan Lyons 01 October 2013

Lyons’ concern is not another credit-fuelled bubble in the capital but the fact that Dublin is not building enough housing units. A consistent supply would stop prices in the capital rising again to unsustainable levels he says:

By not building sufficient supply in Dublin, the ripple effect has pushed people further away, and people in those areas have been pushed out because they are unable compete with Dublin salaries. Investment funds that pay no tax have speeded up the process

Yet it still did not pay to build houses. Nobody can encourage developers to build at a loss if they did the great and good would be screaming.about builder/ developer subsidisation just like now.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

I purchased a bit of a doer upper in 2014, tradespeople were falling over themselves to get the work, so got as much done as I could then

The state was the the largest landowner in the world in 2013, 14, 15. There definitely could have been something done to at least help balance the supply demand issue in Dublin. It would have helped in retaining some of the much needed skills that left/diversified.

Construction spending is great economic enabler with the cash continually recycled within the economy. The costs would be minimal with the benefits substantial

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

write a letter of complaint to Germany and the IMF about there austerity which they have both admitted since only compounded problems.

If I remember correctly the imf in particular were very much in favour of socially progressive smart solutions and AJ Chopra was quiet a popular person in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

I just think this is completely wrong. The supply of btr we are getting is massively destructive to Ireland.

If you think of most pre 21st century families, they buy a home and that home becomes an asset as they pay down the mortgage. Now young people working spend a massive proportion of their wage on rent. That money leaves Ireland and goes to a pension fund in Canada. That's a disaster for Ireland.

We need the right kind of supply not these stupid BTR apartments that are beggaring an entire generation.

Dublin is a capital city with limited space. New build will have to be mostly apartments. Like most capital city dwellers around the world, apartment living is a necessity…..houses a luxury

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

There is so much land inside the M50, e.g. https://www.businesspost.ie/news/plan-for-10000-new-homes-on-inchicore-rail-works-site/

That's not to say I'm against apartments. The proportion that are allowed build to rent should be reduced from 82% to something like 82%. If they can't be built for the price, that's fine because they're useless to people in Ireland, they're just beggaring the citizens of Ireland and the government. I'm sure the builders would still find a way to make money by building apartments that are suitable for sale and not the micro boxes that can never be repurposed in the ludicrous build for rent schemes.

The BTR is destroying a generations opportunity to move out of home, have children, etc. If it were me, I'd pull the plug on the special exemptions yesterday. Enough is enough.

Post edited by mcsean2163 on

Don't forget the golf courses. Far too many within the m50 that would be better off being new homes sites, sporting complexes and public parks. We can't have it both ways anymore; this small town type of vibe in Dublin whilst at the same time welcoming tens of thousands of new people each year to the city looking to live there. And I say this as someone who played in one of those golf courses for a decade; madness that they can still exist in such large numbers within the city.

Approximately 14% of hotel rooms are being paid for by the State to house refugees. 53% of tenants get State support (via rental assistance payments, councils/State-funded charities purchasing new homes to rent out cheaply to social tenants/entering into long term leases with landlords etc.). €144,000 can be given to developers for each apartment they build outside of Dublin, with no equity to be given back to the State in return. Help-the-brickie is another State scheme also allows buyers to buy homes they, quite simply, cannot afford.

Meanwhile the government is trying to quench any talk of a "giveaway" budget; which of course means that the free money the government clearly have access to may not be around forever, but what little the country has is being criminally squandered.

Maybe RTE could do a 2022 version of the "I'm an adult get me out of here!" show; "I'm a working professional in a BANANA Republic, get me out of here!"

Commercial (which does not include housing in this context for some reason) construction almost at a standstill due to inflation, but housing construction defiant to inflation in contrast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

Pure banana republic stuff below , no minutes kept for extremely generous handouts to developers and ABP stuffed full of Fine Gaeler's who have brought the once respected state body into disrepute over the last few years. Beggining with Phil Hogan hiring Paul Hyde onto the board.

From the SBP's Killian Woods

I've been reporting for a few weeks on how a €450m subsidy for apt developers was created/devised. I've hit a bit of a brick wall. 'No records kept of what was said at a Dec 21 Croí Cónaithe meeting with construction industry and banking lobbyists'

Property industry and banks helped design the scheme, which gives developers subsidies of between €25,000 and €144,000 per unit to build apartments

Cork City Council passes vote of no confidence in An Bord Pleanála

• Advertisement

when hostels are charging 100 a bed in a 31 room dorm here it pretty much sums up how bad things are here

Finance Ireland the third lender to increase mortgage rates

The mortgage provider is increasing its three and five-year fixed rates by 1.2pc, a larger than expected rise.

most borrowers will certainly notice these increases e.g. a 1% increase means an extra €131 per month, or €1,572 a year, in repayments for a homeowner with a €250,000 mortgage over a 25-year term, and an 80pc loan-to-value.

Considering a lot of new builds in and around Dublin are at least €4/500k the last few years, those mortgage holders could be facing minimum €200+ per month increases to start in a few months, likely doubling to €400+ per month by the end of the year and into the start of next year as the ECB rate rises approach 1-1.5%. Not great when inflation is continuing to soar and food inflation is going to keep rising into next year as higher input costs now feed into higher prices when the food gets produced. While rents are limited to a maximum of 2% increases, it is likely that a full on rent freeze will be introduced at some stage; unfortunately nothing similar can be introduced for mortgage repayments. The government are wedded to spending our precious cash on propping up the housing market instead of allowing it to correct which also means they have less scope to take the heat out of some of the hotter inflation areas (eg cutting excise on fuel, more electricity credits etc) - a kick in the mouth to working families who receive no benefits from the State but with FF and FG, are you surprised?

The seaside "dream wfh" homes will start to collapse in value I think as even the one day commute is looking to increase substantially with petrol costs and these properties were definitely in high demand because of the very limited set of circumstances (ie once in a lifetime covid lockdown) which made them the most sought after homes on the market, but together with the increased mortgage repayments and commuting costs, the isolation is probably starting to sink in given there isn't actually that much going on in a lot of the more rural Irish countryside in comparison to the big towns, with little to no prospect of sustainable and vibrant communities developing given the new home pipeline is poor for the country.

• Administrators Posts: 53,755 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

How many people who bought in the last few years do you think is on a variable rate mortgage? The most likely answer is almost none.

But to entertain you, for mortgage payments for these people to go up by like 400 euro a month you are talking ~2% increases in rates. You believe rates are going to go up 2% in 6 months?

Well, I like to be entertained. As far as I'm aware, mortgage rate increases aren't directly 1:1 to the ECB rate increases, with mortgage rates often being increased more than ECB rates. From what I have also seen, up to 5 years fixed would've been the maximum that people fixed for as standard in recent years, but a lot would've only done 1,2 or 3 years fixed. While these people may not be paying a few hundred extra per month by the end of the year, their mortgage repayments, if not fixed, would be due to increase by that much when the fixed period ends by the end of the year/into next year, should we see 1-1.5% ECB rates instead of the 0.25-0.75% people somehow think will be sufficient to do any damage to inflation.

So, for example, using the local new builds in Greystones from the last few years as an example; €450,000 new home cost for a FTB, using €25,000 savings and €25,000 HTB to make up the deposit, purchased 2/3 years ago on a 1-3 year fixed mortgage of €400,000, could be looking at €300+ per month increases in repayments with a 1% increase in the variable rate. Assuming they are higher rate taxpayers (as they would need to be to secure such a mortgage), this would require an extra €7,200 gross increase to their salary to cover without being poorer than last year. That's a bit grim to see such an, on paper nice, increase disappearing straight away into a mortgage repayment increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

This is (slightly) extreme though, I doubt there's many people who bought a property on exactly 5% deposit and 5% HTB. I actually have serious doubts as to how many even manage to buy a property with only 10% deposit given the LTI rules. I'm sure someone has the stats but I'd wager most properties are bought with 20% or more of a deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

I read before that a 2 year fixed was the most popular for a first time buyer. Given the inflation phenomenon only took off at the end of 2021, alot of people who bought in the last few years probably saw no need to fix for very long durations. We will get 0.25% in july, September could be 0.5% and again in November. Looking at 1.25% increase between now and end of the year. This will be noticeable for people coming off fixed periods next year who bought a few years earlier.

Assuming none of them re-fixed this year.

For any that didn't, it will be noticeable but thanks to our LTI rules it will still be affordable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Definitely. These LTI rules are critical.

Btw. Can you refix your morgage in the future for when your current fixed rate ends??? Ie if my fixed mortgage ends in April 23 can i agree today with a lender that they will take over in April 23 at a fixed rate? I thought you would have to wait till your current fixed morgage rate expires to agree on a new fixed morgage rate?

• Advertisement

You can break out of an existing fixed rate and re-fix. You may have to pay a breakage fee, but in many cases this fee is €0.

We fixed in 2019 for 5 years but re-fixed last month for another 5, so we're fixed up until 2027 now. Didn't cost anything.

Advertisement