Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dole 'summer bonus' .. are they for real?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,936 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

It's all over the thread and I'm guessing you have access to Google as well.

Are you not the guy who got pissy at the start of the thread looking for a figurative definition of "plenty"?

Now you're telling me to go Google a classroom you made.

I gave up reading the thread when yourself and your buddy got into a pissing contest regarding salaries with another poster.

My brother in Christ, I'm not going to the bother of dumping a link that's already in the thread and easily accessible on Google.

Sate your own curiosity and wipe your own backside.

I'm long enough on boards to know a poster with a wasp in his underwear demanding links.

• Advertisement

You have your answer, you obviously have some sort of impairment that you can't navigate the thread.

I can't help you with that.

I asked you to back up your claim. You refused to do so. I have noted this, and won't ask you to do such again and therefore will dismiss most of what you say.

There are more long term unemployed in Ireland than there are people living in Limerick and Galway city combined, which considering the staff shortages many places are experiencing is way too high. No one on unemployment benefit that long should be receiving any kind of "bonus" and in fact their payments should be looked at and justified by their local welfare officers. If no reasonable attempt has been made to achieve employment their payments should be lowered to provide incentive.

Oh dear I've done it now, Quazzie has 'noted' me! Do I go in a filing cabinet somewhere?

Get over yourself champ.

I find www.google.com is a good place to start when you're looking for something. But you've already read through the thread so you have the data anyway.

Also, your claim about long term unemployed exceeding Limerick and Galway populations is absolute horsesh*t. We know this because the data has been raked over in the thread. And you know it too.

If you need to discuss this further regarding any personal issues please feel free to PM me, otherwise I'll be attempting to keep the thread on topic from here on.

Lets stay on topic. Your claim on the number of long term unemployed exceeding the populations of Limerick and Galway cities combined is demonstrable horsesh*t, and plucked out of your rear end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

If you read the actual Thread and more to the point its title, there is no topic other than Bile, miss information, outlandish claims, personal slurs and very, very disturbing attitudes.

It's a SW bashing click bait thread and you want to keep that on Topic.

Seriously 😳

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

The thread title is about a proposed bonus payment for people on unemployment benefits.

I stopped reading the thread as I found you and Yurts constant bickering with another user a waste of my time.

So in another attempt to get back on target, more effort should be made to make the number of unemployment recipients lower instead of incetivising them to stay on it longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Juran

Why are politicans always seeking voters support from the people on unemployment benefits ? (And i exclude disability, carers and short term job seekers when i refer to.unemployed). It must be cause the numbers are quiet high, right ? You would think politicans would favour PAYE workers, in particular those who are on low to average wages. Politicans, in particular labour and SF seem to always speak up for unemployed but I never seem to hear them stand up for people who get up everyday and work, keep our country going and get very little breaks from tax, prsi, medical care, dental, mortgage/rental support.

The threads Narrative has nothing to do with SW Bonus and had you actually been following the thread you'd know this. There was no Bickering, just calling out disgraceful comments, which I note your not calling out.

Lets be abundantly clear here. The Bonus, which was not called by those on SW has rarely been mentioned, instead all that has been discussed is

Layabouts

Scroungers

Sucking the system Dry

Medical cards (Nothing to do with SW)

Wasters

SW encompasses many different things, to include illness, working family supports, Disiblities and yet not a Jot of consideration taken for those in very difficult situations, in stead, vile, disgraceful generalisations that anyone on SW is beneath contempt.

Lets not pretend what this Thread is really about.

I love it. Compete tumbleweeds on your claim on the number of long term unemployed because you know you were pulled-up on telling a porkie pie

If you can't get the hard facts in order, why should anyone listen to your brainwaves about the apparent "incentivising" people to stay on the live register longer?

You're content to pull numbers out of thin air and then have the chutzpah to think you should get a hearing on anything else. Which is so short on detail to be meaningless ideological grandstanding.

To be fair and I acknowledge you seperating out disability, carer's etc I don't hear much if any calling out for extra financial support for those on Jobseekers payments. The Thread title uses the awful word "Dole", the actual call for a Bonus was aimed at those on SW and low incomes generally. Obviously no Politician is going to ask for extra support for one cohort depending on SW and not another.

In my humble opinion support is needed across the board, child care, Tax relief, USC removed, back to school costs etc, it's not just those on SW struggling, working people too especially those on low or reduced income.

I don't have the answers but know people are struggling, with working people now utilising Food Banks and juggling Bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

What's so awful about the word Dole?

It's rarely used in the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Juran

When you watch Reeling in the Years ... and see the Q's of people getting on the bus, ferry, planes to other countries to find work. It was heartbreaking, what those people wouldnt give for a job at home in the factory, shops, building sites. I appreciate many wanted to leave anyway to see a bit of the world. The incentive was there, go to London, Boston, Manchester, etc to work to earn money, as SW must have been peanuts I am guessing. When did it change? What was the turning point in Ireland that we lost that incentive to look for work, either at home or abroad.

The fact its not used in media should be enough to answer that question.

Dole appears to have originated from the UK, used in the context of Doling out Money and not meant to be complimentary. Its a favoured term used by those who describe SW recepients as wasters, scroungers, layabouts etc and in the context of this Thread, clearly used to click bait those who enjoy SW bashing generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,653 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

No its not, I can assure you the Australian govenment were funding 42 inch tvs during the pandemic as my mate got one, sent me a photo of it for the laugh and he sent me a link to the Dept of Social Services website where they had a choice of 4 of them to pick from for the $600 tv allowance.

Regarding strictness of cash handouts there compared to here my mate hadnt worked in Australia for 8 years, hadnt paid tax there, hadnt paid superannuation there and yet when he flew home after losing his job in Holland he was able to walk straight into a $700 a week pandemic payment. He eventually left Australia with over $20,000 of pandemic payments in his back pocket and he lived in Sydney throughout that time too which is no cheap city in which to reside. An Irish person could not have done all that because the PUP was dependent on you being actually working here and losing your job.

So your point on Australia being stricter than Ireland when it comes to cash payouts doesnt stand up to scrutiny, they were literally throwing bags of cash at people during the pandemic to stay at home no matter how little they had paid into the system. Here anyone who spends more than two years outside of Ireland will struggle to get any payment at all out of the social welfare on their return home, they will fall foul of the habitual residency clause that is on every social welfare claim form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,715 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Nobody here is your "brother" in any sort of semi-mythological figure.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

We used to have - until the fun police forced it to be closed - a great and very lengthy thread on the life and times of a certain "political candidate" (whose votes were counted in the dozens rather than the hundreds) in the Dundalk area, it was very enlightening on the activities and mindset of those able bodied people who consider earning a living to be beneath them yet endlessly complain about how the taxpayer is not providing them the luxury they desire.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Apparently if you use the phrase "people who get up in the morning" you are some sort of fascist. 🙄

It's Varadkar patter for the self-regarding FG core vote. He ain't winking at people in the retail, food service, hospitality and other lower paid sectors when he says that. Those people know he doesn't really give a sh*t, and Leo knows that too.

More fool to you for adopting it.

The big difference between then and now is that there is now massive work vacancies available in Ireland for those who are willing to work.

Newsflash, we're at statistical full employment, or as good as it at this stage.

Show me a developed economy without a certain level of unemployment and I'll show you Tellytubby land. There is always cyclical and transitory unemployment in a market economy.

Get used to it, it's structural and has very little to do with notions of an imagined army of unemployed on trampolines laughing at you on the M50 in the morning.

The only country I can think of to "abolish" unemployment is the Soviet Union, a country where the joke was the people pretended to work and the government pretended to pay them. A country which had a highly developed ideological aversion to people who shirked the fake busy work that didn't pay to live. You're closer to the thing you despise than you think.

Whilst there are undoubtedly loads of signs up advertising vacancies etc , the vast majority of these are infact part time , limited hours etc and Whilst not a bad thing these vacancies offer very little security, location may not be practical from a transportation point of view , again great to see them but its not black and white and infact in many cases only reduce the amount of JSA and candidate can claim not end it as its more likely they'll still need to claim a P/T Jobseekers payments or SW supports. .

Hospitality is struggling but not infact, filling part time /Seasonal unskilled rolls, its experienced , qualified professional rolls they are struggling to fill , not because of laziness its because this sector decided to let go thousands of experienced staff rather than retain on wage subsidy schemes during pandemic and to be Frank experienced staff had enough of the treatment they received generally in this sector, moved on or left country entirely. The sector cleverly thought , sure will get non EU and EU staff to fill vacancies, they forgot there's nowhere for these magical replacements to live and that aside salaries wouldn't match increasing cost of living expenses. No one in their right mind would come to Ireland to work right now.

Construction have a similar problem,but this time, there's no incentive for Eastern Europeans to come here and nowhere for them to live. Not every unemployed person is either suited or qualified to worked in construction or Hospitality, but I do accept they may be some former Construction workers still on live register.

I guess my point being, yes we hear about all these vacancies, we don't hear what they offer , some rolls highly skilled , some not so much. There's also numerous reporting of applicants applying and not even getting acknowledgement of their application

I just don't believe we can assume that just because there's thousands of vacancies advertised , few are applying and there has to be some objectivity and understanding as to why these jobs are not being filled.

It is a fundamental requirement of claiming JSB/A that the claimant must be seeking work and it is checked by way of regular reviews or through work activation programs.

I'm absolutely not suggesting there's a small cohort that don't try or may be unemployable but again, possibly for reasons not easily understood, wethet they be mental health challenges, lack of integration skills or physical challenges or indeed criminal convictions, troubled past etc . I don't believe there's a country in the world that doesn't have a small cohort of society that will never work, beyond those with Disabilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

We are not quite at full employment.

The UNR is 4.7%. I suggest full employment is a bit lower, although I accept we are very close.

There are 66,000 approx on the Live Register over a year, out of a total of 172,000 on the LR.

Therefore, I suggest there is a problem/challenge of people "stuck" on the LR.

The proportion on the LR long-term is high compared to other countries.

Also, there are 40,000 construction workers on the LR, which is astonishing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Construction is a young man's game. Ask anyone who has worked in it for 25-30 years, their knees, hips and backs take a battering. The mind is willing but the body isn't able in a lot of cases.

Advertisement