Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

He will Out-Yerra Gormdubhgorm if he keeps going.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

Agree. I was there for both. Very disappointing show of fans for the ladies game. Its not as if Dubs have far to go. Btw the whole Croke Park area is a kip. I lived in that area back in the 80s. It was slum then...and its still a slum. Like a zombie movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Well ironically..... there was a Zombie movie filmed in the area not so long ago.

The Cured (2017) - Filming & Production - IMDb

But, living a 15 minute walk away I wouldnt really agree at all. Drumcondra is very nice, Clonliffe Road isnt bad at all. On the other side, NCR is improving a lot and to be honest is probably the most multi-cultural place in the entire country. Portland Row on the other hand is a really strong inner city Dublin community. A stroll around Mountjoy Square is a real pleasure these days, it looks great and there is pretty much every nationality there, Dorset St also very multicultural. A nice contrast to the upmarket hipsterism over on Camden St / Wexford St area which would be the direct counterpoint on the Southside.

"Dorset St also very multicultural" We clearly have different views on what constitutes "an improvement". As I left the game and walked up NCR to the Dorset Street junction I passed the slumlord Edwardian properties opposite the Big Tree now stacked to the gills with Roma. Two of the boys were pissed slumped on the corner and I saw one of the women urinating in the laneway. In the 80s it would have been a smack head in the laneway crapping in his pants. Neither the 80s version nor the current version are good outcomes. I have guests flying in shortly and had planned for them a visit to Croker for a hurling game but wont risk it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Kerry a firm favourites, and rightly so. Gorm is only getting his retaliation in early . 99!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,781 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Very odd outlook on life if that is your excuse for not bringing foreigners/visitors to CP in my opinion.

The impression I get is that you are looking for an excuse not to bring them. It seems like a very tenuous excuse at best based on you seeing a couple of drunks regardless of nationality.

I visited New York as a young fella in 99. Never in America before. I was warned of the dangers of NY especially in the higher number streets. But visiting any country tourists have to show a certain level of care and awareness. As do the locals.

I saw a baseball game in the bronx where there was a big train track bridge built over the road. That eyesore did not stop me going to the game.

I feel your worry is not for your visitors safety, it is more your own worry about being embarrassed. Basically a preconceived snobbery about the area.

Bring your visitors to CP - bring them on the roof tour./ Museum tour or a match.

They will enjoy it. And don’t be so worried about yourself being embarrassed - it is their holiday! Not yours.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I just remembered this legendary article in 2009 where his uncle Paidi was pleading innocence after predicting a Dublin win. But to paraphrase Paidi he was not trying to be a cute hoor, and did not see Kerry’s massacre of Dublin happening!

Darragh was obviously taking notes and listening well.

This was Paidi’s pre match 2009 prediction - ‘Head says Dublin, hope I am wrong’

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭rolling boh

We look in better shape at this stage than last year but that would not be difficult .I would still think the odds are against us we have shipped big enough scores in the last two games .The likes of Kerry will mark a lot better than Kildare or Meath and will certainly give Con attention . If our defence was a lot meaner I would give us a better chance obviously but Kerry look the biggest hurdle I would fancy us against any of the others.

"Basically a preconceived snobbery about the area." I lived in the area for a decade and subsequently in a NYC equivalent for five years. Neither were (or are) theme parks for edginess for outsiders. Its a failure of our society and politics staring at u thru your rose tinted specs. The north inner city has been dumped on for my entire life. Plus ca change. Maybe Nowlan Park will fit the bill for my guests? St Canices is always worth a look too.

How does it prevent you watching a match in CP? I think you are a victim of your own snobbery and worried about being embarrassed. Bring the people to the match/tours. It is terrible thing for your visitors to be missing out just because of your own notions and self consciousness.

In my experience anyone who uses the expression 'plus ca change' in an English sentence definitely has notions IMO. Just get over your notions and go to CP - tours are good hurling matches should be good at this stage. Don't deprive visitors of that because of your own notions or own self consciousness and worry about embarrassment.

It is Dublin as is. You need to take a look at your real reasons for not being willing to bring visitors. It is more about your own self conscious nature - 'Mrs Bucket' type views that have backed yourself in a corner.

It is a you issue, not a Dublin one - fundamentally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,001 ✭✭✭✭JRant

CP would be a great experience for anyone visiting. The mix of people both inside and outside the stadium is great. Plus, it's a part of Dublin tourists never really get to see, which is a shame IMO.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Similar to what the Gooch said about Kerry needing a tough game to test them. Dublin need the same I think. Hard to know exactly where Dublin are at atm. Defence untested yet still shipped a big total v Kildare etc.

To be honest would nearly prefer Dublin to lose instead of having to face Kerry. Jayus the Kerry crowd would really dine out on a win against the Dubs. And I honestly don’t think Dublin have enough to contain them.

Well Kerry will beat us soon enough in a big match so I have braced myself for that when it does happen I will have my media blackout .We need a tough enough draw the next day so I hope we get the best team available .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

"Won't risk it"?

What do you think might happen?

There's literally hundreds of thousands of people go to games and concerts in Croke Park over the course of every Summer. What exactly are they "risking"?

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Fiyatoe

agree with the recency bias, they have a lot to prove still but won arguably the toughest ulster championship possible this year.

they play very defensive, and attack at speed on the counter. However in ulster at the minute we’re all saying “not this crap again”.

I do think now after those three games managers will be craftier I expect, and indeed a Dublin / Kerry / mayo / Tyrone (if meeting Derry again 2nd time round) would adjust to Derry’s game plan.

I don’t agree with Galway. For all the abuse mayo get, Galway are more the team that have never delivered in my opinion. They were coming very well over the last few years and they’ve fallen flat on their face in croke park every single year.

mayo are an unknown quantity as always and thrive coming through the back door, Tyrone are much the same in this regard.

I said after Dublin's poor league that Dublin will absolutely be there come semi final time or AIfinal, you cannot write them off.

however the whole country have fallen into this same old trap again of saying “ah sure it’s between Dublin and Kerry and whoever wins that wins Sam!” Which wasn’t the case last year.

id have it more like - Kerry, Dublin, Tyrone, Mayo, Derry, Donegal, Galway, Monaghan, Armagh, Roscommon, Kildare, Cork

its a complete toss up between Dublin, Tyrone, mayo, Derry, Donegal, I think any of those teams could beat each other on any given day, and in fact a rematch could go the opposite way.

but sure look, Armagh could end Tyrone this weekend and Galway could go further this year than mayo and prove me wrong completely.

the league is often not too far wrong but by the same token Dublin are not a division 2 side lads, I actually thought Kildare went well in division 1 as well.

Wouldnt go along with that - whats the point in being in the competition if you are not going to give yourself a chance. If winning the AI means having the beat Kerry, then have a go at beating Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Eoghan O'Donnell has jumped ship and gone to the big ball. Big loss for Dublin Hurling if this is a permanent move.

That's a massive loss for the team. He's been one of our best players this past couple of seasons.

How good of a baller is he?

What position does he play?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Gael85

O'Donnell probably cover for defence. David Byrne and McDaid picked up bad injuries. Murchan pulled up on Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

His pace and strength are exactly what Dublin need in the full back line. Assuming he's not totally alien to football (never seen him play) he should be a good addition.

Have to say i lament him switching though. Part time i can handle it but if it's a permanent move...

He's a serious operator at full back and the team captain. It would be a death blow to any ambition for the hurlers if this move is permanent.

I've never seen him with the big ball but he was the physical attributes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,864 ✭✭✭billyhead

I think he's only being drafted in to cover for the injuries. He will probably prioritize hurling again next year.

Plays full back for the hurlers. Stylish calm sort of player. No idea what sort of a footballer he is but wouldn’t be the type to panic.

Was aware of that. Have seen him plenty of times playing hurling. Was wondering if he plays the same position in football

Plays full forward for Whitehall according to this https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/gaa/eoghan-odonnell-call-up-reflection-27124291

Makes him out to be an O’Gara type option here.

Jayus if EOD is just going to be a sub Full Forward for the footballers -

It is one of two things: temporary for the craic, or permanent and does not say much for the hurlers.

Wouldnt say its for the craic, but I would think its temporary. Don't have a clue really, but if he is good enough and the hurlers are finished for the summer then why not.

Was talking to a fella asking what kind of a footballer Eoghan O’Donnell is. Said he played in a match v Whitehall in football. And EOG scored a goal in it. EOG Was strong athletic etc in the match.

• Advertisement

Looking forward to the draw do not want the weakest team need a decent test and might find out a bit where we stand in the pecking order .

Advertisement