Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government electricity credit question

• 12-06-2022 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Probably wrong forum but I will ask anyway

So contract ended with Electric Ireland couple months ago. Account was in credit by way of the government support. Almost €200

I moved to Iberdrola, they pulled out of the Irish market. I become free agent and on the move again

Is there a guarantee that the credit will follow my accounts through the providers??

Nothing I can do with Iberdrola pulling out and their system was falling apart when I signed up and couldn't get an account set up with them so don't know

I'm with Energia now so I'll have to wait and see with them

What's been the experience with people moving so far????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭A Law

If your account is in credit you will have to ring Electric Ireland and they will refund it to your bank account when you give them the go ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,090 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

What? They are with Energia for a start and you can't get a refund for the government subsidy.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭holliehobbie

I’m with Bord Gais and was on level pay. My account was over €200 in credit and I got a full refund to my bank account as they already had my bank account details as I pay by dd.

Credit from level pay or purely the government subsidy?

He was with Electric Ireland when the government 200€ was credited to his account. Whoever he was with in April 29th apply the 200€. The credit doesn't doesn't follow him to his new provider. He needs contact Electric Ireland to get his money refunded. Nothing to do with energia.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭holliehobbie

Then they are in breach with the government if they issued a refund for the state intervention payment portion of the credit.

Speedy reply btw!

Have you a link for that cos from what I've read it's alright? I had it refunded for my Mother in Law also. Closed the account, last bill was €80 so got €120 credit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Gooser14

They are not in breach according to the following extract from the above Q&A:

Will I still get the credit if I switch electricity suppliers?

Many are concerned that if they switch their supplier over the coming weeks, they’ll miss out on the credit. Don’t worry though, you will still get the electricity credit if you decide to switch suppliers. 

If you make the switch between 29th March and 30th June 2022, then the supplier you were with on 29th March must provide you with the credit. 

Suppliers can apply the credit to your closing bill, or credit you back through the same method that you pay your bills. 

Keep in mind that if you recently switched to a new supplier, it can take up to four weeks for your switch to be fully complete. If your switch was not fully complete by March 29th, your previous supplier will be responsible for providing you with the credit. 

• Advertisement

Maybe I'm missimg something here but the OP says "So contract ended with Electric Ireland couple months ago. Account was in credit by way of the government support. Almost €200"

Anyway this is Bargain Alerts and this certainly isn't one and the OP hasn't even come back to clarify so I'm done.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Donnie2022

No credit returned to my bank account in the intervening 2 weeks since phone call to them.

Now electric ireland are emailing welcoming me as a new customer even though I'm with energia weeks now.

I went as a contract free from customer from electric ireland to iberdrola.

Iberdrola pulled out of market which put me back to electric ireland again as a free agent.

A week after that energia come to my door and say that I'm a free agent as result of iberdrola pulling and can join who the fcuk I want.

So I sign up to them on their contract which I'm on for weeks now.

Then today I have electric welcoming me as a customer

###### hell is any of their systems talking to one another here at all

I think you will find that the energia door salesman gave you false information. All ex Iberdrola electricity customers were automatically transferred to Electric Ireland & you can not transfer to another supplier for 90 days. You can however sign up to EI for their 12 month discount deal. You have to call EI to avail of this & if you don't you will be on their standard unit price for the 90 days.

You can also get the 30% online.

I’m in this situation. Passed from Iberdrola to EI with no credit from Iberdrola and EI say they don’t have to pay it.

Bshitting bstd. I asked the question 3 or 4 times.

He said no iberdrola were gone and that EI basically had no say. I knew that iberdrola were gone duh

But he kept bypassing the electric ireland concern I had. Kept acting as if the only ayer in the equation was iberdrola. SOAB

So basically I was right and any "contract" I had with iberdrola is gone to EI???

No

Shouldn't be a no at the end of that last comment.

So which of these 2 do I ring first and which is most likely to know their sh1t and actually sew this once and for all???

I'm not ringing around unless I have to

I'd imagine ring electric ireland first right???

Ibedrola are responsible for issuing the credit to you. See the following from the CRU website (cru.ie):

"What will happen to my Government Emergency Credit if I have not already received it?

Iberdrola will issue the €176.22 Government Electricity Credit to all customers who have not yet been credited. This will be included on a customer’s closing bill"

Anyway like magic energia email me to say registration with them on 13th June was unsuccessful and I need to wait 20 days before registration with them again if I wanted to switch to them

So that's effectively energia admitting it was their c0ck up????

And now all bets are with electric ireland??

This will now be my 4th supplier (albeit electric ireland twice) in space of 5 weeks.

And still no credit or refunds.

Obviously the government credit is the chuck if not all of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,310 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You need to deal with EI. The credit won't have moved anywhere.

I rang them 2, nearly 3 weeks ago based on my "closed account" with them.

They said yes account in credit. And it would be paid to bank account I was paying the off with.

Takes the waiting to the maximum here. 20 working days is it???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I moved from EI to Energia last week. I rang EI once I got confirmation from Energia of the switchover, to refund me my credit balance from the Government. Only €18 but it was in my bank account 2 working days later.

121 in credit for me. I'll ring them again. But it was Electric Ireland I rang and it was Electric Ireland that told me my closed account had 121 in credit.

So nobody, not even me could have interfeered with a closed account

Advertisement