Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fancies For Today III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭zimmermania

It won't make me rich but i backed GIVE ME A COPPER at 11/8 in the Hunter Chase at 2.20 Warwick,its a two horse race and i believe GIVE ME A COPPER should be fav.

My selection is rated 3 lbs inferior to the fav but the fav has failed to complete the course 3 times in his last 5 runs and i am not convinced he really gets 3 miles.

GIVE ME A COPPER stays forever and a clear round may be enough.

The 4.48 at Beverly is a tough handicap and it may pay to consider horses who have form at this tricky course.

Top weight MOTARAJEL can finish well off a fast pace and might get that today.

BIT OF A QUIRKE has plenty course form and has dropped to a good mark and has a chance.

ROCKET DANCER won a couple of weeks ago and can be competitive again.

A combination tri-cast and forecast for small stakes might be the answer to the puzzle with 9/1,7/1 and 9/2 available on the 3 horses.

A little ew on any of the 3 might get a return and at 9/1 MOTARAJEL looks a bit of value despite top weight if there is a fast pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I see Cicely is out in a mile and 3f in Windsor this evening 7.40, around 9-1 I believe. Might be worth an ew.

Cicely ran well over a trip I thought might be too far,worth backing when back on the AW.

DARKNESS ran well lto when meeting trouble before running on strongly to finish 7th in a big field.

Is 10s for the 5.45 Epsom but his stablemate Orbaan is a shorter price and showed a bit of form last time with an eyecatching run,however DARKNESS is 3 years younger and has more scope and with Tudhope up should give us a run ew.

OMeara does well with this type of horse and can improve them.

• Advertisement

Mitbaahy has a few pounds to find with a few in the 2.50 at Sandown however the horse seems to be getting better and with Varian in good form is worth a few quid ew at 9 to2.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,320 ✭✭✭CH3OH

• Registered Users Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭crushproof

Very nice, cheers Zimmer

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

• Advertisement

Not on the AW as i hoped but with Tom Marquand up might be worth a little ew over a mile and a half at Salisbury 5.35,only 7 runners which is a pity but i backed it ew all the same.

The Ascot stakes is run over two and a half miles at Ascot on tuesday at 5 oc.

Despite the name the race is a handicap and is always a good betting race over an extreme distance not often seen in the racing calender.

The race was won last year by Reshoun,trained by Tan Williams and owned by Marwin Koukash who loves to have winners at Chester.Reshoun does not seem to like Chester and while he was entered at the recent Chester meeting he was always going to wait for this.

He came to my attention two and a half weeks when he ran in a mile and a half race at Haydock going off at a huge price,held up out the back in that he was never put into the race before running on very well to finish 4th.

It was 3 years since he last ran in a mile and a half race and i made a note to keep an eye on him for a repeat win at Ascot.

I did not back him at 20s ante-post because he still held an entry for Chester,the 20s is gone now but he is available at 14s with PP 6 places and i backed him today at 14s.

Would you reckon there's any point in opposing William haggas horse Baaeed in the queene Anne. I might put an ew on the godolphen horse real world at around 6-1

Probably little point in opposing Baaeed who looks too good,betting without Order of Australia may be value but I am not betting on the race.

Only 2 favs were successful on Ascots opening day last year and one of those was 2/7.

Plenty big priced horses win at the meeting and I am looking for a bit of value.

In the 3.05 I backed Harry Time at 25s PP going 5 places.

Harry Time 3.05 won well at Navan (irelands stiffest track) and could feature in a race that could be won by an improving horse and I am hoping Harry fits the bill.

Reshoun already backed at 14s 6 places and I will back Star Safari ew in the 5.35,has done most of its racing in Meydan and may be good enough to give Buick a winner.

That's it for Ascot today.

Post edited by zimmermania on

The Royal Hunt Cup takes place tomorrow over a mile at Ascot at 5 oc and is something of a cavalry charge with 30 runners chasing the £94,500 pot,well handicapped horses laid out for this was the way to go in the past but is changing nowdays as classier types are aimed at the prize.

Horses aged 4 on the way up seem best and 11 of the last 15 runnings have been won by that age group and significantly 6 of the last 7 were 4 year olds,13 of the 30 runners are 4 year olds and thats where i looked to try to find the winner.

Not a good race for favs the average sp over the last 20 years is around 18/1.Horses drawn twenty or higher have won 5 of the last ten runnings and the other 5 runnings were won by those drawn 11 or lower so horses drawn close to the middle are to be avoided and those drawn either high or low have a better chance.

FANTASTIC FOX is the one i like,drawn in stall 21 he was a staying on third in a good handicap at Epsom 12 days ago finishing well behind Totally Charming and now 5 lbs better off.

At 10 or 11 to 1 Totally Charming is nearly half the price of FANTASTIC FOX so the value for me is quite clear.

Trained by the excellent Roger Varian he represents a good ew bet,6 places everywhere and 7 with PP.

Varian has two other 4 year olds in the race who also have chances but for me FANTASTIC FOX is the bet ew.

A big build up and the horse trails in stone last,the only thing i got right was the age of the winner, 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

Keep posting.

You help find plenty of winners for people on here.

One small setback, sure plenty more winners will overcome that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭jacool

How The Ridler has kept that is, well, a riddle!

Wouldn't like to have been on Brave Nation e.w. as the jockey had to work wonders to stay aboard. Shocking by the stewards, but a nice result for the turf accountants. Sporting Life has him down as "hampered rival" twice, i.e. the 3rd AND 4th!

hardly a 'riddle' 😁 - he didn't interfere with the second, and the rules being the way they are; unless he was outright disqualified, then he wasn't in any real danger of not prevailing in Stewards' Room,, tough for Brave Nation backers - probably 50/50 (we'll never know now tho 😃) he'd have won w/o the interference suffered

• Advertisement

Backed 3 ew today at Ascot Flaming Rib 3.05

Mangoustine 4.20 French horses often underbet in th UK and has form with Cachet and is a bigger price.

5.0c Persist lightly raced and may well improve a lot.

3 we singles and an optimistic ew trixie.

Got a few quid as Paddy was paying 7 places and Persist managed 7th,Flaming Rib 2nd at 14/1 and Mangoustine only 9th.

CAMPANELLE is a very good sprinter who has won at Royal Ascot for the past 2 years,done me a good turn last year when getting the race from the stewards having been pushed wide by the winner in the final furlong.

This is a very competitive race but the ew value at 10 or 11/1 (freely available) and 6 places must be CAMPANELLE and the fact that she can go from the front or come late makes her the days best bet ew,she also stays further than 6 furlongs is a plus on this stiff track.A drop of rain would be a help. Ascot 4.20.

GULLIVER always runs well here in big field handicaps and is worth a little ew at 20s and 25s in places in the 5.oc Ascot where PP and some others go 7 places.

I suggested RESHOUN was worth backing in the Ascot stakes a few days ago and we got the place money at 14s when RESHOUN stayed on well to be placed over two and a half miles.

He runs again tomorrow over even further, two miles 6 furlongs (the longest flat race in the UK or Ireland).

He would be getting weight from quite a few of the runners if this were a handicap and it looks a tall order for him to be competitive in the 6.10.

Because he stays so well and if none the worse for his run a few days ago i believe he is worth a few quid ew at 33s and maybe more, i hope to see him running on when others have had enough and outrunning his odds and rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭crushproof

2 out of 3, covers a few beers tonight. Cheers Zimmer.

My non punter son gave me this today,for the craic I said I have no use for a gift voucher

Son thinking I did not fully understand explained that I would use the 100 to bet with,I laughed and said "sure i never lose". If only

Thanks for your concern Flooper,i do not know what procedures to get paid on winning tickets in Australia but i can assure you i will be able to lodge the gift voucher to my account as long as i am in possession of the physical printed voucher.

I will probably be in my local PP shop in the next few days and i will lodge it to my account.

The Irish derby gets most attention this weekend but the other one,the Pitmens Derby where the local proletariat come out in force in Newcastle to watch one of the richest handicaps in Europe.

Its official title is the Northumberland Plate and despite the fact that its run on the AW for the last 6 years it is still one of the toughest handicaps to unravel and the draw has a part to play despite the race being run over 2 miles.

Like many valuable handicaps this race is now attracting more classy runners and the days of finding one lurking at the bottom of the handicap are long gone.

I have a good look at the race and when i finalise my selection or selections i will post here if anyone is interested.

Hidden Pearl 4.40 Nottingham might be worth a few quid ew today.

Trained by the enigmatic John Berry in Newmarket Hidden Pearl has never won a race but if held up today might get his in front I backed it ew.

• Advertisement

I will be interested to see what the stewards say to the bunch of apprentices who refused to close up on the front runner who won by 26 lengths,i am just happy that Hidden Pearl got 2nd to give me a small profit.

Advertisement