Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The only cars with 60km range is the 2012 fluence and 2011 Leaf.

Both absolutely still working and driving around daily.

Agree.

I do about 12,000km per year.

That includes driving for work around Dublin.

My old 24 kWh Leaf would still be more than enough for me technically speaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Not sure what your question is @Phil.x ?

The most degraded battery EVs are early Nissan Leaf and Renault Fluence Z.E. from around 2011-2012, the worst ones of these you could find in Ireland have about 50-60km winter range, in other words they only have about 55-60% of their original battery left. But check that for yourself before buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Phil.x

My question is exactly what I said.

My next question, what are people's plans for these Ev bargains when the range gets even worse, say like 30 to 40km or less.

Are they worth spending x amount of euros to get an oldish car back to full charge or are they just selling them as scrap which would indicate they are kind of a throw away item.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,163 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Scrap would be an option.

The batteries are still valuable. Even an old Leaf battery would likely have more capacity than a new power wall.

I considered the cost of buying a low miles Leaf and upgrading the battery, then use the old battery for the house.

• Advertisement

You’ll find that they won’t degrade beyond what they have already degraded.

Then there are options to replace the battery on those cars. €6,990 gets you a 30 kWh main battery upgrade with further options for 40 kWh and 62 kWh so the math would have to be done to see if worthwhile.

Then there’s the option to recycle for home storage as even a 50% degraded leaf battery is 12 kWh which would be worth something for solar farms.

I have a 5.2 kWh battery in my house currently so a 12 kWh battery would be deadly if costs allowed.

Even if they would get to just 30-40km range, that would be plenty for a school run / local shopping car or even for many people's commute. I live in Lucan and it's 15km into Dublin city centre. And I'd say there are a few hundred thousand cars in Ireland, still on the road, that do less than that sort of daily range. So maybe the range won't be enough for the current owner. They can sell to a new owner who needs less range

There simply is such a shortage of working second hand EVs that the cars will not be scrapped for a long time to come if they still work, no matter how short the range. And if they do eventually get scrapped, the scrap value is considerable because the batteries are also in huge demand with enthusiasts (using them for campervans, home storage, off grid cabins, EV conversions, etc.), they literally are fighting over these paying (in my view) silly money for them on the likes of eBay

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Great small island car at end of life, will keep going forever with no servicing

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

That's why I bought mine. We both mostly work from home and we rarely need 2 cars at the same time. But when you get an opportunity to buy a second family car that will cost you not a cent in total cost of ownership over a number of years, then you go for it, right? 😁

The Fluence Z.E. is a very pleasant car to own to and comfortable car to drive and the top spec dynamique has nice touches like window blinds. It is probably the slowest EV ever made after the Zoe, but if you don't mind that nor the small range, it's a goodun (provided of course you buy the car with the battery owned)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Bear in mind those cars are generally 11 years old to begin with and have lost about 30% of their battery, by the time they're down to 60% degredation they'll probably be around the 20 year mark

20 years is plenty of lifetime for any car, hard to call something disposable in that case. Hard to find a smartphone or tablet that'll last 20 years without needing new parts

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Can anyone recommend an app to test the SOH on an eNiro? I have a good OBDC reader and can borrow an android tablet.

Is it really relevant? Even an early eNiro still has 5 years left on both general warranty and battery warranty. I wouldn't worry about it.

It would be good to know. And it’s always good to have something to bargain with.

Waste of your time imho. It will probably show up as between 95 and 100%. Probably the latter. Hyundai (sister company of Kia) present it in such a way that there is zero degradation until you hit quite a high mileage, like close to 100k km

You won’t really be able to bargain with it. It’s a third party hack into the system so the car owner could just tell you to sod off.

Well in fairness anything could be used as an argument to bargain with. Real or not 😁

Personally, I prefer to go for the direct approach. Don't discuss any details of the car much, just make a straight offer admitting to the seller that someone else might (or might not) make them a better offer at some point. But my offer is real and right there. Most can't resist. And I get a bargain.

Fair enough. Thanks folks. heading out to look at it now. May take a look at a Soul too, but can’t quite get past the looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭webels

What do people think of this kona 2019.

Its got a new battery, not something that would worry me too much. Kms don't matter too much with the new battery.

Pricy though but I guess there's no cheap EV currently.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hyundai-kona-2019/31379801

• Registered Users Posts: 33,602 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Full battery replaced by Kia? To be honest, thats one of the 1st full battery replacements I've read about. And the car only a 2019 too?

Wonder what happened the battery to necessitate that?

And over 30k for a 2019? Wouldn't class that as a bargain.

Yeah not too many bargains at the minute.

The battery swap was required for 1000s of Konas due to faulty LG cells so shouldn't be an issue with a new battery.

Possibly some room for negotiation with the battery swap?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,602 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Ah right, never heard about that battery swap out. In that case, all good. Still pricey but then again all cars are pricey at present, especially EVs. I think EV sellers are hoping to get a premium due to the price of petrol and diesel these days.

Too expensive. Here's one for €26k

Also from a garage so you'd have some comeback. The one you linked to is from a private sale. You could of course show the seller of the car this ad and offer him €25k for his car.

Might just do that Unkel 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Hyundai Kona 2020 for sale in Cork for €27,000 on DoneDeal

I like the color of this one, do you think its reasonably priced?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭zg3409

Have you test driven a Kona? They are tiny cars, tiny back seats, tiny boot. Typically they don't have that many bells and whistles such as most Irish ones do not have adaptive cruise control, no app, some no electric mirrors.

The location might put me off, having to go all that way to check for scratches.

Compare to the new price (37/38k at the time it was sold new) it's certainly not a bargain, but they rarely go below 30k. There is also a new "facelift" Kona for 2022 and lots of other EVs to pick from. Personally if you could knock a couple of thousand off, these konas are one of the best EVs around capable of full 270+km at full motorway speeds, often 300+/400+km at 100km/h speeds. They give very little trouble but beware the 5 year hundai "everything" warranty runs out in Jan 2024 and the 7 year battery Jan 2026. It's originally a Dublin car so 2 owners, NCT out in 7 months.

Ensure you can live with the size of back seats and boot, and the plasticy interior. Personally a Kia niro on the same internals is just a bit bigger and typically better value for what you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Yeah very decent price from a dealer. We haven't really seen these go below €25k even on private sales. You won't find any other 400km EV for this sort of money...

Thats a PHEV just in case your after full electric

• Advertisement

Negotiation is the easiest money you'll ever earn in your life 😁

Advertisement