Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

I’d love to see this round robin banished to hell and never to return. Call it sour grapes from a Waterford point of view I don’t care it’s bollox of a system.

Seeing Wexford coast to a handy route to an AI quarter final after effectively winning one game in Leinster, (including drawing with Westmeath) considering we hockeyed them in a league semi a few weeks ago is a bitter pill

ive no problem with cork they won the games they had to win and we didn’t, we know Munster is a minefield. But the system is completely imbalanced and flawed

• Registered Users Posts: 38,319 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

True and at least the old qualifier system gave a feel of 'All Ireland competition'

Are we better off getting relegated to the Joe McDonagh and getting into the All Ireland series that way ?. The Leinster teams getting so called easier games to try out the squad while Munster is dog eat dog each round

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

you are both taking shite and sounding like pure sour losers…….there is nothing wrong with the RR set up……get the team set up and prepped properly…..yes it’s difficult pill to swallow seeing Wexford and cork still there and one of them likely to get to an all Ireland semi but Cahill and Co have only themselves to blame……something seriously went wrong after the limerick game and possibly in lead up to Tipp game……losing to cork at home was simply inexcusable and if the rumours about over training/heavy training during the week before the game then you would have to ask serious questions about the management team and if they should continue…looking at all the other teams left and apart from lynch there are very few other top players who picked up injuries yet With waterford we had Barron, de Bourka, prunty all dropping like flies ??

The round robin system inherently favours stronger counties,its ok at min waterford have a handful of good players and can in theory ompete

Chances are,we will finish bottom of the group most years,while the tradional backdoor gave a chance to regroup againest lower quality opposition from leinster,where at present we can look forwarèd to losing each weekend in munster championship

Its a pure farce a team can lose twice and still potentially not be knocked out

Chances are……..you are totally looking ‘glass half full’

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Fully agree, every team in Munster has 4 guaranteed opportunities to get points to qualify so you can't really complain, old qualifier system only guaranteed 2 games. The best of Waterford that we've seen under Cahill would have comfortably dealt with Cork in Walsh Park and qualified for the all Ireland series there and then so management and players need to get to the bottom of why there form left them on May 15, been blunt about the league clare and Limerick both got just a win against Offaly and a draw against each other and look at what they've produced in championship thus far.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Ballpaddy

The dogs in the street know munster is more competive, but to begrudge kerry and wexford there spot in the championship is really petty, the long and short of is waterford needed to beat tipp and Cork at home to qualify for a quarter final and they failed, for a team hoping to win the all ireland that should have been there target all year,

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Dammo

I don’t for a minute begrudge Kerry a run of games in the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭decies

Nobody is begrudging anybody getting to all ireland series Waterford and Tipp got what they deserved am saying I hate early all ireland and teams done by may , yes you played less games but you always had a game in July to look forward. As to the bloke moaning about club players am sure a compromise could be made in schedule .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,870 ✭✭✭deisedude

All well and good saying there should be a compromise when you don't even suggest an alternative.

Personally think it's great that the 99% of GAA players who are club only can plan a wedding, go on stags, go on holidays, book a night away etc without having to worry that a match might be scheduled at short notice

Grand so we keep this having major hurling counties done by may .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Before the qualifiers some teams were done by May after 1 game, now teams have 4 games to secure progress so can't really have any complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Rebelside

Errata

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Rebelside

Clare were missing Shanagher, McCarthy, Rogers Meehan at various stages during the Munster championship. Tipp were missing 4-5 AI medalists too.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

His point was that ours were all soft tissue injuries, with a particularly unusual amount of quad problems. So unlike other counties ours could be linked to our training.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭siyo

Won't happen

care to elaborate what you base your view on…….?

• Advertisement

So this new intercounty calendar was put in place to help the club player and were still seeing this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Good article but I think a good deal of blame needs to be placed on the clubs conceding games. Every now & again there may be a genuine reason to concede, but some are conceding on a regular basis. Lismore for example fielded 2 teams in the league this year, yet their first team conceded 2 if not 3 league games, while the second team played.

The high number of walkovers last weekend could be put down to a number of possible reasons. Teams out of contention not wanting to travel long distances, other teams in groups where walkovers occurred being impacted by these & as a result not needing to play their final game etc.

Punishments definitely need to be introduced for walkovers. I believe these were discussed at the most recent board meeting & are vital.

As for a lack of sponsorship, again I wouldn’t be inclined to put my name to a competition that some clubs continue to treat with such disregard. Until all clubs buy in it will be very difficult to get any decent level of sponsorship for the competition.

I think the introduction of promotion & relegation in the league outside of championship performance is the big positive. There is certainly room for improvement within the structure, but clubs should be taking a long hard look at their own contributions towards this years league.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 OverTheBarPOints

We really missed a big chance this year to make the All Ireland Final , think we would have beaten Wexford and would have been in with a good chance of also beating KIlkenny. If buts & Maybe’s . Good Luck to Clare.

At this stage now I thought we would have a statement from the county board and Liam Cahill ( not counting that TG4 interview ) . I hope this is not playing out as I feared . Kind of Larry David ( curb your enthusiasm comedy )attitude look what do you do ,not sure what happened sure we will carry on as we are attitude and just hope what ever it was was just a blip . I await to be proved wrong and we got some clarification about the championship meltdown am not hopeful to be honest .

Going by social media of some of the players, hurling is far from there minds with a lot of drinking going on. No doubt they deserve it they were training non stop since January. Very doubtful they have thought about next season

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Dara Mac Donnell

Watching the matches yesterday I just felt this Waterford panel should be still in the championship. On form, a match for all of Cork, Galway and Wexford I would think and while Clare are a cut above those surely playing to potential Waterford would be close enough to them too.

so yeah I would like to see an official comment on what happened and why.

my preference now is for Clare to win it out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

I honestly think it was the Limerick game caused all the damage; they played pretty well but even though close at finish, they knew they hadn't really closed the gap and lost believe in each other and management.

Our puckouts were poor all rear, especially the absence of real confidence to go short to keep teams guessing; night and day compared to Limerick.

De Burca has no confidence in his knee and was a shadow of himself, Barron and Bennett were miles off. We are doing nothing without those lads playing well.

Best of luck to Clare, hopefully they can close gap to Limerick if they get past kk

• Registered Users Posts: 4,870 ✭✭✭deisedude

Amazingly your brain is still able to function even if you do have the occasional pint. Silly comment and implies the players don't give a sh1t

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Cake Man

"John Meaney will manage Mount Sion for the fifth year in a row. Ger Cunningham, Darren Ryan and Jim Greene will also be part of the set-up."

That's hardly Ger Cunningham former Cork goalkeeper, no?

At least the club championships will provide something to follow, pity it's another month+ away...

Has anyone any hope of putting it up to BG? Given they'll be going out to equal Erins Own and Mount Sions number of titles it's hard to see them lacking hunger this year (or next year if the chance is there to beat the record). A few clubs there that seem to be regressing, if anything, year on year - DLS being one. Maybe Dungarvan, Abbeyside and Lismore best placed to give BG a game but hard to see anyone beating them.

Advertisement