Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine (Mod Note & Threadbanned Users in OP)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

In tangential goings on, Russia has apparently replaced the McDonald's with ..."Delicious. Full stop". Pretty awful logo, not exactly "food" colours to these eyes.

Wonder if they'll be using the same suppliers McDonald's were using back in the day, or if that's another effect of sanctions. McDonald's may have been importing their beef and potato supply; if not, then I hope the farmers aren't screwed over by a Hobson's Choice

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Mod note: BurgerFace banned for repeated trolling.

Mcgiver warned for backseat moderation.

It is with no small amount of frustration that i have to repeat yet again that if you think someone is trolling. Report, dont respond and certainly dont comment on moderation. BurgerFace and other trolls wont last long if you just leave the moderation to the moderation team.

But every time someone is called a troll on thread, the moral high ground of the person reporting is instantly lost, the thread derailed and the trolling continues.

Of course, I am a cynical person and I note that there is a certain type of poster who only comes onto this thread to call out trolls, thus gaining thanks for themselves and ensuring that the moderators are powerless to do anything about it once we get a chance to see.

So yeah, McGiver, I consider you equally culpable in detrailing the thread and lowering the standards.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

There is an utterly bizarre and perverse attempt by many people to remove agency from all countries globally except the US. US Imperialism is bad, but apparently nothing globally can happen without the US's input. It defies the most basic level of logic.

In short, he is utterly full of ****.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

From the star of this war, there has been the occasional, patronising attitude that Ukraine has been the naive pawn in Empire Games between the Dastardly Russians and "Both Sides are Bad" NATO. It has never been given agency, or the ability to makes its own decisions. Does it want alignment with the EU? Oh it couldn't possibly be a conscious decision - no, they're being manipulated; why would they want to join the world's largest, richest, safest political bloc?. It's sickening, insulting and honestly, kinda stinks of that anglophone adjacent privilege, Western arrogance in itself, that East of the Danube are a bunch of rubes and only a select few can see things.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭McGiver

I've been warned by the mod about this post. So let me elaborate here.

I wouldn't have to post this if you didn't fail at moderating. It's unsustainable.

I do appreciate the rules and all that. But we are at war. A significant part of that war is a hybrid war waged by the Russian disinformators against the whole EU. Ireland included.

We're not in a normal situation. We cannot be weak. This is the reason why Russian regime has had so much influence in the EU, especially the Western part - we are too weak and too nice. They abuse us being too nice, they abuse our freedom of speech. Freedom of speech has a limit (unlike Musk says). Denial of genocide and atrocities is beyond that limit and must be acted upon.

Slava Ukrajini!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭saabsaab

There was some praise for the French Caesar long range artillary. They only have 6 or maybe 12 now but they seemto be superior to the Russian or American systems. Outrange both. I guess they need 10x the amount.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

McGiver banned for backseat moderation. Feel free to open a thread in feedback discussing moderation. If you still dont like the moderartion, dont post in the forum.Its not relevant to the topic of the thread. If you still dont like the moderartion, dont post in the forum.

Just came across this on Twitter.

so I guess we are no longer neutral then? I'm sure there are other hospitals in NATO countries that can treat the injured to soldiers. I have no idea why they were bought over here and they were brought in under an EU scheme which makes no sense because Ukraine is not in the EU and won't be for a very long time.

I suppose Martin and Varadka must really be looking for those cushy EU jobs. They'll do anything to look good for EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,611 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I think there's a distinction between aiding a national war effort, and providing care to those who need it after the fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Utter nonsense. Outlets like the BBC have full editorial independence from the British government and go after members of the government on the regular in the public interest.

Don't even try draw an equivilence between the media situation in a country like Britain / Germany / France and a place like Russia where a journalist doing their job runs the risk of ending up at the bottom of the Moskva River or poisoned.

Answer is that they were being treated in Poland, and due to the strain on their health services by your buddy Putin's invasion of Ukraine, they were transferred here under the agreement listed in the article, as other EU countries have also taken patients.

Also we as a country have treated other wounded combatants in the past while being neutral.

Martin made it clear he would like us to join NATO. As far as I see it, this move is another chip away at our military neutrality. These injured soldiers would be much better cared for by being sent to the UK. I'm sure there are still some army doctors and medics experienced in treating injuries from soldiers in Afghanistan. Plus the UK isn't a neutral country and it's already an enemy of Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,529 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The Taoiseach has never said he would like Ireland to join NATO. From what I understand, he was asked a hypothetical question about what would be the mechanics 'if' Ireland was to join and if a referendum would be needed.

UK not in EU anymore so probably they dont have the resposibility

Don't have the patience to listen to any of that. Stopped listening when he started saying the war will create a Russian-Chinese-Indian super alliance supported by 'other countries in Asia' (suitably foggy).

The man has jumped the shark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

We all know at heart it's about oil and gas.

Do we not?

In physics we trust....... (as insanely difficult to decipher as it may be)

At heart its about Putin trying to rebuild Russias former glory or at least stop the rot. But yes, oil and gas is an important part of that picture.

Even looking at how the pipelines travel through Ukraine and Belarus, or how Kazakhstan and Caspian states' oil has to transit to the EU via Russia shows the interconnection.

As to the claimed Crimean reserves - I think this is something of a red herring and dont think Russia intends to exploit this. Maybe, the intention is to prevent Ukraine exploiting it, possibly via US/EU firms, but I dont think it is as simple as this being a war about oil and gas.

Worth a watch.

Very convincing contention that it's all about control of energy.

• Advertisement

Amidst this, economists across the board are predicting the global energy and food crises the Ukraine invasion is causing, is bringing us right up to the precipice of a subsequent global economic crises.

As in, "stock pile your food, the currency is going all the way south".

I like the expression,

"Kleptocracy".

Bullying and scam-artistry.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Christ, the entire EU is taking part in this. Treating foreign soldiers means we aren't neutral? We were never a neutral country.Militarily we are a joke but politically never neutral.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

This is not the first time Russia have Invaded Ukraine and put up statues of Lenin and red flags.

By some distance it is the least murderous foray.

Chomsky was always a Tankie, Tankies are by definition hard left. It's who the term was creates for.

He never had much of a problem with the real savagery of Lenin/Trotsky in the 20s and Stalin's savagery in 30 and 40.

By no means was Khrushchev a nice man there.

Putin is still in the hapenny place, a wannabe Communist dictator but without the savagery necessary.

He certainly is trying.

Chomsky was always a bad egg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭saabsaab

From the latest maps of the frontline it looks like the Russians are some way to closing an encirclement of Ukraining forces around Servodonesk. They may need to pull out of there soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

The cracks are showing. This thread alone, hasn't had a post in about 36 hours.

Russian ships are delivering to Ireland.

US Open is allowing Russian and Belarussian players to play in the tennis. I know French open allowed it but France are less harsh on Russia than the US anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭moon2

"The EU sanction prohibiting Russian-flagged vessels accessing EU ports has an explicit derogation, or exemption, to allow for the import of agricultural and food products.

These exemptions are included to ensure security of supply of food and other essential products on the European market"

Looks to me like the deliveries you mentioned have correctly abided by the rules around import restrictions. What precisely is the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,529 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It should be stressed that Russian and Belarussian tennis players do not represent their country when they appear in Grand Slam events and are merely representing themselves (no more than Rory McIlroy not representing Ireland or NI when he competes in PGA events).

The same players will be strictly prohibited from competing in the Davis Cup or events connected to the Olympic Games i.e. anything involving the use of the Russian flag or anthem is verboten.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

They only arrived now. Feedstocks would have come in all the time in normal times.

They're banned from Wimbledon.

Also comments from Macron today saying Ukraine will eventually have to go into negotiations with Russia.

'The Ukrainian President and his officials will have to negotiate with Russia,' he said today.

Still waiting for Russias army to collapse btw. We were told months ago they were on the verge of defeat, morale is on a low and soldiers are downing weapons and running away. So all the weapons Ukraine has, clearly isn't enough since they said they need more or else they'll be pushed back.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

These tennis players, like the golf players, do not play for their country - they play for cash and only for cash.

The golfists who play for the LIV events play for loads and loads of cash.

Advertisement