Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

I'm playing no victim, but I'm not scared about being branded a racist for saying something that is very true. One way to solve alot of the problems in the country is to deport all the illegals who are making false claims of asylum and close the door to all the economic migrants and also houses and welfare should be given to non nationals on a time scale so if you don't find work in a certain time and you can't house yourself after a certain time cheerio back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I saw a picture recently of a line of people waiting to view a house for rent in Dublin. I'm not joking, at least 70% of them were non nationals, which really highlights in clear terms how the housing issue has become such a problem. Of course some will blame the state for not building more houses, but with the numbers arriving daily, I don't think that it's even possible to build enough houses to even put a dent in the demand.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

That isn’t solving any problems. It just means you’ll find another group of people to blame for the problems which still exist.

Of course you’re playing the victim in trying to suggest that it’s because of foreigners that Irish people are experiencing the issues they do, when in reality it is because of Irish people, that Irish people are experiencing the issues they do. That’s why your narrative just doesn’t work.

Post edited by One eyed Jack on

First of all go and try and think to yourself why alot of these problems exist.

I will try and make it so you maybe understand go and try and put 25 litres of oil in a 20 litre drum. What happens.

Come back to me if you can't figure it out.

The 70% figure doesn’t mean much if the amount of people is just ‘a line’ of people - if there were 10 people queuing I still don’t know how you’d be able to determine their legal status, but I’m guessing you mean a lot more than 10 people anyway seeing as you were looking at a picture which was no doubt taken with the aim of highlighting the facts that properties for rent are in high demand in the capital city which is home to a quarter of the population of Ireland, one of the most expensive cities in the world, and people tend to want to be around their own people.

There isn’t just a need to build more houses, that’s not going to do anything to address the fact that there are plenty of existing properties owned by local councils who don’t want to spend the money they are allocated every year out of public funds to provide for housing and accommodation, and councils have been taken to task over the fact that they’re not spending their allocated housing budget, but that’s, y’know, been going on a long time -

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/councils-failing-to-spend-millions-allocated-for-social-housing-units-25985271.html

https://www.thejournal.ie/tough-start-pt-5b-traveller-housing-funding-5580319-Oct2021/

https://www.housing.eolasmagazine.ie/irish-local-authority-housing-inadequate-says-council-of-europe/

So much for “looking after our own”, eh? It’s not that Government and local authorities can’t provide housing, it’s that they won’t, because that would tear the arse out of the property market which Government are reluctant to do because they ARE looking after their own… just, not you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭jmreire

The only thing wrong with spoilt votes, is that there is not enough of them.....if the 25 or 30% of voters who can't be bother to vote, , registered a spoilt vote instead , you are telling me that would not make difference??? Just let the politicians wriggle out of that, it would be effectively a protest vote against the existing political party's, and the system.

I know exactly why they exist - it’s because some people want to pretend that we only have a 20 litre drum and there’s potentially 200,000 litres of oil coming across the water that won’t mix!

Or… something like that.

It’s a piss poor analogy of our economy.

Not a single bit of difference. The only thing that you can infer from a spoiled vote is that it is a spoiled vote, nothing more.

Now, if instead your 25% instead put their votes into a single party (take your pick) then you can make very definitive statements as regards the sentiments of the electorate based on where those votes end up.

It's the same with the numbers who choose not to exercise their votes, you can infer exactly nothing until they use their vote.

But when they can't find a party that they would like to support, as is the case here in Ireland presently, what then? And that's one reason why a lot of people here can't be bothered to vote. Its an international embarrassment for any Govt that cannot provide enough motivation to get people out to vote in an election. Its a damming indication of a lack of confidence in the existing political party's, and their policy's. So yes, a spoiled vote does have value... but only when it 's spoiled.

Your saying that the problems in this country we have now is because of what we think is coming. Jesus.

Listen I don't know how I can make it simple enough for you

Alot of the problems we have now is because what we have here. If we don't stop more coming it only gets far worse.

Think about it for a while.

• Advertisement

Ok the reference to the warning by the Swedish MEP went over your head. My fault, I should have been more explicit in pointing out his scaremongering nonsense:

Your idea is that we need to address what you see as problems which everyone should be concerned about. Your way to address these problems suggests that we divide people along lines which suit you - anyone outside of ‘our’ inner circle, can feck off for themselves, not ‘our’ responsibility.

Problem with your proposal is that people who aren’t you have different ideas for the future of Irish society, and they aren’t likely to be convinced by your attempting to convince anyone that we all only have finite resources and we can’t just be sharing them with anyone, yet at the same time expecting that anyone should share their resources with you and yours, based upon the idea that we’re Irish, they’re not, and so nobody should want to share resources with them.

You can probably see why that doesn’t work.

As I said, a spoiled vote tells you the vote was spoiled, nothing more.

If you feel there is no political party that meets your particular requirements you, and anyone else, has the option to form such a party. It's literally how parties come about.

Or spoil your vote and no one will be any the wiser as to why you did, entirely your decision. As seen from the 2019 election, spoiled votes are nothing more than a footnote.

Over my head. Really. You haven't addressed one thing that I am against. You seem to have no mind or insight of your own. You seem to need a link or article or graph of some kind to make your mind up for you.

Just answer one question yes or no.

Should we letting people into the country at the moment who come here in need of benefits, and housing and have no skills.

And I'm not talking about Ukrainians ad they are here through no fault of their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭enricoh

Disgusting case of modern day slavery in Belfast recently, it didn't get much attention from media down here for some strange reason. I thought they'd be lapping it up!

Belfast Telegraph: Couple who kept vulnerable Nigerian woman as domestic slave in east Belfast to be sentenced next month.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/couple-who-kept-vulnerable-nigerian-woman-as-domestic-slave-in-east-belfast-to-be-sentenced-next-month-41741097.html

Yes, yes we should be letting people into the country at the moment who come here in need of benefits, housing, healthcare, education and anything else they need, who have no skills and no means of fending for themselves, because that’s the only way they will develop the skills to fend for themselves, because that’s how immigrants are integrated properly into Irish society.

They’re not integrated into Irish society by allowing them to come in while we have a labour shortage, seven or eight of them holed up in a grotty bedsit and no interaction with the outside world, keeping themselves to themselves, being exploited for their labour, being shunned out of civilised society, and then told to piss off back home to their own countries when they’re finally discovered as being here illegally.

It’s not that I don’t have a mind of my own, it’s just that we’re obviously not thinking along the same neatly delineated lines at all, and even now when you mention that you specifically aren’t talking about Ukrainians - you’re not, but plenty of people are, and that’s what I meant earlier when I said people will just find another group to blame for the ongoing issues that will continue to be ongoing issues in Irish society.

There is nothing that prohibits all of us as a society from addressing these issues and including everyone in the solution, rather than excluding people and making sure that they are never in a position to contribute positively to Irish society. That’s the system we have in place already, and the difficulties currently being experienced by your neighbours today weren’t caused by immigrants yesterday, they are caused by Irish people going back decades, and they won’t be fixed by pretending we can just close our borders to people who come here looking for help. That’s an incredibly naïve proposition from someone who is telling me I need to wake up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

Good to know your primary reason for supporting migration is they will become footballers and score goals for Ireland .

Kind of a smart answer " form your own party", if it were that easy, there would be 100's of party's around. Yeah.....but that does not change the situation that there are many thousands of Irish people who feel that there is no political party presently that truly represents them. And at some point in time, that perception will manifest itself, one way or another.

No wonder the country is fcuked. Great addition to the labour force my arse.

But hey perhaps you are or have availed of the array of free handouts. So maybe you're agenda is for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

You forget the large numbers coming now are unskilled and many don't speak English . They will add to the waiting lists for medical care .

The HSE is now flying in wounded Ukrainian soldiers from the war .

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40893779.html

I don’t agree that the country is anything close to being fcuked, but then that’s a matter of perspective really, hardly much point in trying to argue whether it is or it isn’t when our perspectives are so far apart that I really have to wonder just whom you were actually referring to when you said the Government should be taking care of ‘our’ own, if it wasn’t just referring to yourself and the people you care about.

It didn’t take you long to turn on one of ‘your own’, unless you don’t consider me one of ‘our’ own any longer that would be perfectly entitled to avail of the array of free handouts as if they’re coming directly out of your pocket and not from the State. It’s not the least bit surprising that like I said - if it weren’t illegal immigrants with no skills, you’d simply find someone else to blame for what you see as the country being fcuked, and it wouldn’t take you long.

• Advertisement

Well, it needs to manifest in a smarter way than ballot spoiling, which won’t change a thing

Very close if the clowns in the government still think the doubling of our population on this island is going to work, and very very close if people like you agree with them.

I’m not forgetting the large numbers coming now who are unskilled and don’t speak English. I’m well aware of them.

Your links a bit random but what do you think of it yourself? I’m with Cathal Berry on this one, Mattie McGrath can go shyte tbh 😒

The transfers were coordinated by the European Union with the Health Service Executive and the National Ambulance Service, under the auspices of the European Disaster Relief Project. 

“While we have to act in a humanitarian way, this is clearly taking sides in the war,” said Independent TD Mattie McGrath, who accused the government of “pushing and pushing and pushing” at Ireland’s neutrality.

“This is a step too far.” 

However, Independent TD and former soldier Cathal Berry welcomed the move.

“Thousands of Irish citizens travel abroad for medical treatment every year under the EU Cross Border Directive," he said.

"Also, dozens of Irish doctors have trained in medical schools in Ukraine in recent years and are now working in the HSE. 

"Our Air Corps are already flying premature and critically ill Ukrainian babies to Ireland where we have some spare neo-natal intensive care capacity. 

"It’s only right and proper that we look after wounded people - whether soldier or civilian - from Putin’s unprovoked, brutal and completely unnecessary war in Ukraine.”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

The labour force in the Coonbe?..is quite the force I see that Swedish man referencing the mass exodus to europe. how does our leader in response plan on recruiting these talents; as he puts it for the company of Ireland without the aid of an identity let alone a CV. The bar is raised? God knows, there’s some fantastic limbo dancers amongst them I’m certain but that is taking the proverbial. Our leader in response to a mass invasion turns it into a power of attraction piece fantasising of recruiting these swindlers before they’re even set foot in the island. Like the spineless gombeen corporate drone; he’s a pathetic shill altogether.

I guess that’s the ‘our people’ rhetoric well and truly gone out the window then 😬

Well if those folks don't feel represented and don't want to represent themselves there's always the comments section of journal.ie

Pay and conditions for healthcare staff in Ireland results in huge numbers of them emigrating. More than half went to just Australia In 2018.

2018:

The number of visa applications granted by Australia to Irish doctors rose to 391 last year

RCSI Graduate School of Healthcare Management, told The Journal that around 725 doctors graduate each year

Instead of increasing the numbers being trained (internships lacking) and improving pay and conditions we backfill with 3rd world labour and enable the rot to continue.

"Africa contributes the highest number of doctors with 28% and Pakistan supplies more than 20% of Ireland’s foreign-trained doctors."

Its a microcosm for Ireland as a whole. If you think this approach will lead to sunshine and lollipops you are a danger to yourself and others.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Liberty_Bear

How many of those criticising the multicultural aspect of us are not cheering on the Boys in Green? Ya gotta be consistent in your anti immigration stance those of you who think like that..

• Advertisement

Ireland produces more medical graduates than any other country relative to its population, but relies more heavily on foreign-trained doctors than almost anywhere else, a new report shows.

Ireland produces 24.9 medical graduates per 100,000 population, well above the next country, Denmark, and almost twice the international average of 13.1, according to the 2018 Health at a Glance report from the OECD.

However, Ireland’s share of foreign-trained doctors is the third highest among western countries, at 42.3 per cent

This is not a good thing to cheerlead. It ignores the causes and allows the system to rot and removes any incentive to improve. We may train more than everywhere else but the sheer lack of internships after means they leave (among other reasons).

"The high turnover of such doctors confirms earlier research which shows that international recruitment is not an effective strategy; and many of those recruited are leaving Ireland for the same reasons that Irish doctors leave"

I want anyone who moves to Ireland to have a good enough life to want to stay. I also do not want Irish quality of life to drop. This means any incumbent migrants benefit too. Much migration can be mutually beneficial. But sheer numbers are detrimental no matter how highly skilled the migrants are. It just ensures an over supply of labour or in the case of Doctors and Nurses (skilled professions) it prevents conditions from ever improving. So beware those claiming the solution is an Australian style skilled system only.

To hell with a race to the bottom.

• Over half of Ireland’s junior hospital doctors (NCHDs) are non-Irish

only one in five migrant nurses intended to remain in Ireland in the long-term

38% of nurses newly registered in Ireland came from outside the EU

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Advertisement