Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Is that what happened? I didn't see the game.

If they got outmuscled I'm sure it was just an off day, and it won't be their achilles heel for the next 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Itxa

I've watched the La Rochelle and Bulls games twice now.

I have a feeling you’ve watched them a lot more than twice. Just an inkling.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I think Leinsters interest in Andrew Goodman replacing Contepomi was mentioned elsewhere in this thread. Here's a link to the article mooting it.

I've no idea if it's a good move or not as I haven't watched enough Super Rugby to say what the Crusaders attack is like. If he can help our backs with decision making under pressure I'm all for it.

Interesting. Looks like a good bit of business. Any idea who is behind the move? I understand the potential lack of reply due to my quip above. Genuinely interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I think the Leinster fans can take comfort in the fact that they would've lost to stormers in the final anyway......

Good to get their beating out of the way early....like ripping off a bandage.....

mod: carded.

Post edited by awec on

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement

Can I just credit the Stormers for the response they had to going a man down in the last 15. They really took the game to Ulster despite being down a man and that requires massive belief and the intensity they ramped up in the game was something I haven’t seen in a long time in any type of rugby. Would Leinster have beaten them? I believe the Bulls were a better side on Friday than the Stormers have shown all season so I believe we probably would have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I wouldn't say the post-mortem on these losses will be too despairing. More annoyance at the key errors that gifted points to opposition in games that you ultimately lost by a combined 4 points. The La Rochelle game has been discussed to death, and I'm firmly of the opinion that Leinster win that contest 6 or 7 times out of 10.

However Bulls was a different game for me. I am less sure whether Leinster lost it, or whether Bulls won it. You have to give credit to a team who defended as well as they did, who were that clinical with their trips into the opposition 22, and who did such a good job disrupting opposition lineout ball.

But you also have to be livid at Leinster's stupid mistakes at crucial times. Doris knocking on, and then conceding the penalty in the first half (10 points to Bulls from the ensuing drives). The knock on/offside at the end to give them a two score lead. A number of other incidents had less immediate consequence, but sapped momentum.

More respect maybe needed for the Saffers next year in the knock-out games. Telling that Leinster kicked their points in Marseille, but went for the corner with at least two gimmies in the RDS. I agree with you that you weren't battered, and gave near as well as they got.

Long run, Irish provinces need to be wise to a new required intensity to capture the URC. They should now know that the task will require Heineken-level intensity and precision, for two, possibly three weeks beyond the European final. No excuses from next year onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I don't know boys! I think Doris is a weakness, too many errors! People bitchin about Conan and yet Doris has hands like cement. Leinster were poor, again! The coaches can't make the plays! It's on the lads to make them.

I wouldn't think that we are in a bad way. There's no sense in moaning about poor efforts. I expect that Leo will get it together and start again. In saying that, a lad like Doris who really bolloxed up the play needs to work on his skills. It won't be long until Soroka is breathing down his neck.

JOB was very poor! As was Gibson Park! Leinster were not with it and they looked like they just met up in the parking lot.

Very disappointing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Leinster have dropped down to 3rd seed for next year’s European Cup, so into tier 2, which would probably be a much tougher draw.

Post edited by Jump_In_Jack on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Feel gutted, but the best team won on the day. Far too many mistakes by Leinster but it was a weird season anyway and the back-to-back was fatiguing for the players and the fans. Next season will be better!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

Doris' hands are certainly a weakness. He was something like joint third for turnovers conceded in the 6 Nations. He's a good player who brings an awful lot of physicality but it's a glaring issue at this stage.

It really is strange! Physically he's great! But, his handling is dire!

Am I correct in thinking that McBryde is not up to scratch? Recent matches have shown fatigue and sloppiness amongst the forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

The scrum is especially worrisome. We've spent so long blowing smoke up our front row's arses (Ireland and Leinster) that we've become very reluctant to criticise them. Don't get me wrong Leinster's front rows are very good players but they are not as dominant as has been made out. McBryde is responsible for some of those issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

After VDF, Doris was Leinsters best player this season. I think his handling errors, whilst unfortunate, are being blown up well out of proportion. His positive contributions around the pitch far outweigh the negatives.

As for what Leinster can do differently next season, I think the best thing Cullen can do is put even more faith in his squad. Which isn't to say that he hasn't trusted them. No side in the league has given as many opportunities to academy players or developed them as well. Joe McCarthy has come from nowhere and after 11 caps now seems to be knocking on the door for automatic selection.

I also think Alex Soroka could be a big deal for Leinster. He's a massive fella, and on the back of an impressive South African tour, should hopefully get more opportunities next season. He has the physicality to impose himself on the biggest packs, but also the technique at the ruck and in the lineout to be a menace. If you're looking for someone with extra physicality, he could be the right player to try out.

I think Molony has been the best player for Leinster. Doris is a good player! He's not as good as people think!

I think Doris is every bit as good as people think. I also think his handling has been highly consequential for Leinster given the sanction that comes with a knock on.

If our scrum set piece was solid it would be less of an issue, but it hasn't been and Doris consistently spilling ball has cost us a lot of momentum shifts.

We use him a lot at 2nd and 3rd receiver and he's carrying into heavy traffic but he has to do better at protecting the ball. Hopefully Sean O'brien can add some value here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I think there is some justifiable criticism of the coaching re: Porter and the technical side of his scrummaging. Yes it's his first season, but the continued failure to improve his technique speaks to a breakdown at some level. With how hyper analysied everything is, I don't see how such a critical aspect can be allowed to continue to fail at that level.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

@StevenToast you've tried this a few times since Friday. Threadbanned for 2 weeks. No posts in here before 27 June, or you'll be banned entirely.

• Advertisement

The jury is still out on Porter and there's no other way but to think that the switch has not worked out, so far. In my opinion, he's been poor, to the point that he's a liability. I think he'll get there. His weight is an issue? I think he's too light. His technique is awful too. Porter needs a lot of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

The last two games he has been completely dominant. At what point will he get past your preconfirmed idea that he is a liability? He has struggled at times this season. So has Healy, who would never have been considered a poor scrummager. He’s switching back after 4 years at tighthead and for the most part has done ok. It seems like if he’s not getting reeemed, it’s the refs fault because he’s such a poor scrummager in your mind.

There can’t be a worse race in the world than the Irish for running down their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,026 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Whilst I don't think it's necessarily time to hit the red button or hysterically panic, it can't be ignored that we're now trophyless in Europe for four years. Four years where we've been in or around the favorites for the competition. And at the first sniff of the South African teams turning up in the URC, we collapse in the semi final.

It's all well and good identifying players coming through who have performed well and saying that there were fine margins here and there but being consistently "almost there" or "learning lessons" is not a good place to be.

I'm slightly worried that this is becoming the trend rather than the exception that we're not winning the biggest games where it really matters particularly where players are arguably already at their peak.

I'm still trying to decide myself it's mentality, ability or somewhere in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭clsmooth

I think this is being blown out of proportion. Scrum hasn’t been great this year but wouldn’t be pinning that on one player. Healy developed into a solid scrummager over his career and he hasn’t solved the issues when he’s come on. I suspect it’s a collective issue. Sheehan was getting the blame in the 6 nations against England as he was ‘too tall for a hooker’..

I think he brings good intensity to the team and gets stuck in but can be found wanting against slightly bigger packs. The question is do we have anyone better at the moment and the answer is no.

The idea that McCarty is already first choice or close to it is jumping the gun a bit. He’s good but I wouldn’t say he’s far and away ahead of the incumbent Moloney. Moloney has his limitations size being one but is very good at set piece. I have yet to see that from McCarthy and if anything Friday told us he is not up to the standard at lineout time.

For me Soroka is ahead of him in everything but the coaches minds for the reason that he’s better at set piece ie the lineout and brings more physicality to the game. McCarthy while a good athlete and footballer could learn a few things which Leinster need from Soroka. Namely, physicality.

It's not running him down to point out that he's had the same technique issues since he switched back. His bind is too short, often slipping off, and he dips his outside shoulder down and in. That's apparent to me, no scrum practitioner. He's putting himself under pressure before the ball even comes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

It's coaching, lad. It's always coaching. Rugby is a team sport, and the biggest influence on a team's playing philosophy and cohesiveness and effectiveness is coaching. Look at South Africa since Erasmus took over versus the state they were in before that.

We're seeing the same thing at Leinster under Lancaster that we saw with England under him - consistently just missing out on trophies if the competition is above league level.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭VayNiice

How are they consistently missing out on trophies? They've won the previous 4 Pro 14s in a row.

You're seriously underestimating how hard it is to win a European Cup. They've made it to the final in two of the last 4. Before 2021, it was 10 years since toulouse had made it to the final. 2020 was Exeters first and only time in the final and they weren't in with a sniff this year. Racing have never won it.

Leinster were winning for 78 minutes against La rochelle this year and lost it in the last play of the match. La Rochelle were committing huge numbers of penalties all through the match from trying to disrupt leinsters game plan, which they should have punished them for and they should have won the game, but that was down to the players on the pitch.

Pinning it on Lancaster is a lame excuse and unfair on the man when you look at how good leinster were all season. You can't win them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

They're consistently missing out when they're not a big fish in a small pond - like they were in the league up to this year. Who was going to beat them to the league title before this season? Glasgow? Edinburgh? Scarlets? Munster? Ulster? Edinburgh and Munster haven't had the attacking edge, and Leinster can just bully those other sides. The pick-and-go game the Bulls managed to repel early on worked in the final against Glasgow in 2019.

Sure there'll be great days in the Euro knockouts, like Toulouse this year or Exeter last year, but there's enough of a body of evidence now to know that they probably won't deliver enough across all the knock-out games to actually win the Heineken Cup. We probably shouldn't expect them to do it - even when they're big favourites, like they were against La Rochelle. Look at the pattern of Lancaster's teams coming up short. The exception is obviously Bilbao 2018 when they squeaked home. But that's one trophy in eleven major tournaments (6 HC, 4 6N, 1 RWC) he's coached. And it's not as if he was coaching Italy or, say, Connacht. His side were amongst the favourites for most of those competitions.

And, yes. Of course it's a difficult competition to win. Racing and previously Clermont being there or thereabouts consistently but failing to get over the line shows that. I'm not so sure Toulouse and Exeter are the same as Leinster. They were in the wilderness for a long time, not consistently coming up short despite being one of the best teams.

• Advertisement

Teams lose one off games, that doesn't mean there's a fundamental issue in the organization. Look at NZ for years, easily the best team going, but lost games they should've won in knock out situations. It happens. All you can do is reload and go again.

Advertisement