Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I'm a munster fan. I think conan should start. He's a better player than Coombes, he isn't playing at the same level as last year but he's still playing better, and he's in possession of the Jersey.

However, if Coombes gets a good run of games then I expect him to overtake Conan in the next year. Unless conan gets back to last year's level.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Conan hasn't hit the heights of last year, but he's not playing poorly. He makes very few errors and his numbers in terms of carries, metres and tackles are solid.

But there isn't really anyone seriously putting their hand up to take the shirt from him. That's not to say Coombes shouldn't get a chance. I like Coombes and wouldn't mind seeing him start a test, but he isn't bashing Farrell's door down saying "pick me", like James Hume is for the 13 shirt for example. My thoughts on Doris are known, so I don't see the need to get into that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Personally, I’d like to see Doris at 8 and Coombes at 6 in one Test.

I think Coombes could bring something different in terms of physicality and he’s got an amazing offload as well that would fit into Ireland’s style.

Theres a case for Beirne at 6 too, of course, but he’s still on the return from injury iirc?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

That was a right ding dong in Cape Town and I think Burns can hold his head up. Might be worth looking a lot closer at him as our #2 tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Roxxers

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

And with Carty out injured and Ross Byrne’s performances the last few weeks, I’d say there’s a very good chance he’ll be on the plane.

Given Carbery’s form of late too, there’s an argument Burns should be ahead of him also, but Carbery’s (lack of) provincial form over the last 18 months hasn’t stopped Farrell picking him as #2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Zoolander will go as number 2, Frawley will probably go as a centre also covering stand-off, and then there'll probably be one other. Who will it be? Farrell has picked Burns and Harry Byrne in squads before, so maybe they have a slight headstart on Healy and Crowley. I doubt he'll pick Ross Byrne.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Good old personal opinions which bear no resemblance to reality are a better way to debate things then?

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Itxa

No doubt there’s a push on to get McCarthy on the plane.  Personally I can see his potential for the future but see him being a bit too raw for a trip to NZ.

I would like to see Beirne, Hendy and Ryan although the latter has to up his game substantially. Moloney has proven he can be good for Leinster but makes too many knock ons. Provided there’s a good scrum half I don’t see that pattern repeating itself.

There’s Baird who hasn’t really been given the chance in Leinster and I think he’s worth a shot. Either him or Kleyn who provides bulk although I know he has his critics.

Personally I see Soroka as a outsider who could make his mark if given the chance. His lineout work against the Sharks was exemplary. But he seems to have been pigeon holed as a 6 for the time being despite having played all his underage at lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Yup, Carbery still has the higher upside and better goal-kicking, but today's performance by Burns has them pretty neck-and-neck for me now. Best performance in a good while that I've seen from an Irish out-half in a high pressure game who wasn't getting an easy ride from the big men. Well, an Irish out-half not named Jonathan Sexton, of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I'm coming around to that one too to be honest.

On the subject of Ryan, I have to say I don't really notice him in games - outside the lineout, that is. Is he playing well? I honestly don't know. He does put up big numbers if you look at the stats. But, for me, Josh Murphy has bee a more effective second row for Leinster this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Ryan has been really good since he came back. Yesterday was his worst game since his return! He's playing well. I didn't notice nobody except Doris! He's the one lad who stood out, for the wrong reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭mun1

Coombes is a better player than Conan .

there , I’ve said it so It’s now a recognised fact.

And anything anyone says to the contrary is only an attempt to get their player called a better player than Coombes.

being serious for a minute, Ireland are going to take a hell of a bashing from NZ over the series of matches. Hopefully can win one of the tests though.

hopefully all the players get a bit of rest, and get rid of the niggles before ramping it for the tour

• Subscribers Posts: 41,595 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

NZ are 'not all that' currently.

Nor are they a team that plays with huge physicality a la South Africa.

They are a bit of a raggle group of great players playing an off the cuff type of game thats based on individual brilliance rather than a prescribed gameplan. Foster is under a lot of pressure as he has underperformed so far in his reign by previous coaching standards.

There is the continuing question as to who their best 10 is. Is it Mounga, who is consistently very good for the crusaders but hasnt exactly blown the lights out in a black jersey? Does beauden barrett start from 15 where hes not even the best full back in his family, never mind for the kiwis. How do you get jordie barrett into the team, seeing as hes been playing a lot from 12 for the canes. How do you get reiko ioane into the team seeing as hes playing all season at 13 for the blues. Does DMCK coming back into the team after relative obscurity in japan? will they miss dalton papalii at 7 and shoehorn ardie in there, thoughs hes been playing at 8 all season. Will foster try some debutants to build for RWC 23 or will be stick with the tried and trusted as a series loss to ireland could mean his job?

who starts at 9? smith is aging and hasnt had a good season, being outplayed be the highlanders reserve folau fakatava. Brad webber is next in line but how do you overlook the two 9s starting the the SRP final, Hall and Christie? Both currently playing great rugby and key to both teams being in the final.

who starts at both LH and TH? both positions area areas where there is no out and out certainty. for TH tuungasfi is probably first but isnt a regular starters for the blues, with the younger nepo luala sharing the starts and arguably outplaying him. Theres the massive tamati williams who is probably seen as the next great hope but hes very young and green, and hasnt mastered TH at all yet. I dont think jager or newell is good enough. Does de groot start at 1? he hasnt hit the marks this years that he did last year. Then theres bower, ross and hodgman as possibles there, with not much to differ any of them with all players having weakness to their game.

retallick and whitelock probably sure to start in the row, but both have had injury concerns over the last 6 months. whos next? tuipolotu has also been in japan, so played no super rugby. hows his form? whos next?

This isnt 2011-2015 standard ABs. They are under pressure to perform. I feel foster will stick with tried and trusted and ignore form.

we'll know tomorrow morning anyway

Post edited by sydthebeat on

RTS will probably start at 12, will he?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

For me, I'd prefer Dories to start at 8 but with Coombes to come off the bench and replace Dories with a half hour to go. Assuming the game is still in the balance, Coombes in his best position is a real attacking threat if we get a scrum anywhere close to their Try line

If Dories is rested or injured, Coombes to start at 8.

I think Conan can start at 6 with POM coming off the bench for 6 or 7

Beirne can play 5 6 or 7 depending on the balance of the pack.

I hope Farrell doesn't think Murray is the number 2 scrum half. Casey or Doak should be ahead of him on form. (Sorry Cooney)

JGP may not be the first choice 9 come the end of this NZ tour. He has a great ceiling but I think he's a bit predictable and he's not the kind of leader you need at 9 or 10 which is more obvious when Sextons not there

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I just can't see why a coach would bring Murray at this point. There's any number of guys playing better than him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

I think most people (myself included) thought it would be between JOB and Haley to take Lowry's spot, but Stewart Moore has emerged as a bit of a bolter in recent weeks. I really like him. He's a very natural footballer. 15 really suits him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

He covers centre as well. His form is good. I'd hope he is at least being discussed, not sure he will get the nod though.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,595 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

id imagine he'll get a squad call up, but i cant see him starting at 12 automatically. he's still only learning his trade since his cross over from league.

Havili is the most likely i think. The question is who he will be matched with. Goodhue, ennor, ioane, tupaea are all valid options.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭VayNiice

I don't this Beirne has ever played 7? A 7 needs to be more involved in link play and much quicker than Beirne to be down the throat of the 10. While Beirne is a good Jackler I don't think he has any of the other qualities a 7 needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

If course you would say that.

Your opinion is as useful as tits on a nun..

What would be the biggest pack Ireland could put out next season?

1. Loughman (Porter)
    2. Sheehan (Kelleher)
    3. Furlong (Bealham)
    4. Kleyn (McCarthy)
    5. Ahern
    6. Henderson
    7. Timoney
    8. Coombes (Conan)

I still have a nagging feeling a lack of size/physicality will be an issue in the World Cup with the current locks and Doris at blindside.

Lads act like Kleyn is Ethzebeth. He's bang average! He won't get a sniff when RG and Beirne are healthy.

Why would we have Henderson at 6? This pack doesn't look like it would accomplish much! Ahern isn't a starter! Kleyn is not good enough. The best players must be selected!

I do agree that Loughman could be useful! I've watched him this season and he's been very solid. I reckon he'd be an upgrade on Healy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭theVersatile

I have my doubts whether Loughman is (a) good enough at all, and (b) bigger than Porter.

Also it's incredible how people are so eager to give guys like Ross Byrne and Billy Burns second, third, fourth and fifth chances at the jersey, yet are so quick to exile Kleyn after a few meh games four years ago, when he's been one of the form second rows in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

I know its been discussed before but the New Zealand squad has been announced over night.. As Oli Jager is excluded does he look back to Ireland and possibly munster for his next contract? Its a position Ireland are pretty light in currently.

He is out of contract at the end of the season with the Crusaders.

Advertisement