Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inflation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭HBC08

Yes,if you're an income tax payer or middle earner you should definitely vote SF.

Yes indeedy,that's the smart thing to do.

Post edited by HBC08 on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭brickster69

Producers prices still rising is not a great sign. Two to 4 month lag from those should start to see retailers hit with the effects and ultimately consumers.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭riddles

The amount of food production used to produce beef, pork and dairy was something I looked at recently.

The analysis found that in, 2018/2019, 62% of all cereal crops were used to feed animals and 12% used in industry and as biofuel, with only 23% going to feed people. A striking 88% of soy and 53% of protein-rich pulses were also used for animal feed.

Personally I intend to greatly reduce with a view to eliminating these products.

I have also started to not buy anything made in China where it’s possible.

I will also knock the pubs and restaurants on the head and hotels here. The government doesn’t seem in the slightest way concerned about our debt levels, housing crisis and the general implosion of the country as a whole.

A few small changes might add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

The hotel price gouging situation has been created by the government. There is only something like 1% of hotel rooms available in Dublin. They block booked City West hotel for 2 years. We'd over 3000 asylum seekers arrive here between January and March thanks to O'Gorman's brain fart of telling them they'd get their own front door within 4 months of arrival. We've had more than 30,000 Ukrainians arrive in the last few months. Direct Provision is full. The fact that hotels and B&B's can charge these prices is that there's nowhere for tourists to stay.

Now that Dublin Airport is looking for the guts of 200 euro to park your car for a week and Car Rental companies are expecting people to pay 4 figure sums to hire a car for a week are going to make this country a no go for tourists. There will be a lot of hospitality businesses closing down because the asylum seekers and refugees won't be spending their money in them. Foreign tourists looking at the gouging here will go elsewhere and many won't even give Ireland a second look in the future.

People haven't even really started to feel the bite of inflation on food yet. I've stopped buying some of the brand products I've bought for years and switched to own brands. The rises in supermarket prices are gouging and not reflective of inflation at all. I used to buy a brand of organic milk and the price shot through the roof so I switched to Dunnes own version of it. They've stopped stocking the 2 litre cartons of the other brand now and the litre of it is 55 cent dearer than Dunnes, I'd expect to stop seeing it soon as the prices increase. There is going to be a hell of a winter of discontent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭brickster69

Japan seem in a bit of a pickle as well.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Stop buying suff in tesco so. 3 euro for milk!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

It's a surprise that the biggest Creditor going - governments are hoping to inflate their debt away.

If you are a Debtor of Government, (e.g. pensioners, and future pensioners) you usually should be animated about this. Debtors normally have a problem with the Creditor wriggling out of a deal, always assuming they are aware of what is going on out there.

Interest rates are around 10% below inflation, not sure this sort of gap has been observed before. Debtors should have a problem with this, unless they are being managed carefully of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

A hedge fund is mounting a huge short-selling position against Japanese government bonds. Stupid and risky play (not least for the hedge fund because they'll lose their shirt) as the BOJ has more than enough firepower to see them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,360 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

"doing some work for you"

One wishes it was as easy to do it as to say it.

I'm punting away into EII schemes. Sure could all go up in a puff of smoke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,360 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users Posts: 27,769 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It's a difficult choice isn't it?

Vote FG as an income tax payer, and things aren't going to get better, they will get a little bit worse.

Vote SF as an income tax payer, and not only will things not get better, they will get a huge amount worse, and your job and your livelihood will end up at risk. As they will empty the country with people emigrating, there might be a chance of a house though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

The BOJ is completely insolvent. As is the ECB and most of its component national central banks. A cursory look at their balance sheets would elucidate this. The BOJ is sacrificing their own currency.

As a schoolchild might say "Give up yer aul Keynesianisms"

Post edited by An Ri rua on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Most people work their whole lives now for a simple house, so a house and all pigs being more equal would be rather refreshing 🐷

And yet they keep making their debt obligations, Japnese bonds are regarded as low risk and are priced accordingly relative to other sovereign debt.

This is hyperbolic, there is a flight to the dollar, but the yen is going nowhere.

Similar hyperbole about the ECB.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Hasn't forcing people out of the country in vast numbers been the default strategy of FG and FF for decades.

Oh FFS blanch.

Is there a thread where you don't set up your cheap FG market stall? Give it a rest.

This thread is about inflation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

We need demand destruction. There's nothing worse for the economy than high inflation we are seeing now.

That's why the fed in the US are so intent on raising interest rates.

It all starts with interest rates. Companies and people can take loans at very cheap finance costs. This creates money and puts it into the economy. Companies build new factories, this means more demand for building materials, construction workers, machinery etc.

On the individual level, people have no worries about buying anything because the cost of finance is low. Wanna buy a car? Just get it on 0% pcp. Wanna upgrade your bathroom? Just get a low rate loan. Its demand created via low interest rates.

When there's demand created for everything, everyone is expanding. But everyone expanding means they can't get staff so they have to pay more in wages. This gets passed through to the buyer.

We now need rates to rise substantially. When they do, it will kill demand. That person wanting to buy a new car on pcp will be put off by the cost of finance. More people do this and it leads to dealerships closing. Companies don't expand and build new factories so demand for construction workers drops, meaning wages stagnate. Companies have hired based on their expected growth, so because they're not going to grow as expected, they lay off staff. Suddenly there's less of a labour shortage meaning wages aren't rising so prices stagnate. This means companies don't need to pass through wage increases. They may even need to drop prices to raise demand for their products.

Inflation isn't going to drop to the desired level unless there's demand destruction.

Pretty much, its going to leave a wake of economic destruction though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Oh absolutely, there is no good option, just the least worst

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

It's now gone up another 16 cents. This is Tesco who seem to be going to town with the price rises.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I see they have a new thing called “Clubcard prices” which basically forces you to get one now. People like my father who are seriously tech illiterate lose out.

Super valu have dropped their real rewards one too, miserable shower. Thank god the German discounters entered the Irish market but could do with the likes of Asda coming in now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

€17 for 8 cans of Budweiser in the local store here. Pretty sure it was €15 about a month a go. Saw Carlsberg for €14 though so not across the board.

That's the alcohol side but I'm noticing the increases everywhere, some sharper than others.

Very few items not going noticeably up in price to the extent that I actually think "should I buy this?" "Is this a rip off?".

€3.50 for a 1.5 letre bottle of coke in local Mace store I saw today. The smaller stores have always been more expensive of course but some of the prices are getting ridiculous for certain things.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭AngeloArgue

I don't think they have the political stomach for it. I think they're going to surf the inflation wave and continue to pump the economy. They know they can't raise interest rates enough to cause demand destruction. America has a little more ceiling (and even at that what we're seeing is signalling, is 1.75% really going to apply the brakes?), but the ECB? 2% tops. And I'm inclined to believe that they're only raising them temporarily to load up for market stimulating cuts shortly afterwards.

The Alternative is worse

If you think about it, whose most likely to be worse off in a period of high inflation and continuing economic growth? Older pensioners and savers, low paid, those whose salary doesn't match inflation. Maybe those in control consider such groups as economically illiterate and easily placated with more supports? What we're likely to see is continued and increased government intervention in maintaining living standards. If you look at Ireland we already have FIS, OAP, Children's Allowance, Fuel Allowance, Supplemental welfare payments, Social housing, HAP, etc supporting those groups. What we're probably going to see is more people drawn into such supports. Current debt gets inflated away>government borrows more to support those effected>future debt gets inflated away and so on ad infinitum

• Registered Users Posts: 14,274 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Dunnes own brand block butter (1lb) gone from 2.19 to 2.99 - unbelievable - thought I was seeing things on the receipt.

was in Tesco last week and was gonna pick up 2 bars of green and blacks chocolate that I thought was on offer - turns out it was only with a club card which I don’t have - talk about sneaky. I took one bar and left the other.

A lot of inflation is just taking advantage of people at this stage.

I cannot believe some of the price increases, it is beyond anything I have seen in my lifetime and outside of the basics, I won't buy things unless they're on special offer.

I'd always buy Azera Decaf coffee on special offer. Yesterday was the first time I hadn't seen it on special offer since I started shopping in Dunnes months ago...special offer 4.50, over 6.50 without.

I'm going to have to start being cute and shopping in Solo for items like that. Straight in and straight out and just buy what you need.

Yesterday, I stocked up on pastas that were 25% off.

It was mentioned before but the worse of the lot is the items that have shrunk in size but price is the same. That is just devious!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

I shop in Supervalu and have made a complaint over their voucher scheme. Its ridiculous what they have done. Plus the vouchers they now give are high limits to benefit from. So no incentive to shop there at all. More people need to start taking their money elsewhere.

Advertisement