Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Covid-19 measures are permanent, don't be a boiling frog!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Again, you and your buddies are literially posting shite you find on twitter.

When you are asked the simple question of how you looked into those claims before believing them, you lot flip out and throw tantrums.

You guys aren't displaying any original though. You aren't rebel researchers. You're rubes for con artists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Why? I don't have the answer but perhaps it's lubricating society up for bigger government with stronger powers to make laws that impact more on our lives, eg the way the CCP tramples over human rights with its surveillance of citizens under the guise of "security". I don't think there is much hope for you if you think a nefarious act from the capital 's' State would be brought in with a big red warning note; "this is a breach of your human rights but we're doing it anyway".

As I said about monkeypox, if it comes to nothing then I accept it was not a follow on to covid. Incidentally, it looks like COVID measures are being hinted at again with guidance to wear a mask on public transport. Seems odd for a virus that has a mortality rate of 0.00% for anyone under the age of 70 (you would need a third decimal place to get an accurate mortality rate).

OK. You don't have an answer. So therefore you have to accept that your conspiracy theory doesn't make sense.

Also there's only about 3 weeks left before you'll have to declare your monkeypox theory false.

It kinda looks like you're already jumping ship to try and get back on the coivd thing.

That's fine though conspiracy theorists do this all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,765 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

• Advertisement

Don't worry, Pride awareness is still ongoing and it may rear it's head again during this month. But I think the overarching conspiracy theory is that the measures, restrictions, rules etc. brought in for covid on a whim, with little chance to object or debate them, is a forerunner type of action from a State that is trying to make itself larger (lefties/commies like a big State and we are a capitalist society so have absolutely no time for left wing nonsense), in order to perhaps make it easier to introduce measures that, without a "crisis", would be extremely difficult and controversial to introduce. For example, requiring people to take positive actions like a vaccine or wearing a mask in order to go about their lives is disturbingly intrusive and yet, for whatever reason, in the face of hard data showing how covid only kills the very sick and very old, was adhered to by the vast majority of the public. At the same time, the politicians introducing these measures were repeatedly caught not adhering to them themselves; which of course gives legitimacy to distrust and cynicism.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,581 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

but none of this happened the last time mask mandates , restrictions etc were brought in fight a global pandemic

what is different this time?

why have "they" not tried anything that you've said within the last hundred years?

and the fact that none of what youve said happened within the last hundred years, that pretty much negates your opinion completely

• Registered Users Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

For the 100th time, wearing a piece of paper on your face during a pandemic is not "tyranny". It's common sense.

This pandemic was threatening to overwhelm national hospital systems. A very bad thing. Therefore we used a variety of restrictions and measures to reduce the spread. In order to reduce the threat of it overwhelming our health systems. There's nothing "sinister" about that.

There's nothing "disturbing" about getting a jab against a highly infectious disease.

It's embarrassing to see what I presume are adults pretending they live in some sort of dystopia and straight-forward measures against a pandemic are interpreted at something "evil" they can never explain. Please tell us you've never shared these cringe-worthy views with people you actually know.

Unsurprisingly, another Covid wave expected. Therefore expect the half dozen or so Boards anti-vaxxers and conspiracy theorists to start yammering and shrieking about it.

But as you said you can't explain why they would make the measures permanent.

Your post comes off like an unhinged rant I'm afraid and I don't think there's any value in trying to decipher it.

• Advertisement

But if the don't pretend to be rebels living in a dystopia only they have figured out with their special secret knowledge, then they aren't special...

The advancements in technology is a big difference to what was the case 100 years ago. The surveillance and data capturing abilities now are phenomenal, but of course politically, legally, philosophically even, what is the "State" that gives it the right or the ability even to engage in these actions with respect to its citizens?

Why do you think covid is so serious to warrant any sort of legally-mandated restrictions? It makes no sense to me personally when I see the statistics on serious illness and deaths when filtering by age and underlying conditions why a "mask" (loosely defined and implemented e.g. a piece of fabric sold on the counter of a petrol station is somehow acceptable) would do a whole lot. For under 40s, before we even had vaccines, the mortality rate from suicide was three times higher than from covid. It would be reasonably to question the attention covid gets in this context.

This is exactly the point however; a good way to control people is to not make them think they are actually being controlled (this is obviously accepted as being relatively non-controversial). Being told to do something because of a seemingly legitimate reason means you actually want to do it because you, as a respectable and reasonable person, accept that trust is needed for society to function reasonably harmoniously. It's why I wouldn't be the 1 in 100 people to not get a vaccine or go maskless at the time, but it doesn't mean I necessarily agree with it. If you told me that, for example, not driving to work for a year would result in a dozen acres worth of bees being saved per year, of course I'd think twice about driving in so much. But it should be acceptable to question the reasoning or, if not, there needs to be a level of trust and I don't think with our politicians it is healthy to blindly trust them.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,425 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

the mortality rate from suicide was three times higher than from covid.

The mortality rate from suicide is 100%. But if you are saying that 3 times more people died from suicide than covid you are very wrong. Suicides in Ireland run into the low 100's per year. Deaths from covid ran into the 1000s.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,544 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I see the UK is saying they will raise the age of smoking to 21 and then raise it every year until there is no more tobacco products sold in the UK.

Now that's a permanent restriction yet its tumbleweed from our resident conspiracy theorists. Surely you all must be apoplectic over this horrendous infringement on people's rights to smoke?

I mean if you're willing to risk death by not getting vaxxed, not wearing a mask etc then surely you should be allowed to risk death from smoking too? Your body your choice and all that jazz.

Jesus christ..

Think.

a) You know more than all every national health body around the world which decided independently to enact restrictions and measures

or

b) You don't know more

Which one? Because it's starting to sound like you actually think the former..

It's always "ThEy WaNt To CoNtRoL uS"

And no one can explain who or why.

Yes, correct. Three times as many people died from suicide than from covid under the age of 40 before we had vaccines. This is almost 50% of the population who are categorically at significantly higher risk from catastrophic mental illness than from covid. It is hysterical and nonsensical to give covid much attention. But I think the critical thinking and attention to data is lost on most people which perhaps explains why they panic over it.

I have addressed your post and therefore can conclude you accept my position, unless you want to furiously reply without fully reading this post?

Covid is as dangerous as smoking - that's a new one 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 40,425 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Advertisement

Covid conspiracy theorists: "Everyone is hysterical about a preventative infectious disease that has killed 6 million people in just two years and pushed our health systems to their limits"

Also Covid conspiracy theorists: "Masks are muzzles!! Vaccines are dangerous!! It's all a plan to install Communism!! They are trying to control us!!"

The more time I spend on this forum the more I am convinced there are people who are of such intense stupidity they are simply incapable of processing that anyone can know more than them

• Registered Users Posts: 25,544 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Actually more people died in the last 2 years from covid than cancer.

Do you not think people should have the choice to smoke or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Jesus if this what you genuinely believe, I wonder how you actually function in real life.

I think what happens with conspiracy theorists is they get convinced that all experts are lying about basically everything, therefore their own lies are just as valid as the lies of experts, therefore they are basically experts.

"Well, I'm making it up on the fly, so I guess everyone else is too, then?"

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I would imagine that being a conspiracy theorist is very much like being a boiling frog. You find a little snippet of a conspiracy one day and gradually end up at the point that everything is a conspiracy. Chemtrails, flat earth, fake moon landings, viruses aren't real, covid is a hoax.

Nice retort, why not engage with the post?

Reported.

Can anyone properly engage or is this forum just full of dismissal? I'm tired from the constant post reporting I have to do as people take CTs far too seriously. It used to be that CTs were just a bit of fun but it is disturbing how people genuinely take them seriously and get so defensive.

Did they really? So you are just looking at the headline death numbers from COVID and not in fact noting the with/from COVID distinction I assume.

I have been active in trying to get smoking banned in public spaces in my local community. It is disgusting and smokers that inflict their horrible fumes on us in restaurants and public spaces are a pathetic bunch IMO.

• Advertisement

It's one to watch for sure. The WHO has called an emergency meeting next week on Monkeypox to consider declaring it an emergency on par with COVID. Absolute nonsense and any rational person would wonder why on earth an emergency meeting is needed let alone any emergency meeting that might declare monkeypox as much of a threat as COVID!

The public health advice for monkeypox is thus;

"Don't dip your wick in someone covered in blisters or you could end up with unsightly blisters and a bit of a flu for a few weeks".

Nothing more than that should be needed in respect of monkeypox so this is somewhat peculiar. I have only given it until the end of June for this monkeypox thing to be made a big deal in any event, staking my whole COVID CT-reputation on it, so part of me wants something to come out of the WHO meeting as it would lend credibility to what I claimed but at the same time of course monkeypox is utterly irrelevant so sense should really prevail.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement