Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion - 2024 All Ireland Hurling Champions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭supernova5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Boots234

We just need to avoid Kerry in Mondays draw!

and Dublin and to a lesser degree Galway and Derry

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

I have never seen anyone to master the powers of negativity like yourself ,😂 last week Tony Kelly this week Keelan sexton .... come on lad!!!

Mighty win for the footballers , Keelan is a sensation he always was but provided it when it mattered today

Defensive system Clare use is impressive to be fair Russell,O'Dea, Cathal o, Connor and young routine were fantastic at the back today , pearse Lillis was a colossus too as always

Bonus territory multiply by ten at this stage , a good year for Clare gaa was 3rd place in Munster , now we have 2 all Ireland 1/4 finals in as many weeks

Take a bow Michael O'Connor in county board and everyone attached including our beloved man from sixmilebridge in the purple jumper , impressive work with development and funding has led to all this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭caddy16

Michael O'Connor and Pat Fitz..... development & funding.....strange to single them out?

Post edited by caddy16 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Figerty

Imagine where we would be if there was a proper development system .....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

No purple jumpers allowed

id say thats jimmy sloyan's nemisis from the shamrock in claremorris , is that you seamus ??? 🤣

• Advertisement

i agree in regards hurling for sure , the whole thing seems to be propped up by the likes of donal moloney and a few more , but as regards football the development work has produced some really good players , especially in the last few years , cillian rouine was excellent yesterday for example , manus doherty has been excellent all year these are the type of player the development squads are producing

to be fair to michael he is one of the more hands on member of the county board , he rolls up the sleeves gets in volved in as many areas as he can and dose huge work

fitz needs some form of credit for yesterday , he has never stood in the way of football in the county , anything collins wants he gets , there are several counties up and down the country tearing themselves apart over hurling and football the midlands especially

for someone that was at the match yesterday and didnt hear the commentary of the game on clare fm this is excellent , syl o'connor is some man , this is the last 90 seconds of the game serious stuff

Bring on the Oakleafers

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Treble double

Great draw for Clare, a fellow Division 2 team, they will have no fear of them and have a right cut at them.

I was full sure we would pull Kerry again what an anti climax that would have been. They go with hope now that's all you can ask for.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I think the lads will be relishing this opportunity to get to an All Ireland Semi Final

If we tune out of a game for even 10-15 mins, the likes of Galway, Kerry or Dublin would score about 2-5 and it'd be game over.

I'd be hopeful we can stay in the game v Derry. Another late 1-3 like the last day would be welcome :)

Despite complaints over the venue, having the run-out at Croke Park gives us a slight edge on Derry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭shockframe

Massive congrats to Clare on the win last Saturday.

And to win it without Gary Brennan and all! Outstanding commentary from Syl O'Connor at the end.

I was one of the few Limerick fans that made it to Ennis for that epic 6 weeks ago and whilst delighted we won on penlaties that night I felt sorry that someone had to lose out.

Obviously I was disappointed we didn't get over the line yesterday after a great performance down in Cork but pleased for those who have followed Clare Football down the years and that it gave ye a chance to put right what happened in Ennis.

Even better today that ye avoided Kerry. Give it a lash Colm!

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭17togo

Any update or confirmation on Hayes and Duggan getting the one match ban? Anywhere I look it just says "proposed" one match ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭letowski

I think it officially becomes a ban tonight, so we might hear word tomorrow if there is an appeal.

Interestingly, it was reported by Colm Keyes of the Indo that Peter Duggan is receiving a suspension for his incident with William O’Donoghue, not for the Sean Finn incident, latter of which certainly was worse. If that is the case though, Clare should definitely appeal Duggan’s match ban. That incident with WOD is completely innocuous imo, it looked more like he gave WOD just a palm away for WOD’s arms being around his neck/head, than an actual punch.

That said I doubt they’ll have either of them available this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Gael85

Great result Saturday for the footballers. Delighted to be at game and great last 5 minutes. Clare played well in first half. Only when pushed up on Roscommon kickouts at end in second half brought them back into game. Thought Clare keeper was very nervy particularly in first half. How many goalkeepers have Clare used in Colm Collins time? Anyway very good performances from Sexton, Lillis, O'De and O'Connor. Looking forward to the Derry game.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I have a spare terrace ticket for the Killinan end if any wants it?

Reported today that Clare will appeal both suspensions.

One reason being to get the lads off.

The other being to find out what is going on, where did these bans suddenly come from, why only last weekend, why only that match but only certain incidents etc.

Regardless of the outcome of the appeal, it's a distraction that we don't need. And let's be honest, missing those two players weakens the team. We don't have another corner back like Rory Hayes, and somebody will need to stop Rory O'Connor, McDonald, Chin and co.

I said it after the Munster final, that the Wexford game worries me, and that hasn't changed. And usually I'm more optimistic as a Clare fan. But even just checking the odds there, PP have Wexford at 3/1 to win which is quite an outside price. I don't like that.

Wexford were bad at the start of the championship, but I was impressed with them versus Kilkenny. They beat them by 4, but they easily a 10 point better team that day if it wasn't for a point blank save by Murphy from 5 yards on McDonald and an uncharacteristic bad day shooting by ROC. They are not as one-dimensional like last year under Davy, this can still work it short up the field, but they also can play it direct into McDonald and ROC who can cause damage to any team. They have they're best attackers closer to goal nowadays and not isolated or double marked.

There is also the added motivation of not being dumped out of the championship by the same team 3 years running. I know people won't agree with me, and even excluding the rigmarole with the suspensions, but I would still see this weekend's QF with Wexford in Thurles as a more difficult one to win, than a SF against Kilkenny in CP. JMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭cnoc

Rory Hayes incident.

2 belts of his hurley in the back.

I'm with you on that viewpoint, this is a desperately difficult game for Clare, [even with our full team out] now its fraught with extreme danger, funnily enough I was more confident going into the Munster final, and I agree with the Croke Park KK part of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

If Clare can't beat Wexford then they won't deserve to go further. Its as simple as that . Even without the 2 guys. I think a good start is essential.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mcw100

• Advertisement

Farcical stuff altogether but good news for us no doubt. I guess while I am surprised they are cleared, you can never underestimate the amateurism of the GAA.

In other news, that article says that Aidan McCarthy is in line to return this weekend which is good to hear, although Shane Meehan is a doubt.

Advertisement