Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭MFPM

Yeah, it's going to be interesting, You'd imagine Kerry and Dublin might want Mayo and Armagh to get a test before their likely meeting in the semis, although I think that 'battle hardened' stuff is a bit overdone by pundits, Dublin and Kerry are well-used to winning AI's in weak provinces. That said Armagh would be good prep for Dublin ahead of Kerry...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭rolling boh

A lot of talk about Dublin seems to be we are back to where we were a couple of years ago that very much remains to be seen we have a different squad now if we had the team of three years ago i would be very confident but this year is quite open it appears . I want a good test now because if we meet Kerry i do not want a drubbing if they win fair enough but at least go out competing .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭MFPM

Dublin v Cork

Kerry v Mayo

Derry v Clare

Galway v Armagh

So you'd expect

Dublin, Kerry, Derry and Armagh to progress.

• Advertisement

Not quite the draw I wanted but thats it bring on the rebels !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,864 ✭✭✭billyhead

Kerry v Dublin semi and the winner of this to Winn the AI.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭toffeeshel

The quarter finals are two double headers aren’t they? Interesting to see what combinations they will use to maximize attendances. Cork and Kerry won’t travel in huge numbers but Mayo probably will. I would imagine a Dublin Cork Kerry Mayo double header

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 18,781 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I was wondering could any of youse remember when this game was? Dunno was it League/Championship. But Cork really put it up to a peak Dublin team first half. Then ran out of petrol. Cork played counter attacking football. The Cork backs were particularly good with Dorman catching the eye. Was in CP.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I think Armagh or Derry would be perfectly capable of springing a nasty surprise in the final. Neither will feel overly awed, at least in my opinion, and are pretty solid teams. Can't see Galway or Clare getting much joy out of their games.

We've had Corks number for years, and I don't see that changing this year, at least not going by our performances in the last two games. Bring that level again and we'll go through.

Kerry and Mayo is an interesting one. Kerry doing very well this year, the form team, but there's still a question mark over them. Over the last few years, I felt that they got overly confident and had an eye on the next match, not the one that they're playing. If they do that this time, then Mayo have a good shout.

Yeah if any outsiders are going to win Sam wouldn’t be picking Mayo. That pressure on them is like -8 points before they kick a ball in a final.

The two Ulster teams in contrast are playing without a care in the world. I already have had to reevaluate my ‘McGeeney’s teams never win championship games they are not supposed to win’ twice in a row! Armagh might be doing well despite him I don’t know!

Plus we saw the walloping Armagh gave Dublin in the NFL. Derry are a breath of fresh air. Where were they hiding that for all these years? Real momentum there too.

And when Ulster teams do well the whole of Ulster GAA supports an Ulster team from another province.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭muddle84

That was a super 8's game in 2019. The score doesn't reflect how close a game it was. They really did run out of gas, I think Dublin scored 3-03 in the last 10 minutes or something like that.

Ah fair play I was beginning to think I was imagining it! I remember a steward from Cork saying first half. Jayus I didn’t know we were this good!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yeah, I remember that game, was very impressed with Cork, they actually pushed us for much of the game, never let us settle into the game management mode of controlling the ball and the flow. Well, right up until the end, then they were out on their feet.

Really thought that they'd push on from there, become a force again, because they did all the right things in that game. It was a performance that would have beaten most teams, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I thought they attacked well rather than set up defensively like most teams against Gavin, and scored well untill they ran out of steam at the death

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Happy enough with Cork will give us some kind of game im sure but ultimately shouldn't have enough over the course of the whole match.

Mayo Kerry will be interesting as I reckon no one will give Mayo any chance .

Type of game Mayo love - not an AI final underdogs.

Found the match report of game Irish Times

Template definitely there for Cork. Cork are a really odd team though if they got their act together they could give most teams a rattle. They just don’t seem that pushed about football in Cork.

Yeah they have nothing to lose pressure is all on Kerry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,931 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I am remembering a different game, where we were dead and buried against Cork, think it was national league and came back in the second half.

Edit: Actually it was the 2014 NFL semi-final when we came back and buried them.

That was a good bit further back. Knew there was more recent one. 2014 was a mad game v Cork though, not talked about as much as it should. Basically because of all the AI success. Seemed to be plenty of league matches where Dublin managed mad comebacks in the "glory years".

Was also thinking about last big game Dublin played Derry in (Kerry , Armagh, Galway obvious ones)

Dublin played Derry in one NFL final don't think it was close but, Cooper nullified Derry's dangerman at the time, Lynch. Derry team seems a lot different now.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭NedsNotDead

The Final with Derry was 2014. Dublin hammered them 3-19 to 1-10. And the socreline flattered Derry. I might be getting confused but I think Derry went into a spiral after that and ended up being relegated each year until they were in Division 4

Hope the news in the paper is wrong about Con and James mc Carty if true our chances beyond today are gone .Hamstring injuries they are saying .

Me da just sent me article mentioning this heard nothing all week. That will **** us massively if turns out there not playing. There not minor injuries either.

Was starting to feel good about this season as well....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,976 ✭✭✭Xander10

yeah the rumoured injuries are making me very nervous. Getting a bad feeling about this one, especially with all the hype of the result being a foregone conclusion.

Hopefully I am totally wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Could just be cute Dublin hoorisn!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

I thought the same but see the article in the Mirror. I know it's a rag but still, it's a national newspaper which makes me think there is some truth to it and not the dubs version of Yerra

The 'Real Capital' view on Cork v Dublin - Preview

Disappointed the lads on the podcast did not mention the 2019 Super 8's game between Cork and Dublin. They must have forgotten about that example.

• Advertisement

Team confirmed both the lads are out ffs! Let's hope if we get through today there available for semi final.

Advertisement