Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

And it's a pretty long time to be guessing who will win the election... Meanwhile we currently have a pretty big ongoing story around the insurrection and you're outright ignoring it... Just seems like a poor effort to distract from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,442 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Registered Users Posts: 11,384 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Since, as you pointed out is a thread about trump. So let's discuss the hearings. What are your thoughts on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,855 ✭✭✭✭briany

Of course Biden will run again if he in any way can, especially if Trump is the Republican nominee again. And Biden's detractors would bleat on about his age while absolutely ignoring the fact that Trump would be 77 come 2024.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

I don't think we can just ignore it.

The two nations with which we have the closest economic and cultural ties are very close to failed democracies. In Trump and Borris the bar has been set so low in terms of who is electable and standards in office.

None of that is accidental. This is best seen with QAnon, which started as a bunch of weirdos on an obscure chat site, which has now taken hold of the GOP. That is all very deliberate and built primarily on a long standing hatred/distrust by a huge number of Americans against the Clintons and fear of the federal government over reach ; which has been made possible by the decline of real journalism and the advent of the social media bubbles now inhabited by many in the western world and elsewhere. This has made huge numbers gullible to manipulation to believe almost anything.

There is effectively close to zero independent media in either countries.

If it can happen in the USA and to a lesser extent the UK it can and probably will happen here and elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,539 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

In totally unsurprising news, the DC Bar is looking to either suspend or disbar Rudy Giuliani, based on his antics. The news is making rounds as 'Rudy being charged,' that's over the top, yes the bar calls it a 'charge' but the most they can do to him is disbar him, which would surprise no one.

Ah, now. The UK wouldn't be anywhere near as bad as the U.S. for political discourse at the minute. In the UK, the concept of the PM attending a party during lockdown was almost enough to put him out of office. There would actually be the real possibility of politicians putting some sort of common standard ahead of party affiliation. Cultural similarities between the U.S. and U.K. would only be superficial. There's an extreme crassness that runs through American culture, especially their media, racial fault lines that run back hundreds of years, a huge evangelical protestant population, hyper-consumerism and cult of celebrity. Fertile ground for QAnon and the like. You just wouldn't find that combination of negative cultural aspects in the same critical mass amounts in either the U.K. or Ireland. The idiocy of Brexit was pretty bad, but I still can't currently see it getting to the point in the U.K. where you'd have Boris Johnson openly questioning the results of an election, for example, and calling it illegitimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,470 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

That a tually surprises me. I would have thought DeSantis would be much more likely to run and possibly win. Theres a solid chance Trump will be dead in 2024 given his age and DeSantis seems like the obvious replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I'm only seeing it now but what the actual **** happened near a pride event and a U haul truck ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,142 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

White supremacists packed into a uhaul truck looking for a riot and they were interdicted by police

• Registered Users Posts: 13,539 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Loved this one:

If you or a loved one suffers from MAGA consult your family doctor

"Bye?"

Chairman Raskin is back on the media circuit this Sunday, following his leave for a family tragedy.

Tinseltown is eager to get hard evidence on precisely which (*if any) Republicans sought pardons from Trump.

And apparently he has a laptop or something. It's a pity people have so much trouble finding stuff to attack Biden's character directly. Trump was better that way.

There's a Hunter Biden thread and a Joe Biden thread each; it's telling when nothing is said actually about Trump in his own thread when MAGA tries do deny deflect and gaslight for the seditionist weasel.

If you want to actually attack either Biden in good faith there are better places to do it. You're not defending Trump, you're evidencing how weak his political movement is these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

That’s it I’m off, hers a parting shot. I certainly won’t be returning in a while with a whole new name I promise.

even got the echo chamber shout in for the bingo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Thanks. I wasn't aware of the existence of those threads

This is one of my favorites

• Advertisement

Cheney is catching a fair amount of **** from her own party for pointing out a few unfortunate truths. Being Republican royalty means nothng to the MAGAs.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

And what, pres tell, has that got to do with Trump?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

How likely is it that The Chump could be in jail by 2024?

Not likely at all.

I watched Trump make his January 6th speech live and sat there shaking my head as he continued to confidently assert that the election was stolen, despite almost every legal challenge made be thrown out of court. Never in the history of modern western politics do I remember seeing anything like it, and for a sitting U.S. president to whip up a crowd of angry supporters with that kind of completely unfounded, inflammatory bilge of the absolute highest order would have been utterly, utterly unimaginable 20 years prior.

The idea that you would need all this procedure to prove something about Trump is proof, to me, that he won't face consequences, because just what he did on the day that's undeniably on tape was bad enough and should be actionable by itself. A reckless and borderline treasonous action he took that day. Trump is no dummy, though he acts like one to appeal to the dummies. He couched that word 'peacefully' as if he didn't know exactly what he was doing. He knew damn well what he was doing. If the thought of violence never entered his head, he wouldn't have made such an effort to really stress that word one time.... and then back to seditious, baseless conspiracy theory for the MAGA morons. He knew what he was doing.

But the other reason he won't face consequences is that even if you could prove his involvement on the technical level apparently required, throwing him in jail makes him a political martyr. Trump knows anything done to him just stokes the anger of the American alt-right and gun-toting militia types, who are the biggest domestic threat in the USA right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shillyshilly

I hope Trump runs n 2024, so we can see him lose again

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Highly unlikely - Certainly not for anything related to January 6th.

Really really hard to see federal charges being brought against him given the political impact. I do think that some in his orbit could be in trouble though - Navarro, Eastman , Meadows and a few others could find themselves in real trouble.

There is a decent enough chance that Trump gets convicted in NY for his dodgy tax/property dealing.

He won't get jail-time but could end up losing most/all of his assets , certainly I can see an outcome where the "Trump Corporation" is wound up and he and the family are barred from holding corporate office ever again along with huge fines.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,442 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The political aspect is even more reason to lock him up. Otherwise the next guy along might try the same thing knowing that there wont be any possibility of real consequences.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I totally understand and agree with your point from a normal perspective , but the environment there is so utterly toxic and thus far Garland has been massively conservative in his decisions.

Unless there is something utterly and completely irrefutable to charge him with I really can't see it.

The risk of charging him and then losing would be enormous - As the saying goes "if you take the shot , you'd better be absolutely sure you kill him"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I can't imagine that Trump's activities since the last election will have endeared him to the independent swing voters that he needs in order to win an election. Saying that, Biden isn't exactly Mr Popular either. One thing that is certain is that if Trump is re-elected, that's the end of the US as a democracy. He'll purge anyone and everyone that's not devoted to him and would probably just appoint his own successor at that stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,641 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

You are looking in the wrong place. Trump is not looking to win over voters, they are focused on removing those voters that voted Biden last time. If they can keep the same number and reduce the number voting for Biden (or whomever the Dem candidate is) they win.

They are not interesting in winning the popular vote.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement