Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cult of Stephen Kenny

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Scottish football would generally be regarded as a far higher standard by most than the LOI. Yet I haven't seen a Scottish team outside Celtic and Rangers qualify for the group stages of a European competition in years. I think Aberdeen were the last back in 07/08 when the Europa League was still called the Uefa Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Micko67

Rangers we’re beaten in this season’s europa league final

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

That's why I said teams outside Celtic and Rangers. I can't of any leagues in Europe as uncompetitive as Scottish football. But generally the Scottish league is considered higher than LOI even when Rangers went bust Aberdeen, Hibs or Hearts couldn't qualify for the group stages of European competitions but yet Dundalk and Rovers could.

A lot of LOI players end moving to non old firm Scottish teams aswell as League 1 and 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

He’s literally playing the player available to him. Jesus, the lengths the pro-Kenny posters will go to defend him is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

True but their international team are 6 places below us in the FIFA rankings, not a huge disparity but we’d be expected to be better then them …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

fair point and I’ll do my best to answer it in a short way. Serie A players, for example, aren’t going to move en masse to the championship for the better money on offer there due to geographical reasons and the fact they can still make a handsome living staying in Italy.

LOI players who are on one year contracts and struggling to get a mortgage will of course jump at the chance to sign for a L1 club for 3 years. Yet not many get signed up and the ones that do are normally the elite or the ones impressing at 18-21 age bracket

• Registered Users Posts: 3,675 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

SPLs bottom 3/4 sides are closer to loi alright hence why players move there, but theres a massive jump to what celtic/rangers need ability wise. scales was one of the best defenders in LOI , moved to celtic and hes out the door this summer he cant make it as a 3rd choice at lb. People say "a lot of loi players move to l1/l2" its not a lot really though. Numbers are small in the scheme of things , overall the league as a whole is not anywhere near the levels of l1/l2 apart from as I said, Rovers. UCD would get relegated from the conference, harps arent much better. Mid table sides in LOI are lower l2/conf level. Why are people dressing it up ? Dont really get it. Go to games/watch them weekly and the need for some loi go'er to paint the league as something it aint is strange.

This isn’t a worthwhile comparison as Irish (and faroe isles & other low ranked UEFA club coefficient ranking) champions get a kinder route in the Europa league than teams that finish 3rd etc in higher ranked leagues

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

One win and suddenly Kenny is a genius.

I won't be too harsh on him, it was a great win and a good performance but all those people saying where are the critics now....we're still here but we want Ireland to win. We just don't think Kenny is any good.

That win should be enough to see us avoid relegation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,181 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Scales is on the move to Aberdeen by the looks of it, so he is staying in the same league, not like he is going to some league 2 side. Celtic have just won the league and will be in the group stages of the Champions league next season, no shame in leaving for another premiership side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Masch8933

Is the irony not lost on some here, people slagging off the LOI and its standards and yet it is what Ireland will have to look to for the future in order to take our destiny back into our own hands. I neither follow the LOI strongly nor the premier league but I always find that those who slag off the LOI are those United, Liverpool fans etc who live and die by these teams results on a weekend. I find that embarassing frankly

Gone are the days when you would have boat loads of kids going over at 14/15 to Liverpool, United, Arsenal etc they go and get the best around the world now. Why cant Ireland develop their own players, playing to a structure and style that is developed from an early age.

The only reason why the LOI is not of a higher standard is because of money, there is no investment and no buy in from a large section of the football supporting fraternity in Ireland (see above). Clubs cannot afford to tie players under contract and then earn decent fees for their good players when the time comes, its a vicious circle and therefore cannot build on their success, even with teams like Rovers will earn pennies if Bazuna makes a big move because they were not in a strong position to negotiate terms.

With regard to Kenny, yes he has had his bad times (show me a current manager who hasnt relatively) but he has also proven he can develop teams to compete at a higher level and playing good football to go with it. Everyone understands its a results business and if he doesnt increase his win percentage he will be under pressure but people also have to factor in our standard of player and our age profile too.

Its obvious people have an issue with him, either due to the fact he came from the LOI or that they dont like the support he gets from certain sections but who would these people get to come in if they had a choice??

• Registered Users Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I don't think you can compare solely on wages.

It would surely be an indicator?

Would the ambition of most of those Irish players not be to get picked up by a big English club? So I don't think they'd be as averse to uprooting and going across the water as say an Italian might be to move to the UK to play a lower level.

If someone is playing in a league of Ireland team and supplementing their income by working part time as a postman, surely most would go and get a position as a full time professional in a UK league if they were good enough to get a start there? What money would those English league players be on?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I think the ambition of any footballer is to play at the highest level possible, but other factors come in to play (like shared language). With Brexit rules, we're beginning to see that drift away from being purely Britain.

We've a fecked up heritage where we have "nursery" clubs that are proud to export young lads. But even then, you only get on the plaque if you are successful enough to get a cap...

“Its obvious people have an issue with him, either due to the fact he came from the LOI or that they dont like the support he gets from certain sections but who would these people get to come in if they had a choice??”

Or maybe it’s nothing to do with where he’s come from, and everything to do with the pathetic run of results we’ve had with him in charge?? Would any other manager in the history of Ireland have been given a new contract after the terrible results Kenny got during his first contract??

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

The Scottish premiership outside of the old firm would be on par with the LOI (imo)

was watchin Rangers v Hearts in the Scottish cup final a few weeks back and it was like chalk & cheese, the gulf between the two teams was clearly evident, Hearts could only muster up one decent attack during the whole game and yet they finished 3rd in the league.😶

you’re entitled to your opinion but I would be amazed if it was even close to correct. Talking about the LOI standard is a complete farce anyway as shamrock rovers are miles ahead of UCD and Finn harps.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

OK, lets say the 'best of the LOI' would be on par with the SPL bar the old firm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,675 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

Mceneff cant get a game with Hearts, he was fantastic with rovers. It says a lot IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I see the media (Daniel McDonnell etc) are giving Kenny a free pass now until after the Euro qualification. A really silly thing to do and why were are where we are at the moment.

I'm not again it to be honest but he needs to start winning against teams like Armenia / Luxermbourg on a consistent basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

He's picking players to fit the system. A lot of those players would be dropped if we were to revert to stone age hoofball that you still have wet dreams about. There's no room for creativity in that set up, and we've seen good players left out before because of it.

Anyway, who would you replace Kenny with that would have in interest in the underage setup and the longevity and development of Irish football?

• Advertisement

What run of results though? Up to the Armenia game in Irelands previous 14 games they lost twice to Serbia and two last minute Ronaldo goals.

These were the results which led into him getting his new contract, you cannot argue with it. But it seems people will find anything and on Saturday Ireland recorded their biggest win against a nation ranked them since 1989 (when they beat Northern Ireland 3-0). People seem to have these unrealistic expectations

The manager of the Irish Mens International football team, has no remit to develop underage football. If he wanted to so that he should have stayed within the underage set up. Excuses, excuses, excuses. It’s pathetic.

He needs to have a knowledge of it, and how it works obviously.

Anyway, who's your suggestion to replace Kenny?

The 1-1 draw with Azerbaijan, the 1-1 with Qatar, the 1-0 loss to Luxembourg, the 0-0 with Bulgaria. All absolute dross. All bar Qatar in competitive games. A poxy 96th minute 1-0 vs Lithuania in a friendly isn’t a good result.

Why does he? What do you think the role of the Senior Irish manager is??

And are competitive draws against Portugal and Serbia not good results? From the tone of your responses here, I dont think anything will change your mind and sadly your thinking represents a certain section of supporters.

They would be good results, if we weren’t drawing/getting beat by international minnows. Otherwise they are pointless. We were getting beaten by Andorra ffs. Until the butchers, the bakers and the candlestick makers ran out of steam against a team of professional footballers.

So again, during the 14 matches, Ireland did not lose to any international minnows. You need to make your mind up.

You seem to have all the solutions, who would you have in charge of the team? What players would you bring in that would suddenly improve the squad we have?

It is clear, you have an issue with him. Would be interesting to see if you are one of these diehard premiership team supporters who have no real interest in the development of Irish football and only look for results

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭MyLove4Satan

Did you see how far he took Dundalk in the Europa League? By any measure that was impressive. Of course you 'Oh England My Lionheart!' types while wearing a celtic jersey and holding a pint of stout were probably getting too excited about the Mansfield via Fleetwood match that same week.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement