Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭Jofspring

At Bloom today. Very similar to the EV6 inside. If you like the ev6 but want something a bit smaller but with great range this will be a fantastic option.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Not sure if it has been previously shared, but the latest Navigator update is available (dated 30th May).

Details available here: https://update.kia.com/EU/E1/updateNoticeView/624

You can download the Navigator updater here: https://update.kia.com/EU/E1/navigationUpdate

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

That's only for the 8" screens. The update for the 10.25" wide screens isn't due until "early June" according to the announcement under the one referenced above.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

Agree technical progress has been very significant over last decade to the extent that they will technically replace Ice for the majority of drivers. However, the big stumbling blocka of supply and affordability will take a while yet to resolve.

Cars are quickly turning into pieces of technology with updates happening every 5 months to a year. Why is Hyundai withdrawing current Ioniq 5 before launching new model? Its not as if its a brand new car that significantly moves the game on. Why can't they sell concurrently like was always the case? I suppose simple answer is extreme profit maximisation or more colloquially described as gouging.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Strange. The list of eligible vehicles for that update includes Niro EV (MY'20): Standard Gen5W Navigation - which is the wide screen version right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

I believe so. I also believe that if you try the wrong version, it simply won't work anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

I noticed that myself but I think that's an earlier build (there's what looks like a date string in the version which aligns to Feb for the wide-screen ones), so not sure if that list is specific to this update, or just the lastest updates for all vehicles.

EDIT: Assuming that is a date, my 212 Niro (MY21) is back on a 2019 build so I'll be trying it myself anyway.

That's the list of vehicles for which you can download AN update, not the one they're referring to in that announcement.

The MY20 GEN5W models are on 220211 released back in February, the slightly newer facelifted MY22 GEN5W models are on 220429, and only the Standard and Compact GEN5 cars are on the latest 220519 release, the one referred to in the announcement.

By the way, apart from newer maps, the major thing that's changed in this update is that they've finally fixed the screw up with the speed limit display that kept on displaying "---" instead of the real limit under some circumstances.

Actually, a question for anyone who's been there and done that with these updates, the guide says the "engine" should be running, but can it be done while driving (obviously without the use of the infotainment) or does the car have to be parked up for the duration? I know the VW IDs are unusable during their OTA updates, but I think they're updating markedly more than just infotainment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 sbar

I was at Bloom too yesterday and told initial sales will start in September. The car they have is a prototype LHD and came from Italy a few days ago. Apparently Ireland may be getting only 100 Niro K4 EVs this year and I was advised to check with a dealer about ordering. I went to Gowans this morning and was told they may only get 5 if they're lucky and they are already taken. I was told a few months ago no orders were being taken, so I don't get how some orders are already taken. No further orders will be taken until September and then those orders will be for delivery next year :-(

I think someone was asking about EV6 availability and got no answer. Gowans are not being told about prices so we may not know until Sept.

Whats all the secrecy about? I wonder are they waiting to see if there will be any changes to the seai grant signalled in advance of the budget. The size of the grant may influence the price set for the car. As many have said the grant is simply increasing the price charged by EV manufacturers.

Same crap as back in March 2020 when I got my MY20. We knew it was coming with the wide infotainment screen, but after that, it was a total mystery to both the dealer and I. The big bonus was the 11kW charger with disappointment with no heat pump or led headlights.

Wouldn't swap it for the world. Best decision ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

Me too, love the Niro. Not sure (after watching the preview on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiVuZOmptZI) whether the new Niro is much of an upgrade. Not that it need be, I think I prefer the interior and general aesthetic of the current one though.

To answer my own question, there are three options for upgrade, scheduled, normal and quick. I went with normal on the basis of some research on other sites, and it allows normal use while it transfers files (takes a good hour or more, so candidate for a long drive), and then 8 mins with no infotainment while it applies the update and restarts. Could probably drive during that too, but I didn't try it. I assume the quick option does an all in one and you'd be without infotainment for longer but overall done quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭icom

Update completed, no issues, looks really good.

Thanks for the heads up. (First Edition 8 inch screen)

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭icom

You could do it while driving, takes about 20 minutes to complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Evilcamper

I think this is happening at most of the dealers. I am a bit surprised that there will be no more deliverys in the rest of the year after this load however.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭CFC007

I saw the car at bloom. Looks well to be fair besides the 2 tone panels. I got talking to the rep and he reckons it will be around 46.5k for pure EV. Id rather pay the extra for EV6 at that price point if true.

That back lower bumper looks horrendous. Maybe I'm too conservative

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

That’s the first time I’ve seen the rear bumper looking like that. I don’t even see it on their own site. So perhaps it’s something they did for the show for reasons best known to themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Fermi

So I spoke with two dealers yesterday, in Galway. Kenny's would take my deposit and probably provide the car in August / September, they do not know about the price yet and should have the demo car in July.

The second dealer confirmed the price will be "north of 45k" and would not take any more deposits, as they already have 15 of them with only about 5 cars coming until the end of the year.

If the 45k+ is going to be indeed the price, I think it is too high for what the car is - there is plenty of competition out there...

I wonder if that is pre or post SEAI grant. If its after grant price then that would be an extreme price point for it given the EV 6 and the K4 phev prices (only a difference of GBP2k on the UK website between the PHEV K4 and EV K4. Not the best comparision given I don't know what the incentives are in the UK).

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Looks like something you'd see in a wild life park.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 sbar

I've seen the zebra like markings on other prototypes, not expecting the final versions to have that.

From what I've seen of some of the specs, the EV K4 seems to be more similar to the EV6 GT-line than the EV6 Earth - especially the driver assistance tech. I am tending to go for the Niro EV K4 rather than the EV6 GT-line, a lot of similar features but perhaps ~ 10k less. The EV6 does win on charging times and battery capacity and there should be an AWD option someday, whereas there's no sign of a Niro EV AWD .... yet 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Price I got from two dealers was €43k after grant, which included choice of colour.

No other choice in terms of spec. Just one spec. Demo models in Aug/Sep (as mentioned by others also). Jan 2023 delivery possible, but who knows if thats just sales talk at this stage.

Spec seems decent though. Has 3.5kW "vehicle to device" in there too.

Nice car but just shows you the crazy money currently being charged for EVs in this country. The smallest EV from KIA costing €48k. It would be interesting what price it would be pitched at if there was no generous €5k grant for cars costing up to €60k.

Its amazing how any EVs are being sold in the UK with the £30k but off point and much smaller grant.

Is that Jan delivery window for the 2nd batch. I thought the first batch were due in Sep with test models in Jul/Aug but I suppose there is that massive strike in Korea right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I don’t know what customer deliveries there are this year but aug/sep is the launch with just demo models. I doubt anyone is driving out the door in Sep, but I could be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Tweaky

A lot of new driving reviews up on youtube. Looks like all the UK reviewers got their test drives yesterday and were allowed upload the videos this morning.

Advertisement