Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Cordell

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well, slavery and Nigeria have been synonymous for centuries. Anyone with even basic schooling has heard of the Ivory Coast and the Gold Coast of Africa, some may have even heard of the Pepper Coast, all European names for areas of trade and resources. Well there was also the Slave Coast and Nigeria was at its centre.

The traditional slave trade in Southern Nigeria preceded the arrival of European influence,[4] and continued locally long after the effective abolition of slavery in many other countries.[5]

With the arrival of the transatlantic slave trade, traditional slave traders in southeastern Nigeria became suppliers of slaves to European slave traders.[4] Although local slavery was officially prohibited by the colonial British administration from the mid-1880s,[6] they tacitly permitted it to continue well into the 1930s,[7] ending completely only in the 1940s.[5]

In 1961, the newly independent First Nigerian Republic ratified the 1926 Slavery Convention.

So when that rabble rousing galoot from that neck of the woods was flipping out about statues outside a Dublin hotel sans knowledge and a brain in her head, I did have to chuckle. The blind idiocy and a lack of self awareness and irony that was close to a medical condition was indeed laughable. Given she was from that neck of the woods and didn't end up like the millions of poor devils destroyed by that evil trade, the chances are very high her ancestors were involved in it and/or benefitted from it. An evil trade that the nasty White man bright a halt to, while African and Arab continued on.

As for "cultural context"; there was an article on the BBC a few years ago where another Nigerian "academic" explained this away as "their culture" and effectively they knew no better and the White Man(tm) exploited them. Well as we have come to see in the oppressed/oppressor narrative of all identity politics, the Opressed can never be at fault and have no agency.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Basically more of the same: We have our own existing social problems, so let's blindly and with gusto import more and different social problems on top. With the same naivete and nebulous "addressing of problems" that no nation who has run this busted flush has been able to address with much success, because all of them have the exact same trends. Funny that...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Cordell

Yes of course, that was my point. The white western man did not invent slavery, but it's the only one that abolished it. Maybe we deserve some recognition for that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

It seems we should all be working with the people of Rwanda to make the deportations a success, and end the business model of criminal people traffickers.

Something that is also bad for the environment, with flights back and forth and increased carbon emissions.

Rwanda calls for UK deportation scheme to be given 'a chance' after Prince Charles 'says policy is appalling' | World News | Sky News

Rwanda's government has asked for the scheme to send some illegal migrants to its country to be given "a chance", after Prince Charles is said to have privately called it "appalling".

Yolande Makolo, a spokesperson for the Kigali government, told Sky News the scheme is "well thought out" and it is the responsibility of governments of Africa to give people on the continent the chance to live "decent" lives, without the need to emigrate.

She said what was "appalling" was that migrants were risking "their lives crossing the ocean, trying to cross the desert", rather than being given the chance to have "dignified" lives in their home countries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

I saw that alright, I think for many that crack is going to be the straw that broke the camels back. My own mother is waiting for surgery that keeps being rescheduled. Both my parents have medical cards but my Dad is in so much pain we chip in to pay for him to get care for his pain management privately. I'm going to be totally honest here, I don't support any foreign soldiers or foreign anyone being flown to this country to our woefully stretched hospital services and treated ahead of Irish people. There were 5 of them over 2 days. That's 5 beds that Irish patient on waiting lists won't be occupying based on new directive. Enough with this crap already. Yeah, I feel sympathy for the Ukrainian people but only 20% of their country is at war and our government seems to be treating Ukrainians like they're the second coming of Christ.

Isn't that same Nigerian loon from a very wealthy tribe that made their money from the slave trade? Maybe I'm misremembering it but I seem to recall reading it somewhere. She's gone awfully quiet these days, thankfully.

I feel exactly the same and I will be spoiling my vote. What scares me is the amount of people, including my own family, who think that a protest vote for SF is going to make things better. Yeah, handing a terrorist organisation to shoot you in the head when you're on your knees is not a smart move, not unless you have a death wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭lmao10

I've seen a few comments and videos by Irish guys on the right saying they can't watch football now and rueing the fact that the country was buzzing after that Obafemi screamer. It really depressed them to see the stadium erupt in celebrations, not to mention every pub in the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Those types are as bad as hardcore FG/FF voters. I'm honestly yet to find one SF voter who can actually show me one policy that they are pushing that will actually improve anything. The whole thing seems to be one big mindless rebellion.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭jmreire

Just goes to show how bad people want change. And feel they have no options except to vote for SF. Everyone that I know is going the same way. They are saying why not? Could not be any worse than what we have had since the foundation of the state. Musical chairs. and what ever great politicians we have had in the past, regardless of party, that particular well of talent has been long absent.

The only changes Sinn Fein have outwardly signalled making are MORE MORE MORE of the same.

Sure there is, and the majority of posters are against the present model of multicultural /immigration that we have here in Ireland. And for everyone posting here against this model, you can be sure that there are presently thousands of people holding the same view, but they are not posting on boards or other forums. Let the politicians give them means to express their views, and you will see what people really think. But the politicians won't do that, will they DaCor? They know only too well what the results would be.

Covid was arguably a good way to measure how they'll approach things. Instead of adding some sense to the debate, they went the other way, and were nearly always arguing for even stricter policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭lmao10

Do you really think that a very small group of what seems like single older Irish men with many thousands of anti-immigration posts on an online forum is representative of the wider public? Considering the wider public have historically shown distain and mockery towards any far right agitators who try to make a run for government? Wouldn't it be much more logical to conclude that the wider public would show distain and mockery towards that group of lads on the forum? You only have to look at the results of the elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

We're early awaiting for you to back up your claims if you get a minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

'' The whole country was celebrating '' . Really !! I never noticed .

• Advertisement

I doubt that even 20% of the country were watching it, but of course the whole country were out on the streets dancing and celebrating a 3rd goal after being 2 goals up, in a competition that no one really cares about 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Dunno about you but I was…

I wouldn’t trade that kid for the world. Fact I’d throw up the drawbridge right now; keep as many at bay as possible. Mehole and the gang on the other side going heeeeeeeave………………

TomTomTim, I think you hit the nail on the head with one word there......Rebellion. The massive swing to SF is a rebellion of against the effects FF/FG monopoly in government in ireland. Same same for far too many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Its a microcosm for Ireland as a whole. If you think this approach will lead to sunshine and lollipops you are a danger to yourself and others.

It’s a microcosm of globalisation in medicine as a whole. The Irish who have left for Australia are joining the thousands of foreign immigrants there which has been going on for decades and their health system is no better than ours in terms of pay, conditions and opportunities. Same in New Zealand, the UK, etc - it’s saving Governments money to attract immigrants from other countries to fill labour shortages in the medical profession in their countries.

My point wasn’t that the practice would lead to sunshine and lollipops, my point was that the posters neighbours will be positively apoplectic if for any reason they ever need to avail of medical treatment in an Irish hospital and have to go on a waiting list, only to be treated by the same foreigners they bear resentment towards -

Your relatives who are growing increasingly resentful of foreigners will be positively apoplectic if for any reason they need medical treatment in an Irish hospital and have to go on a waiting list, only to be likely treated by the same foreigners they bear resentment towards 😬

The poster then shot back with this -

But hey perhaps you are or have availed of the array of free handouts. So maybe you're agenda is for yourself.

Which would also apply to these people -

Let our government look after their own citizens before they start trying to look after any other countries citizens.

Basically indicating that they don’t actually care about ‘our own citizens’ at all, the only thing they care about is their own ideas for Irish society. As soon as they’re done with immigrants, they’d start on our own citizens who are availing of public services and assistance provided for by the State.

Essentially, I don’t think someone is a racist unless they’re a racist. People with that attitude towards other people have issues with anyone who doesn’t see things their way, doesn’t matter whether they’re an Irish citizen or an immigrant. Irish citizens experiencing difficulties are just a handy stick to beat anyone with who doesn’t agree with their ideas. If the Irish citizens they’re referring to, also don’t agree with them, then those Irish citizens are the worst in the world too and they don’t care about Ireland and it’s future, etc, etc - “the country is fcuked”.

I can’t be arsed pointing out that people disagreeing with you doesn’t mean the country is fcuked. The country would be fcuked if people couldn’t disagree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Mr.KarateII

The last couple of years with this pandemic have proven why this Country is so screwed. There is absolutely no opposition. SF, PBP, love pretending to oppose FF/FG but they collectively kept their mouths shut for the last couple of years as we suffered lockdown after lockdown. Not one of the so called opposition dared to stand up and say "Is this really necessary?" Hell, SF think we didn't lockdown long enough and hard enough. So we would probably still be in lockdowns if they were in power.

What means of expression are blocked by politicians at the moment?

I agree. I was recently in hospital for surgery and I couldn't fault most of the staff, the only one I really had an issue with was a young Irish person, I think she was a healthcare assistant and she thought it was OK to not change the sheet when it needed to be changed, it was a young foreign nurse who pointed that out to her. The doctor who discharged me was African and gave me no discharge information, no information at all. I had to go online to the NHS website to find the information I needed. It was very noticeable that the vast majority of staff weren't Irish. Most of them were from outside of the EEU.

As I said, I have no issues at all with most of the people who treated me, I don't care where they are from as long as they are qualified and the ones that treated me are and most treated me well. Maybe it's just HSE protocol to discharge surgical patients with no information about after care. We seriously need to do something about the fact that we're spending a lot of money training Irish doctors and nurses who are leaving as soon as they can.

I don't blame them for wanting to leave but it's disgraceful that we are training them and they leave us high and dry in a situation that leaves us depending on staff who are brought in from countries outside EEU. That's not racism it's common sense to address the problem and maybe introduce a system where newly qualified medical personnel trained in Ireland are required to work here for several years in the HSE before they can leave to practice abroad.

When your only choice politically is A, B, C or D, and none of them represent your views, then effectively expression of your views is blocked.

Nah it's not just the HSE. I had a surgery a few years ago, was alone in a room at 10 o'clock when a cleaner came in and was surprised I was in the room. Waited around til noon the following day, asked at the nurses desk a few time and nothing. Only medical interaction I had at all was after a couple of nurses shrugged and said I could leave I got my stuff and as I left one of them spotted I still had the canula in my hand. Few weeks later I saw the consultant, mentioned there was zero aftercare and basically got a shrug in return. Procedure was a failure but sure **** me right? It was private as well, so no HSE excuse.

The sooner everyone realises that everyone else's number 1 priority at work is to keep their job the sooner we might actually be able to try to start fixing something. I don't see that day coming though.

• Advertisement

Nothing stopping you from forming a political party more aligned to your views so no, you are not being blocked in that sense. You even have the option to run as an independent and get elected if enough voters support your particular platform.

I'm beginning to think that it's either laziness or self-imposed isolation that is the limiting factor for some.

There is certainly no impediment, politically speaking. This is borne out by the fact we have such groups as the NP and Eirigi.

I think your issue is there is so little support for your views that there is not a sufficient amount of support as to allow any party to gain a foothold. That is not the same as being blocked.

Advertisement