Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

removing mature cordyline

Options
  • 13-06-2022 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,918 ✭✭✭✭

I have to remove this cordyline to make space for a new shed. Any suggestions (other than "get a professional" which is my plan B)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

What experience of and access to tools do you have? What kind of drop space are you working into? I think if you need to ask (especially for a cordyline which are not all that big) then you probably need to get someone to do it for you. When it is cut off to ground level you will need to get the root out/kill it as it will grow again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,918 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

experience - none, but I may be able to get access to my wife's dad who has more experience and tools.

My first thought was to cut the branches off at the top, then take the trunk down in a couple of stages leaving enough to lever out the root after digging around it. From what I've read online they don't have an extensive root system and the "wood" is quite soft, but I was hoping someone here might have first hand experience of taking one out.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Your first thought would probably be correct, but if your fil has experience of handling a chain saw or similar than get him to do it (learning to use a chain saw up a ladder and over your head isn't the best idea). I suspect you could probably do it with a decent bow saw tbh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i once removed the root of one of these (it had been killed above ground in that winter about 12 years ago) and it was like a parsnip about a metre long. i didn't have a stem left to lever with so it was just me digging deeper and deeper to eventually lift it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

That cordyline would have a deep tap root..more so than a wide root to keep it stable..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,406 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

leave it as high as possible to get the max leverage.

My go to is the car hitch if I can, with two strands of half inch nylon rope to give it a good pull before you start digging on the side away from the pull.

No need to be burning the clutch, or pulling the arse out of the car, just good and tight.

Plan B is get a 2 ton tyfor or similar block and tackle, make sure you secure the heavy piece with ropes so as it won't fly if anything snaps.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,071 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Chainsaw and car with tow hitch if there's access and space to drop it.

I'd drop it with enough stump remaining to yank on it with strong straps. I did this recently with a large shrub and the tap root snapped easily.

Biggest risk is tension in straps, then dropping the tree on yourself, then damaging the car.

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye 😜

Avoiding pruning at heights. Gravity hurts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Xander10

I had one suffer the same outcome in that winter of the mad snow. I assumed it to be completely dead and just left it. But amazingly the root recovered and today it stands taller than the one in the OP's picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

Yep they go down for miles, best bet is to dig down about a foot or so and then sever the root (they're very soft). Haven't had one regrow then.

Being from Australia they hold a lot of water, and can literally run like a tap when cut, consequently are very heavy.

It would have more than likely regrown if you'd left it, they have dormant buds at the base in case of wildfire.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Yeah, the root was still alive but it was right where the veg bed was going when we moved into the house.

no access with a car so that's not an option. I'll update when I've decided what to do, has to be gone in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭blackbox

Great if you can get the root out, but if you can't, I'd cut it to ground level. Then drill a 25 mm hole about 50mm deep and pour neat glyphosate weedkiller into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

I removed a similar sized or bigger one last year. Very easy to cut (used a standard handsaw). I made the mistake of not leaving a lot of trunk for leverage. Big lump of a root, which was a pain to get out but doable.

well, she's down... took about 2 minutes, rope and a bow-saw did the job:

just have to dig out the root now, which looks like it might be a bit of work:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Great to see it gone ! They are notorious for gripping the saw blade and making it get stuck

well, it's out of the ground, and it was by some distance the most difficult gardening job I've ever done...

I had to dig down about a metre all around it to get to a point where there was any movement at all. The further down I got the more awkward it was and I was basically scraping around the base of the trunk with a long pronged hoe, and then removing the soil with increasing difficulty:

it then took myself and my 2 teenage sons (who unlike me actually have upper body strength) heaving on it to get it rocking back and forth, and then eventually me levering it over using a 5ft crowbar I borrowed from the FIL with my back against the wall and both feet on the crowbar. I did a little dance when it finally went over and cursed whoever planted the damn thing (the previous owners I guess). Basically 2 full days of grunt to get it out.

Fair play OP, a well deserved beer afterwards i'd say

Advertisement