Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

@Madrarua1 no battery on that quote?

Walk away for 3 reasons.

1 - 8.25kWp system with no battery is ludicrous. On a good day you'll be exporting 4 times as much as you use.

2 - the price is far too high.

3 - anyone promising a 50% reduction is to be wary of. Optimistic generation estimates are the sign of a hard push salesman.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Curiousness99

You really need to look at your usage over the year, with a system like that you’d probably only generate 2k kWhs from October to March with the rest coming in summer, presumably the heat pump uses most of its 4900 kWh for those months, as above looks like you’d have bucket loads of electricity being generated may, June, July and august when you mightn’t use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Madrarua1

Thanks @DrPhilG and @Curiousness99 for the responses.

No, no battery included. They were talking about how the excess units will be able to be sold back to the grid by July/ August. But bit spectical about this.

The other quote I got from the same company was 12,500 for a 6kw system- no battery.

Looking at my bills, From November and December the daily average use was 26kwh

January and February was daily average use of 24kwh.

April 14kwh

From May to October the daily average use was 11kwh/12kwh.

From September to February I used 3747units altogether.

Any advise on what system I should get and how much it should cost?

Any recommended company in Cork?

Much appreciating all the feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

@Madrarua1 check out the list of installers on the main renewables forum page. Both prices you have received so far are rip offs.

And yes there may well be a feed in rate by the summer but its highly unlikely to be much use.

Thanks,

I'll have a look at those installers.

Do you think since I used 6300units in a year I'd need a

6Kwp in panels and a 6kwhr battery or maybe a 7Kwp in panels and a 7kwhr battery ?

I saw in a previous comment by @bullit_dodger that a house that used 4,200 units a year would need a 5Kwp in panels and a 5kwhr battery. 

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Looking at the usage on an annual basis is meaningless.

Plug in your figures into the calculator below and see how it compares to your heat pump energy requirements (Spoiler alert: the peak seasons don't align).

https://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvg_tools/en/#PVP

Thanks @Jonathan for your reply.

Are you saying that pv panels aren't compatible with the heat pump?

Or would getting PV panels with a battery be worth getting?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Its not that they aren't compatible. Solar pv generate electricity, most of it in the summer. (Nice long days!)

Heatpumps use electric.. in the winter. But the days are short and there isn't much sun.

Other point to consider is do you have a night meter, can make getting a battery more compelling if you can charge at cheaper rate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭THE ALM

@Madrarua1 just to give you a slight comparison although our panels are all facing slightly south west, this is our generation for the year so far, system only went live on Dec. which generated 170kWh

As for your quote. We have 8.16kW with an 5kWh battery, Solis inverter which was installed for €8600 after grant so you are on the high side. Don't think that price would be achievable in the current climate but it certainly hasn't risen to price you got.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

Got quoted 7.5 after grant which I think is a bit high for 3.5KW system and Huawei 6ktl Inverter,

So if I go with a no battery setup for 3.5kw system and Huawei 6ktl Inverter what is the must I should pay ?

thanks

Jaysus, I’m feeling very late to the party, best quotes I’m getting are about 11k (after grant) for the same set-up including eddi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

Yes I think it’s slightly mad ha,

i would have said 5k for the setup

• Registered Users Posts: 45,469 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I am afraid that you wont be able to get that system for 5k in today's market.

If you do please let me know! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭rameire

Got a quote, seems to be not bad I think.

House is hipped roof semi detached. My usage is just shy of 6000kWh a year.

So going on side and rear of house.

5.4kw in solar panels.

6kw hybrid inverter

5kw battery.

9500 after grant.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Yah that’s what I thought shocking price, I was quoted 30k for the wrap insulation got it for 7.5k cash in hand in the end so let’s go back to getting a few more quotes

Wow....great price for the external insulation!

Post edited by Galego on

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭steamdave

After checking with a number of companies on equipment, prices and lead times, I have placed an order with a Cork based company for

12 Solitek panels = 4.320kwp, ErgoCell hybrid inverter and a 5kWh CATL battery. Before grant = EU11200. Lead time 4 - 6 weeks.

There was one company close to home in West Cork who after several attempts to get some info and prices, couldn't be arxed to get in touch. If that was the level of experience with some other companies, I'm quite prepared to pay a little extra for decent service.

I'll comment further after installation.

Thanks to Maulbrook for his suggestions and analysis privately.

Dave

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Your very kind, thank you. Welcome to the solar club. By the way thats a exelent turn around time.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Colm82

Guys has anyone been requested to clean their roof prior to the install of panels?

I have a concrete slate roof. Little amount of moss here and there nothing major in my opinion but after sending a picture to the installer they have asked me to clean it before they'll install.

Thing is I had major renovation of the house last year including removal of two chimneys. My wife enquired with him at the time about cleaning it just to freshen up and he said leave it alone no need to touch. Trying to gauge other opinions before I go scraping moss off.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭con747

Mine was a hell of a lot worse than that and I wasn't asked to clean it. They just got on with the job.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Mr Q

I know this a quote thread and not a DIY one. But even with all the price increases for all the equipment, cables, and everything else for a non battery install would be about 80cent per watt or less. That's for a 6kW or more system as an example.

And that is retail price to me or anyone else on here, the installers will be paying less. So it is something to keep in mind if they quote 2euro per watt or close how much they are making from the job.

And I know they have overheads like insurance etc but some of them really are making a huge margin on each job.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭scunermac

Here’s my quote, which I think is good. But let me know:

4.9KW system, 13 x 380w Peimar panels,

5KW Solis (Standard, not Hybrid) inverter

Eddi

No Battery storage

EU7950 before grant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Quote is very good - can you PM me the supplier?

Note: Without a batttery you will be exporting a lot in the summer and won't be able to take advantage of night rate during the winter. It's up to you ultimately as it's your dime, but virtually everyone of the regulars here will concur with me that having a batter (even a small one) is the way to go. Forget FIT - it will be nonsense (for a variety of reasons)

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭scunermac

Thanks.

I decided against the battery as the price would essentially double if I was to add a 5KW battery (min size they install) to the system. As this installer only provide standard inverters so the additional battery they would install would need to have its own built in inverter. So I could not justify the cost increase.

Instead of the battery for storage of the excess, the idea with this system is that the excess would not be wasted, instead it is used to heat my hot water using the Eddi. Down the line I could potentially add an EV and send the excess there as well. I work from home most of the time, so I’m there during the day.

So while a battery was on my wish list at the beginning I just can’t justify the price increase and I would instead just use the excess initially for hot water. And potentially an EV down the line (when I win the lotto).

Thats my thinking right now anyway. Feel free to shatter that thought if I’ve missed something big 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

2nd quote

10 x 400w jinko tiger panels

solis 6kw inverter

Dyness 5.1kw battery

eddi

11.4k before grant

Any opinions welcome please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭rx8

If you're home during the day, you could potentially manage any excess by running the washing machine or dishwasher when the Eddi stops heating the water.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement