Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭cantalach

I’m sure you all must think I was on the crack pipe when I flew on the 16th, but I swear it’s true :) It registered with me because I had multiple tablets and a laptop in the bag (going on a work trip) and was expecting to have to unload everything. I agree it’s very weird!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Suspected you might think that.

Honestly, I don't doubt your account for a moment. Is seems you travelled in that tiny window of new security systems!

Love to know the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I'll take a puff of that please 😀. Never doubted your comment at all. It was too good to be true - hopefully it was a trial and the new system will be introduced soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Noticed Loganair did a positioning flight (I think) from Cork to Belfast last night.

I can't think of any reason why Loganair would ever need to be in Cork, but getting Cork to Belfast flights back would be very nice indeed - they would suit me down to the ground actually. Anyone heard anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

I think that was for Tom Jones. Probably his crew and equipment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Would have flown cork to belfast in mid 00 and numbers were always good. Considering Belfast has grown in popularity for a city breaks since them it actually could be a runner to bring it back.

Couldnt see ryanair doing it. Maybe whoever is replacing the aer lingus regional service might pick it up in time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭thomil

Cork Airport has just officially announced the Newcastle route on their Facebook page.

They've also announced a twice-weekly flight to Rome Fiumicino over the winter schedule, from October to March.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Cork to Rome is back. After the the social media comments the last few years calling for it hope comments are put into action and its supported. Would love to see it as a year round service

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

And the cork rome route is the min airport which is a major difference,

ryanair seem to be using a lot more main airports then before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

I assume this is year round no? It’s hardly just running through the winter is it?

Think current announcement is for oct to march but of all the routes the one with potential to go year round. Havent seen the timings yet. Not on sale till tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Bergamo, Venice, Valencia and Bordeaux have all been confirmed as year round. I’m surprised by some of those to be honest.

I’d say there is a good chance of both Rome and Newcastle joining them. Up to all of us to support the routes.

If i was still childless and living in cork city id be broke from weekends away. Long may the route news continue. Now once people can just support. Actually valencia would be a lovely weekend break around oct. Can get v hot july aug

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Paris Orly also year round with Vueling. A direct service to Berlin would be brilliant, now an odd one out in terms of major EU capital cities connected from Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

Possibly ferrying north sea oil lads over to work on the Kinsale gas field, or another company using it as a charter. There was Loganair charters for those workers regularly last year.

The Rome flight is a great addition. They need a few more city breaks for the winter. Berlin, Brussels, Prague, Copenhagen, Munich, Vienna spring to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Newcastle is a great addition.

Hopefully a link to the Southwest UK will follow e.g. a Bristol or even a Cardiff would be great as well. Both were served by Stobart and Flybe in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Whilst there's lot of route announcements, most of the times and days are complete crap tbh. Ryanair have a fair few that are late flights on a Friday or Saturday and are back like 2/3 days later so you don't actually get that long in a place. Need more going before lunch time so you get a good bit of time that day at least.

Christ some people are new happy

Sure, could say that but I'd imagine most people will end up flying out of Dublin with a morning flight rather than flying out of Cork for a flight at 5pm (or they'll do Cork to Heathrow/Schipol and connect).

Like the Ryanair Pisa and Venice flights aren't at great times for a weekend trip. If that Pisa flight was Friday morning and Venice was Saturday morning, they're a lot more attractive as you get 3 full days.

Can't imagine I'm the only who finds flying late pointless as you're paying for a nights accommodation and getting no day out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Rome flight times are definitely better - outbound Monday 06.15 or Friday 13.15. Return Monday 10.55 or Friday 13.15. Little bit tight for a weekend break but nice times if you're there Mon - Fri. Return priced from €40 in Nov / Dec.

Ya, not really ideal for a weekend break. Basically just have 2 days there. At least it's an earlier flight though on the Friday so you get a bit of the Friday evening there. Wish the other flight was Tuesday instead of Monday. Would be strong then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

I personally prefer evening over early morning flights even with the expense of an extra night in a hotel. I hate early morning flights. I'm always wrecked by the time I arrive and end up having to go to bed really early and get very little done. I suppose if you can function off very little sleep, early morning flights are fine but they're not for me. The only time I take early AM flights is when I have no choice or the cost of accomodation is too high to justify an extra night.

8 to 11 am flights are optimum as you don't have to get up too early and you still get at least half a day. There's not many of them though.

Ya, I'd definitely prefer a flight around 8-9am as you still get the full day but don't have to be up before 6am then, but I'd still take a flight at 6am over one at 6pm on the outbound side. For a 2/3 night weekend break, you need to maximise the amount of time there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭notAMember

They're aimed at business travel more than weekend breaks. Business travel from Cork continues to grow with the multinational footprint.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

didn't think Ryanair 'catered' for business travellers when allocating flight times..... most business travellers would avoid Ryanair!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭notAMember

Yeah it's the last option, needs an exception, but when no-one else supplies a flight, it's better than multi-leg.

If they can get good support for the monday and friday starting off then maybe another day might be added to the schedule. There is a sizeable italian community in cork too which should help the demand as well as holiday makers/weekend trippers

Post edited by lisasimpson on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭thomil

Depends on the route, I think. Stansted seems to be very popular with business travelers. I think that one is helped by the fact that Stansted Express terminates right in the centre of the financial district at Liverpool Street station. I’ve done that trip myself, my employer’s London office is literally a three-minute walk from that station, and the flight carried a surprising number of passengers who were definitely not Ryanair’s classic clientele!

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

My weekends only consist of two days, so I'm delighted with those kinds of times!

Advertisement