Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silage 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Just no window to cut coming here, have over half made but waiting to cut the last of it, i've no time for wet silage, whatever quality i'll lose by leaving it i can live with, it'll still be fine as a maintenance feed for sucklers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Right there on making wet silage, nout will ever want to eat it, at least if you can get it dry, even the quality is gone, it will be eaten without them turning their noses at it, when compared to wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭straight

I never noticed such a difference between wet and dry silage. Dry stuff can go mouldy and cause listeria. Not saying you're wrong though. I have wet pit silage this year and I'll see how it goes. Was more pissed off with it last year because it was overgrown and over dry I thought. There wasn't a drop of effluent out of it. Plenty effluent this year. 🤦 Am going to test the pit this year for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭DBK1

At this stage of the year, unless it was grazed tight at the end of April, quality is non existent anyway so wet or dry isn’t really going to make a difference, it’ll only be a maintenance feed anyway.

We mowed some first cuts today that weren’t grazed this year and it’s very poor quality. We mowed the first bit of second cut today also and I know what I’d rather be feeding to stock in the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭cjpm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Don't know fully about that, grass growing over the winter turns hungry stock into fine stock when grazed , can't see how wrapping it up for winter feed makes it useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,599 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Mowed ours yesterday. Was grazed for a month by milkers and fertiliser/slurry out end of April and may bank holiday weekend. Looks good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

The difference there is grass grown over the winter would be eaten in March. It’s June now

put cattle into that meadow now and they would only pick at the tops of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Katie 2018

Mowed down Friday evening with the hope yesterday was to be good.light rain on an off.rowed up now to be baled today. Met Eilean out by a mile had no rain forecast an light rain overnight aswell😡

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭StevenToast

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

I never noticed such a difference between wet and dry silage. 

I have to agree with you here.

I've seen sapping wet silage devoured by well fed cows.

I'm starting to think some here are eating the silage themselves

We mowed the first bit of second cut today also and I know what I’d rather be feeding to stock in the winter.

Depends on the stock.

Suckler cows don't need it over the Winter.

Are you Finishing beef or milking cows with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Everyone here wants perfection for their silage, it just goes with trying to do the best for your stock. If we can get to 80-90% off the way we are doing well, you never will get perfection, but striving for it is the key. The biggest factor for most is not cutting silage early enough. This year it was cut at the end of may, cut in the morning and picked up that afternoon. A heap of effluent out of it, but the positive is that it is out of it and quality is there. If I had my own way of doing silage I would be striving for better, but thats the drawback of using a contractor. They are under enough pressure from every angle, farmers, staff, bills and the weather.

Will I go at my own silage, God no, the sums don't add up and never will here

• Registered Users Posts: 11,590 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Baling stuff here today that was grazed just up to the New year.

11 acres, 153 bales. It'll be better than a ball of snow.

Back to the good ole days with the big tonnages. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

If you have effluent coming off the bales then the quality is not going to be good. That effluent is the nutrients, protein and sugars. The stuff was too fresh and wet by the sounds of it. Cutting and baling the one day is really only doable in hot dry weather and even then it would still need 10-12 hours wilt for perfection

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Fed 77dmd pit silage that was 35% dm last winter to stores. They done a serious thrive on it even though it was damp to the touch.

Got caught out with bad showers this year so silage will be wetter but what can be done now. They’ll have no choice only to eat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭grange mac

Seen bales yesterday for neighbour with effluent coming out of them... Surprised as was cut dry and baled on super sunny following day.... Bales stacked 3 high so bottom bales massively sagging with all weight on them.

I doubt that now

Made wet and dry silage,wilted and not wilted for decades here without too many problems

By saying a run off the silage is bad,You may aswell say that wilting the silage is evaporating all the nutrients into the air too or that brewers are no good because the pints are in a keg

All of it is looking for something to worry about in my opinion

• Advertisement

By saying a run off the silage is bad,You may aswell say that wilting the silage is evaporating all the nutrients into the air too

Yeah I'm curious about that.

Mowing and ensiling immediately (regardless of moisture content) is the best preservation of nutrients I would have thought

I certainly agree with you here

All of it is looking for something to worry about in my opinion

Its all reliant on an uncontrollable variable (weather), and lads are either loosing their lives or waving their mickeys around about the great silage they have.

In the grand scheme of things do your best, but if the weather beats you and you end up baling silage that's wringing wet every bit of it will be eaten if its ensiled properly.

When you have effluent from a bale it is the nutrients, proteins and sugars, you can see the dark colour. In Denmark they feed that effluent to pigs as it has a very high feed value. We've all got caught making Silage in bad weather or too fresh, **** happens but it isn't good Silage.

When you wilt Silage the only thing that leaves is water, but the DMD rises significantly. The only issue with wilting is if it is overdone then some of the Sugars get converted to carbohydrates, but not a detrimental thing to happen as it's all feed.

The argument you are making about pints, brewers and kegs is that of a right Langer.

And what you are saying in my humble opinion is nonsense

The only run I do not like in silage is from rain

No sense drawing in trailers of sky water

Nonsense Really? ah fcuk off so and don't be replying to me

Post edited by Easten on

Local man here made silage years ago with the rain running out of the trailers. He won the prize in the co op that year for the best silage. Anything is better than over grown or over dry mouldy stuff.

For your theory to be absolute, brewers grains would have to be useless and hay

The leaf has shrivelled in the latter and virtually all moisture evaporated,whilst rivers of nutrients are gone from the grain

It is nonsense to dismiss Silage with a run off it when it's not rain

If you don't mind,I'll be kind unlike you and file your opinion, thank you,in along with 1000's on farming,some of which I agree with some I don't

Millions of opinions especially in farming

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭AnF Chuckie egg

. wrong form, apologies

Post edited by AnF Chuckie egg on

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭trabpc

For the very situation your were in is the very reason you should at least have some way of mowing your own. Mowing in morning is a no no. And baling same day!!.. your paying for baling water.

Silage should be mowed in afternoon

For bales grass should be also be tedded.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,661 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Research a few years ago showed that cattle on silage alone do better on high DM silage compared to low DM silage. During the winter silage is consumed at 4-10C. Low DM silage will have a lower temp right throughout the bale( water is a conductor) as opposed to high DM silage( the higher the DM the greater the insulating effect).

An animal eating low DM silage @ 20% DM compared to eating it a 40% must consume twice as much fodder to achieve the same intake. So a 600 kg animal consuming 12kgs of DM per day will need 30kgs of the high DM as opposed to 60kgs low DM. All this consumes energy.

An animal stomach operates at about 40% DM so in the low DM case 18L of water needs to be bought to body temp to be disposed of. However on top of that even with low DM silage an animal will drink a certain amount of clean water to clean out there system which again has to leave at body temp

Sometimes this issue is hidden by animals consuming high DM rations which can be 15-20% of there feed intake. But you are still burning energy

Most research by Teagasc is all about DMD no research has been done on DM except for a small project on rations and high DM silage.

This also translates into some of the research into grazing heights in dairying where rations and fiber products are fed. It also is the reason that a diet feeder can be seen to improve feed conversion as each animal gets the exact same at often at or near the right DM all the time.

Dry silage dose not equate to mouldy silage. However it is much easier to preserve pit silage at lower DM than high DM. Bale silage overcomes that issue. It's interesting that in warmer countries hay is considered an excellent product. This is because it can be saved when grass is at or before flowering stage as opposed to waiting for weather which leads to hay made in Ireland being a completely different product to the high DM and DMD product made in these warmer climates. These climates also allow the preservation of leavier products like Alfalfa.

Finally there is the animal effect. This is really noticeable in cows. There stomach shrinks as a calf gets bigger especially in the 3-5 weeks of gestation. Low DM product can lead them to not being able to consume enough DM to maintain themselves.

In Ireland the obession about high DMD silage has being pushed by Teagasc without complete research. It's accepted gospel. No cost benefit analysis was completed either. It's similar to there grazing height research where they transferred this straight to beef and calf rearing and only practical application by drystock farmers have changed some of that thinking.

Finally on rain on silage. Yes rain will wash nutrients out of grass. Effluent is full of nutrients and feed value. Cutting grass dry and wilting it without rain will maintain the energy and nutrients within the product. As grass gets to the hay/haylage stages the sugars in the grass are carbonated. Where large amounts of ration are fed this can tend to scour animals. However where only silage is fed it's is not an issue.

The way you know an animal is thriving is look at there dung. Either too dry or too loose then thrive is impacted. If you even finish cattle you want that to be a kind of dryish creamy consistency.

So personally in my beef system which is a summer based finishing system I aim to graze silage fields in the spring. Close in late March early April. I fertlize for a cutting date of the 25th May but will not cut in wet weather and will accept reduction in DMD to achieve a high DM product as it's cheaper to make. I will not begin to worry until the 1st June at which stage I will take whatever weather window I get. As well first cut in my scenario is generally a much superior product to second cut therefore I want to maximize it. My second cut can vary more because my land can suffer from drought and I may struggle to get June growth, this year is different.

On the legendary tedding. It's only necessary where you are carrying out a smash and grab. If grass is but dry ideally in evening time when sugars are at there highest, left for 48 hours at least depending on weather and raked 8 hours before baling tedding has little impact it's just another cost

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

I remember when baled silage came in first the advice was to bale it a day from hay. That's called haylage now. Your right about that research only looking and focussing on a part of the picture. The best silage test result is the performance.

Advertisement