Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Circle k own Brand Charger rollout

Options
  • 11-06-2022 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭

Update from Circle K regarding the new charger they are installing on the M9 J5 outside Carlow as well as current future plans for installs.

Hello,

We hope to have the charger in J5 Carlow available in the coming weeks. We still have some works to complete there with regards to the upgrade of the Electricity supply. Some of the works have been delayed due to the sourcing of materials, however we hope to be live by the end of summer.

We currently have 3 more sites in various stages of build.

Two charging stalls in Fermoy on the M8

Two charging stalls in City Avenue Dublin

Four charging stalls in Clonshaugh on the M50 / M1 intersection. 

The latter two are still in the planning process and due to network capacity challenges will be slightly later to finish then Fermoy or Junction 5.

We are also actively looking at expanding the Circle K network into other key motorway service areas and large transport hubs.

They have one 50kW charger in Athlone motorway services for past few years. It's free to use but has been mostly broken lately. Most of content here taken fr.a Facebook post by someone who contacted them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Those dublin ones are going to be welcome for sure.

I find there's a sparse lack of fast chargers in Dublin for someone doing Dublin return.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭innrain

Absolutely. Those up Northside will release the high pressure around the airport. Ecars-stats doesn't work at the moment but Clonshaugh charger never drops under 13h average usage per day. Increasing power from 50kW to 150+kW should have been a priority for ecars as that would have provided better value. We start H2 of '22 in 2 weeks with just on HPC in Dublin. (that is if the Sandyford SuC doesn't open end of quarter) That is absolutely for the Guinness Book. There are more HPCs on Faroe Islands or Reykjavic, Iceland, both islands nations with less population than us. Unfortunately it seems we're looking at next year to see them live. These on N7 at J3 would be a nice addition and competition to Ionity J7/J8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭denismc

I like that the capacity of the unit is printed on the side so it's obvious what you are getting, unlike the Esb chargers which all look the same from a distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

It's CCS only on one side and then on the other side it's CCS/Chademo, probably only one of those latter 2 can be used simultaneously

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,356 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Yes,

Side 1 is CCS only, Side 2 is CCS or CHAdeMO.. It's basically how the eCars 150kW units should be configured (if they insist on having a CHAdeMo plug on them).

I think the 4 units in Clonshaugh will absolutely clean up between airport runs, taxi's, and people coming to Dublin/City from the northern half of the country, putting a nice big fill into a warm battery to get them home again..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,436 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I agree, that config is the best of both worlds IMO

Just needs to be a second unit so it isn't SPOF

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Between this charger and the planned Maxol Hub at Ballycoolin it's nice to see service station operators filling gaps in the network. Maybe this will free up eCars resource to build Taxi Hubs on behalf of the NTA (I can only dream that the NTA would fund such a thing)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,821 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

It'll be a taxi hub in jig time!! I was at the airport on Saturday morning and there was a leaf on the 50kw charger and 2 EV's waiting behind it (all taxi's).

My local circle k constantly has taxi's charging on the CCS. It's a no brainer for them in terms of running costs. It's just a bit more difficult for the rest of us to get a quick charge but that's not the taxi drivers fault to be fair to them.

• Advertisement

The 2 hotels onsite in Clonshaugh should really be hunting the likes of Ionity/Tesla to install units on their sites….

It’s such a strategic location (as evidenced by Circle K going straight in with 4 units), and I wonder will those units be the same as what’s gone in on the M9…. As in it’ll actually be an 8 car hub?

I wonder what it means for the eCars 50kW unit on the same site? Is it toast now?

I doubt it's toast. I've been at some sites recently with 4 ionity and one ecars, and all occupied and even a brief queue a couple of times. It's getting busier out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

There is a Tesla Supercharger site announced for North Dublin (the Tesla website seems to indicate the Northwood area, probably near Homebase). This is planned for Q4 2022 (depending on Ana and her cousin to connect them up to the grid 😀).

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Dubwat

There are taxi-only chargers dotted around the country but there is very little info about them - all this taxi driver knows about them was learned from a poster on this site!

In Dublin, there are 2 taxi-only chargers at Heuston (only 1 works properly) and 3 or 4 inside the taxi-holding area inside Dublin airport. AFAIK, these are restricted to permit-holders only so 90% (?) of taxis dropping off at the airport have to drive away without passengers and a quick charge. In Dublin, you need a plugsurfing account to use them.

In Cork, I believe there are some at the train station and some at the airport (but the airport ones might have been withdrawn). There might also be some in Limerick.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058222637/taxi-only-ev-chargers/p1 (Dec 2021)

@zg3409 wrote:

Taken from another thread

There is taxi only 50kW chargers at Dublin Airport, Dublin Heuston Train Station, Cork Airport, Cork Train Station, Limerick Train station. Most were installed a year ago and are active. I added them all to plugshare app. You need plugsurfing app to activate and pay. Some are accessible to non taxis such as heuston station and Cork Airport, others like Dublin airport are behind a barrier in the Taxi only queue.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

In Dublin, there are 2 taxi-only chargers at Heuston (only 1 works properly) and 3 or 4 inside the taxi-holding area inside Dublin airport. AFAIK, these are restricted to permit-holders only so 90% (?) of taxis dropping off at the airport have to drive away without passengers and a quick charge. In Dublin, you need a plugsurfing account to use them.

Yep, it's a real shame. NTA should be developing multiple charger hubs in reasonable proximity to taxi ranks. TFL did it in London and it looks like a model that works well. It has the added benefit of cleaning up city air and exposing people to EVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Genghis

Sorry if I missed it ... but do we have details on cost for the new units and if Circle K require its own app etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭innrain

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Ugh. I'll fix that now. Happening more often these days. Might just be time to pay up for a more powerful server.

All gone quiet on the CircleK front..... They told me end of the summer for M9/Carlow but nada since and the unit is in since June!, have any other chargers started going in?

Post edited by AndyBoBandy on

They didn't say which summer 😉

Haven't been past Clonsaugh in a few weeks but there wasn't anything happening last I looked

Definitely seems to have gone quiet on the Circle K front

• Advertisement

Looks like the M9 charger is being covered up to keep it dry……

a sign it’s about to be turned on???

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Bovakinn

I think they put it in such a silly place though, the queue for Mcdonald's is bumper to bumper right past it most evenings.

Nothing new happening in Clonsaugh I'm afraid to report.

Circle K are definitely losing the race to Applegreen at this rate

Advertisement