Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Where did I mention the ref? I'm not knocking the balls off him! Just pointing out that he's not "world class". He's been average. God forbid anyone criticize our players! No point in not saying what's valid! Porter was poor v Tigers, awful v La Rochelle and poor against Toulouse. He's obviously a weak scrummager on the lh side atm. It's not like it's invisible! To say he was dominant v Glasgow means what? When it mattered, Porter vanished.

True! This exactly! Get back to the drawing board and get it on!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

The jury is still out on Porter and there's no other way but to think that the switch has not worked out, so far. In my opinion, he's been poor, to the point that he's a liability.

He was awful v La Rochelle even though the penalty count was 2 against and 1 for and a free kick to us while he was on the pitch? The scrum was in more trouble after her went off. He played nearly the full game on Friday v a SA team that was expected to destroy us in the scrum. While winning several penalties. Is he the best loosehead in the world at the moment, no. Does that make him a liability, not even close. If a player isn’t the best in the world or heaven forbid makes a few mistakes. They are suddenly sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

La Rochelle/R92

Gloucester/Sale next season

So it seems anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭ironingbored

People seem to underestimate how difficult it is to win a Champions Cup especially so away in France.

Look at the money Man City & PSG have spent and they're yet to win a UCL!

I really hope that Sean O'Brien can come in and work on getting our back row to jackal more. We've really missed those 2 or 3 key jackal turnovers in recent years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I agree with this. Everyone is looking for a narrative but the fact is Leinster lost the two games by an aggregate of 4 points and absolutely could have won both. There's nothing imo that needs to be fundamentally ripped up and thrown out. There are some obvious things that require work like the set piece but this is clearly something that can be worked on and improved.

I think the biggest looming problem (same for Ireland) is at 10. It's only 2 games after a career of being really good for Leinster but Ross Byrne just did not step up against La Rochelle or the Bulls. I wonder if the coaches will re-evaluate and think of Frawley or H.Byrne instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,651 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Frawley has been Leinsters best player this season. Doris' knock ons have been killing us but as someone said, that's partly because our scrum is a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

As a general observation on Leinsters season and where performance can improve, I think they really need to look at what's happening to Luke McGrath. If your sub scrum can't come on and make a positive contribution to the game there's a big issue.

Over the last 12 months the quality and consistency of his passing has fallen off a cliff. I think it was the Glasgow game that really showed had bad it has become. He was on for just 20 minutes, but at least 3 of his passes went to ground before they reached the intended target. And he also had a few more high, loopy ones which the receiver had to jump for.

McGrath still has his positives. He's a great reader of the game and constantly pops up to receive an offload and keep attacks going. But that's not enough to make up for the shortfall in his passing game.

That's true enough! But, you can't possibly think that he's able to hold his own against those tight head props that are a cut above. He's been a liability in my opinion. He was mangled v Antonio, struggled against Toulouse. I'm not saying he won't improve! Just that he's not with it and is struggling. His bind looks to be problematic?

Is he the best loose head for Leinster? Of course he's the best player for the position and will improve. My point is, that he is not as dominant or good as I believe he was a tight head.

It's obvious that Leinster were targeted by the opposition for their scrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭OldRio

So Leinster lose 2 matches by a combination of 4 points and you pin this on Lancaster. Words nearly fail me. Those defeats ultimately came down to poor decisions made by players.

As for Lancaster? It could be argued that Leinster wouldn't have been playing in the European final and the semi final of the URC without the input of Lancaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

It's obvious that Leinster were targeted by the opposition for their scrum

What does this even mean?

That the opposition tried to push as hard as they could at scrum time?

In what rugby game does that NOT happen?

Was Porter really mangled by Atonio? That is genuinely not my recollection of the match, I thought he did just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

I just hope the coaching staff aren't as in denial about our issues as some are here.

If anyone at this stage still doesn't think that we seriously struggle when teams go out to kick the sh*t out of us, then there's no point in trying to convince them anymore.

And as for people denying that Porter is having scrum issues...people are honestly living in cuckoo land.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I see "not agreeing with me" is now "denial".

Thankfully I have faith in the coaching staff to see the colossal difference in the two losses to LAR and identity the problems from this year rather than being obsessed by the ones from last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Lancaster's the coach. Coaching is the biggest influence. I'm analysing the situation as I see it. Most other posters tend to critique players more. I think coaching is the thing that really determines how well a team does.

And it's not just two results. It's the continuation of a trend. I was saying the same thing last year. Lancaster has his strengths and weaknesses. I'm a fan of a lot of the work he's done. He's brilliant at developing players. And Leinster are a far more formidable outfit with him on board compared to the rabble they were when Cullen was coach in '15/'16. But you can't overlook the fact that his Leinster and England teams have almost invariably just missed out when it comes to winning the HC and the 6N, respectively. How can you say I'm basing it on two results? I'm talking about four 6N Championships and six Heineken Cup tournaments.

It's getting to the point where Leinster are like the Clermont of some years ago. They're not as good anymore, but there was a time when they would look incredibly formidable in the pool stages and quarter finals, but then find ways of losing games when it really mattered.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,026 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I agree and appreciate that its tough to win. My concern is that we're missing what's needed by fine margins too frequently now and it's becoming concerning.

If people are happy with us being 'nearly there', then so be it, but Leinsters goal is to win in Europe so anything less is a failure to meet its expectations. We're not a plucky team punching above our weight so we shouldn't be happy to be a final four team.

Losing is part of the game and it happens, even when we might play better. But consistently losing, again and again when it matters in the big games is becoming a painful trend and it needs to be fixed. Nobody can argue with that.

I'm not suggesting that individuals take the fall (whether it's coaching ticket or talent) as that's far too knee-jerk, but there's a mentality or ability issue in the team and the "ah it just wasn't our day" explanation is nonsense and ignoring the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I think that there is more going on than Porter. If it was just him, things would improve when he went off. Yes he probably has vulnerabilities that are being exposed. He’s still learning, that’s to be expected. Though there may be a wider issue too. Like the one we previously had when Saracens took us apart. Where they had to change how the whole 8 engage, to fix it. These things happen, then get sorted.

"ah it just wasn't our day" explanation is nonsense and ignoring the issue.

That's fair enough, but equally there is a bit of over-reaction to what were two very narrow defeats to two very good sides.

There is plenty that we could have done better, some of them were one offs and others more systemic. You can be damn sure the coaches are more aware of these issues than anyone here.

But I'd still rank us the best team in Europe and we shouldn't lose sight of the fact that 95% of the season was very successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

The best team in Europe that hasn't won any of the last four European Cups 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭leakyboots

You'd rank yourselves as the best team in Europe when you lost the final and got knocked out of the league semi-final?

That's a bit of a reach now.

The narrative that Leinster can't compete with physical sides has become absurd. I've even seen posts declaring the pack to be soft, which is just stupid.

In both their recent defeats, Leinster have more than held their own physically. There were prolonged periods of time where they won collisions, put huge pressure on the opposition and eked out penalties. The pack isn't an issue in my eyes.

The biggest issue facing Leinster is what they do when physical dominance isn't weighted in their favour. Silly mistakes creep into their game like dropped catches, offloads thrown which shouldn't have been etc. That's a mental issue rather than a physical one.

We desperately need work in the set piece though. Power helps there of course, but the scrum and lineout is far more about correct technique than anything else.

• Advertisement

Well yeah, to be honest I would.

La Rochelle beat us in the European final. Are they the best team in Europe? If so, how come they just got beaten by Toulouse, a team who got hammered by Leinster and only fell over the line against Munster?

Are the Bulls (not actually a European team of course) better than us? No, I don't think so.

If you look at the season as a whole, or the last few seasons as a whole, then yes, Leinster are the best team in Europe. Looking ahead to next season, Leinster are bookies' favourites for both URC and Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

Losing is part of the game and it happens, even when we might play better. But consistently losing, again and again when it matters in the big games is becoming a painful trend and it needs to be fixed. Nobody can argue with that.

I think there's more nuance to this point that you're missing. Yes, since we last won the European Cup in 2018, we've lost when it has really mattered in Europe. The reality for Leinster right now is that only the very best teams are realistically capable of beating us, so if we lose at all, it will only be when it really matters. Unfortunately for us, that has meant that we have experienced heart break mostly in semi-finals and finals.

But those losses ignore some incredible performances and wins against top tier European teams like Leicester and reigning champions Toulouse this season, reigning champions Exeter last year, and Toulouse twice in 2019. We're winning the big games more often than we're losing them. It's just outrageously difficult to continually churn out those top tier performances time and time again.

I think despite this being our first season without a trophy in five years, we have shown a lot more evolution in our game plan and established a distinct and effective style of play that looks like it will see us through in the big games, and honestly should have delivered the double for us in 2022.

But that's elite sport. If you're 1% or 2% off your best, that can be the difference. Our issues this season weren't being overpowered or outplayed, it was poor decision making and sloppy errors. Looking at La Rochelle, Sexton kicks that ball instead of running it in our 22, we probably win that game. Keenan kicks it after Sexton offloads it to him, we win that game. Jimmy O'Brien doesn't touch the ball as it goes dead, we win that game. Any one of those moments goes our way and we're European champions again. Those are the margins.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Leinster beat Racing in 2018, Sarries beat you in the final in 2019, knocked you out in the quarters in 2020, La Rochelle have knocked you out in the semis in 2021 and beat you in the final this year but Leinster are the best in Europe in the past few years?

Leinster have won one European title in 10 years and lost two finals.

Sarries won 3 and lost another 1 in that time, got rightly f**ked out and are back towards at the top of their league now. Had they not I don't think we'd be having this conversation, but that's ifs and buts.

As for LAR, sure Munster used blow the league after winning a Heineken Cup. Leinster did it in 2011 against us. I don't think it's a massive shock that a team winning their first European Cup don't shoot the lights out in games after it.

Leinster didn't make enough hay while Sarries were out, I think they will be back in the mix now next season I reckon as well as the SA teams plus Toulouse/Racing/LAR, I wouldn't have Leinster as clear favourites personally, it's between a bunch of teams, as it has been for the last few years. Leinster will be in the mix if they can keep Sexton fit, the lack of a decent backup at his level is one of their biggest issues.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Those silly mistakes are a symptom of losing the physicality battle, they are not a mental issue.

In Leinster's case it's not that they are being tackled and smashed back 5metres every time they try to carry, or that they run into a brick wall in every carry, it's the more subtle variant of physical dominance where a team is forced into making more risky plays because they can't run their basic ones how they'd like. They aren't being beaten up; they're just being put under so much pressure that things go wrong.

The score at the end of the game also came from LAR physical dominance. The fact they were able to keep the ball there for so long, without getting turned over, without having to give away a penalty is the sign of a side that's in control. Do you think a less physically impressive side would be able to do that to Leinster? No chance, eventually the wrong player would end up carrying or a key player would be at the bottom of a ruck somewhere and Leinster would turn it over.

So when people say "we only lost cause of 1 score at the death", yes this is true, but that 1 score at the death happened because LAR pack had the upper hand.

Is the Leinster pack soft? No, of course not. Do Leinster struggle if teams can get even close to physical parity? IMO, it's not an unreasonable suggestion. That super quick ruck ball that Leinster thrive on is entirely dependent on forwards dominating the game.

What will take Leinster to the next level is a big unit of a second row or a back row. Moloney is a weak link in that team.

I agree with most of what you're saying. Leinster definitely struggle against sides that can match them up front. The point I'm making is that I've seen too many arguments made online about Leinster just being beaten up and having no reply to it. Like you say, it's more nuanced than that.

However, I still think mental issues are the predominant problem. You're right that La Rochelle and the Bulls exerted significant pressure on us and we struggled. But they weren't overwhelmingly physical to the point where we couldn't cope. There were plenty of occasions in both fixtures when Leinster generated the quick ball required for their intricate multi phase attack and the defensive line wasn't in a position to rush up, but simple errors were made regardless.

Bernard Jackman made a good point that Leinster, over the last few weeks, have not used their bench well. Especially for replacements in the pack. For example, in the Champions Cup final Joe McCarthy came on in the 77th minute. And in last weekends game Rhys Ruddock came on in the 65th minute. Andrew Porter and Dan Sheehan played almost the entire semi final as well. We've never been shy about bringing Ross Byrne on early for Sexton, but there seems to have been a greater reluctance with the pack.

I know there's an argument that McCarthy is incredibly young and maybe he's not quite ready for that level of fixture. But it was clear that from about the 60th minute onwards, La Rochelle were really beginning to exert pressure on us and our forwards were tiring. McCarthy is a physically imposing player, despite his young age. He would surely have been more of a positive than leaving a tiring Molony on for most of the game? It's the same story with Ruddock and the front row subs against the Bulls. Came on too late to really make an impact.

Over the last few years, Leinster has done a brilliant job in building squad depth. But over the last few weeks I think they've not shown as much faith in those players as they maybe should have. They recognised their mistake with McCarthy which is why he started against the Bulls, and actually played quite well.

And if they think those guys were unable to make an impact then it's time to start really bringing through the next generation of young players who maybe could have the desired impact ala Soroka.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I'd agree with a lot of that, but Leinster were very unlucky that Al'alatoea wasn't given that turn over. Could also be argued with a different ref that final 10mins goes quite differently, one way or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Itxa

The problem for me isn’t so much that we are far off winning, it’s the way in which we play and win that gets to me. We used to have Contepomi who would run from our own try line, now we have a very determined but athletically challenged out half in Sexton  trying to run loops after 13 years of the same thing. 

We seem to churn out the youngsters but how many of them are brought under the coaches wing and allowed to grow. It’s all instant gratification and robotic rugby without any nuance or accent. 

It’s like production line of very small gnarled underdogs and I don’t like it. True they offer the length of field run ins but how good has the opposition been over the last thirteen years that they have done that against. They need to be allowed to develop physically and rotation doesn’t seem to be reaping rewards in that direction.

Our scrum was weak! We were driven back several times and Porter was turned in to his right! Porter is going to need work at his binding.

• Advertisement

Indeed! Would this be in McBryde's wheelhouse?

Advertisement