Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dole 'summer bonus' .. are they for real?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭storker

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Pontius Pilates appointed by Tiberius in the Scratch Office in Bishop Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

No matter what fooks up are made in state services in Ireland, no matter who is screwing the system and the taxpayers, no matter how many career welfarists and how many want forever homes at others expense, no matter how many people are screwed over by our lax justice system, there are always ones to come out to condone and excuse it.

No wonder this country is so fooked up when we have a shower of shytes that welcomes the ordinary decent law abiding and especially contributing members of society getting screwed over.

I am not allowed discuss …

Are you getting screwed over jmayo? Tell us all about it.

Tell us about the hundreds and thousands and possibly millions of career welfarists and the limitless forever homes. Let it all out, and make sure not to exaggerate while you're at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭monseiur

Consider this senario :

Mark is 24, works as a barman, lives at home with his parents, his weekly take home wage is say €450 His longterm girlfriend Jane is 23 works as a shop assistant, lives at home, weekly take home wage of €400

Jane becomes pregnant, when the baby is born she becomes a fulltime mother, has to move out & find a place of her own to live which will be paid for by SW Mark would like to get married and for them to be a complete family under one roof, but if they marry Jane will loose the rent allowance, medical card, fuel allowance and all other related benefits. So it's not financially practicle for Mark to get married with an income of €450 - he can only dream of buying his own house, even saving enough for a deposit is mission impossible. But if Mark was unemployed he could afford to get married, the total actual weekly income to his household would increase, SW would pay his rent, he and his family would qualify for all the numerous fringe benefits that come with being on welfare and not have to get up early in the morning (to quote Varadker!) or work late unscoial hours in the pub. In the fulness of time his first born daughter has a child at 19, moves out and the whole saga continues......and yet another generation becomes a burden on an almost bankrupt state..............in the meantime we ''import'' workers to do the work of the Mark & Jane's of this country in pubs, shops, hotels etc. There is something seriously rotten with the whole system that rewards unemployment instead of employment - it seriously needs a root & branch transformation.

• Advertisement

Actually, the latest CSO Labour Force Review stat release (Q1 2022) has the long-term unemployed at 43,700 (1.7 percent of labour force), lower than the 2021 figure quoted earlier. So declining towards the lowest ends of of comparable EU economies.

This is what the folks on the thread are losing their sh*t over. Long term unemployment heading towards its lowest level, but the right wing conspiracy that it's under every rock growing in the opposite direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Ridiculous comment.

Im not against raising welfare rates but what is the knock on effect?

Taxes go up on people working or services are cut, or we borrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

Yurt there are people manipulating the system. No one should be allowed gain from the state on an ongoing basis unless they are sick or unable to work.. Our welfare is actively competing with work with the levels been thrown at some people. I will give you my experience, 2 nieces both sisters. One the older girl 29 now been in and out of a few relationships, went to college paid her way all the time and currently paying 1000 euro for a room (a little bigger than a single room) in a house there in Rathmines but its close to everything for her as she cant afford to upgrade her car while saving for a house. She never asks for help and pays her way in a good job earning about 100k a year. She has told me unless she meets the right fella earning similar she wont have a house for at least another decade. She goes out maybe once/twice a month for a few beers due to affordability and tries to get away once a year and can only afford once a year. Her younger sibling 26 a completely different take on life , 4 different kids from 3 dads, been in a house in Lucan paid for by the state for the last 3 years, its a 3 bed if you were to pay rent on it your talking easily 2.5k a month, she has already been on to the powers that be to say that her new baby means she needs a bigger gaff and apparently she will be getting this by the end of the summer. she doesn't work gets all the state cash, has her latest baby daddy living with her and he works and she also gets maintenance under the table from both the other 2 dads. She has the best of gear, new car every 2/3 years and 3/4 holidays a year.

Now you tell me if your a young girl that is a bit lazy and does not like to work and looking at the above why would you bother doing anything other than opening your legs?

Consider this:

Long term unemployment is falling. You could barely half fill Croke Park with the number making up LTU.

• Advertisement

Young girl opening her legs eh? What a charming post.

Here's something for you, there's actually less long term unemployed than you want there to be.

You're powered by some sort of fantasy land of hundreds of thousands of people on the take. The reality is a lot more sober, and it makes your skeezy and a bit disturbing post about young women with their legs akimbo look all the sillier.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I blame all those corrupt GPs and Consultants who falsify thousands of medical reports just so they can get their hands on the Christmas bonus. It's rife!

There are more jobs out there than people on the LTU if they are fit and of able bodied and able to do the job why should they get paid social welfare even if the number is one person?

Because that's a Simple Simon take on Long term unemployment.

You'd rather talk about young women with their legs open for some reason.

Regardless of charm or not this is whats happening. We have more jobs not being filled than able bodied people on the dole tong term surely they should be told to train, educate and take one of these jobs instead of us having to pay for them ye know let them pay their own way. One able bodied person on the dole long term and not taking up work is one person too many

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

However, you seem to ignore the fact that there are more people disabled in Ireland than elsewhere in the EU, and that we have a huge cohort of households with no adult working. These are missed in those figures.

Posting about young women with their legs open and obsessing about their fertility choices is creeper stuff.

I'm not having this conversation with you, there's better quality ones to be had elsewhere.

One car accident is one too many, but I'm not going to spend my life waiting for an Ireland where they're eradicated or indeed post weird sh*t on the internet about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭storker

One fix for this is UBI, but then you'd get the very same people who complain about the massed waves of dole scroungers complaining about people getting something for nothing. Under a UBI system Mark and Jane wouldn't be penalised for getting married and wouldn't feel the need to give up his job, although he would be paying more tax on his earnings. When ready, Jane could get back into the workforce gradually without jeopardising her benefits, because she's only getting what everyone else is getting and it's unrelated to their employment status.

God will you give over ye clown. This is a valid choice for a young girl due to our welfare rates which include a house to live in and you only have to look at the nightmare and issues people are having now to try and get a house of their own. So if you want to be a snowflake and you get offended by the truth you go be one and sorry for impugning your delicate constitution

So she had a child to get a house? You called over for a cup of tea and asked her and she confirmed it right?

There's only one clown under this circus tent, and it ain't me.

• Advertisement

Break open the conspiracy Mark, tell us how the medical profession is in cahoots with the trampoline lobby. Which as we all know, must number in the millions at this stage.

12% of Irish households of working age have no earners. Over 1 in 10. So, whats the deal here?

Well, you can try and laugh it off as some conspiracy because it doesn't suit your world view or your point of view, but alas the data is there, and you cannot even start to explain it.

What are you on about, the girl brags about how she gets all and sundry paid for by the state and she is frequently over in her grandmother's house (my mam) with her kids so I would see her quite a lot. I dont know why your getting bent out of shape for someone telling you how it is out there. As you say the amount of people on the long term unemployed would only half fill Croke Park. Even one is too much. If there is work there for someone they should be asked to train/educate in order to fill one of these roles.

Burden's on you. You dumped the link, tell us what it all means?

I actually have a good idea how those figures are arrived at, and it's not a case of mass indolence and medical profession conspiracy as you're trying to infer, but I'd be curious where the trampoline conspiracy will take us next.

Show me a country without long term unemployment and I'll take you on a trip behind the magic door like on Bosco.

One doesn't exist, your 'one too many' is fantasy land stuff.

Long term unemployment is trending towards 1 percent, a historic low in Irish terms and about as low as it gets globally.

You can keep your curtain twitching anecdote about young women and their legs to yourself, we don't want to hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

What the hell are you talking about?

Your not making much sense.

Don't be shy Tom, you opened with your booze and fags commentary, a bit late playing ignorant now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

There's so many assumptions you've made that are completely wrong it's hard to know we're to start.

Firstly, why do you assume Jane has to move out or anywhere for that matter 🤔 secondly I presume she'll be entitled to Maternity leave and gosh might return to work and her parents might think they'll help with baby sitting 🤔

She could of course move out and try to find a place to rent (fat chance of that happening) and may, just may qualify for HAP if of course landlord agrees . Incidently, (no such thing as rent allowance any more )

Back to Mark , he like many working people would love to get married and purchase a house but of course he's not alone in having such ambitiions , with people on twice his Salary unable to get a mortgage and on his current salary that Ain't happening.

But suddenly if he's unemployed and can afford to get Married, heavens above their Joint income miraculously increases , the state start throwing money at them , I can't contain my excitement and just think after 10 maybe more years they might get a council house , Gosh why haven't people thought of this before 🤔

This has the making of a fiction Novel , extraordinary story albeit fiction .

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Advertisement