Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod Note Post #1 - The 2022 All Ireland Senior Football Championship.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

It would be some laugh if Mayo went to the final and then lose against someone from the weaker side of the draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭_NAGDEFY

All Armagh's good play is in provincial grounds. Mayo are more road tested in championship in Croke Park. I won't really rate Armagh, Derry, Galway, Cork above Mayo until they win a quarter or semi in Croke Park. None of them have in decades.

Kildare will go into a game v Mayo looking on them as equals. All Leinster teams are beat before the take the pitch against Dublin due to the heavy beatings inflicted since 2005.

On the goalies, Hennelly scored the winner v Dublin in an all Irelandsemi. You can't rate Armagh based on Donegal. They're a mess, look at Brearty and Patten in the dugout.

Post edited by _NAGDEFY on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

The Mayo and Kerry away jersey's are confusing to me. Mayo used to wear a blue alternative jersey similar to Kerry's and their black alternative jersey also has blue in it. Would one team be better lining out in their home colours? I'm sure neither would consent to it...

Sportsfile - Kerry v Mayo - Allianz Football League Division 1 Final Photos | page 1

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

If the lad who came up playing in goals in soccer was doing his homework then he should be well able to kick a ball. The whole idea of a keeper as a playmaker is one football took from soccer.

Given the amount of restarts a GAA keeper plays during a game it makes sense that he should be one of your best passers and also makes sense that said "best passers" should move up the field to create chances if he can do so unimpeded thanks to the blanket defense.

Kids are smarter than most of us set in our ways adults. I bet all the young goalies are practicing being "footballers" too.

Thats green on the Mayo jersey but you are right its too much of a clash.

I would say it should be Kerry in blue as provincial champions with Mayo in green or one of them needs to come up with a white, red or yellow kit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

They were doing it in the Kilmacud Crokes 7's nearly 30 years ago, it just took time to move to 15 a side.

We played Castlehaven and thought they were mad with no goalie until we saw how they used the extra man, that was 1994 or 1995.

McGeeney got slaughtered 4 or 5 years ago for trying similar.

The game has changed so much with defensive football that a goalie needing to be commanding under high balls, good shot stopper have now bee usurped with a need to be comfortable on the ball and to have a accurate foot pass

• Registered Users Posts: 6,516 ✭✭✭dobman88

I always hated the rule of both teams playing in away/alternate jerseys. Just toss a coin for who wears the away kit and be done with it.

It's a very "GAA solution" to a very minor problem of a colour clash. Similar to when a referee gives 2 yellows to lads on the ground instead of just 1 yellow to the aggressor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I wonder what "plan" will O'Hora have for Clifford this time ? His efforts against him in the League were a major fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Exactly, make one team change however that is decided. Another thing that bug me is both teams wearing white shorts, one should be made wear a darker colour imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Avon8

Shorts are a big one also yep. Ulster tend to do it right. Derry in an all red strip, Tyrone in all white and Monaghan in all blue whenever they meet. Proper order

In the case of Kerry/Mayo, a toss for one to change would be fine

• Advertisement

Nah see I would be really pssed off watching Limerick in green shorts. The jersey is green with white shorts and the white bit isn't inconsequential. It works for some counties but not others.

They have that sort of as a rule in international soccer now and I hate it. For instance the blue pants on Spain and England for instance is as much part of the kit as the top half colours.

Did it ever come out what he was saying to him? I knew a guy once who used to just recite Irish poetry at his marker.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Avon8

Its grand when it's like yesterday, yellow and green against Orange and White. It gets annoying when both teams have white though as someone said.

Cork v Tyrone is a particularly annoying one when they meet, for a stage there it was Red with White shorts v White with Red shorts which was awful. Those Ulster games provided a terrific contrast kit wise imo

O Hora, Clifford and even Paidi Clifford were all asked about the previous incident and all said there was nothing to it. From watching it back, the clip that was doing the rounds seemed like O Hora was letting him know he wasnt happy about something that Clifford had done and they had a moment. Wouldnt think any more about it.

They've also done a SuperValu press shoot in croke park together since and were seen chatting away at it.

No doubt they'll go at it again for the ¼ final as they should in a big game but I hope it's not all we talk about cos at the end of the day its just nothing imo and I'm sure they'll shake hands and leave it on the pitch after.

Ya I get it in the Cork vs Tyrone scenario.

Limerick vs Armagh on the other hand would look like a box of tic-tacs.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I've noticed on one side of the draw we'll have a finalist that hasn't appeared in the final since at least 2003 (Armagh) and Galway last appeared in 2001 and Derry 1993, did Clare get to final in the early days?

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

A perfect draw for Derry, should be a place in the semi finals for the 10th time in history and first time in 18 years. We could see history repeating itself with Galway winning the semi final.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Only in Ireland would you have this take on things. 'No doubt they'll go at it again for the ¼ final as they should in a big game.' I was at the League final and O'Hora was hanging out of Clifford before the ball was thrown in. I don't think that's allowed. 'I'm sure they'll shake hands and leave it on the pitch after.' As if it's alright to knock lumps out of each other on the pitch as long as they shake hands afterwards. As I said, only in Ireland.

Yep, its top level sport with 2 top class players. Of course they're gonna go at it and give it everything. If they didnt, they wouldn't last too long

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,166 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Since 2011 it has been nip and tuck between Kerry and Mayo in the Championship. Before that (pre 2007) Kerry mostly had the upper hand. But I don't think the history is particularly relevant.

2011 Kerry in the Final

2014 Kerry after a replay in the SF.

2017 Mayo after a replay in the SF.

2019 Kerry in the QF group stages. Both advanced to the SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Id imagine fairly similar, but if his team mates hang him out to dry like they did in league final, he or any other defender will get a roasting.

They will have to get numbers around him and pressure on the on the lads kicking it in to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

2011 was the SF. Kerry destroyed them.

They have had a few close tussles since, but I think this is Kerrys strongest side since 2013, id rate it higher than 2014 even and probably Mayos weakest side since the same time. I cant see how Mayo win this one unless Kerry completely implode. For me even if Kerry just perform to the level of last years loss v Tyrone, it should be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,383 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

This is the key.

O'Hora got a bit of a roasting but he was let down by the total lack of pressure out the field.

Kerry could kick the ball in perfectly to Clifford and he made hay.

Cork had 3 guys around him at all times and kept him very quiet. The only issue with this is that Seánie O'Shea, Stephen O'Brien, Paul Geaney (when he came on) were able to cut wreck and kick a hatful of scores.

Mayo need to try and solve both issues while also keeping Durcan, McLoughlin, Mullin and Keegan fresh for attacks forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,278 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

And that's why Kerry win this game.

Mayo need the backs to come forward because they don't have the forwards, and that then leaves them open to the Kerry forwards.

Rumour has it O'Hora has learnt off Peig verbatim to fcuk up Clifford's head. That's Guantanamo Bay style torture.

Croke Park can be a lonely place for a corner back. I'm all for having a friendly chat with your opponent.

Clare were in the 1917 final, someone asked earlier.

Kerry are a bit overrated too. A man up and they couldn't see out the 2019 final. Plenty of flops in the 2015-21 period.

Tyrone had, what Ger Loughnane would call, a functional team last year, and the poor craturs decimated and no stamina after covid, saw to Kerry easily enough. They're very dependent on Dsvid Clifford.

Like it or not only one team has a core of 10 players with multiple all irelands, proven at the highest level, Dublin. Con, Kilkenny, Fenton, the Smalls, Costello etc are still in their prime. McCarthy, Rock, Cooper, Fitzsimmons etc aren't geriatrics yet.

We have a huge amount of unproven Croke Park teams. Armagh, Derry, Clare, Cork, Galway. One will be in the All Ireland and have a chance to make the breakthrough.

Then a team with a great record in quarter and semi finals in Croke Park, Mayo. None of the unproven teams, with a lot of potential, have been in the last 2 all ireland finals. Those runs bring experience and more games at the highest level.

The you've Kerry. Brilliant in the league, but so we're the Waterford hurlers. Class footballers. Especially in the forwards. Hopefully David Moran won't be needed, not mobile enough for Croke Park and coughs up easy possession in the last 15 min. Will they be undercooked? Pressure is on. In terms of age and experience, now is their time. 3 years on from 2019. There can be no more hard luck stories. What of their backs? We're talking Kerry 1978 here for this team. Dwyer probably would have had to step down if they lost that one. But until they actually go win the All Ireland they aren't much ahead of the pack behind Dublin.

If it came down to picking one team with a gun to my head I'd say Kerry. A county with such talent and tradition. They'll surely become men.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭rogerywalters

Anybody know how much the double header tickets would be?

Advertisement