Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade & Retro Repairs & Mods, all new recipe, with no added MSG...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,232 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Actually I use flux (in a pen form) and solder braid all the time! I'm quite familiar with them.

The legs that I soldered to were tiny and when I look at it through a magnifying glass the pins on the chip are bent, bridges, some traces are broken etc.

I was FAR too ambitious trying to solder directly to one of those legs. Ahh well... lesson learned! Definitely keeping this MD around as a practice board though for future learning.

I already have a "for parts" board on the way from the UK (via my mate in Lisburn because Ebay now charge customs at checkout etc which is BS) which I'm pretty sure is fine it's just that the seller doesn't have cables / games to test it out to see if it's working or not.

Even if it is broken I'm sure I can figure out how to fix it. It definitely won't be as badly broken as I managed to make mine anyway! :-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Inviere

I remember screwing up an MD2 before by trying to lift a pin on the cpu, they are quite small and back then i was a bit more gung-ho than I should have been, incorrect tools for the job etc.

I have the correct tools, I just lack the experience. I couldn't figure out why the video switching part of the chip just wasn't doing anything... was probably something I had already screwed up in the MD2 previously as it was stuck in 60Hz video mode anyway.

Meh, feck it... I have a new board on it's way to mess up anyway! :-D

Ah back then I was doing jobs with no flux, cheap unadjustable soldering iron, no solder removal method other than a spring loaded sucker, no braid, no hot air station, incorrect guage wiring, no IPA, and all manner of incorrect techniques.

These days I'm much more capable given I've invested time in learning, and money into equipment. Still a lot on the electronics side to learn, it's all well and good swapping out components, diagnosing faults is where the real skill is.

I've gotten pretty decent at checking for continuity and voltages with my digital wish special mutimeter. Anything beyond that though and I'm useless.

I actually managed to get a free Lytool Solder and Hot Air Reflow station because they reached out to me on Instagram to promote it in exchange for a free one, so I wasn't going to pass that up!

I've also invested in a heated version of that spring loaded solder sucker, a few roles of solder braid and flux in the form of a pen which makes it super easy to apply. I also have some solder paste in my tools chest somewhere but I haven't really found a use for that yet.

The likes of Wish and Aliexpress are fantastic for cheap (but good quality) electronics repair stuff if you can handle waiting a few weeks for delivery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

One of the best solder sucker tools I've used is this 'Japanese' type;

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Yep, have the same one and they're great for small jobs.

Ooooooh! Added to basket to wait for pay day. :-P

Just finished recapping an Amiga 600 there (thread soon, need to order some upgrades). Its a very early V1 board, with Amiga 300 printed on the pcb. The solder pads on these early boards do NOT conform to standard Amiga 600 cap kit sizes (physical cap size).

I ordered originally from Sordan, and despite their page saying the kit was compatible with a V1 board, it really REALLY isn't. Their caps won't physically fit side by side. So I had to order from another seller on eBay.

These newer ones do fit, but my god some of them are very tight. You need to slide the cap along the first pad and even slightly past it, so that the second pad is fractionally exposed and can take solder.

Anyway, job done, powered up into some Microprose Formula 1....man I love Amiga's

Nice one! That reminds me... I really must open mine back up again, reattach the internal HDD and get the Compact Flash driver installed so that I can use my Compact Flash PCMCIA with 16Gb card.

• Advertisement

I absolutely love the form factor of the 600, it's my favourite Amiga I think.

The Amiga Cap Kit fiasco continues. Here's a current synopsis:

Amiga 500 cap kit from Sordan. X2 caps were below spec of what originally came out of the factory sealed machine. I get told my machine must have been previously opened and an ebay sticker set used to reseal it. So I order like for like values off a different ebay seller, and I complete the job.

Amiga 600 cap kit from Sordan. Several caps FAR too big for this v1 revision board, email sent, and has gone unanswered for weeks (owner on holiday I think.) I order a correctly specced kit from a different seller on eBay, and complete the job.

Amiga 1200 cap kit from Sordan. Funnily enough, this one was fine.

Amiga CD32 cap kit from Sordan. Some of the caps again out of spec based on what was in the machine originally. The Sordan ones MAY be OK to use, but no note or message reassuring me that they are. Again, email goes unanswered due to above mentioned holiday. So I order a correctly specced kit from a different ebay seller (the one I got the 600 kit from). I go to prep the machine today in order to finish the job tomorrow, and it turns out the ebay seller has sent me a kit for the A1200 instead.

F*****G hell people, how hard is it to spec a few cap kits. Queue another wait now while I wait on the CD32 cap kit to be fixed up by the seller and sent to me.

Post edited by Inviere on

To be fair to Sordan, he literally seems to buy and resell stuff from the likes of AliExpress etc so I wouldn't put the issue all on him.

He's not drop shipping but simply buying up a bunch of tech stuff and reselling for a profit. I doubt it's his mistake... but I can 100% feel your frustration.

3 out of 4 cap kits have issues and a **** attitude to boot? Pretty bad way to operate an online store man. The way I see it, if you're going to sell products/advertise them, it's down to you to ensure the people buying them are getting what they ordered. Passing the book to suppliers can only hold so much weight.

I get that mistakes happen, and I've always felt how a seller handles mistakes is the barometer to measure them with....so this lad has had the opportunity to rectify the issue and come away looking clean, but he blew that too. Plus I didn't mention the GoTek he sold me wasn't flashed right either and I lost hours trying to diagnose and fix it. The product to issue rate with Sordan is the worst I've EVER experienced, personally speaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Sordan is handy to have local and has a few decent bits for sale. But as soon as something goes wrong(faulty/wrong item) you are in for a crappy time with him. In my own experience, as soon as there's an issue he seems to be on holidays and it takes weeks to get a reply/response.

I've learned my lesson with him anyway, after care is usually more important than speed of delivery for me so I'll unfortunately be back to buying on ebay/EU as opposed to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭Dublinandy3

I'm going to go visit my mum end of July in the UK for a week. If there is anything you can't get sent here from eBay and wouldn't mean I'd have to remortgage and/or is the size of a house I can order it and bring it back with me.

I have a UK-registered eBay account for when I used to sell there prior to Brexit.

Ohh fair enough, didn't realise it was that bad.

Fair enough then.

Random question folks although not sure if this is the correct place for it.

Friend of mine is a big Duke Nukem fan and I'm going to visit her in NYC in two months time. We were talking about it earlier and she said she regretted not buying the Duke Nukem 3D game when she saw it on sale a few years ago for $150.

It's rather rare as a TechToy exclusive... so I thought that I'd make a repro of it for her as a surprise.

I notice though that out own BanjoGuyOllie's 8bitmanshed etsy shop is taking a break and none of the repro boards that I have will take a M27C322 EEPROM.

I found one on Tindie but they won't ship outside of the USA.

Anybody know of anyplace else that I could get some?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

https://github.com/webhdx/PicoBoot - Pretty novel approach, using this will boot straight into Swiss, or any other IPL without the need for a boot disk.

I'm going to order a few RPi Picos to add to my collection of microcontroller boards and install one to see what it's like.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Just ordered a couple of Picos there, I have been putting off getting a decent SD loader and this seems to be ideal

Did you go for the new Pico W? The wifi might be handy for editing settings/firmware without taking them out of devices. The new Gamecube mod needs a bit of a teardown to get at it for example.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yep, and then I got a strange message about a US export licence or somesuch.

I ordered from Farnell, as it happens.

They shipped the standard Pico but there's a delay on the PicoW, but I am assured it will arrive... eventually.

It does seem to be selling out, rapidly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Just make sure your Gamecube(s) have the Serial Port 2 - seems some versions had it removed but I can't find which/when.

I think I have a few of the small SD2SP2 PCB adapters at home if you need one to save an order

I just pulled a DOL-101 from my big box of projects and it's missing the SP2 port! :D Goddammit!

I have a Japanese and a PAL GC, one of them is bound to have the port I need.

I hope!

How does this new mod differ to just using an ODE? Just curious...

it bypasses the GC boot loader and boots Swiss, or any other IPL from SD card.

It’s basically doing the initial job of an ODE, loading Swiss, but by a different mechanism.

Major difference is getting a non AliExpress GCLoader is HARD and they’re not cheap.

• Advertisement

Advertisement