Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭CarProblem

And before anyone says the usual "but but Sinn Fein" - I'm not arguing in favour of SF. I'm simply frustrated that no party exists to represent the net contributing tax payer (though there's very few in that cohort as we take so many people out of the tax net etc etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Here is more 'international data', from during the middle of lockdown

Ireland has the highest housing costs in the European Union.

And people here are now among the least likely in Europe to own their own homes.

The surging cost of housing and the difficulty this has led to for young people to own their own home helps explain the collapse in support for mainstream political parties.

The statistical office of the European Union, Eurostat, found that just shy of 69pc of the population of this country own their own home.

This means we have more people renting and fewer owning their own homes than the EU average.

Some 70pc of the population across the 27 members of the EU own their own homes.

House prices here were 77pc above the EU average last year, according to Eurostat.

This is due to Ireland experiencing the largest rise in prices seen in the EU between 2009 and 2019.

Rents also shot up by 63pc over the same period.

And for anyone tempted to cry "but other countries...." - how many of them had the government/minister for finance openly say in 2014 or so that he wanted prices to rise? I never link to rags like the Indo so Google "Michael Noonan wants property prices to rise" and you'll see many articles from that time. Of course we also had CGT exemptions for buy to lets (extended even when it was obvious the impact it was having on prices), help to buy, refusal to let property taxes increase with values etc etc. This is deliberate government policy - anyone who says otherwise is either stupid or lying

And for what it's worth - I am a property owner so not "exposed" to high rents. It's still however yet another reason I won't vote for any of the government parties

• Registered Users Posts: 14,640 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Yes, we should forget about the war in Ukraine and think that Ireland exists in this perfect vacuum where outside events have absolutely zero influence on it. Yes, yes.. that is a good way to think about the world, for those that don't want to think too hard about stuff, as it may hurt their brain in the midst of their daily dose of misery patronage.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

No government wants to be responsible for dropping the value of people's assets, which is the inevitable outcome of any proper solution to the housing shortage. Unfortunately I don't expect that to change any time soon no matter who is in power.

• Advertisement

There are areas we could (should IMO) spend less but the absolute lack of value for money we get for our expenditure (and obscene levels of personal taxes) is one of the (many) reasons I won't vote for any party that's been in power for the past 25 years.

I feel and have sympathy for your position. I am somewhat in agreement on principle, yet have you seen the opposition? For all the government have spent, they want them to spend more and more....

Well, Ireland did have the biggest property crash in the EU, so if take those prices as the base index and track forwards, its no surprise that prices have gone up since then.

We are, as the article states almost bang in the middle in terms of home ownership. House prices in Ireland is generally not as high if you compare similar countries, as that article states.

I don't disagree re. the opposition - but nothing will change if people keep voting for parties that won't change anything. Best case scenario an actual economically right of centre/somewhat fiscally conservative party emerges to counter the current race to be most left. Worst case someone else picks my pockets for a change

I prefer to "punish" at the voting booth those parties that have f*cked up first, before I start punishing those I think will f*k up. I've only one vote - all I can do is tell politicians who knock why I'm not voting for their party and what they need to do to have me consider them

Politics is quite simple. income tax rates (for the few of us that pay them) are outrageous. If enough people told politicians they don't vote for parties that levy them they'd soon reduce. I can't control what others do - only me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

I disagree. You missed the point. I'll simplify. We have a housing crisis. Your number 8 means **** all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,911 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

You live in one of the richest countries in the world, with one of the happiest populations in the world, that figures in the top10/15 of every happiness index, of every lifestyle index, yet you seem to think that a different government could not make things worse? There are an awful lot of things that could get far worse in this country if we got the wrong government, an awful lot.

The misery junkies aren't interested in the facts, they are only interested in high-profile media-grabbing poor mouth stories, until they backfire in their faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,479 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I prefer to "punish" at the voting booth those parties that have f*cked up first, before I start punishing those I think will f*k up. 

Yeah but if a lot of people in your position vote SF as a way of 'punishing' FF and FG for not pursuing the fiscal policies you favour, I don't see how that is conveying the desired message to those parties. Seems to me they are much more likely to interpret that shift as a desire for even more left wing policies on the part of the electorate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

you tell them in no uncertain terms on the doorstep (or any other interaction) why you won't countenance voting for them and what needs to happen for you to ever reconsider. Polls are indicating a lot of people are voting for other parties than FF/FG simply because they're not FF/FG. SF is benefiting by default as a lot of people are fed up

If enough people do this things might change, if not nothing will. If (as some people I know) complain about certain policies (e.g. marginal income tax rates) yet vote for parties that implement them then it's pointless. Stop complaining about what you voted for

I'm only one person, not a whole ton I can do but at least when one of the "mainstream" politicians knocks I can say "sorry I don't vote for parties that tax at marginal rates of 50% and over/steal from my pension/prioritise welfare recipients over workers/transfer as much wealth as possible from other cohorts to the wealthiest (over 65s), etc etc".

As I've repeatedly said - if you work and pay tax you have absolutely nobody to vote for in this country. Unless people who want that cohort represented actually do something nothing can or will change

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Irelandsnumberone

I would be complain about Govt alot (rightly so imo) but credit where it is due, the Govts handling of Boris and the lads up North over the protocol has been excellent. Coveney for all his faults playing a blinder

“Ireland is not going to be collateral damage for unilateral actions by the British government” - @simoncoveney reacts to UK’s latest protocol plans @VirginMediaNews https://t.co/ZeL8CSPS04

“This is a big deal”

“A breach of international law, I don’t think there’s any other way to describe this”

“I presume the a British Government will have some justification for that, I don’t think that will be valid”

“This is an act of bad faith”

“Breach of its word to Ireland” https://t.co/6GZlgc2Icp

Coveney says the EU had expected “a re-engagement in a serious and honest way, both sides trying to accommodate the other’s concerns” after Protocol talks were paused for the AE22 campaign, but instead says UK has “ratcheted up the tensions” without entering into meaningful talks

💬 “For most of my working life as Minister for Foreign Affairs my job is to be a diplomat, but there are times when I think I need to call things out for what they are, in plain language.” - Simon Coveney

Spot on 100%. There are times when the government are doing the right thing and playing a blinder. They must be lauded for this but this does not make up for the things that they do wrong.

How much do they have to do right to make up for the things that they do wrong?

Surely, that is how you measure a government's performance, weigh up what they did right in your opinion, and what they did wrong in your opinion.

Well in this governments case the housing crisis, cronyism and the health crisis for example can't be easily fixed by the right that they do which is not much.

Public finances sorted.

Covid crisis, one of the best in the world at preventing excess deaths.

Covid crisis, the best in the world for the economic recovery.

Lowest unemployment.

The housing problems relate to the success of the employment policies meaning more people have money and want houses. The health issues solutions have been delayed by the Covid crisis, but some of the lessons are clear, including that too many people who don't need to be in hospital turn up at A&E.

• Advertisement

As for the public finances.....

"The national debt, measured either as a percentage of national income or on a per capita basis, peaked in 2021 and is projected to fall from this year onwards."

Seeing as that report is a bible of yours, do you agree with this?

"The report states that "…failure to raise the retirement age -and to better align it with increases in life-expectancy- would involve a serious intergenerational inequality…"."

• Registered Users Posts: 16,479 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Kind of a chicken/egg scenario here, but unless and until people like you have a creible alternative to put to those FF/FG canvassers, as in "I'm going to vote for Renua/Libertas/whoever; they will cut my taxes" I don't believe they will take you seriously. IMO they will go away from your doorstep still thinking to themselves "When push comes to shove in the ballot box he's still going to tick FF or FG as (from his POV) the least bad of a terrible lot. Or he won't vote, which we can live with."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

What we need is a relatively honest government not just out for themselves. Accountability and independent oversight, with consequences.

All the alledged sensible policies mean nothing coming from the kind of government we are use to.

Harney taking the government jet to the opening of a friends pub for example. Her husband being in the private medical sector when she was health minister pushing for private contracts.

More current, slaintecare. Lauded and left to fester.

We need better.

Oh, you mean there is a simple fix to all this. Must tell that to everyother country in the world that has a housing crisis, from Sweden, to Germany to Canada, NZ and the USA.. just to mention a few.

Maybe you can consult out your skills?

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Irelandsnumberone

Not a flying **** does he have. Il be ringing my Social Welfare office in the morning to see what they have for me, im sure they will be delighted with this advice giving by one of our 3 leaders

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Saw it earlier and my word the man shouldn't be allowed to speak publicly, its just beggar's belief. I'd doubt he's ever been to a social welfare office let alone been insiide one .

I've heard the same claptrap from Heather Humphries, Leo and MM. It amazes me, why none of these fools understand why or see thousands of people , to include working people and pensioners being forced to use food banks 🙄

Are they seriously that deluded that they think folks can just pop down to their nearest Intero centre to get handouts , makes my blood boil at how out of touch these people are 😡

Meanwhile throwing €10's of million like confetti at the Ukrainian refugee debacle.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

I see the name of that factory in "Meath" that's in a spot of bother with Immigration and SW officials has leaked, so to speak, apparently production has slowed somewhat over the past few days 😏

• Advertisement

Good to see Housing minister looking after FF priorities.

Advertisement