Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,077 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ya but we have known they are dishonest and disrespectful for 6 years now so I don't think today will move the mercury in the Dail or Brussels.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I would suggest more he has no ability of following through rather than intention. I don't doubt he would happily plough on with this if he could get away with it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Oh dear. Apparently the bill is on hold...

it is probably because 52 of NI's 90 MLAs have said "no"...

Presumably, if the above is true, the Tories will pull yet another stunt to achieve whatever it is that they are trying to achieve. Any guesses what that might be (although I find it strange that they'd postbone the bill to appease a few disgruntled NI politicians given that they were prepared to break international law and piss of the EU and the Americans)?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭Christy42

I would suspect they are unrelated. Potentially they don't have the votes or they simply don't want to be this close to the brink. I can't imagine that anyone in the Tories cared about the elections in NI in any way shape or form.

I am not sure they want Brexit to be finished with either so a few rounds of brinkmanship might suit them. Boris was elected as the Brexit PM to see them through and without Brexit he might have to take the blame for UK issues instead of blaming the EU. However he is also the Brexit PM and so does need to be seen to be pushing Brexit forward so it is a delicate balancing act between doing something and not doing it.

Tories don't give a shte what MLAs think. Half of them barely know such a thing exists.

Far more likely that Tory rebels have informed Boris he doesn't have the numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Remember when Gove was waxing on about freedom to have even better standards...

And now they've wussed out on the NIP. Seems to be a case that the EU and IRL didn't bite this last fortnight so they couldn't be railed against.

He was trained to be a politician in Eton PoliSoc and the Oxford Union where winning the debate is winning the war and you don't actually have to worry about implementing a single thing you debated.

He seems to not realize that the real world works a little different and the debate needs to be followed through.

When's it happening? 11.47pm where I am and watching https://www.parliamentlive.tv/ has nothing so far. Was hoping to catch it live.

Did I miss it, or is it later? Was hoping to catch it live. Or is it not a Parliament vote?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

@Kermit.de.frog and this is exactly why we keep repeating that EU will not act until UK actually does something; yet again a nothing burger from Boris and his flailing government. Yet again more hot air, intentions etc. and no action as all the previous times as well. Boris is simply happy to do the talk but he's never happy to do the walk; because that would require some effort and effort is something he simply does not do.

• Advertisement

.. Edit: not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭yagan

In this episode of the Tory Show the beleaguered chief keeps hitting brick walls. His attack on the deal he once boasted about is backfiring as many brexit MPs don't give a toss about the NIP and they view this attack on his own deal as vindication of their dissatisfaction.

He can feel a hand on his shoulder and hear intimations of "just go" swirling around him. His career driven Brexit junket has led him into the shadow of the pro EU Zalinsk who inhabits the Churchill moment that Boris can only spaff about.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Got a BBC alert that the UK just published the bill. But no details yet

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Here: https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/bills/cbill/58-03/0012/220012.pdf. Main provisions:

This Act— (a) provides that certain specified provision of the Northern Ireland Protocol does not have effect in the United Kingdom; (b) gives Ministers of the Crown powers to provide that other provision of the Northern Ireland Protocol does not have effect in the United Kingdom; (c) provides that enactments, including the Union with Ireland Act 1800 and the Act of Union (Ireland) 1800, are not to be affected by provision of the Northern Ireland Protocol that does not have effect in the United Kingdom; (d) gives Ministers of the Crown powers to make new law in connection with the Northern Ireland Protocol (including where provision of the Protocol does not have effect in the United Kingdom).

you know people give the EU a lot of **** for being a beuracratic nightmare, but when I want to find a treaty or regulation they pass, it might need a bit of digging but it's fairly straight forward there.

I've lived in the UK for 10 years and gov.uk remains a confusing hedge maze of bullsh*t

This is the page for the bill

but no link to the actual bill from what I can see.

there's a link to an explainer and a link to a legal assurance it doesnt break international law, but no actual this is the text of the document we are proposing with the specific changes we intend to make.

Unless (and it's possible) I am completely blind.

So, my expectation is a response from the EU tonight saying they're looking at it, and a detailed response in a day or so. My guess is they have prepared one already and were just waiting to refine it once the proposal came from the UK.

Unless they play their cards close and wait for it to be passed, but I don't think they'd wait that long.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Neighbours from hell. Utter contempt shown to the majority of people and businesses in NI, as well as those on this side of the border. Unless and until we get a border poll, they will just continue to mess around with our island for their own selfish ends.We're just a pawn to them.

Just reading a small section and it's basically just outright gutting whole sections

I also might be reading it wrong at one point but it seems the designation of what is a "UK/non EU bound" product is something entirely left in the hands of the UK ministers which I feel is a hell of a lot of red flags coming from a country that prior to leaving the EU got caught being a smuggling den for chinese goods pretending to be british goods.

• Advertisement

Remember when Arrticle 16 was apparently a thing.. Bananas to see this in words.

And, I was wrong. EU has a response out already. Guess what - last year's proceedings that were put on hold, will restart and new ones to be launched.

I'm sure there's more to come. Hrm... where's Kermit's bus?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭Christy42

Legal action for pushing the protocol before and had been paused when medicines etc. was sorted has been restarted again.

As Steve Analyst points out, the way the UK has worded the bill the EU is actually required by EU law to immediately start legal actions against the UK.

it sounds almost intentional

https://twitter.com/EmporersNewC/status/1536395997739421696

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

This act of vandalism from BoJo and Co, regardless of whether it even makes it through to being actual legislation which is very doubtful, will push a lot of non Green/Orange aligned voters in NI towards a stable, responsible and EU based United Ireland when the time does come for a border poll and it may even hasten that day.

Remarkable if it gets through Parliament. What a shltshow.

oh but it wont get to parliament. This nugget of an inside source on the guardian's report on it

"Government sources said a vote on the bill would hopefully take place before parliament breaks up for summer recess, but ministers would want to see some progress towards power-sharing returning in Northern Ireland first, which the DUP has been blocking."

Makes it sound that the government will sit on this and blame the DUP for why they wont put it in front of parliament

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wouldn't put it past them. Johnson's legitimacy now hinges on eternal conflict with the EU, to distract from his and his cabinet's ineptitude.

I'd disagree slightly over your use of 'legitimacy.' I see it as Johnson's message to the people that can throw him out of office directly (Tory party members) is, "I'll continually stir the s**t viz. the EU in order to keep the red tops on site and maybe enough to keep us in majority in government." Legitimacy is long over given the crimes committed. And eternal conflict with the EU will get old - I think it has already actually, 'it's the economy, stupid' is going to apply if it hasn't already in the last big round of local elections.

But, as someone said, what awful neighbors.

The EU shouldn't back down from reinstating the complaints regarding relaxing of restrictions. Time to start tightening the screws on this evil government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The EU response is as weak as predicted. In fact it's even weaker than that.

The Tories couldn't care less about legal action the outcome of which is years a way (and would be ignored anyway).

Advertisement