Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Indeed. All parties sing from the same hymn sheet on this multicult. It's Hobson's choice, IE no choice at all. All parties that anyone would vote for anyway. This confuses the multicultists. They assume, nay hope any debate on it is "racist" so they can shut down debate in a neat way. They assume/hope those who would vote for a real debate on it would be the morons who would vote for th National Party(all six of them).

Yet the one time the debate about an open door loophole was put to the electorate with Labour and the usual NGO swivelheads who really don't want any debate screaming racism/we waz migrantz onze!! they were ignored by 80% of the Irish electorate by a majority that made SSM and Repeal look like close run things. No government would dare row back on the SSM or Repeal votes, but ever since the Irish people voted to close that loophole, the same Labour and the usual NGO swivelheads have been pushing to row it back, with the occasional slanted poll wheeled out to show support for that. But no way in hell have they once suggested putting it to a vote. They know damn well the result.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

If you don’t want to run yourself as and independent you can set up a group, lobby, agitate, get likeminded people together and make yourself heard, get a town hall session going, get a journalist or any local independent candidates along. Anything like that. It would take work

or you could just spoil your ballot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

I did see a prediction that a real national party will not form until 2028 . The problem is not big enough yet .

I wonder if the NP are aware of those plans. Maybe instead of a Real NP there would be a Provisional NP or a Continuity NP. So many choices

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

That's not racism it's common sense to address the problem and maybe introduce a system where newly qualified medical personnel trained in Ireland are required to work here for several years in the HSE before they can leave to practice abroad.

You’re arguing for restricting peoples right to freedom of movement, which would be a bit of a no-no. Of course it’s not racism, it’s just unrealistic. It also takes no account of the Irish people who train abroad under different systems and then come back here and have to be trained to work in the Irish healthcare system, eg - my brother trained under ‘Project 2000’ nursing model in Wales, my sister trained in the old style of nursing in Scotland, and I know a few nurses and doctors who trained in Ireland and went to countries like NZ, Australia and UAE for reasons other than the pay and conditions - they wanted to travel. They’ve since settled in those countries.

Hell the consultant who performed my hip replacement operation in 2018 trained in Ireland, done a hip operation on me 20 years ago to fix a click hip that had been missed at birth (I was 22 at the time), and in the years since then had been using their skills in Asia and Africa, then came back to Ireland. There’s just no way you could restrict peoples right to freedom of movement like you’re suggesting.

The sooner everyone realises that everyone else's number 1 priority at work is to keep their job the sooner we might actually be able to try to start fixing something. I don't see that day coming though.

That’s neither a fair, nor realistic assessment of the situation. It completely disregards the work of the vast majority of healthcare professionals who are dedicated to their patients welfare in what is a chronically underfunded healthcare system. The reason it’s underfunded is because like every other public service, the Irish Government doesn’t want to spend money where it doesn’t feel it has to. The Australian Government is no different -

More than 500,000 temporary migrants have left Australia since the borders shut in March 2020, according to a report by a parliamentary committee on migration.

But with the border now re-opening, there are calls for the government to fast-track visas for foreign nurses.

Federal Health Minister Greg Hunt has flagged a move to approve 2,000 overseas nurses and doctors for work in Australia, as part of a plan aiming to ease the healthcare staffing crisis.

But that plan has not been officially announced, and the Health Department could not provide the ABC with any detail on how the figure of 2,000 was arrived at, or how they might be split between professions.

In a joint letter to federal Health Minister Greg Hunt sent in September, all eight state and territory health ministers asked for "immediate additional Commonwealth funding" ahead of borders reopening.

"States and territories are under unrelenting strain due to the current COVID-19 demands and the pre-existing trend of increased hospital activity," the letter said.

But the government has remained steadfast that it will not be increasing hospital funding.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison has repeatedly ruled it out, saying the states have had "a lot of opportunity to prepare for this".

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-19/australia-nurse-burnout-labour-shortage-supply-demand/100566430

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

But surely this can't be slavery, no white people were involved. 🙄

I am not allowed discuss …

Yet the one time the debate about an open door loophole was put to the electorate with Labour and the usual NGO swivelheads who really don't want any debate screaming racism/we waz migrantz onze!! they were ignored by 80% of the Irish electorate by a majority that made SSM and Repeal look like close run things. No government would dare row back on the SSM or Repeal votes, but ever since the Irish people voted to close that loophole, the same Labour and the usual NGO swivelheads have been pushing to row it back, with the occasional slanted poll wheeled out to show support for that. But no way in hell have they once suggested putting it to a vote. They know damn well the result.

It was the Government of the day who were campaigning for a Yes vote in that referendum though, and it wasn’t 80% of the electorate either. It was 80% of the 60% who bothered to cast a vote in the referendum. You’re still ignoring the fact that the same electorate voted in favour of extending the right to vote in general elections to asylum seekers and refugees on the same day.

Labour have been calling on Government to hold a referendum on repealing the birthright citizenship law -

So it is time to keep the government’s focus on this and achieve a full reversal of the effects of the 2004 Citizenship Referendum and reintroduce birth right citizenship for all children born in Ireland.

https://labour.ie/news/2021/12/03/regularisation-hugely-welcome-time-to-restore-full-birthright-citizenship/

But like you said, it’s understandable why Government won’t do it - because no Government wants to run the risk of losing a referendum. It’s why they only hold referendums on issues where they’re pretty certain they’re guaranteed a win. It’s why rather than hold a referendum on the article which is being framed as “a woman’s place is in the home”, they’ve deferred it twice and put it back on the ‘Citizens Assembly’ to debate. It’s a stalling tactic, because they’re not certain they could win -

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/careful-wording-needed-for-referendum-on-women-s-place-in-the-home-minister-says-1.4835366

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

Hush now, it's probably just a cultural misunderstanding. I'm sure the Judge will be very lenient in this, I'm only surprised that it made it into the MSM. The poor woman is very lucky that she had people to rescue her. I wonder how many other cases of this are going on in Ireland that we'll never know about. 1 thing that has horrified me through the Ukrainian refugee process is that so many vulnerable people went off to Christ knows where with Christ only knows who. It's inevitable that some of them will have found themselves forced into prostitution and will probably never escape.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭jmreire

Like the majority of voters, I've neither the time or resources to start up my own political party, so instead, I will spoil my vote rather than vote for any of the current crop of politicians, and encourage my friends to do the same, especially the ones who will not even go to the polling station to vote for any of the candidates'. Try telling them to form their own political party.....just another smart jibe. would you be so brave to stand up in front of a crowd and make the same statement.??? But rest assured woody, there is an ever growing tide of disgruntled voter's out there, itching to get near a ballot box. They are presently the silent majority, but when they get their chance, they will make their presence felt, big time. And that's the main reason why the coalition will suffer together through thick and thin to avoid an election.

Still don’t understand how spoiling a ballot makes your presence felt?

if turnout was low, and a lot of ballots spoiled, whoever won would come out with some sound bites like “we must reach out to these disenfranchised voters” and then they would carry on with their policy agenda as normal

But we’re off topic so I’ll leave it there

• Advertisement

Like the majority of voters, I've neither the time or resources to start up my own political party, so instead, I will spoil my vote rather than vote for any of the current crop of politicians, and encourage my friends to do the same, especially the ones who will not even go to the polling station to vote for any of the candidates'.

Fair enough, but your action will be no more than a footnote at the end of an election. Entirely up to you though

Try telling them to form their own political party.....just another smart jibe. would you be so brave to stand up in front of a crowd and make the same statement.???

Call a meeting, let me know the details. I have zero issue with encouraging people to become active in our political system

there is an ever growing tide of disgruntled voter's out there, itching to get near a ballot box. They are presently the silent majority, but when they get their chance, they will make their presence felt, big time.

They are not the silent majority as evidenced by the actual % of voters. Based off the 2019 election, there was 5% of votes spoiled but these were "spoiled" for a multitude of reason, not just protest. As for the protest ones, well the article I linked above shows they are only mentioned a by-the-way and nothing more as these ballots serve no purpose in the electoral system so no politician has to pay any heed to whats written on them.

As for "when they get their chance, they will make their presence felt, big time", thats unlikely if all they do is spoil a vote, see above

if turnout was low, and a lot of ballots spoiled, whoever won would come out with some sound bites like “we must reach out to these disenfranchised voters” and then they would carry on with their policy agenda as normal

Because it provides a basis for a conversation on why they spoiled their votes. If only a small number spoil their votes, then there's less interest in having such a conversation.

The political parties are not going to be influenced by the electorate, one way or another. Change, actual change, will only come from outside the political system, possibly by the regulatory bodies established to monitor our politics, but more likely by an informed population (due to the spoiled votes and subsequent conversations) refusing to play a stacked game... i.e. the current political system. Our political parties have had decades to shape the political system into something that benefits them.

So... a large turnout of spoiled votes would provide the foundation or basis for the discussion that asks the question what is wrong... rather than simply people turning to SF in the mistaken belief that they will be different.

Any new political party would be highly unlikely to get enough votes to win outright, which would mean getting into bed with one of the established parties, who due to "experience" and other considerations, would demand the leadership role.

Irish people are generally very loyal to who they supported previously, even when they're unhappy with what's happened. I know people whose families have always supported FF, who hate everything that FF have done, but will continue to vote FF because that's their tradition. They don't see any better alternatives. Any new political party would likely be compromised by the agreements made with the other political parties to gain a majority.

And it's worth remembering that any new government still has to work with the civil service, and other State organs.. many of whom were put in place by the other political parties. I don't see any new political party, even if they did win outright, gaining the support of these groups, and being able to implement any lasting changes. After all, another election down the line could easily remove everything you've done.

It's a stacked deck.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

RTE are out of control with the refugee versus asylum seeker nonsense now. This evening started with a report talking to 3 African men who are staying in the Red Cow about how the place is overcrowded. One who shares a room complained that he doesn't have a private bathroom. The emphasis was on how black and brown refugees are now allegedly discriminated against because they aren't Ukrainian. So racism. Second was an even more disgusting interview with the principal of a Primary school who was complaining about the language teachers being appointed to the 9 Ukrainian kids recently arrived and not to the 30 something African kids. He used the word racist. He also stated that language teachers for the African kids was essential because in his words, the most important thing is for the African kids to be able to share their traumatic experiences. NO IT IS NOT. His job is to ensure that the kids get an education, all of the kids. None of the African or Ukrainian kids speak English.

I don't even know if there are any kids in the school who speak English as a first language. If there are this guy clearly doesn't care about them. I thought that we'd seen an end to this type of crusading Principal here. I really don't think it's appropriate for this behaviour. I really don't think that RTE should be sending out a reporter to talk to him let alone showing it on national news. His job is to teach the children and run the school. He is not a qualified psychologist and the other children in that school should be getting an education, not using class time to indulge this woke idiots political ideology.

Your concerns might carry more weight if it wasn't for your post history indicating you have no such concern whatsoever

I don't even know if there are any kids in the school who speak English as a first language. If there are this guy clearly doesn't care about them. I thought that we'd seen an end to this type of crusading Principal here. I really don't think it's appropriate for this behaviour. I really don't think that RTE should be sending out a reporter to talk to him let alone showing it on national news. His job is to teach the children and run the school. He is not a qualified psychologist and the other children in that school should be getting an education, not using class time to indulge this woke idiots political ideology

Not taking the piss, but you could issue a formal complaint to the Dept of Education. (Who would have to investigate it).

Yes, I'm aware of that, and I'm sure DaCor and woody 22 are as well, hence the throwaway smart answer " start your own party." Dismissing out of hand any genuine concerns that an ever growing nr of people have about what's happening in this Country, and not having any say in it. Also I understand very well the familial dedication to a particular political party,,,and dating back to the civil war at that. But I don't think that its quiet as prevalent nowadays as it once was.

Fair enough woody, but even if my spoiled vote will not materially affect the outcome, at least, I'll be happy that I did not support any of the "usual suspects".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Farage showed a template for how some change could be brought about. Although he himself never got elected to Westminster, but at European elections and at grass roots level UKIP, and then the Brexit party were very successful in giving voice to the silent majority, and people realising they are far from alone in their thinking.

I don’t think I I ever said “start your own party”. What I said was that silent protest, by way of not voting or spoiling votes, is an absolute and utter wast of time. People who feel strongly about things should agitate….there’ll be local groups, and if not, start one. Townhall meetings….I see flyers regularly. Get some critical mass and invite journos or independent candidates etc etc. Make a noise. All of that is within the power of the average discontented man or woman on the street in a way that “starting your own party” isn’t.

otherwise it’s nothing but a big silent moan

• Advertisement

He may never have gotten elected, but his interventions into UK politics led directly to the abdication of two Prime Ministers; first with David Cameron after the Brexit vote, and second after the European Elections of 2019 when the Brexit Party smashed the Conservatives. Theresa May resigned before the votes were even counted.

In many polls throughout the UK at the time, 8 in 10 people counted mass immigration as the No. 1 issue that they wanted resolved.

So yes, some people point to Farage not winning but, in terms of Brexit and capitalising on the problems with multiculturalism, he ended up succeeding more than he ever could have by simply winning an MPs seat.

In fact, you could argue the fact he achieved this whilst not being an MP is testament to the widespread public support he had - or at least his attitude toward immigration / multiculturalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I think O Gormans big plans are going to crash and burn around him before the summer is over, it will be interesting to see how all these people will be getting their keys to the non existent houses he promised them.

Like the majority of voters, I've neither the time or resources to start up my own political party, so instead, I will spoil my vote rather than vote for any of the current crop of politicians, and encourage my friends to do the same, especially the ones who will not even go to the polling station to vote for any of the candidates'.

Fair enough, but your action will be no more than a footnote at the end of an election. Entirely up to you though

Try telling them to form their own political party.....just another smart jibe. would you be so brave to stand up in front of a crowd and make the same statement.???

Call a meeting, let me know the details. I have zero issue with encouraging people to become active in our political system

You, like woody22 know full well that's not going to happen, not for an ordinary guy anyway, so its a safe enough challenge to throw out. But interestingly, your answer that you are willing to address a crowd on political ( or other )issues, begs a question. Are connected to an NGO or Political Party? Which one, I wonder??? And if so, you are not exactly an unbiased poster on Boards, are you? You have an agenda.

there is an ever growing tide of disgruntled voter's out there, itching to get near a ballot box. They are presently the silent majority, but when they get their chance, they will make their presence felt, big time.

They are not the silent majority as evidenced by the actual % of voters. Based off the 2019 election, there was 5% of votes spoiled but these were "spoiled" for a multitude of reason, not just protest. As for the protest ones, well the article I linked above shows they are only mentioned a by-the-way and nothing more as these ballots serve no purpose in the electoral system so no politician has to pay any heed to whats written on them.

You consider a voter turnout of 62% as being representative of all the population of Ireland??? Wonder what happened to the other 38% ?? The ones who could not be bothered to vote for the candidates on offer? You consider that a healthy state of affairs??? Now just imagine that instead of not voting, they spoiled their votes, you still think that would not have an effect? Now I know I've used max figures possible but you get the picture, I'm sure.

As for "when they get their chance, they will make their presence felt, big time", thats unlikely if all they do is spoil a vote, see above

And as for the 5% of spoiled votes, I'm pretty sure that would have meant the difference in several seats as to who got elected, and who would have gotten elected, had they the benefit of the 5% spoiled votes. So spoiled votes have no effect?? Really?? Now if only that 5% had not had a reason to spoil their votes.....imagine the different outcome's there might have been. When it goes to the wire, on the 5th, 6th or 7th count....you can bet these spoiled votes would have made a difference.

You, like woody22 know full well that's not going to happen, not for an ordinary guy anyway, so its a safe enough challenge to throw out. 

Not really, its literally how parties are formed 🤷‍♂️

But interestingly, your answer that you are willing to address a crowd on political ( or other )issues, begs a question. Are connected to an NGO or Political Party? Which one, I wonder??? And if so, you are not exactly an unbiased poster on Boards, are you? You have an agenda.

Sorry to burst your conspiracy theory, but nope, none of the above

As for the rest, as I said, spoiling does nothing but spoil the vote, nothing more. Feel free to justify it whatever way you wish, but the fact remains that as a vote is spoiled, by its very nature, it is ignored and not counted towards anything except the total spoiled

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭golondrinas

ok so for a bit of balance enchenko. The family that has cost the taxpayers millions and millions more into the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

I gave up on RTE a good while back. News well picked to suit government agendas as the report you mentioned shows.

State propaganda TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Such a movement wouldn't stand a chance here as all of the media are left wing to some degree or other, strangled at birth

giving voice to the silent majority

There was no giving a voice to the silent majority. By virtue of the fact that people exercised their right to vote, they were not silent. It’s just fallacious reasoning to assume that people who have not expressed an opinion either way, support an argument.

If we were to use the Citizenship Referendum as an example, as a percentage of the people who were eligible to vote -

50% voted in favour of the amendment

12% voted against the amendment

38% didn’t express an opinion either way because they didn’t vote

There’s just no way of knowing how anyone would vote without at least having some indication of what’s being voted upon, or the wording of any amendment, or whether people would bother to vote at all.

That’s why Government won’t offer a referendum they’re not certain they could win, and the current Government can avoid running the risk of a failed referendum campaign when they can just introduce schemes like this -

https://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/PR21000292

After the previous Minister for Justice giving reasons like this, for not amending legislation -

He said the Government would refuse to grant a money message for the bill on the basis that it would place “strain on our own State services, including existing immigration provision, housing, education, medical services and welfare” because it would attract more people to Ireland.

https://www.irishlegal.com/articles/government-to-block-birthright-citizenship-bill-by-refusing-money-message

Referendums aren’t free either, they can’t just be called willy-nilly -

https://www.thejournal.ie/referendums-costs-3106413-Jan2017

There has to come a time when we say "no more we can't cope", right? The Government seems so into being the best boys in class that they won't either say "no" or actually process applications speedily

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/social-affairs/2022/06/13/uk-asylum-seekers-to-rwanda-policy-partly-behind-600-hike-in-applications-to-ireland/

"The sheer volume of people arriving into Ireland seeking protection over the first five months has put authorities here under considerable strain to find adequate accommodation. It emerged over the weekend that a number of asylum seekers slept on temporary beds in conference rooms of Red Cow Moran Hotel because there were no available rooms.

Senior sources in Government said that the announcement of the British government that it will transfer asylum seekers to processing centres in Rwanda was undoubtedly one of a “combination of factors” that has driven the increase. The other major factor has been the opening of international travel post-Covid which has led to a glut of applications seeking protection across the European Union.

Speaking on Monday ahead of the Cabinet subcommittee meeting, Green Party leader Eamon Ryan acknowledged that Ireland’s more open policy compared to Britain’s Rwanda policy presented more difficulties and challenges.

“There is a real challenge. It is very, very difficult. But we will have to manage. We committed at the very start of this war that the right thing to do – and the Irish people agree with this – is to keep our door open, unlike our neighbours who haven’t taken the same approach.

“And unlike our neighbours, we don’t agree with the sort of approach where you might send a refugee back to another country as a solution to what is a real challenging problem.”

As of June 5th there were 11,873 people in international protection accommodation. This compares to 7,000 at the end of 2021 and also 7,000 at the end of 2020. The figures are the highest for over 15 years.

Mr Ryan said there was “a lot of frustration” among Government Ministers about bureaucratic hurdles that have led to delays in providing refugees and asylum seekers with adequate accommodation.

“Even with even if all those offers [of accommodation] came to fruition, it would still leave us with a really challenging situation on the numbers. That is the reality. We have to be honest about it,” he said."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Does RTE or the IT ever even suggest that most of the AS are bogus?

Their articles seem to be written or based on the false presumption that the AS are genuine.

Any AS leaving the UK to come here is by definition bogus.

Advertisement