Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two motorcyclists killed today on M50

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It's not my scenario. I didn't make it up. Other posters are talking about people stepping out in front of them and their response is to rev up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

You have definitely misunderstood the post. Anyway, moving on as it's a thread about the m50 crash...

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭dbas

Andrew. There's a time for an emergency braking manoeuvre and there's a time to'wake up' a dozy pedestrian.

There's really not much to understand.

I've seen people walk out in front of motorbikes without looking and the rider just opens the throttle and frightens the bejaysis out of the pedestrian that has just endangered their own lives. Definitely more effective with a loud bike, and the pedestrian learns a vital lesson and no harm done.

All our best lessons in life involved a fight of some sort

They're not going to wake up if they're deaf or can't hear for whatever reason.

• Advertisement

The 'what if' game.

The game that's not a game at all. The absolute best line of defence on a bike.

Ignore it at your peril

That's a moot point Andrew. People with a hearing impairment are going to use their other senses. Especially while crossing a road. Bikers have seen the pedestrian, saw that they were about to walk out in front of them, they've reduced their speed, dropped a gear or two and are in full control of the situation.

You should learn to ride a bike. Might help your comprehension of these things.

Unless you're just a troll.

Then you're just sad and should leave the trolling for another forum

You didn't mention reducing speed and dropping gears previously. I wouldn't go assuming that a pedestrian will hear you revving. You need to take evasive action as the priority, not have a bit of craic scaring the pants off a pedestrian.

The evasive action has already been taken. Spilt second reaction times.

It's the same as a car. Would you brake or beep at someone when they walk out on front of you in a clueless manner?

You'd brake, then beep when the danger is averted. Beeping and not braking would be a criminal act of madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Did it really really need to be pointed out? This strawman style of posting is so tiresome

Seems like you're just not willing to accept that your argument is nonsense. At a Garda Open Day a while back (pre-covid) they were even discussing (with the public in a classroom style set up) how to deal with approaching emergency vehicles and that soundproofing on cars is so good nowadays that the sirens are becoming less and less effective.

Thus they're sticking lights galore on the cars. In the USA they're using a "rumbler" which vibrates the ground to get your attention, because no one notices the sirens anymore. Lights are the way forward.

... But yet, without any cohesive argument, you've written off the idea of flashing lights on your bike and thrown them in with Santa and Big Foot (presumably to say that you simply don't believe it's true)... but still you reckon a bike being unnecessarily loud is some kind of a safety feature.

And yet here I am, having only passed my test, a learner for the past few months, getting to grips with the basics, learning as I go, on bikes that are no louder than your average car, and I've not had to beep, rev, skid or slide to avoid murdering someone (despite almost all of my driving being in towns and built up areas). It's weird, that, isn't it. It's almost like a loud exhaust doesn't do anything but irritate other people and adds nothing of worth to your riding in terms of safety at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Melted

Good man.

Lights won't work on people who don't use their mirrors.

I've a fazer Foxeye. Headlight is like a spot welder and some people still don't see it. The more strings to your bow on the road the better. End of.

Get 5 years experience and have this conversation again

• Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭prunudo

Each to their own, agree to disagree but over confidence of a newly qualified rider who scoffs at an experienced bikers antidotes rarely ends well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

It gives the truth to the phrase “A little knowledge is a dangerous thing”. And I say that as an inexperienced rider. Passed my test 2 years ago and only have 15k km under my ass.

Then again, this lad is the same one whotried telling us that driving without insurance is ok when it’s only short distances and early in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭robbie_63

haha don't start that one again, that dragged on for days!

No need to bring that up. Now he's gonna be off on one again.

But yeah, pontificating after riding uninsured is a bit rich.

I am late to the party who is it ye are reffering to? im not exactly pro myself but the last thing I would dream of doing is turning up here with a few months expirience and start telling people how to ride :P

How have you only got 15k km in 2 years?

I'm on a bike about 4 months and I'm hitting (roughly) 8k km. Maybe you need to get out more and practice. My uninsured riding obviously did me well, passed the IBT without any issues, Passed the test first time (with a near clean sheet, too - only one fault). It's interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Oh look. It’s a willy waving contest

In this case the bikers anecdotes are "have a loud bike and it'll save lives". It's complete bollocks.

It really seems to kill you, and I've no idea why. I've flown through the IBT, Test, gotten lots of experience and you're still sitting seething that I dared to practice and take it seriously before finishing the IBT. You're the only one that ever mentions it (still!)

Are you going to make the argument that a louder bike will be safer in traffic, despite other people (not even me) already having established that the exhaust faces backwards and people in front of you don't hear it until you're beside or gone by them?

So it's not pedestrians anymore, now it's cars that the exhaust is geared towards. The pedestrian argument fell apart so now we're moving to the argument that rear-facing noise works (despite it already been discussed that noise doesn't work). I even rambled on about how emergency services (with front-facing sirens specifically made to get motorists attention) don't consider noise to be much benefit anymore.

Anyway, I'm gonna bow out of this thread now, as most people don't seem to be even reading my replies before trying to squeeze their "but, but, but" comments in, that are largely already discussed and shown to be nonsense on repeat.

Good 'ol Boards. Never change.

Fact is, you're very new to this game, as am I, a couple of years in. I also 'flew through IBT' and got a 'clean sheet' as you put it, although mine was clean, zero faults, first time of asking. I then went on to get a top score on the aon2, have done advanced lessons and am currently waiting on RoSPA test, also did Garada Bikesafe, I rode through a lot of Europe over the last few months too including the Netherlands during a storm in February. After all that, I still know people like @blade1 would leave me behind when it comes to their skillset. You can't buy experience.

That's not a dig and im not out saying I did this that and the other for a pat on the back, im doing it for self preservation, I just think you need a small attitude adjustment. One thing being humbled on the mats (you mentioned you do BJJ, me too) you can reset and start again, you don't get that chance on a bike. Keep it rubber side down

Well I was going to say you come across like you have alot of expirience in relation to these made up scenarios, just wanted to check with you or is it all anecdotal evidence?

Anyone with a brain knows the sound is backward facing, I have even said that myself. but I am just wondering what your expirience with people hearing you while filtering in slow/stopped traffic?

I'm all for safety, anticipation, precautions and always assume that you're not being seen by others. The argument that was being put to me was that having a louder bike meant you (the rider) and others (pedestrians mostly) were safer. This is nonsense. I'm new to bikes, but I reckon I have done more than half a million km in a car in the last 9 years.

I'm not wishing harm or ill on anyone, nor saying loud bikes are death traps. Just that it's a silly argument to try to equate noise with safety. If you've got a loud bike, just admit it's because you want attention (people aren't making the comments you think they're making, but it's for attention nonetheless). Dressing it up as road safety is farcical.

• Advertisement

I haven't made up any scenarios. Everyone else has. I've just reiterated the same point repeatedly - "Loud pipes" are not a safety feature.

My experience with people hearing me whilst filtering, is that they most likely don't hear me at all. The first they know of my presence is when I've passed them. Obviously, I can't say that for sure, but that is what I assume, based on my experience driving a car. Most bikers tend to just 'appear' beside you because they're moving generally a lot faster than other traffic, and have a habit of being hidden by other cars when you're doing your mirror checks.

(unless you mean in actually stopped traffic, like at red lights and such, in which case you can often see them in the mirror first as they're the only thing that's moving, or even if you don't see them, you're not a threat to them as you're not moving, anyway).

Advertisement