Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,488 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

He sounds like a gamble, but he's just a kid, I suspect he'll improve in time, but not take off straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

With Nunez signing, it's difficult to see Carvalho getting much playing time up front apart from in the domestic cups. Salah, Nunez and Diaz are likely to be the starters with Jota and Firmino on the bench.

Minamino got 1,016 minutes in 24 appearances last season. Origi got 598 minutes in 18 appearances.

If Carvalho is indeed going to feature up front then it's likely that he will get Minamino's minutes.

In midfield, availability is the key requirement, Tchouameni would have provided a massive boost if he had signed. Henderson, Keita, Milner and Thiago will breakdown if they are over played and that has a knock on effect on Fabinho. Jones, Elliott, Morton and Carvalho are too young and inexperienced to expect consistent performances from in the event that they are required to play for a sustained period.

Oxlade-Chamberlain got 1,529 minutes in 29 appearances. It's conceivable that those minutes could go to Jones (1,530), Elliott (585) and Morton (545).

I'd actually favour taking Christian Eriksen on a short term deal if the club's chosen alternative to Tchouameni isn't available. He has the creative quality to play in our team and if he could play 1,800-2,000 minutes during the season it would go a long way towards maintaining the levels of Henderson and Thiago. We need both of them to be at their best when they are available to play rather than tired and going through the motions and more likely to sustain an injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

Are you saying Aberdeen actually asked for £4m for Ramsey when approached by LFC and have now changed their minds and want £10m or are you saying £4m was reported somewhere and now £10m is being reported somewhere but no one actually knows what if any price was asked for (or somehow quoted) by Aberdeen for Ramsey and we just now have a wider selection of reports all of whom are speculating as to what Aberdeen may want for their player?

I’d like to see Erickson signed, he is free, available, proven quality and seems a good guy. Provided of course he would pass a rigorous medical. He could alternate with Thiago and the front three would benefit from his vision and guile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Would it not be a more defensive minded midfielder we should be after? We only have Fab and Hendo to play the 6 role and both are injury prone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

It's interesting our own new striker and City's will probably add a similar directness and aerial prowess to both teams.

Trent will need to aim higher this season........ with his crosses😄

With two outstanding players in Salah and Diaz on the flanks, if this guy is descent with his head or just uses brute strength of bash a ball into the net, he is going to love the service from Robbo/TAA/the Greek Scouse. Rather than trying to go around defences, we can hopefully go over them as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Not a big fan of Simon Jordan however he speaks very well here on the whole net spend thing

“Klopp’s net spend is £28m-a-year, Pep’s is £100m-a-year!”

“Liverpool are able to sell players yet progress, that should be admired!”

“Liverpool spend what other people pay them for their players!”

Simon Jordan defends #LFC spending big on players like Darwin Nunez.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Eriksen can cover for Thiago primarily but he's also a player that isn't afraid to get stuck in, unlike Jones and Oxlade-Chamberlain which makes him a good option if both Henderson and Fabinho are not available. I think Morton will get more minutes in the 6 role next season, particularly if there are two more senior players in front of him. Fabinho is not required for every game and with 5 substitutes there is plenty of opportunity to rest him with the option of bringing him off the bench if required.

Klopp was without Fabinho for the home game against Brighton last season. If Keita didn't get injured it probably would have worked out, but he was replaced by Oxlade-Chamberlain and as a duo himself and Jones let opponents by unchallenged and run at Henderson. Morton was sat on the bench watching. From what little we have seen of him in the first team, Morton is the player to introduce in that scenario rather than Oxlade-Chamberlain. He has the awareness to not let the likes of Bissouma, Mwepu or Lallana ghost past him. That's a lesson learned for next season.

Fabinho played the entire game against Shrewsbury Town in the third round of the FA Cup. Henderson played the fourth round game against Cardiff. Those are the type of fixtures that should be trusted to Milner and the young players like Morton.

Henderson played 3,876 minutes in 57 appearances.

Fabinho played 3,693 minutes in 48 appearances.

That's too many minutes for players that are vital for big games towards the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Finishing here is top quality. Good feet, makes space, quick and direct. I'm very excited we haven't had a striker like him under Klopp.

https://twitter.com/Sporf/status/1536309910966784004?t=H5LKKwMnnPh_LNptSVcffg&s=19

Maddock is reporting tonight Mane wanted £400k a week on a four year deal.

That works out at just over £83m over those 4 years in wages

Liverpool will get £42.5m form the sale of Mane

Nunez will be paid just over £30m over the course of his six year deal.

Liverpool will pay £85m for Nunez

Nunez ends up costing Liverpool about £13m to replace Mane

So putting the business of running a club you can see why it makes sense for Liverpool to turn over the talent now

Post edited by Agent Coulson on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

I suppose because I don't know his character yet. He has a Torres build. Does he have a Torres character? Is he the **** bull? Please God make it so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

As well as looking at the money, you have to imagine what the situation will be like in let's say 3 years time. You'd hope Nunez has improved under Klopp and is banging in the goals, Mane might have declined significantly due to age and is earning 400k(or whatever) to sit on the bench, which leaves a starting spot that needs to be solved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

I never got the increasing wages for declining players myself,a 4 year contract at 30 yrs old on huge wages is never a good idea,unless that player is irreplaceable.

• Advertisement

It doesn't make business sense if you're a self sustaining club.

I don't think think Salah will be banging in 30/40 goals in 4 years anyway if he stays.

If he goes it'll be interesting how he does. Klopp has transformed him and plays a game that totally suits him. Also, how many other clubs will have a TAA type player behind him.

Imo, for him to stay near the top of his game he should stay. If its money he's after he should go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Poor Lyon fans. Gillett family after buying a 60% stake in the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

God love Lyon fans

25m for bisssouma, a klopp midfielder if ever I saw one. Missing a trick there provided his legal problems are behind him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Kinda leaning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Impossible to watch that third goal and not compare to him to Torres. His timing, gait and body position when shooting are all very similar, and the way he finishes that chance is exactly how Torres would too in his prime, though it might have gone just wide given it was a left-footed shot.

That second goal is a thing of beauty

Joyce says we will look for a midfielder next summer so Nunez, Carvalho and maybe Ramsay look to be it. That's a pity we could do with another midfielder I guess Klopp has big faith in Carvalho and Elliott.

I'll be happy if it means we can go all out for Bellingham next summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

"Liverpool remain interested in Aberdeen’s Calvin Ramsay, 18, and have bid £4 million plus add-ons. The Scottish club want bonuses which would reach nearer £10 million."

From Paul Joyce's article today

Gini back on loan for a year would be ideal, but it's probably not an option for any of the three parties involved. Still reckon he can do a job, and last season was a rest for him compared to what he's been used to at Liverpool.

But in the unlikely event that a high quality midfielder is available on loan this summer, that's the move to make if we're going all out for Bellingham next year.

Bellingham in January, be grand!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Some talk of Bellingham being signed this summer. Jobe Bellingham that is, Jude's younger brother. Apparently the pair were spotted in Liverpool last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

30mil over 6 years? Paul Joyce in the Times has it around 43.7 mil. Signing on fee and agents fee will add another chunk on to the deal.

You're also working under the assumption that Mane wouldn't have negotiated at all on salary. Realistically you could knock off 10 million assuming he'd settle for 350k

Joyce breaks down the transfer fee.

The breakdown of the transfer fee — an initial £64 million, plus around £21 million in add-ons — is important. Benfica will receive £75 million if Núñez plays regularly, but the rest of the bonuses are linked to player success, in terms of goals scored, and team success. The full amount will only be payable if Liverpool win the Champions League.

You and I are not working under the assumption the journalists we are both reading and posting about are the ones working under the assumptions.

• Advertisement

Maddock reporting Mane to sign 3 year 360k per week deal with Bayern. Some wedge fair play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

His move is only partly about money imo, he wants to get out of salahs shadow, supposedly his contract negotiations were I want the same as salah which meant neither negotiations could move forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Massive boots to fill for Mane replacing Lewa. I can't see Mane scoring as much as him and it could mean plenty of pressure from media and fans because of that.

I wish him all the best and I think he will do well there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Would be pretty disappointed to not get a midfielder this window. We badly need one and will barely have spent anything when outgoings are taken into account.

Ya same I'd be pretty disappointed too but Diaz in January was meant to be this summer so I'm not sure how much we have to spend really.

If the club are clearing out a few players with Origi, Mane, Ox, N Williams, Philips and Minamino that’s a lot of wages coming off the books with only Carvalho, Nunez and Ramsey coming in.

If Bobby and Naby sign new contracts I doubt they will get pay rises they will probably stay were they are now or like Milner take a reduction with bigger add ons

That would now gives the club a bit of wiggle room to maybe pay Salah what he wants.

Fair play to his agent for negotiating that. It’s far too much for this stage of his career but I’m delighted for him to be getting it, he certainly never would at Liverpool which I’m quite happy about.

He’ll be missed for sure, but Mane heading off feels very, very different to Torres and Suarez departing. We’ve gotten his very best years out of him and now he can earn huge money for a few seasons in a much easier league.

Wolves ready to let Ki-Jana Hoever go, PSV are interested in him.

That was another great deal by the club letting a highly rated teenager go for £9m in part of the Jota deal.

Thanks robwen, good to know it's not that they originally asked for £4m then changed their mind and asked for £10m. Seems like it's bog standard horse trading and unless another club Ramsey is happy to join comes along a deal closer to £4m then £10m will get done albeit it may have plenty of smoke and mirror type add-ons allowing Aberdeen to claim they might eventually get close to £10m e.g. if Ramsey wins the Ballon d'Or etc

• Advertisement

No way Naby Lad takes a pay cut, he'd be better off doing a Bosman next summer when he'll still only be 28, sign a 4 or 5 year deal with a huge amount of the saved transfer fee going towards an inflated wage, just like Gini did and to a lesser extent Mane is doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

We should attempt to gazump Spurs for Bissouma. He'd be an excellent player to rotate Hendo and Thiago with. And £30m is a relative steal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Oakley Cannonier had 41 goals last season, are the days of the Owen's getting a chance gone in the modern game. Max Woltman is another that needs to see a path to minutes on the pitch. Would be great to see some breakthroughs this season.

Foden already has 4 full first team seasons under his belt at 21.

Jaysus it must be some medical he is doing today now it is gone 5pm and still no leaning pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

He does. I wonder if there were assurances given to Spurs that they're willing to proceed?

• Advertisement

Unless, lord forbid something showed up during.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The standard in the prem is now just far above where it used to be, so the gulf from the 18s to the first team is massive. Cannonier has to keep up that level of goal scoring at reserve level at least first before he can start getting some first team minutes. Talented kid though.

Woltman is just nowhere near good enough, would need to improve hugely to ever have any chance of getting any sort of sizeable first team minutes. I’d say he’ll play a couple years for the reserves and be sold.

Owen was head and shoulders better than those lads at the same age. Neil Mellor is probably a closer comparison to Cannonier for the moment. That sort of early jump to the first team can still happen for sure - like Trent or Sterling - but it takes a special player.

Elliott & Jones now have a 3 week hoilday before returning for pre season and then flying to Bangkok for a friendly against Man U on July 12th.

Not much of a break really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

As well as the sexual assault court case, I don't think he would fit in under the 'no d1ckhead policy'. He's had a few run ins with the law - he has 5 speeding tickets too.

On the field, I don't think he is good enough on the ball to play for Liverpool. He doesn't have the passing ability of Henderson and nowhere near the ability of Thiago.

Spurs will suit him as he can break up the play in a pressing role from deep. Similar enough to what Kante done for Chelsea under Conte & Sarri. Spurs don't really want the ball, they just want to release the forwards quick. He won't break teams down who are defending in their own half.

• Advertisement
Advertisement