Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric, Hydrogen & Hybrid Electric Buses in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭d51984

I wonder will these have the camera mirrors. There was a chap on flickr who took daily photos from Wright bus, donrobni, worth keeping an eye on his site. Hopefully Clontarf will be getting some of these. There was talk of putting chargers in the car park accross road from the garage.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

I'm surprised the camera mirrors haven't been trialled for evaluation purposes by the Union/company vehicle design commitee on some of the PAs yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭thomasj

Easily mistaken.

It says electric trial on the front of the bus

I wouldn't be surprised if GAI get some of the electric single deckers maybe some shorter wheelbase ones which could manage for the 59/L21.

Tbh most of the GAI fleet is fairly young the only buses that will need replacing soon are the ex DB AXs used on their term time routes. The NTA can always cascade buses from DB for GAI routes which they've already done for a lot of their fleet so they don't nessecarily need to buy new buses for GAI.

When the GAI routes were still DB operated they mostly got the older buses and in London outer suburban routes mostly get older diesel buses whilst central routes get the newer less polluting hybrid and electric buses.

This is the advantage of having the NTA own buses as opposed to operators I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Because they can't even get the current mirrors to stop wobbling about, causing the plastic framing to crack and perish after only a few months in service.

• Advertisement

I thought all PAs should've been purchased with camera mirrors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,245 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

BTW Anyone know if they went with models with the 340kWh or 454kWh battery?

It said 454kw battery on the side of the bus in Nerrion Square that was on the news anyway.

Weather that means they ordered that battery or not I do not know.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Included in the 800 are a couple hundred for BE, so they aren’t all for the Dublin City Bus fleet.

As a result I don’t think it would be quiet enough to get rid of every Diesel bus, but it should be enough to get rid off all the older ones, leaving us with just the newer Euro 6 ones, the hybrids and these EV ones. I’d assume there would be a future order in 5 years time of more EV busses that would eventually get rid of the last of the Euro 6 diesels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭DaBluBoi

It's worth mentioning that BusConnects is still ongoing, and given the major increase in PVRs under the launch of the F Spine in early 2023, I can see all of the SGs sticking around, and maybe some newer GTs too. Anything older would be easily wiped out tho

Anyone know whats happening with the buses they are replacing, the diesels?

Are they being scrapped/sold/shipped off somewhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭d51984

Sold off. EV and VG, Ide say they will hold on to GT and SG.

VG class are 2008, 09, then a gap until 2012 for the GT. That right?

Its a disgrace Joe!

The SGs will all be withdrawn just like these new electric buses will be eventually.

There'll be a big expansion of services throughout the country so not all will be replacing. Already DB have had to bring back some AXs into service due to the introduction of the N4 route. I'd say by this time next year all the DB fleet should have centre doors bar the 2 WSs if you want to be pedantic.

The newest SGs are only 2 years old so I can't see them being withdrawn anytime too soon.

I'm guessing the Athlone diesels will be moved to some new routes in another town as they are 2019's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭TranslatorPS

Dublin Bus revenue fleet at the moment is actually closer to 1100 buses, including their 24-strong Tours fleet however. Personally I note 48 AV/AXs (of which 21 Tours), 66 EVs (of which 3 Tours), 147 GTs, 569 SGs, 25 VGs, 24 VTs, 2 WSs, 9 tester hybrids, and 214 PAs as of last Friday. The maths is simple by those numbers: 115 standard-length deckers from before 2010 are still in PSO service (and the VTs, but it's obvious they're not going to be replaced by tri-axle deckers because why would they...), and I would suspect that while there is service level expansion planned with the rollout of BusConnects, whatever needs to be replaced will be replaced as soon as possible anyway.

By the 14-year rule we should already have seen the back hide of EV1-50, but to be honest, a selection of every year's batch has made it to their 15th if not 16th year in service every single year for the past at least 6 years - case in point, the surviving 06 AXs.

Of course there is then the 157-strong GAI city fleet for their 1st contract, but the AXs might as well be dismissed from that count, so say 148. After dismissing the 11700s the oldest buses in GAI fleet are from 2013 anyway, so Ballymount isn't in any sort of dire need of replacing - perhaps accounting for service expansion, but that's it at most.

======

What has been brought to my attention in the last couple of weeks is some sort of a new legality being brought about by the European Union. If this indeed goes through, and I believe it will, as it has been voted up AFAIK, then basically from 2025 onwards cities above 100k population will be allowed to sign new PSO contracts with operators using only low- and zero-emission bus fleets. Disregading there being only two such cities in Ireland and disregarding there being only a single nationwide transport authority, in the current direct award PSO cycle with DB and BE that would indicate that there is now a seven year timeline to get them (definitely DB anyway) in line to fulfil this criterium before a potential 2029-34 contract. Mind you, this will also really start messing around with the GAI contract - its default run expires next year, but the NTA can extend it for up to two years pending good operating record (no we're not going into this discussion please), so if the NTA chooses to give GAI two full years, then it would appear that the follow-up contract would have to be low-/zero-emmission as well, as it would come into play in 2025.

Source >> https://www.skyscrapercity.com/threads/%C5%81%C3%B3d%C5%BA-autobusy.196515/post-178889528 (the surrounding discussion is in Polish, but the screenshots around this are in English)

The 15b is still regularly served by a single door bench-seated AX class, which feels strangely nostalgic. I'll miss them somehow when they're finally gone for good

Very interesting TranslatorPS. But we have to remember that the NTA are quite unique to the best of my knowledge in the sense that they own the buses which the operators operate on their behalf.

To the best of knowledge most gross cost contracts are tendered on the basis that the operator owns and operates the buses. I know it's no longer in the EU so not relevant but London buses are mostly owned by the operators not TFL with the notable exception of the LT class. FYI it's actually almost the exact opposite of Dublin model where the authority owns the buses and the operator owns the garages.

The NTA could always try and find a way at succeeding at getting around these regulations if they come to fruition. Either some loophole or failing that a special dispensation similar to what Irish Rail has meaning it doesn't have to be split between infrastructure and operations subsidiaries. Although I do notice IE are doing more to split operations and infrastructure in recent years.

I bet you a tenner that the final occurrence of them will be this December on the 16 :)

Side note: are all of the single decker EVs supposed to arrive by the end if this year, or will deliveries continue until next year?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

All 45 single-decks that are ordered will arrive this year. The framework agreement is for up to 200 so additional orders are possible.

I hope the new buses won't be as bad as the streetlites as they're both wrightbus integral products. I've been on the streetlites and they're awful noisy (guess an electric bus won't have this issue), the breaking on them is dreadful and I notice the driver always looks very awkward driving them.

• Advertisement

Just on that on those new regulations do they mean only hybrid and electric vehicles can be used or can Euro VI vehicles also be classed as low emissions I wonder. If Euro 6 meets the requirement they shouldn't be a huge issue for the GAI contract.

Yes, you have a fair point - after all, while DB and BE are still more of a mixed bag, GAI only own themselves four of their revenue fleet buses (the E200s, 2701-2704). Dublin's model is VERY rare on the contracting scene, and as you rightly point out, the typical practice is to have the Operator provide the buses for themselves. I suppose from the Authority's point of view, the argument for providing the buses to the Operator could be that it shifts the purchase costs from the somewhat predictable (off the market prices anyway) but variable element of a tender offer to a known constant in their own costs. It could however be the case that there are legal restrictions in other countries - but then again while there are none such in Poland, I believe there hasn't been a single case of the City/Authority providing buses for a private Operator (there have been NTA-DB style purchases, yes, but not Göteborg-style City-ownership Operator-driving), but I think this is more to do with throwing the resale problem at the Operator.

Anyway. If we take the wording of this literally...

...whereby it says "only to entities using only zero-emission and low-emission buses" (btw the following bracket there answers your later message), then we could assume that the plan is to cover both the typical Continental scenario and the Göteborg/Dublin scenario. Also on the very left, "to exclusively purchase".

The single most common complaint about StreetLites I've heard from GAI drivers is about the brakes and steering. And frankly, reportedly no-one enjoys StreetLites in the UK either.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I could be wrong, I haven’t read the proposed legislation, but I’d assume that it would only apply to newly purchased vehicles from 2025 on and that existing vehicles would be grandfathered in.

It wouldn’t be very environmental to have to scrap a brand new Euro 6 Diesel bought in say 2024 just a year later.

Brilliant, thanks, that is very good news, more range and makes sense for Dublin I’d say.

Beep beep

The ride is very quiet and smooth! The NTA's model will have a few differences but the demo is very impressive.

It's going to Bus Éireann in Limerick tomorrow.

And I thought the PAs looked futuristic enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Ireland trains

Will the buses have windows along the staircase?

Nope. Still undecided on camera mirrors. The demo bus had it.

• Advertisement

Oh no no, that's not the idea here at all - as far as I understand. My understanding is that any operating contract signed before 2025 continues as is, but anything signed in '25 onwards would have to conform to the low emission requirements. Hence I highlighted the current DB contract cycle, which would see DB sign a new contract in 2024, which would allow them to continue with the current fleet until 2029 (if they continue the five-year cycle), but as far as I see it, they'd have to operate a low-/zero-emission fleet for a 2029-2034 contract.

A lot would depend on the actual energy usage, but I suspect they'd be able to do about 200 km on a single charge.

(Maths behind this? My homecity's Solaris Urbino 12 electric have 116 kWh batteries and are said to be able to do about 60 km. In a direct capacity-to-mileage distance that amounts to about 235 km, but we have to account for the double-decker being heavier, so I shaved off a bit.)

Advertisement