Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Joker movie - starring Joaquin Phoenix (MOD: May contain Spoilers)

Options
1414243444547»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Todd Phillips posted an Instagram showing Phoenix reading the script, I don't think he'd potentially put his head on the barrell if there was any chance of Phoenix not returning. It would be genuinely hilarious though

"hmm, hmm, hmm" snap "nah, it's shite, I'm out"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I would absolutely love if the film is indeed about Joker and Harley - I just meant the title could be referring to Arthur and Bruce as the family members (as Arthur believed them to be) and if the film jumped forward a few years to Bruce as a troubled teenager.

Harley is more logical as you say.

I don’t remember Joker liking the psychiatrist.

The director clearly thinks he has a story and direction for the character to go in. Just that the likes of yourself and myself can’t see it.

Pheonix has already said several times he is interested in playing the role again if they can find the right story.

They fact they dropping these tidbits must mean that Phoenix is definitely onboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,326 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Right.

The first film works because it's a simple riff on 'Taxi Driver' and 'The King of Comedy' set to the shape of a famous comic book character. It's the build up to who we know that's the only interesting part of the film and without that I cannot see what the sequel would offer, except another take on some other Batman villains.

I know it'll never happen in a million years, but 'Joker' should be a one and done as I think that any sequels will just dilute it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I wonder if DiCaprio would have played a better Joker than Pheonix?? I wish he had done that role instead of that stupid Tarantino Hollywood film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,634 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Lady Gaga in talks for Harley Quinn

• Registered Users Posts: 33,778 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Maybe he's going to do it like The Hangover 2 and just do the same film again but set in another country.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,609 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's more than that: the Hollywood Reporter is claiming the sequel may be a musical; honestly, go for it Todd Phillips. I think you're a hack but if we live in a world where a sequel to Joker gets to be a full-blown musical, maybe things aren't completely broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,326 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

If it really is a musical, I can see all the fans of the original melting their faces off in fits of rage.

Lady bleedin Gaga though...wtf?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,634 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,609 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It depends how true it is, and how hard Phillips fights for it. Perhaps the musical numbers will be part of various hallucination sequences, skirting the actual "musical" moniker. Given the first film hinged upon Joker imagining his girlfriend, it doesn't seem a stretch they would mutate into full-blown musical things.

The collective rage alone would make it worth it.

Lady Gaga appears to be a solid actor by all accounts, she seems to be quietly building herself a career, without too much fuss.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,475 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Wasn't too fond of the first and I'm not convinced by Phillips' writing/directing chops... but if they are making a sequel, a complete left-field turn in terms of genre seems like an intriguing and promising way to go. They should go wild.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,198 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Hopefully they do go wild and a complete about turn would be a very fitting tribute to the character.

You have to admire the balls of the direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,682 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

WB proabably see this as a free hit after the first one made a billion at the box office.

Tell Phillips and Phoenix here is a budget of 70 million go have fun.

No matter what they make it will be a box office hit right off the bat in the first week and make a profit and if is the word of mouth spreads that it's good they could have another billion dollar movie on their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,852 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

A musical , dear God, say it aint so.

It won’t be a musical.

The Hollywood Reporter has assumed it is because Lady Gaga is in talks or they overreacted to a leak that there is a musical number in the movie - which if true will talk place in Joker or Harley’s head.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,475 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Both Variety and Hollywood Reporter have reported independently that it’s a musical (at least in its current form), so it wasn’t just a random rumour plucked out of thin air or a wild speculation based on casting.

the fact that another media outlet is reporting the the same thing doesn’t mean it it is true .it just means they poked around and some one (a wag perhaps) “confirmed”this rumour.

and as I said in the post the casting rumour is just one possible cause of the other rumour - another could be that they got hold of information about a musical number in the film and thought “musical” then they are plucking stuff out of thing air

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭buried

I can totally see it being a sort of musical. Given the first films penchant for aping a good few of Scorsese's classic films, stands to reason they could also imitate Scorsese's usage of various old boombastic classic rock and pop tunes to the score and incorporate those songs or even parts of them (Jumping Jack Flash, Love is Strange, Be My Baby) as some sort of sparse quick cut hallucinogenic editing technique where the characters perform certain parts of these classic songs.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Lady Gaga has been confirmed as a star in the Joker sequel. The news presumably released to distract from the ongoing WB, DC shítshow.

• Advertisement
Advertisement