Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

In hindsight missing Moore, Murphy, Lowry, Addison and Stockdale was pretty costly.

Much better if Moore or O'Toole (who I thought was outstanding today) are coming off the bench than Milonisvach. Likewise Jordi instead of Matty Rea and if one of those back three players were fit then we aren't relying on Moxham, who to be fair didn't do anything wrong.

It also has to be said that the bench have given McFarland no reason to trust them in earlier games this season so I have some sympathy for him.

On the final try, how on earth did the Stormers manufacture a 1 (maybe even 2) man overlap when we have a man advantage. I guess we were wrecked and just couldn't regroup in time. And on that whether the kick was over or not, I doubt it matters, there would have been only one winner in extra time and it wouldn't have been us.

Individually I've mentioned O'Toole already. Rea, Timoney, Burns and Moore also were all very good. I don't think any individual had a bad day which makes it all the more frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭baas baa

Ulster spent the last 20 minutes trying not to lose when it was there to be won.

There was a moment about midway through the 2nd half where the game turned, Libbok lobbed an aimless up and under from good field position into the Ulster 22, you could see the Stormers beginning to run out of ideas and the crowd getting frustrated. McIlroy claimed it and returned an even poorer kick into the middle of the field, a phase or 2 later the Stormers kicked again and McIlroy ran straight under the ball and the Stormers reclaimed in Ulster's 22. You could sense the belief coming back into the Stormers players as if they knew that Ulster were struggling even more than them, from then on it was an onslaught.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Just a great contest between two very closely matched teams. Balacoune going off was terrible luck. He was the key in both the first half tries. Burns coped well in a pressure cooker. Scrum was solid. Rea and McTimoney were great. Duane and Hendy showed up; latter probably showed a bit too much tbf ( ) ).

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Itxa

Looks like the kick was just about good from this angle. Congratulations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

The fact Leinster lost means they get jumped over by the Bulls for European seeding for next season.

This means Ulster drop down to 4th seed which means tier 2 team, and a much tougher draw probably.

If Ulster had won they’d have jumped up to tier 1.

Post edited by Jump_In_Jack on

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Itxa

The European group stages have become a joke with four games played to qualify. So essentially even if you get a Toulouse or Saracens as one of those team you can still go through to the last 16 by winning your other two games against a lower tier opposition. It’s prevented merit and the best teams proving their quality over more group games. Add to that, a last 16 means most teams go through. So I think ranking means a lot less than when the groups had four teams per group. Nonetheless, it is always desirable to be top seed to prevent upsets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

I thought the Ulster forwards ran out of gas more than anything else at the end. Must say I was pleasantly surprised how resilient Ulster were after conceding two tries. Any word on Baloucoune? Again he showed how lethal he is against top opposition.

Toulouse are through to the Top14 semis, so they will be either tier 1 or tier 2, Saracens are in the final of the Premiership, so they will be tier 1.

Ulster won’t face either of them, Ulster will face two tier 3 teams, one of the 5th or 6th teams in France and one of the 5th or 6th teams in England.

I could be mistaken but it think those teams will be:

La Rochelle or Bordeaux/Racing,

Gloucester or Sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,563 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I think Marty was missed. He's a he'll of a good player. O'Toole was great though! Ulster have had a good season and are going to be a major player next season.

I don't think there's too much depth, so injury could be an issue. If Izzy kicks on and McAnn too, they will be in a good place. They have a talented nucleus and some good coaching!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,449 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

It's a pity Deegan or one of the other 9000 Leinster backrows stuck on the 2nds couldn't be tempted north for next season.

Sure Ulster were No.1 seeds after the pool stage this season and still had to play Toulouse.

I really yearn for the days of 4 team pools with everyone playing each other home and away.

I didn't mind the two legs this year for the last 16, but they've even done away with those now. I swear the EPCR are deliberately sabotaging the competition these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭launish116

Indeed, I know Leinster rotate a lot, but Ulster's no.6 jersey is there for the taking. Not to mention Vermuelen will rotate a lot more I'd of thought. That's no slate on Rea jnr but there really is room for ball carrier with plenty of game time at 6/8. We really missed a trick with Murphy going to Connacht.

So in my view a lack of depth cost us yesterday. Dan McFarland didn't seem to trust the bench, which I can understand to be fair, and ultimately we just ran out of puff. Now we should have put the game to bed early in the second half and that's down to us not being clinical enough.

But as far as depth goes, the question is, will we better off next season?

Squad changes

OUT

Jack McGrath Prop

Ross Kane Prop

Bradley Roberts Hooker

Mick Kearney Second row

David O'Connor Second Row

Sean Reidy Back Row

IN

Jeffrey Toomaga Allen Prop

Declan Moore Hooker

Frank Bradshaw Ryan Second Row

Sean Reffell Back Row

Jake Flannery Out Half

Jude Postlewaite Centre/Wing

Shea O'Brien Full Back

I honestly have no idea if those signings make us stronger or not, I really rate Postelwaite and while I havent seen O'Brien play I've heard positive reports, but I think the key will be as much the development of the likes of Callum Reid, Tom Stewart, David McCann and Cormac Izuchwuchu as the players coming in. If those lads step up we will be in a healthier place IMO. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

For me the big three there are Toomaga-Allen, Refell and Flannery. If they can all prove live options, we're in a better place. Billy Burns trying to play on on one leg has blighted a number of our last quarters in games.

Yeah Flannery is an interesting one. As I said last week I had high hopes for Bill Johnston, Flannery is a similar sort of signing. But he probably has more chance of getting ahead of Madigan than Johnston had.

Toomaga-Allen has to be way ahead Milanovisch, after yesterday I can only see O'Toole being more heavily involved with Ireland moving forward so this should be a good signing.

No idea about Refell. Has he been featuring much for Saracens this season?

Dunno, in all honesty.

I do think your last point above is the key - Reid, Stewart, Izuchukwu and McCann are crucial. If they deliver, we'll be in a much healthier situation.

We're already in enviable shape in the backs - the idea that we haven't really had Addison or Stockdale all season is crazy. We had a 22 year old centre playing FB in URC quarter and semi finals, and ended both games with two 21 year olds on the wings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I think it's a mistake that they're not looking at McCann more as a six. Supposedly they've told him to work on his carrying, but there'd be less need for him to be a big carrier if he was at 6 rather than at 8. I think he's ready for this level. He was excellent against Leinster earlier in the season.

Would he have offered more than Matty Rea coming off the bench on Saturday? I think so.

Have to agree also, think he is better suited blindside

Greg Jones has been preferred as well, but he's injured currently.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure what the hold up on McCann is.

Perhaps they are treating the same way they did Marcus Rea. Just bringing him through gradually. I think he is still only 22 so has loads of time. But it is curious that he disappeared completely. I don't remember him ever playing badly. In fact the more he played the more I seem to remember thinking he was becoming more influential.

So humour me for a moment and suppose that we have a full squad of backs to choose from for say Clermont at home in the Champions Cup next season, what is your backline?

The half backs are fairly easy to pick in Cooney and Burns, although Doak will hopefully keep applying pressure on Cooney.

Noo debate over the centres.

So we come to the back 3.

Baloucoune is a no brainer on the right wing and I'm hoping we aren't going to continue the Stockdale experiment at 15.

Left wing is Stockdale or McIlroy and full back is Lowry, Moore or Addison.

Maybe the left wing is an easy enough pick if Stockdale is at his best, but if he isn't then McIlroy comes into the debate.

Full Back is tough. Moore has done really well, but I wouldn't put him in the same bracket as Lowry and Addison yet. So Lowry or Addison at 15? Addison is such a classy player, but it's not that long ago that Lowry was pretty much the best player in Europe. I think Lowry can get to a level Addison can't so I'm going with him, but it's a close call.

So

15 Michael Lowry

14 Robert Baloucoune

13 James Hume

12 Stuart McCloskey

11 Jacob Stockdale

10 Billy Burns

9 John Cooney

That's a pretty exciting backline.

Would anyone go with McIlroy and Addison, or someone else?

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think next season will be a big season for Doak and he may give Cooney a fight for that jersey. This year was like an introduction for him, playing major minutes week after week until the business end when he was put back in the cupboard again.

I like McIlroy a lot but Stockdale is better, and I think he'll come back into the team for his size alone.

22 Today I think. Part of me thinks he was ready for defensive side of the game, but lacked the power for offensive side. Read somewhere Dan told him to improve his carrying. Rea Snr took 2 seasons or so before he looked fully ready for the physicality so he has time on his side.

Really not a fan of this just dropping players never to be seen again. Quite a few have gone awol this season predominately in the forwards, Reid, McCann, Andrew & Moore. This is exactly why our depth sucks players parachuted in as last resort.

Also read today Vermuelen wasn't left out of the South African squad, he has a knee niggle and supposedly going for surgery to clean it out.

I reckon Ulster will be better poised next year. Marty Moore will be recovered and fit and ready. Addison should be back and Stockdale too! I think that McElroy will push Stockdale and Stockdale must earn his place.

If Flannery and FBR pan out, there could possibly be some silverware next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Scythica

Reffell was playing for Sarries up until it was announced he signed for Ulster then tended to drop out of the 23. They have of course unearthed Theo McFarland who took up most of his minutes in the back row alongside Earl and Billy V.

Never really saw the logic in the signing, punt albeit. We needed a blindside.

Reffell is 5'11 and around 15 stone, assume he's a 7 with a huge work-rate, he could be a direct replacement for Seán Reidy.

He would be a different type of player to the likes of Timoney or Murphy. Might be useful to have a range of different options depending on the opposition, horses for courses so to speak.

Dan McF with us until 2025 at least

• Advertisement

Good work there! I think he could do a job with the international team.

Advertisement