Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbridge Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Damien360

hire a strimmer and a lawnmower for the day in Newbridge Hire in the industrial estate. Doesn’t have prices for hire on his website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

I have considered that but when you add the cost of the rental for both and then the removal of the cut grass and branches i would imagine it is not far off the cost of a service to cut it and remove it. the amount of cut grass will be enough to fill several brown bins then add trimmings from a tree that were left in the garden for months. its just a massive mess

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

Most landscapers etc will be flat out at the moment with bigger jobs and wont have any interest in something like this.

I don't have a specific recommendation but I would lookup local handyman types or if you do strim and cut it, a waste removal service you see on social media etc like kollect. More likely to get it done quickly through these

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Pm sent to Tommieboy26

does anyone commute from newbridge to the intel site?

got offered a job there today and i am looking at public transport and there is nothing the gets there for 8 am. just wondering if anyone here knows or takes public transport and can tell me what they are using

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Petermc83

Roadworks at the Liffey Hall / Belin Woods junction for the next 2months. They are building the new roundabout for the Belin Woods development.

Avoid at all costs, the backlog of traffic will be v heavy both trying to get into the town and leaving on the Athgarvan Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Random question but does anyone know a place one could park a motorhome overnight in the Newbridge/Curragh/Kildare Town area?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Hi

Apologies for only replying now. Did You get sorted? I do the trip every day from Newbridge to Leixlip. I am aware that You may have got sorted but in case You haven’t, there is now a bus service from Hazelhatch station to Leixlip. I think the number is L52 and I’m not sure how near it goes to Intel.

Good luck if You got the job.

Hi thanks for that. I did get the job I start on Monday. I looked into this and your right there is a bus from Hazelhatch. Its the number L58. This might be the best option for me.

Congratulations Tommy.

Only one thing, check the route of that bus. I think it turns down Easton. I also think the roundabout off the dual carriageway from the M4 to Intel, this roundabout might me the closest to Intel. But I’m not certain.

Post edited by WishUWereHere on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

When I lived down that way up til a couple of years ago there was a place near Athy and about 15 min from Kildare Town.

https://www.accommodationathy.com/caravan__camping.html

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Jess2019

Does anyone know what is planned for the entrance of liffey hall? They seem to be working on the footpaths there at the moment

I think the plan was to replace the lights with a roundabout

• Registered Users Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Roundabout - works going on till 15 August

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Hi Folks, just about to get the keys to a house in Curragh Grange and was hoping someone could advise on some reliable utility companies, specifically the bins and internet. It looks like Virgin Media dont cover my house, so there out on the internet side. Need something decent and reliable (who doesn't) as Ill be mostly WFH The ol bin companies don't seem to be great.

Any help on the above would be much appreciated.

AES and Oxigen for bins. Prices both similar and are on their websites. We use Oxigen and have always been reliable.

I’m surprised VM is not in curragh grange. Does the house have a SIRO connection for fibre ? Check Vodafone site using your Eircode.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭DopeTech

AES for bins.

Pure telecom for Siro broadband

Get a free to air tv installer to install a dish and aerial and buy a fta/saorview combo box that will give you all the features of sky without the bill. The Zgemma h7s would be the one most on here would go for recently. Unless you are particularly into your sports then there’s no need for a sky sub.

Post edited by DopeTech on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Oxigen for bins. Reliable. They send a text if your account balance is getting low.

Sky good for broadband - no issues. We did have a subscription for Sky TV but got rid of it due to lack of use. Kept the box so have FTA channels for when I do watch TV. Most of my viewing is BD or DVD whereas the kids have Disney+ and Netflix subs.

I have to give thumbs up for Thorntons. They have never failed me since I moved over from AES.

Thorntons charge an annual fee and a fixed charge per lift. I saved nearly €150 in annual fees by switching from AES.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

AES came up in the oul google search for me, but I was somewhat alarmed by the amount of recent 1 start reviews for them not showing up to collect the bins.

I used the eircode to check with Virgin, i was surprised too, may give them a call to double check. Have them in D12 where I am now and never have problems.

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

• Advertisement

Been with AES since October 2014 and never had an issue with them. Anytime a bin wasn't collected (rarely) we've been texted and the delivery was arranged for the next day

Very few issue with Sky for Broadband and TV (SIRO Broadband)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

My sister is with AES, and a few weeks ago they missed collecting from her whole estate (down by Newbridge College). When complaints were made, they initially said "We'll be back around in 2 weeks" meaning 4 weeks of rubbish building up. They eventually agreed to make the collection 5 days late.

I left AES in 2014, when my bin mysteriously went missing after one pick-up (it probably fell into the truck). It was at the end of my annual payment so I switched to Oxigen, and haven't had any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Repo101

Anyone know if they plan on improving any services in the area?Town is getting lots of new housing which is bringing people into the town but there seems to be nothing mentioned about services e.g. new playground, schools, swimming pool (the ones in the town are a kip) etc. Living in the town 20 years but seriously thinking about moving.

Kids only got school places this year due to their sister having attended the same school previously. Town is heading in the wrong direction full of houses and industrial development but no services to match.

Hard to justify the price of housing in the area when the level of services are so poor and next to nothing to do for kids or young adults which just inevitably leads to anti-social problems. The new walk down by Pfizer has been destroyed by travellers encamping illegally and the Gardai seem to do nothing about it.

Nothing new. Partly due to useless local politicians and local people failing to understand you need to vote in your local rep, not the Naas/Athy one. It’s been said for years that the town lacks any services but it’s been ignored despite a population very close to Naas numbers. It’s long forgotten by the council but nobody will learn.

As for the gang on their holidays down on the ring road. They all have money and homes easily found using car registrations yet there is not a single political party willing to grab the thorny nettle and enforce fines and take property. If you did the same on the side of the road, you wouldn’t get a day before being shifted on. Which of us is getting discriminated upon ? It ain’t the gang.

I agree with every word You say Damian. There must be around 50 caravans out at that sprouting village-I wonder what the powers that be in LIDL think of this new township literally right on their front doorstep?

I also agree with You on who we elect. I only hope that the electorate learn from the silence of our ‘local’ TD’s. The only exception I think would be Cathal Berry. Remember we even have a TD who went on holidays when she should have been canvassing. But we the electorate are the ones who elected her in? Personally I haven’t heard from her since. Have any of our TD’s driven out the Athgarvan Rd in the last 2-3 months?

The town lacks GP’s school places especially secondary, but the powers that be just seem to carry on building houses.

There are no local TDs from Newbridge.

Cathal Berry lives in Portarlington, Patricia Ryan lives in Monasterevin, Martin Haydon lives in Narraghmore or somewhere out that direction and Sean O'Fearghail is an Athy man.

Patricia Ryan got in on a protest vote and I would be shocked if people voted for her again considering she doesn't seem to engage with constituents at all. Does she even exist?! The only leaflet I've received since the last GE was from Cathal Berry. Fiona McLoughlin Healy and Ronan Maher were the only two Newbridge based candidates at the last election.

None of the incumbents are any good in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

The posters on the politicians neglecting to display their bias

P Ryan hasn't she had town hall type meetings in estates in Newbridge, defo was one in the LHD area and Bishopland in Kildare, you know the kind of stuff FF used to do years ago

Im from a very working class area of Newbridge and it was well served by Labour for years but non existent to FF/FG etc

The SF vote doesn't seem to be a protest vote as the party is around 35% nationally

Berry will unlikely to be back in again as people can see he was a FF proxy almost

Newbridge is well served by FMH on a local level but independent like her will struggle to make it to TD level. SF recruited J Pender from her role as an independent councilor and she is well liked locally.

Newbridge does not have a strong political voice on a td level at all. Nowhere near one. Heydan has the rural/gaa/farmer role tied up. Can't see FOL offering the locality anything different enough to vote in as TD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Im with AES years, moved to them from Ray Whelan and cant fault them

Eircom for wifi

Having a meeting in two areas in South Kildare with no public notices is hardly engaging with constituents. You can cast aspersions about my bias but you're completely wrong. I voted for Ryan at the last election but I don't think I will bother at the next election. Maybe I'm being unfair to Ryan as none of the incumbents really bother trying to engage until the minions come to the door looking for a vote but I'm surprised at SF, potentially blowing away a good chance to consolidate a seat in South Kildare by doing absolutely no work or promotion on the ground.

A good portion of that SF vote is a protest vote. Thinking otherwise is delusional.

I also think you're wrong on Berry, he will still attract voters and I would expect FMH to do better again at the next election.

The LHD area has one of the lowest voter turnout in SK, along with Bishopland, Maryville etc. Perhaps Ryan will show up at the next campaign, unlike '20...

• Advertisement

I see that pop-up village out by Lidl is gone but from the dual carriageway, one can see the pile of rubbish.

On another note, anyone know what’s going on in the field under Sexes Bridge? Surely not more houses?

Advertisement