Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport security waiting times

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,582 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The operator of Dublin Airport has said it has suspended new bookings for its "Platinum Services" facility in an effort to optimise resources.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2022/0608/1303675-airport-platinum/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

conveniently the DAA CEO used it the busy weekend but categorically denied "that he did so to avoid queues"

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

DAA attempting to poach already security cleared staff now from various other airport employers. Reportedly upped the hourly rates for search unit to €16.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

The clearance procedure apparently includes liaison with authorities in any other place or country where a person may have lived, so it is not an Ireland-only process for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Its like a more detailed garda check for a job I think. So yes, there has to be a liason with authorities for every address you've lived in. Its quite involved and yes it does take time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭donkey balls

The Gardai vetting has always required them checking up on addresses were people applying lived abroad, There was a change in January with enhanced vetting were by another Gardai dept not the one in Thurles who have always dealt with vetting from Airport workers to medics and anyone dealing with vulnerable people.

As for €16 an hour that's an insult for working the hours involved, You would think the DAA would reverse the T&C to what the current security people are on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭VG31

That's excessively early. The DAA advice is to arrive 2.5 hours before a short haul flight, and up to one additional hour if you have to check a bag. Ryanair have self bag drop machines so you wouldn't need an hour.

https://www.dublinairport.com/covid-19/covid-19-travel-advice

I understand wanting to arrive as early as possible, especially with a family. However passengers arriving too early are just delaying those who follow the advice and arrive 2.5 hours in advance. 9.20 is not a peak time. You also have fast track.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭anplaya27

Took me 2 hours from 5.30 am sat .

Post edited by anplaya27 on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭abff

That’s why I never book an early morning flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭MeheeHohee

Have a flight to Rome next Wednesday at 6.20 from T2, have bags so advise is 3 and 1/2 hours. Only bus I can get up arrives at 4, I assume this would be plenty time? Am I right in thinking most of the long ques are T1? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I think the fact you’ve bags you could be really pushing it, are your flights flexible could you move to a later one? Very risky, if the flight is going this Wednesday too maybe check wait times Wednesday morning.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Went out to Bristol on Ryanair on the 9th (Thursday), couldn't post till now, as laptop died, and getting things sorted on desktop took time.

Arrived at Blue zone at 03:10. for a 06:30 flight, first hassle was that ANPR wasn't working, and finding which card was used to make the booking for the car park wasn't easy in the poor light, they really need to get their act together on the information side, and very small fonts on a piece of almost blank paper don't make it any easier to sort out. More on that later, the attendant swiped us in with the card, and that was hurdle one overcome.

finding a free space was "interesting", but we did get in to one, and we were dropped at T2 (No T1 drop off any more) at 03:35. Walked up to T1, got into the security queue, and we were airside by 04:30. 45 minutes at that time of the morning is not great on a relatively quiet day, our flight had all of 60 people on it, and there were plenty more like that, the issue was simple, T1 has 15 scanner lanes, and when we went through, there were 7 actually operating, presumably because there are still not enough staff available to man more. I still am amazed by just how many people are still not aware of the rules for what has to be put through the scanner in the poly bag, and what clothing has to be scanned, and that's just another aggravation that causes delays. There's no two ways about it, Osama Bin Laden and his henchmen well and truly Fcuked air travel with their activities, and the fact that 20 years on, we're still messing around with small liquids in a poly bag, having to remove belts and boots and take valuable items out of their cases for scanning says a lot about how sheep like we've all become. I dread to think how much goes missing at airport security, between phones, tablets and laptops in plain sight on the belts, I suspect it's a large number, and catching the people responsible will be almost impossible.

Departure was not too bad time wise, we pushed back about 10 minutes after due time, but it took a long time to actually get airborne, which meant we didn't arrive in Bristol on time. No great surprise there either, there are over 30 departures out of Dublin between 05:35 and 06:35, and that doesn't allow for long haul and freight arrivals, and there were plenty of them to be seen.

No big deal for us, but there were a number of people who were desperate to get off the aircraft at Bristol, as they had connections to get to, and Bristol is the same as everywhere else now, even with no bags being transferred, you have to exit arrivals, and then go back up to departures and through the security checks etc.

Coming back in the evening, Bristol security was not an issue at 18:45, we were through in less than 5 minutes, and then had plently of time, as our 20:25 scheduled flight was delayed by over an hour, so we eventually got back into Dublin at about 22:40.

It's a LONG walk from the 100 gates to arrivals, and then to the new shuttle bus pick up point that's over by the T2 multi storey car park, and that's something to be aware of for anyone that's suffering mobility issues, one of my group had to stop twice on the way to the bus stop to allow the pain in her back to ease, a long day sitting on a variety of not particularly comfortable seats for extended periods took it's toll.

We got to the Blue car park at 23:20, and after a hassle getting out, because the system getting in 18 plus hours earlier hasn't correctly processed us, we got home again around midnight. The car park exit system is not well labelled, and trying to work out how to deal with it if the ANPR doesn't register is not easy, between poor lighting, next to no instructions, and very small type on small stick on labels, it is NOT a user friendly system, but sure, why should we expect anything better from tech nerds at DAA.

I've been flying in and out of Dublin for close on 40 years, and the simple truth is that it's no longer any pleasure to use Dublin, between the hassles of security, the lack of comfortable seating in the gate areas, the appalling quality of the PA systems, and the marathon hiking distances, the pleasure has well and truly gone out of it, and we were lucky, it wasn't raining when it came to boarding, there's nothing worse than standing on a wind swept ramp in the rain because the gate started processing before the aircraft was ready to board, and that's a regular issue these days.

The confusion from Ryanair and DAA doesn't help. We had 2 emails from Ryanair, about half an hour apart, one saying allow 3 and a half hours, then a later one saying 4 hours, and the on line app was still saying 2.5 hours if no bags. On the day, we had plenty of time, but it's clear that they are balanced on a knife edge, and it doesn't take much to screw the system up.

I never thought I'd say this, but it's getting to the point where going over on the ferry with our own car is looking like an attractive option again. The flights were cheap enough, but if you want to add in a night in a B & B, and then factor in the obscene prices that are being charged for car hire at the moment (the cheapest car on offer when we checked in on Wednesday night was a Fiat 500 at over £400 for ONE day), it starts to look a lot more attractive than going by air, given the total travel time that stupid check in delays are causing, the time to fly to Liverpool or get the ferry to Holyhead is almost the same now for an early morning flight, which is crazy, and some of the duty free offers on the UK ferry (4 litres of spirits for €40 ) are very good, but of course, you can't use them at Dublin because of the problems of liquids at security coming back.

Perhaps we should take the easy option, and get from the entrance of the terminal to the gate by OCS, at over 70 it would not be an issue, but it's still hassle and aggravation, and for now, not going to the UK is not an option, with even older parents who need visits from us, we are going to have to keep going for a bit longer.

So. that was our day. The good part of it was being able to suprise my 98 year old mother on her actual birthday with an unannounced visit from 2 of her great grand children, who she's not seen since before Covid, the look on her face when she saw them made it all worth while, but we paid the price for it the following day, we were absolutely fit for nothing for most of the day.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Has anyone used the 'evening before' bag drop and check in?

we've a flight at 6:30am, and It'd take off a lot of pressure I could do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Flying on Saturday at 14:10 with Ryan air and I need to check a bag.

The plan is to be there 3.5 hours before the flight as per guidance.

But wondering if this is really necessary now?

Ryan Air bag drop in T1 is usually completely painless compared to Aer Lingus in T2. Since this is not an early morning flight most of the queues should have died down by then, right?

Any advice?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

We did it at Easter, it was a life-saver. Make sure you're eligible (Aer Lingus flight to Europe before 8am, I think), and head to the airport the night before. I used the self-serve machines and it worked like a charm.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

2.5 hours should be fine that time of day. there's no queue at the ryanair bag drop

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Thanks for that feedback. We are going to do this.

Right, we haven't flown since pre-Pandemic. Just need a refresher as to what we need to do going through Security.

Family with Teens on early morning flight so everyone will be tired and cranky !

So,

- Remove shoes and belts.

- Take out laptops, phones, switch console - do any other electronics, chargers etc need to come out ? Cameras ? Bluetooth speaker? Power Banks ?

- Have Liquids all 100ml or less in clear plastic bag

- No sharp objects

- What about jewellery or medication (nonprescription) ?

Anything else ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭Masala

Those clear plastic bags MUST be sealed..... they go loopy if they don't seal.

Don't do anything g stupid in the morning with chemicals (domestos / weedkiller / petrol.. etc) as it gets traced on your hands and leads to a world of questions and searches when picked up by the scanners etc (Been there.. done that!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

To that I'd add, the clear plastic bag needs to be 1litre, no more. It's quite small!

You won't always get pulled up, but I did once, and had to ditch half my liquids. She was absolutely immovable on it. And I've seen other people stopped for taking the proverbial.

And it needs to be out and separate in the tray (put it on top so they can see it).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭bikeman1

I was on a 13:30 flight on the BH weekend, and had NO queue for either Ryanair bag drop or security. That's right no queue! We arrived 2 hours before and sailed through. It is a lull period in the middle of the day at T1, so it's fine. T2 was slower at that time according to the app with the transatlantic afternoon wave of passengers going through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭bikeman1

My top advice for everyone is, put it (everything) in your bag / jacket BEFORE you get up to the scanners.

Watch - in, mobile phone - in, purse/ wallet - in, jewelry - in, keys - in, belt off and in the bag etc. etc.

Think what you are wearing for footwear. A nice pair of comfy soft shoes are ideal, stay away from boots as they ask for them to come off.

If you are checking in a bag, check all your liquids in, bring none on board if possible. If not, have them ready to go in ONE SEALED bag, all less than 100ml. Have that bag in an accessible pocket near the top of your bag.

Finally, have any laptop or ipads out or ready to be ejected when you get to the scanner.

Walk up, put the bag straight in the first tray, pull out liquids, place beside the bag, laptop take out and hold, then push the tray out. Laptop in hand, place it on the next tray and push it out (has to be on its own), finally jacket jumper off in the last tray, quick check you haven't forgotten anything, push and away! It should literally take 20 seconds max.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Thanks - this is really helpful.

I also presume that there are no issues in getting something to eat and a pint at that time in T1?

Thanks for that advice. Really helpful tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'd also say that if you're even remotely likely to get distracted during the whole process, have all your jewellery and phone, wallet, etc zipped up safely in a pocket or bag long before you ever get near the belt.

I have left my watch behind in a basket before, just didn't notice it in the faff of putting my shoes back on and picking up other stuff, while waiting for the big bag to get secondary swabbed etc. It was only new, I was very lucky I noticed, and that I got it back!

I also have a bangle that looks light enough, but sends scanners into overdrive for some reason, and that's another thing that's very easy to miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

We used the day before check in with Aer Lingus. Highly recommend, we did it at 4pm day before and had to queue (was checking in baby stuff like cots and car seats). Felt very relieved when I saw the checkin q the next morning.

Quick question on the Evening Before Check-in with AL - do you check in online first and then drop the bags the evening before the Flight or do you check in at the Airport while dropping the bags the evening before?

Sorry if that's phrased weirdly but we have Priority Boarding and 10kg Hand Luggage which on AL website says that Check-in must be online. But when I messaged AL about the Evening Before service, their reply said to Check-in at the Airport.

I am confusing myself!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

Pretty sure either! I had already checked us in online so was officially just dropping bags. But then the girl at desk offered to print my boarding passes to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I never use a washbag on holidays. I just put my 100ml liquids and all my wash stuff (toothpaste, toothbrush, deodrant, earplugs, etc etc) all in the famous resealable bag. Never once been questioned on it.

All liquids must go in that bag (<100ml each of course) but anything else that is non liquid can too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Quick question - I booked flights with BA this morning and couldn't find an option to add a fast pass. I've had colleagues getting fast passes with theirs - but I only see it on the business fare on their site. I'd rather pay for a fast pass somewhere as it might help with the queuing. DAA currently has a pause on sales. Any other way to access one - other sites, loyalty etc? I have two to use with Aer Lingus from my BOI credit card but they want you to have your booking with them, and mine isn't.

Advertisement