Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

AS who do not have a legitimate claim will have have their applications rejected and be deported at the end of the process. I posted the numbers a few pages back.

The conflation between refugees from an actual warzone and Asylum Seekers (mostly economic migrants with French or London accents once they stop pretending to not speak English) is infuriating but not unexpected.

I don't think it's really left wing.. it's just agenda driven. (Like RTE used to be ultra conservative when I was young) The woke, feminist, PC, etc.. while associated with the left is more than them. Actually RTE reminds me a lot of The Guardian, again.. very agenda driven depending on the context involved.

But agreed.. they'd rip any new party to shreds, but I think that's because they know where their bread is buttered... any new party would likely axe a pile of them, or the whole thing altogether. They might have to get a real media job then, and compete with others on a level playing field.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭enricoh

A 600% increase since the Brits said thanks but no thanks. At the same time our politicians gave those already here an amnesty n proposed giving asylum seekers full welfare n keys to their own gaff after 4 months.

The Brits loss will be paddies gain- fill yer boots Roderick n Helen. Also try book every hotel room in the country for next year- ye'll need them!

Post edited by enricoh on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

RTE was always a Labour Party stronghold, it might have put out material which pleased the church etc but the people who ran it were committed lefties

• Advertisement

At this stage I'd actually place more faith in SF putting the brakes on immigration once they take power, they won't do it now as they need to virtue signal to court the progressive vote who are thinking about voting SF but when they get in ,they are less likely to be concerned about frowns from RTE and the Irish times etc

SF don't seek respectability like FG do and Michael Martin does so are more likely to ignore the media and NGO tribes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

I wonder would the British let us piggy back on their Rwanda idea? We could pay a percentage, it might just work. We could set up a new flight route from Dublin to Rwanda.

Alternatively Ireland could, or maybe should have during the brexit debates, proposed that the UK and Ireland retain an ability to limit numbers into the countries. Both eu and non eu. Could have been enough to keep Britain in the eu. Who knows. Would such a thing be enough to being them back? Maybe. Would definitely benefit Ireland.

Though the EU could just say no and they did to Britain and I highly doubt the will of the general population to leave the EU. So I'd love to hear proposals/solutions to the issue of mass migration which results in limited integration

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It was the Government of the day who were campaigning for a Yes vote in that referendum though, and it wasn’t 80% of the electorate either. It was 80% of the 60% who bothered to cast a vote in the referendum.

So? Only 60% voted in the SSM vote, 64% in the Repeal vote, the former passing by 62%, the latter 64%, not exactly landslides by comparison to 80% and we (rightfully) patted ourselves on the back for those. I'd bet the farm you'd not try to question the SSM and Repeal votes on the basis of "those who bothered to vote".

You’re still ignoring the fact that the same electorate voted in favour of extending the right to vote in general elections to asylum seekers and refugees on the same day.

I remember local/EU elections on the same day and the constitutional referendum on the birthright law, I don't recall clicking any box regarding votes for asylum seekers/refugees. Link please. It would be some trick for it to be in the same vote, given months before said vote the government of the day was encouraging the same groups to vote and extending the list of documents they could use as ID.

The Government has extended the list of documents acceptable as identity cards in the upcoming local elections to allow refugees, asylum seekers and other non-nationals to cast their votes.

Tue, 27 Apr, 2004 - 12:53

The referendum/local elections vote was in June. Time travelling asylum seekers and refugees. Whatever next. So yeah, when did we vote for that then?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

SF will almost certainly not put the brakes on non EU migration. If anything they'll seek to encourage more.

From what I could see on the ground the Brexit vote in Britain was far less about legal internal EU migration and far more about darker skinned peoples from their former colonies, or darker skinned people trying to get into the UK from the EU. Put it this way; if the UK had been 99% White Europeans, native or more recent people from the EU, I'd be surprised if it would have passed the way it did.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

I do understand why that is what is expected but SF base are not particularly in favour of immigration, the party are cynical enough to go WOKE for votes from otherwise Soc Dem voters now but ruthless enough to do what needs doing when in power

SF aren't burdened by respectability

• Registered Users Posts: 23,754 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

So? Only 60% voted in the SSM vote, 64% in the Repeal vote, the former passing by 62%, the latter 64%, not exactly landslides by comparison to 80% and we (rightfully) patted ourselves on the back for those. I'd bet the farm you'd not try to question the SSM and Repeal votes on the basis of "those who bothered to vote".

I would if anyone were making similar claims about those referendums in support of the idea that Ireland voted by a majority in favour of the proposal.

To be fair I probably wouldn’t give a sugar about the SSM result, it’d depend upon the claims being made, but the 8th amendment and other abortion related referendums - I wouldn’t be patting anyone on the back for them. I’d point out the discrepancy if anyone made the claim that Ireland supported abortion because 62% voted to repeal the 8th amendment, because they’re not the same thing.

In the same way I question the idea that the way Ireland voted in the birthright citizenship referendum had anything to do with people’s opinions on immigration, or the same if we were talking about people’s attitudes to divorce or children and someone was making claims off the back of the results in the numerous referendums we had on those issues, if I thought their claims didn’t sound right.

I guess the “So?” is that I think people’s attitudes to these issues aren’t as simple as is reflected in the results of a referendum on a change to the Constitution.

I remember local/EU elections on the same day and the constitutional referendum on the birthright law, I don't recall clicking any box regarding votes for asylum seekers/refugees. Link please. It would be some trick for it to be in the same vote, given months before said vote the government of the day was encouraging the same groups to vote and extending the list of documents they could use as ID.

That’s fair, I made a balls of that one! We weren’t asked to vote on it.

What a great idea

New funding to acquire contemporary artworks for the National Collection, in new media and on pressing issues including climate change, diversity and global migration, has been announced by Minister Catherine Martin.

The Minister for Tourism, Culture, Arts, Gaeltacht, Sport and Media today announced an ambitious new fund of €1.5 million for the Crawford Art Gallery and the Irish Museum of Modern Art. The purpose of the award is to address significant gaps that remain in the National Collection following years of limited acquisitions. This funding will enable both National Cultural Institutions to acquire works that ensure that the National Collection is more representative of the diverse communities of contemporary Ireland.

SF aren't burdened by respectability

Nor are they burdened by loyalty to the Republic. SF are not any kind of reliable answer. TBH they're essentially the "Trump" choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭Cordell

Well let's make a bet: for diversity and inclusion and representation purposes that art should be mostly European with a Polish majority. I'm ready to bet that it will definitely not be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,754 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I don’t think so. If the art is expected to be representative of the “diverse communities of contemporary Ireland”, Michael D. will be creaming himself at the thoughts of both galleries filled with the works of our ethnic brethren on wheels.

Of course not, not nearly exotic enough. Or politically acceptable enough, or god forfend, reflective of reality. To be fair the wider European psyche has had the horn for the exotic beyond its shores for centuries. Orientalism and dreams of Cathay were huge and the "Noble Savage" from "beyond" was a long running theme. Though mysterious Egypt got fashionable from the 18th century onward, wider Africa really only started to get big in the late 19th century and early 20th. Picasso and his buds were big into it, which replaced the Japanese exotic of the previous generation of artists.

Then again this is the art world so... "this fund will enable them to present challenging works in new media" AKA 90% of any viewing public will look at it and go WTF? 😁 Part of it is also about works from 1800 on, so I suspect a fair chunk will actually go towards that and the "diversity" angle was as much a way to get the funding in the first place. Funding for the arts is hard won.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

Indeed, an unintended consequence of the Brexit vote was that a significant number of East Asian voters voted for it specifically because they felt too many white Eastern Europeans were coming into Britain.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

At the start of the first lock down I sat in the Oncologist's office with my Mother as she was given a diagnosis of stage 4 bowel cancer. The Oncologist didn't want to commit to what her odds of survival where, after that question he asked her if she had private health insurance. This far on she's still waiting for a final procedure that keeps being rescheduled. So, when I click on the Journal and I read that our government is now flying in cancer patients from Ukraine as part of our governments 'solidarity' with Ukraine, while we've never had higher or longer waiting lists in this country I REALLY REALLY want to punch someone.

https://www.thejournal.ie/ukraine-medevac-ireland-ukrainian-soldiers-war-5790108-Jun2022/

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

great summary. btw went into kilmainham hospital yesterday. beautiful building and gardens packed unfortunately with hideous shite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

There was a video doing the rounds; quite some views. “Girl attacked by woman in Ireland” black teenager being assaulted by a white woman. No idea the grounds but which was irish? ..or more tellingly which was Eastern European, as it transpired. All the while taken for Irish - taken for racism; as it caught on across America in particular and it may well have been, but just another example of the absolute pickle we’re putting ourselves in trying to prove ourselves to be anything but

-but then I suppose there need be no Irish involvement, other than playing host to it all. And ultimately you only end up paying regardless

Probably they were more concerned about the numbers of other SE Asians, and those of a darker complexion coming into the UK. Those from Asia are incredibly racist/tribalist/elitist.

I always have a little laugh when race activists go on about racism in Europe.. when it's obvious they have no sense of scale, and are deliberately ignoring just how much racism exists elsewhere. Just because people come to Europe, doesn't mean they've left their baggage/cultural conditioning behind them (especially when the diversity crowds are telling them to hold on tightly to their own culture), and for others, they'll be concerned about keeping what benefits/rights they've gained for themselves, rather than being forced to share them with an ever increasingly "diverse" population.

There is often a resentment towards those of our own race for coming to a foreign country where someone else is established. I felt the same way myself in China, getting rather angry at the antics of the western tourists who generated a lot of distrust/anger over their behaviour, and as such, all westerners were tarnished by that behaviour. It made my living there harder, because collective guilt by race is definitely a common perspective around the world. You build up trust and friendships in an alien culture on a local level, and it's tarnished by the behaviour of foreigners who you don't know, and can't influence. It's not fair, but it is what it is.

Brexit happened because their demographics have shifted too much, and the UK economy is not what it once was. It's not able to support the numbers seeking entry, nor is it socially stable enough to deal with all this diversity nonsense. Those originally foreign families established in the UK for decades would have been worried about where things would lead.. and rightly so, because their families would suffer from the social unrest and economic woes, just as much as the native groups.

Brexit happened because their demographics have shifted too much

An interesting piece of data post vote came out that showed the areas with the largest Leave vote were the least diverse. The areas with greater diversity were all pretty much strongly in the remain camp. So the areas where demographics more seemed less bothered by the shift in demographics

• Registered Users Posts: 8,517 ✭✭✭jmreire

Fantasia maybe, but just let the imagination run wild for a moment or two, and think of SF changing tack on immigration and adopting an anti- immigration stance, what effect would it have on their poll results?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭Cordell

What are you trying to describe is generally described as white flight. Not too long ago it was considered a negative evolution:

Today, it's one of those things we pretend to not see anymore.

Hard to say but what's certain is the media would barbecue them

If it were only that simple, but then again, ask simple questions get simple answers.

But let's take your simplistic reading of the result: Of course areas with more "diversity" IE areas with higher percentages of people who are migrants or of a migrant background are going to be more likely to vote remain, especially when the leave campaign focused on immigration. Turkeys don't vote for Christmas. What would be a more interesting dive into the data would be to look at the White British demographic living in those more diverse areas and their voting patterns.

How much of that effect could be "diverse people" being more likely to not vote for something that could negatively affect them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Amazing how he could write that yet not consider the obvious.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be so quick to criticise, I saw the same stuff around the time of the vote in fairly popular newspapers who also didn't make the link.

Advertisement